Why you like your favorite title in one sentence.

henrymidfields

As the title says, describe your favorite game in one sentence. What is it that makes the game great? Is it something that was novel? Or did the game's moral resonated with you? Or did you have fond memories of it?

Here is what I'll start:

Persona 4's story is a nice reconstruction of Japanese values in the protagonist's group, where honesty and respect for individuality is given just as much value as to the collective culture of the group.

NieR: Automata is the game who made me see videogames from a completely different, unexpected point of view; its characters are tragic, their dialogues are powerful and emotional, you can really feel that behind this game there's someone who actually has something to communicate, and when you get it, you start questioning about yourself as a person and, most of all, about what really differentiates machines from human beings, in a world where the formers are slowly starting to replace humans, and the latters replace parts of their bodies with mechanical devices in order to love longer.

Edited by Yexin

Until Dawn got me into horror games, the characters were memorable, the game is spoopy af, and the atmosphere is great; it's really all you want in a horror game; absolutely one of the best games ever released in recent years.

Nights of Azure has a fantastic setting, a stellar soundtrack, awesome and fluid gameplay, amazing characters that are both relateable and entertaining, a sequel that improves a lot on the original game, especially with its villain, who is my personal favourite villain I have seen in a video game.

Edited by DragonFlames

Ooh, this is a tough one as I can't pick a favourite...um...

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky is a charming game with colourful 2D graphics; a well thought out story with a bittersweet ending; fantastic character development amongst an endearing cast, and has always stuck with me since childhood.

Honourable mentions go to the Pokemon Ranger trilogy, Pokemon Conquest, FF7, LoZ:BotW and TMS.

Roller coaster Tycoon 1: A game that is all about challenging your creativity by teasing you with a few well built rides to start with or a fancy landscape even when making money or guests in park are the stated goals, out-designing Chris Sawyer is the real challenge of every level.

Oh, we're not listing out our favorite title FOR a video game? Because mine was What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord?

"Conker's Bad Fur Day isn't just a collection of movie references or a game starring the opera-singing sack of shit, it's a game made by the best team of developers at that point in gaming history telling a cautionary story about a guy who learned too late to appreciate what he had in life, since he could lose it all in one bad day."

Diablo II is a game that was less concerned with being necessarily 'balanced' or having a heavily focused narrative in favour of perfecting variety, progression and gearing, to the point where it became an industry influencer for any loot-based games that followed in a way that I still don't think has been topped.

Edited by Tryhard

Pirates! Live The Life! "Hunt for treasure, take over forts, have ship battles,engage in sword fights, backstab everyone, rise in the ranks, dance with governors daughters and eventually marry them, rescue your family, become the best pirate the world has ever known, and overall have fun!"

FTL: Faster Than Light: "The spaceship battle game I always wanted, no matter how difficult it is and no matter how many times I die."

Into The Breach: 

"A strategy game were the satisfaction of making the winning move comes every three minutes instead of every three hours, and the fact that it has mechs and great writing is the cherry on top."

OR

"It's like chess, but with giant robots."

ALTERNATIVELY

"The only mech game where the buildings actually matter."

Sword of the Samurai: "You're a down-to-earth one man army where you gain honor by killing a crap-ton of bandits, there's little difference between assassinating someone and telling them their ancestors hauled dung because they end up dead either way, and if you're patient enough you'll eventually conquer and unite Japan (the awesome music and artwork for a DOS game is an added bonus)."

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a fantastic game with an extraordinary soundtrack, fantastic world design/building and gameplay, one of the best examples of DLC in gaming, stellar characters and amazing story that relates to Plato's allegory of the cave, as well as revisiting concepts explored in Xenogears and Xenosaga.

Edited by Armagon

Favorite?  That's a lot, so I'll just pick one.

Final Fantasy XV features characters, not by-the-book tropes, and is the most upset I've been to date over a car.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Favorite?  That's a lot, so I'll just pick one.

How to miss the point of a word in 1 easy step :P 

Pokemon Crystal just is the definitive Old school pokemon title, ok you can make a case for gen 3 but 2 is really old school withut being buggy as hell as Gen 1.

3 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

How to miss the point of a word in 1 easy step :P

My heart is too big to choose just one video game as a favorite.  I'm sorry.  :P:

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

My heart is too big to choose just one video game as a favorite.  I'm sorry.  :P:

Can't say I'm that different only that my problem comes with the 2nd and 3rd spots.

The Etrian Odyssey series just hit everything right on my notes on games i enjoyed, above average gameplay coming from vairety of choices, fantastic team building options, simplistic core mechanics allowing it to be easilly played offhand while having enough level of difficulty to have a worthy gameplay depth to explore, packed in a simplistic minimalism that leads into extremely fast game pace.

....on a different note

I get that people love a strong storyline, and amazing graphics, but overtime i started to really appreciate when a game can retain simplicity in order to maintain a fast gameplay speed, something that JRPG genres in particular commonly failed to achieve

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

Here's another one:

Persona 4: Dancing All Night's story is essentially Atlus's interpretation of what essentially would be #MeToo 1-2 years after the game's (original Japanese version) release, applied to the Japanese idol showbiz. (And there has been some developments - albeit informal - on that front as well.)

Edited by henrymidfields

Blustone: "It may call itself an 'Anime Action RPG,' but it's really a strategic tap-a-thon with one of the most intuitive gacha systems I've ever seen, the characters are surprisingly well written and enjoyable, it's weird at first but soon you'll come to embrace it, and the developers wholeheartedly care about making a quality product and improving in their own abilities"

ALTERNATIVELY

"It has a werewolf that looks like a kitty that's wearing a tuxedo and has a lightning katana. 'Nuff said."

The World Ends With You taught me important lessons about forging meaningful connections with other people at exactly the time in my life where I needed to learn it, on top of just being a really fun, unique, and interesting game which captures the imagination.