Best feature updates

NekoKnight

New modes and units are always fun but what features and QoL updates do you appreciate the most in heroes? What things make you say "I could never play this game in its vanilla state now that this feature exists"? Optionally, what sort of features do you think would really improve the game even further?

In no particular order of importance, the features that come to mind for me are:

-Skill Inheritance: I remember there were some who worried SI would ruin the game but boy were they wrong. While some builds can get very cookie cutter in the name of optimization, there is still a lot of variety between units because of personal weapons and sometimes unique skills.

-Merges erasing unit flaws: This was a colossal improvement which both incentivized people to spent more orbs for merges (good for IS) and helped players find more agreeable natures. It's definitely a nice feeling to know that getting a +Atk -Spd for a sweeper unit, is now a relatively fortunate thing because it's a merge away from becoming a good nature rather than your next merge been just as much a game of chance as the first copy was.

-Seal organization and expanded Favorite system: I'm going to bunch these together because they're both "ways to find the shit you're looking for easier" but they are very welcome.

For some changes I'd like to see, I want AR raiding teams to be possible to lock, just like your defense. There are skill and seal combos I only use for AR and I'd like to not feel obligated to switch them back and forth every time I switch modes. And for that matter, I wish AR exclusive blessings could stack/coincide with normal elemental blessings. A number of my AR regulars also belong to teams with Legendary heroes and it's frustrating that I have to choose either AR or every other game mode when assigning blessings (somewhat alleviated by me getting into T21 but still, if I take away my light blessings, I won't rank as high).

Edited by NekoKnight

Combat manuals. I'm someone who absolutely despises inventory management in games of any genre. I hate shuffling around stuff like vulneraries weapons with durability in Fire Emblem, I hate sorting through all the stupid greens in WoW, I immediately used the console code in Skyrim to effectively set my weight limit to infinity and I don't even consider playing loot-em-ups like Borderlands and Diablo because their entire raison d'etre is pretty much the opposite of my definition of fun. FEH was heading down that same painful path of never-ending frustration until the Combat manuals update.

The effective elimination of flaws helps along the same lines, but to a much lesser extent.

Agreeing with @Humanoid, I'm thankful most for the Combat Manuals addition. Without them, I would not have been able to keep as many 5* units as I have now without lots of barrack expansion. Plus, there's no thinking about it. I already have every lower rarity unit with an ideal Asset/Flaw, so I can freely bookify every single 3* and 4* unit I get and feather them all later when I need them, plus I now have a very large library of commonly used skills in case I ever need them (which, now that I think about it, I don't think I'm going to need 46 Hinata books...).

A somewhat distant second though, I'd give it to accessories. I'm sure as the game goes on better and better accessories will be added, but right now I'm kinda glad my units can be made... I dunno, a little more unique than others, even if their builds aren't quite.

I wasn't around for SI update, didn't start till around the first spring banner, but that would be very vital.  On one hand it would be neat having Nowi as one of the only DC units, but on the other she's slow as a snail, doubled by everything and not doubling back, so kind of pointless if she's not getting the kill.  I'm going with Combat Manuals for one I experienced, it's great getting to save my fodder instead of feathering everything.  

Combat Manuals are definitely up there, and barracks organization is even easier now with Asset/Flaw display and the merge update. Also the Weapon Refinery helping a bunch of less-supported weapons function properly, particularly staffs but also outdated personal weapons. The August 2017 and April 2018 summoning pool revisions (4* rate increase and original demotions) make summoning a lot more tolerable. Beasts are sweet, and the question of "will they ever be added, and when" for a long time was not fun. It's also nice to finally have Heroic Grails as a source of more free units, even though I haven't used any yet.

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Remember when you couldn’t easily swap spaces (needed to have set your team in the right order before entering the map) and there was only 50 stamina?

Dark days, trial and error abound

Oh god, yeah. And when the Training Tower was the best place to get Exp.

I should have mentioned Combat manuals in my OP. That completely changed how a barracks was managed. Gone are the days where you send home or merge heroes because you don't have enough space. I'm at 600 barracks slots now but I only use 357 now (and it's only that high because I collect the best natures of every single unit I pull, just in case I'd use them in the future).

It's funny that the stamina update was mentioned here, because while it was a great thing to change at the time, day one players have more stamina potions than they know what to do with making stamina essentially a non issue no matter how small the bar is.

21 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

It's funny that the stamina update was mentioned here, because while it was a great thing to change at the time, day one players have more stamina potions than they know what to do with making stamina essentially a non issue no matter how small the bar is.

Not necessarily! I used like 90% of mine on Chain Challenge HM grinding a few months ago, to get enough feathers to get all my remaining units to 5*.

Just now, Othin said:

Not necessarily! I used like 90% of mine on Chain Challenge HM grinding a few months ago, to get enough feathers to get all my remaining units to 5*.

Ah, I don't have the patience for that. The only HM grinding I do is for TT and only enough to get the second best ranking reward (top 1000 or whatever is brutal). I still come out at about even for stamina potions spent because natural stamina gives you plenty of runs plus there is a daily quest that awards a stamina potion. What with most challenges requiring no stamina, I usually don't need anything more than natural stamina.

