Characters that Join for Stupid Reasons

Pupquake

You get many different characters that join your army for many different reason whether it be revenge, similar goals or connections to others. However then their are the ones whose reasons don't seem to make that much sense. Which characters in your opinion joined the the lord's army for the stupidest reason. NOTE: they can be good characters just that their reason to join is weird/dumb. 

Henry’s reason for joining is literally just “eh why not got nothing better to do with my time” and it amuses me greatly.

then there’s shura in rev who’s just like “welp you kinda already did what I spent my whole life fighting for so I guess I’ll join cause I got nothing else to live for so...”

Edited by Ottservia

Nephene and Brom join Ike pretty early in part 3 for....no reason at all, really. They just leave their village and Brom sets aside his implied distaste for war to join a fight that doesn't even involve Crimea. Unlike team Tormod they don't have any beef in this fight. Same goes for Ilyana and Haar too. 

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Nephene and Brom join Ike pretty early in part 3 for....no reason at all, really. They just leave their village and Brom sets aside his implied distaste for war to join a fight that doesn't even involve Crimea. Unlike team Tormod they don't have any beef in this fight. Same goes for Ilyana and Haar too. 

Ilyana, at least, is part of the merchants' group. So where they go, she goes too. I can agree about the others, though.

5 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I still can't remember why exactly Wrys joined Marth's army

He says they need a healer, so off he goes with them. It's a sensible reason, regardless of what the gameplay dictates, or that eventually other healers join too. It's more on the practical side than personal, but far from being foolish.

Ilios, because there's literally no reason for why he won't join if Olwen is alive, especially since he doesn't seem to have anything against her or what she's fighting for. I also don't get why Saias won't stay if Ced is recruited.

47 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Haar hates the Begnion Empire and how corrupt the Senate is, so that's kind of why he fights for Ike's group in Part 3

Johan in Genealogy is the absolute worst about this because not only is he joining an army where he will likely be placed in great danger, but he's also turncoating on his family and killing his own brother who is as noble (or I'd say more noble) than he is by joining Seliph's army.  And why does he decide to sacrifice so much to join Seliph?  Some stupid crush on a girl that scarcely even reciprocates his feelings.  Never in his recruitment dialogue or even his conversation when he fights his father Danann does he speak about the morality of his choice or the injustices his father committed; it's all "I'm fighting for love, justice... and Larcei!" and it's the absolute dumbest shit.

Oh, and let's not forget the amazing recruitment of Nomah.  A great, powerful sage who raised and trained one of our protagonists and her retinue, you'd figure he'd have as grand a return to our forces as Mycen would, right?  Nah, he's just a senile old bastard who got lost in a building he ought to be familiar with.  Good job, Nomah.

50 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Gaius.  "Oh hey candy" made me IRL facepalm.

tbf, he was already on the fence about his job...

But it is stupid that the thing that pushed him over the edge was just Chrom dropping some candy.  Not hearing about the job being to assassinate Emmeryn, and not the fact that one of his supposed enemies offered him a chance to surrender instead of just running him through, but Chrom just conveniently having candy to share.

31 minutes ago, Yexin said:

erk

literally joining because serra

It's... stupid to do what you're told by the person who's paying you money to follow their orders?

I'll be sure to tell my employer that.  They'll definitely see the reason in that.

4 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Johan in Genealogy is the absolute worst about this because not only is he joining an army where he will likely be placed in great danger, but he's also turncoating on his family and killing his own brother who is as noble (or I'd say more noble) than he is by joining Seliph's army.  And why does he decide to sacrifice so much to join Seliph?  Some stupid crush on a girl that scarcely even reciprocates his feelings.  Never in his recruitment dialogue or even his conversation when he fights his father Danann does he speak about the morality of his choice or the injustices his father committed; it's all "I'm fighting for love, justice... and Larcei!" and it's the absolute dumbest shit.

Oh, and let's not forget the amazing recruitment of Nomah.  A great, powerful sage who raised and trained one of our protagonists and her retinue, you'd figure he'd have as grand a return to our forces as Mycen would, right?  Nah, he's just a senile old bastard who got lost in a building he ought to be familiar with.  Good job, Nomah.

tbf, he was already on the fence about his job...

But it is stupid that the thing that pushed him over the edge was just Chrom dropping some candy.  Not hearing about the job being to assassinate Emmeryn, and not the fact that one of his supposed enemies offered him a chance to surrender instead of just running him through, but Chrom just conveniently having candy to share.

