Characters that Join for Stupid Reasons

Pupquake

7 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

tbf, he was already on the fence about his job...

But it is stupid that the thing that pushed him over the edge was just Chrom dropping some candy.  Not hearing about the job being to assassinate Emmeryn, and not the fact that one of his supposed enemies offered him a chance to surrender instead of just running him through, but Chrom just conveniently having candy to share.

I won't even say that he was on the fence... he did not want to do it and was looking for an out. Imo he would join candies or not candies, and he just took advantage of the opportunity to get them. But this is just my interpretation of the scene.

It's really more the sheer audacity of it. Gaius helped in an assassination attempt on Emmeryn. And when he meets her brother who is desperately trying to save her life, he has the freaking gall to BARGAIN. And it really shows just how sorry Gaius is, by exploiting the situation he caused like that. Chrom should have put a sword through him right then and there.

Edited by BrightBow

9 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Johan in Genealogy is the absolute worst about this because not only is he joining an army where he will likely be placed in great danger, but he's also turncoating on his family and killing his own brother who is as noble (or I'd say more noble) than he is by joining Seliph's army.  And why does he decide to sacrifice so much to join Seliph?  Some stupid crush on a girl that scarcely even reciprocates his feelings.  Never in his recruitment dialogue or even his conversation when he fights his father Danann does he speak about the morality of his choice or the injustices his father committed; it's all "I'm fighting for love, justice... and Larcei!" and it's the absolute dumbest shit.

I've seen a Russian film with similar plot. The young Ukrainian betrayed his father and brother to join the Polish lady, to help the Polish army to fight back the Ukrainian force, he was killed later by his own father. His brother was executed by the same Polish army he joined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taras_Bulba

Edited by Tetragrammaton