Would Fiona and Meg perform better in different classes?

Faellin

Since both characters typically have so much working against them, Meg's statline being terrible for an armor knight, and Fiona having a decent statline for a cavalier, but being stuck in a class that for the most part is unusable in the early DB chapters

After checking their base stats and growths, Meg seems like shes a pegasus knight stuck in a suit of heavy armor with her terrible defense growth but surprisingly good speed luck and res growths. She would actually work pretty well as a pegasus knight with those stats and growth rates. She joins early enough where she can probably get away with being her current level at joining, but giving her a more suitable class would go a long way to making her decent.

As for Fiona, its not really her being in a class that doesn't suit her. She makes a pretty decent tank if trained. Its more of her being in a class thats not suited for the DB chapters due to the early part 1 chapters making cavaliers mostly unusable, so actually training her is near impossible. So if she were as a halberdier or armor knight, she might actually be usable with her really good defensive statline. The other problem is her joining way to low level for when she does join, so probably adjust her base level and base stats a bit, I feel she should be atleast level 13-14 with appropriate stats to match.

With these changes, do you think they would fix both of their core issues? Meg having a confusing statline for an armor unit, and Fiona having a decent statline, but being stuck in a class that just doesn't work with the early DB chapters

Meg, definitely, few characters wouldn't be better out of armor knight anyway. Fiona would lose out on canto though(unless she was a flier), and her joining with awful bases and only being playable in 1-7 and 1-E wouldn't change, so no, she'd still be terrible. I'd honestly do more than give her levels, I'd make her tier 2 at join time. It's not like she'd break the balance considering late part 1 showers you with broken units anyway.

To be honest, just about anyone will be better if reclassed to dragonknight. But you pretty much nailed it on both of them. I wouldn't want to reclass Fiona to armor because her chapters with the DB treats that class nearly as bad as cavalier and it's way worse late game when she actually gets going, but just about anything else would be fine. A class with swords or daggers so she can access a laguz slaying weapon would probably go a long way towards simply feeding her kills in 3-6 and 3-13.

Neither of them will be "good" with these changes alone, but it would certainly help.

I'd also add Laura to the list. Her growths suggest a magic cannon with speed, Bishop/Saint caps make Haar look fast.

Or, hell, just bump up the Female Saint Speed cap, Female Dragonlords have a much higher Speed cap than Males.

I think their classes are the least of their worries (though Meg's class screws her over to a greater extent). It's the fact that they join underleveled in a group that's already exp starved that screws them over.

Edited by Shadow Mir

I like this discussion! I agree that these 2 should be different classes. Other then character and supports Meg has no real reason to be an armor knight with her statline. Fiona i also find was made a cavalier for the sake of chapter 7 part 1. Fiona is the worst Cavalier in the game out of the 9 and even with a class change i think she would still suffer. Its her base stats that just cripple her so much. Meg i agree with 100% that peg knight would work well for her even though peg knights are my least favorite.

I mean, personally for me I would rather change the speed cap for the sword armor by like 6, I don't mind the concept of meg (actually bring some variety to armors statwise), so I'd rather make her class better than make her a different class, her endgame stats are pretty solid I have found.

edit:oh right, fiona too, what @Shoblongoo said.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

I have seen this mentioned a lot, and was curious, wouldn't a good step be to allow you to use those characters for a little longer? I mean, it would be nice if their classes got switched or edited, but they still would have the lacking exp issues. Fiona could be great, if you could use her for more than a few chapters. It seems like they're kind of behind most of the time, Fiona especially.

Meg really should have swapped with Aran in terms of growths. That said they are both pretty much tied in hard mode when Meg leveled one speed point. 

Fiona is technically in the second best class. Her only problem are her terrible bases. Having less strength than level is just sad. When she could catch up, she will become an amazing unit, best paladin tied with Astrid. 

7 hours ago, Rosalina said:

Fiona is technically in the second best class

I wasn't saying she was in a bad class. But the cavalier class line is screwed pretty hard overall in quite a few DB chapters. 1-7 being the only chapter I would say she isn't screwed over in some way. 1E has alot of ledges that she can't access or make use of, which heavily hurts her options on the map. 3-6 she can't even leave the starting corner of the map. So so far 3 chapters she is usable in, only 1 of them she can fully work in.

What I meant is she isn't bad as a cavalier. But cavaliers are terrible for the majority of the DB chapters due to the terrain working against the class. And combined with her being low level at start with terrible bases. Combined with a class that is gimped pretty hard in those chapters, training her is basically impossible.

As someone who has used both Fiona and Meg in my All-Girls (and Fiona again when I was worried about the number of frontliners and slipped in her priest statue), I'd say that while Meg wants a different class, or at least a higher Speed cap for Sword Generals/Marshalls (22 cap for Sword Gen, she hit that in Part 1), Fiona's problem is unrelated to her class. She actually has one of the better Silver Knight cap sets, up there with Astrid. She'd probably need the priest statue to stay competitive regardless of class.

8 hours ago, Faellin said:

I wasn't saying she was in a bad class. But the cavalier class line is screwed pretty hard overall in quite a few DB chapters. 1-7 being the only chapter I would say she isn't screwed over in some way. 1E has alot of ledges that she can't access or make use of, which heavily hurts her options on the map. 3-6 she can't even leave the starting corner of the map. So so far 3 chapters she is usable in, only 1 of them she can fully work in.

What I meant is she isn't bad as a cavalier. But cavaliers are terrible for the majority of the DB chapters due to the terrain working against the class. And combined with her being low level at start with terrible bases. Combined with a class that is gimped pretty hard in those chapters, training her is basically impossible.

You can't exactly send your whole crew to the ledges in 1-E, though, and the first set is not that big of a time save anyway. As for 3-6, it is a very defensive chapter where going off on your own is typically suicide anyway, so again, it's not that big a deal.

Her being in a class that can go up ledges and walk in swamps would unfortunately only make a marginal difference; one might even argue that canto is more valuable in 3-6.

Edited by Cysx

12 hours ago, Faellin said:

1E has alot of ledges that she can't access or make use of, which heavily hurts her options on the map. 3-6 she can't even leave the starting corner of the map.

I dunno - no one besides the BK and Nailah, who are overpowered to the point of not caring, would want to take the first set of ledges, because you're wide open to get sniped by enemies with ledge advantage, which is no bueno. 3-6 is a defense minded chapter, and I'd agree that leaving your starting position is just asking to get killed.

The ledges in 1-E are pretty much a no-go-area for everyone who is not Nailar or BK because there are lots of enemies with range weapon who do serious damage with the might bonus.

That said I always go through the stairs to reach second platform with everyone aside of BK (who kills an archer).