It's... stupid to do what you're told by the person who's paying you money to follow their orders?

I'll be sure to tell my employer that.  They'll definitely see the reason in that.

When Erk joins in Eliwood/Hector's story, he's no longer under Serra's employment. He's under Priscilla's employment, and he joins Serra's group as a means of protecting Priscilla from Laus' forces.

19 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

I also don't get why Saias won't stay if Ced is recruited.

Haar hates the Begnion Empire and how corrupt the Senate is, so that's kind of why he fights for Ike's group in Part 3

For Saias the issue is more like the other way around. As he tells Leif, he has to go to Braggi Tower to do... something. He doesn't elaborate what exactly. The problem is not why Saias leaves if Ced joins. It's more like why does he stay if Ced doesn't join.

Despite so he's still not fond of hurrying back into battle. Even his involvement in Part 2 is because Marcia pretty much dragged him into the whole Ludveck affair and afterwards decides to not abandon Elincia with her plight. Willingly joining the Laguz Alliance? That's a whole different matter altogether.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

When Erk joins in Eliwood/Hector's story, he's no longer under Serra's employment. He's under Priscilla's employment, and he joins Serra's group as a means of protecting Priscilla from Laus' forces.

In that story, the reasoning makes even more sense.  Because it not only protects Priscilla, but also makes it easier for them to travel the continent to locate Priscilla's family.  That, and Priscilla isn't quite the loony bin that Serra is.

Though still, for the purposes of protection, it seems safer to travel in groups, even if the leaders of those groups are pursued by assassins and rival nobles.  Either way, don't understand why Erk's stupid for joining the army in either case.

Haar has compelling reasons to be on Ike's side in part 3. 

Spoiler

Haar: Good. I like your mercenary group. They’re laid back, and we have the same goal: crushing the empire.

He likes the laid back nature of the GM and hates the Begnion Empire. 

In part 2, we got a glimpse of Haar's philosophy .

Spoiler

Haar: Loyalty isn’t just a personal trait. Most of it hinges on who’s calling the shots. What kind of commander you’re under. My first commander was only concerned with lining his own pockets. And next was the Mad King himself. Man, I don’t ever want to go back to regular military duty. If Shiharam hadn’t asked me, I wouldn’t have stayed so long. But he showed me what a leader could be: someone who makes following seem like the most natural thing in the world.

Haar appreciates being under a natural leader like Shiharam. Which is why he supports Ike because Ike too is a natural leader. 

Edited by Icelerate

Erika route Amelia. In Ephraim's route she's treated horribly by her CO, is aware she's being used as cannon fodder and expresses doubts on serving Grado before being asked. In Erika's route she is treated professionally and joins the enemy because... Erika isn't as bad as the propaganda makes her out to be and someone she admired was opposed to the war.

All the FE11 Gaiden recruits.

Edited by deuxhero

37 minutes ago, deuxhero said:

Erika route Amelia. In Ephraim's route she's treated horribly by her CO, is aware she's being used as cannon fodder and expresses doubts on serving Grado before being asked. In Erika's route she is treated professionally and joins the enemy because... Erika isn't as bad as the propaganda makes her out to be and someone she admired was opposed to the war.

All the FE11 Gaiden recruits.

But that's a pretty solid reason for joining?  Eirika not being as bad as her side said she was tells Amelia that she might not be getting the entire truth.  The opposition from someone who she has a high opinion of is icing to the cake.  Not sure about you, but I'm not happy when I'm lied to.

Of the FE11 gaiden recruits:

- Athena doesn't get much screentime, so it's impossible to say whether or not this makes sense.  There's a lot that we don't know about her.
- Horace was ordered to, and there's no way a loyal knight like him will go against Nyna.
- Etzel wanted his stuff back, and wasn't too keen on serving the enemies anyway.
- Ymir wanted to keep his village safe.  Once Macedonia/Dolhr show up, the best way to do that would be to kick the everliving daylights out of them.
- We don't know much about Nagi, either, but it's heavily implied that she fought Medeus in the past.
- Norne is the most puzzling, IMO.  But she's technically not a gaiden, just a normal mode exclusive with conditionals.

59 minutes ago, deuxhero said:

Maybe the fact Eirika can convince Amelia where she's not as badly treated unlike in Ephraim route a good contrast to Eirika's strengths over Ephraim, the ability to be courteous and attract followers. 

The thing Eirika is being accused of being "a cruel and merciless fiend", which is cartoonish propaganda at best. At least the claim her brother takes opposing women as slaves being met with confusion works better than her mistaking Amelia for a civilian. She also has no doubts before this in Eirika's route like she does in the other. It's especially bad when Franz recruits her in Eirika's route since there is even less reason for her to join (Frankly Franz being able to recruit her in the first place is one of the more unusual recruiters in the series).

As for FE11, I was talking about how they're literally all joining an army with a 50+% death rate. I remember at least one of the gaidens mentioned Marth was looking for recruits (since he killed everyone else) too so it wasn't just game mechanics.

As for Gaius and Henry, I really ought to look up their Japanese join scripts with all the nonsense in FE13's translation (I already know Henry is one of the characters with a completely different and far worse characterization in English). I may do that tonight after dinner.

Edited by deuxhero

In Blazing Blade, Vaida. She joins because she wants to see Zephiel safe, even though the one who allowed the murder was his own father. So to save him, better go to the other end of the world and leave him alone, right? Also the nonsense like "You saved his life, so I'm in your debt and I'm gonna repay it by joining you". "You don't need to..." "I'm joining!".

In Sacred Stones, I think some characters did not have reasons to stay with the main lords, but had good reasons to join at the moment they are recruited (Rennac and specially Neimi and Colm).

In Path of Radiance, Sothe. He's looking for Micaiah, and instead of searching in her homeland, somehow ends up traveling the damn world without a clue. Devdan is another non-sense.

In Radiant Dawn, Danved. Makes no sense. As his own recruitment speech, he says h'e is gonna help the assault on the Crimea castle even though he's not a Crimean and has nothing to do with them. I disagree with someone who said Nephenee and Brom were nonsensical. Elincia was their queen and they went to assist her when there was a coup. She then rallied her army and marched to fight world and they remained with her.

In Awakening, yeah, Gaius is nonsensical, even at the comedy level. Tharja says the fight is pointless, then proceeds to join the enemy army and fight her own people because she instaloved Robin. Emmeryn is recruited with mental regression and allowed to fight in the frontlines. Gangrel is so very easily forgiven for everything (could be slightly different if you had to recruit him with Emmeryn or at least had recruited her to open his paralogue). Henry joins Chrom's army because he would have more opportunities to kill stuff when he was previously working for people intent on ressurrecting a dragon god that would kill everyone and destroy the world.

In Fates, Keaton and Kaden "I'm lost here in this city so I'm joining your army because you smell/look nice". Nyx is another one who joins with no real necessity (and stays with even less).

Still playing Echoes.

Gaiden (FE 2)

Slayde's recruitment. He tells Celica to leave him alone then when she starts to leave he begs to join her. Much better in Echoes.

6 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

red soldier in PoR's tutorial, blue soldier just asked nicely and it was over.

I almost forgot PoR had tutorials that I almost thought you were somehow talking about Nephenee and Kieran.

Edited by Deathcon
Words.

5 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

Slayde's recruitment. He tells Celica to leave him alone then when she starts to leave he begs to join her. Much better in Echoes.

Saber. Slayde's a different, unrecruitable character that I could somehow see as being that pathetic anyway. If Celica ever met him.

5 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

I almost forgot PoR had tutorials that I almost thought you were somehow talking about Nephenee and Kieran.

One day, I'll sit down and actually watch them. Someone was paid to sit down and write them, the least I could do is give them the time of day.

I actually do legitimately go and read one of the tutorials to refresh my memory on the Anima Weapon Triangle, because I can never remember that myself and it's not displayed more conveniently anywhere I've noticed.

59 minutes ago, bethany81707 said:

Saber. Slayde's a different, unrecruitable character that I could somehow see as being that pathetic anyway. If Celica ever met him.

tbf, it's easy to see most mid-bosses in the series being that pathetic.

1 hour ago, Deathcon said:

Echoes Saber is a massive improvement.

Hell, Echoes improved both starting parties.  They all went from nobodies who would fester in obscurity in the background to proper allies who'll always have something to say about the adventure.

@Lanko I find it amusing that the game you list as your favorite is also the game that, in your eyes, has the most stupid character recruitments.

Tharja's recruitment reminds me of Geitz in the hack "Different Dimensions Ostian Princess" and how his singular trait is wanting to fight for the characters that are winning.  Pretty sure that different dimension gave him brain damage.