Hero some informations about each update:

• Version 1.1: Voting Gauntlet, Inherit Skill.
  • Version 1.2: Hero Merit, Swap Places Before Battle Begins, Sacred Seals, Max Stamina increased to 99, Defensive Battle and Reinforcements maps added.
  • Version 1.3: Arena Tier Ranks, Defensive Terrain, Voting Gauntlet Multipliers.
  • Version 1.4: Tempest Trials, Increased number of Teams to 8.
  • Version 1.5: Chain Challenges and Squad Assault added, Increased Barracks Max Size to 1000 units.
  • Version 1.6: Free First Summons,  Appearance Rates swapped for 3★ and 4★ Heroes, Herodex Catalog of Heroes, Arena Assault, Stats Boost to Tempest Trial Bonus Units.
  • Version 1.7: Ally and Summoner Support, Search Function to Inherit Skill.
  • Version 1.8: Sacred Seal Forge, Change Teams before Battle.
  • Version 2.0: Book II added, Legendary Heroes and Blessings, Weapon Refinery, High-Level Skills for Staves, Cooldown Lowered on Some Special Skills, Free 100 space for Barrack.
  • Version 2.1: Thenches added.
  • Version 2.2: Tap Battle, Special Training Maps, GHB Daily Rotation 1.
  • Version 2.3: Rival Domains, Blessed Gardens, 
  • Version 2.4: Grand Conquests, GHB Daily Rotation 2, No Stamina in GHB/BHB/LHB/MHB Maps, Tempest Trial+ changes,  Summoning Pool Demotions.
  • Version 2.5: Arena Changes (5 battles instead of 7 and Stats Boost to Bonus Unit), Tutorial Changes (Free 4★ Takumi and Changed Rarity of Askr Trio), Exp and Sp earned even if unit is defeated.
  • Version 2.6: Added Accessories, Auto-Learn Skills. Various Colors for Favorite Hearts.
  • Version 2.7: Tactics Drills.
  • Version 2.8: Arena Changes (Tier 21), Ground Maps for Blessed Gardens.
  • Version 2.9: Relay Defense Maps, Combat Manuals.
  • Version 2.10: Lite Data Version, Abyssal GHB Daily Maps.
  • Version 2.11: Aether Raids, Heroic Grails.
  • Version 3.0: Book III added, Mythic Heroes and Blessings, First Summon Tickets.
  • Version 3.1: Beast Units, Legendary Heroes are consider Mythic Blessed allies in Aether Raids.
  • Version 3.2: Dragonflowers, Heroic Ordeals, Merge Allies expanded (nullify banes/flaws), Asset/Flaw Color Display.
  • Version 3.3: Inherit Skill was expanded to 4 skills. Changes to Aetheric Lift loss-reduction for Dark and Anima Heroes. Sacred Seals are easier to find.
  • Version 3.4: Aether Resort, Pair Up, Allegiance Battles will be added in the future, Summoning Pool Changes, Raiding Parties expanded.

Of the things that haven't been mentioned, I'll add expanded Friend List, although even 100 is now starting to be a bit too small.

I’ll add Tempest Trials+ for making it less of a grind (special mention to the changes they made after the very first Tempest Trial too because that first one was rough).

Also giving us a free summon on every banner! It gives you a reason to pull on every banner and you never know what you might be lucky enough to get with it

Also also Sacred Seals in general

1 hour ago, Nowi's Husband said:

Grails are excellent, getting to merge the freebies given enough time and patience is wonderful.  And unlike hoarding orbs it's a guarantee, bad luck won't ruin it.

Right? AR might be a long term grind but it's a goal you can work towards. Although you need to need to choose your favorites wisely, it's actually a benefit to be a free unit now over a 5* exclusive because you'll be able to +10 them with enough hard work and patience. Nice to have a guarantee in this game when gaccha luck can be brutal.

1. Having a stamina cap of 99 rather than 50.
2. Equipping skills not costing stamina (back during the first couple of weeks after the game's launch, IS originally intended for the action of equipping skills to cost stamina - when we had the stamina cap of 50 - after the launch celebration had ended; thankfully, that did not come to fruition).
3. Skill Inheritance (and later being able to inherit 4 skills from a fodder unit)
4. Swap Spaces
5. Free first summons (and later, summoning tickets).
6. Changes to rarity summoning rate (back then, 3* units had a listed 58% pull chance while 4* units had a listed 36% pull chance; today, the probabilities have been reversed).
7. Combat Manuals
8. First merge erasing stat flaws (making stat differences less of a pain unless you're one of those players who want to boost certain units' stats via dragonflowers and don't want to spend so many due to differences in base copy's lv. 1 stats)
9. Continuous Autobattle
10. Grand/Bound/Legendary/Mythic Hero Battles not costing stamina.

Edited by Roflolxp54

99 Stamina, Skill Inheritance, GHB and LHB no longer costing Stamina, when they switched the rate of 3* and 4*, and Combat Manuals. Merges erasing banes is also something I seriously enjoy~

Edited by Landmaster

Combat Manuals for sure. It takes a lot of the finality out of deciding who stays and who goes. The GHB and TT copies were an especially large burden on the barracks since you didn't want to get rid of such rare units and there was about a hundred to hold onto at the point this feature was added.

Very distant Runner ups are the Swap Space command on turn 1, GHB Rotations, and Holy Grails.

Least favorite feature update is still Blessings and Seasons. Blessings permanently disappearing when you apply a new one is obnoxious considering they're a finite resource. It wasn't until Blessed Gardens in which they got some kind of PvE application (besides doubling EXP/SP gains). Also it's just dumb that units are "stronger this week". It was a needless micromanagement element. Most of my ire is aimed at the second set of blessings. I'm glad those are handed out at a greater frequency but those really are restricted to a single PvP mode. I thought for sure we'd get some parallel mode to Blessed Gardens but up to this point the only thing I've intentionally used them for is the Light Blessing and Anima Blessing quests as well as giving a few units a double SP buff which the first set of blessings accomplishes just fine.

Edited by Glennstavos

5 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Ah, I don't have the patience for that. The only HM grinding I do is for TT and only enough to get the second best ranking reward (top 1000 or whatever is brutal). I still come out at about even for stamina potions spent because natural stamina gives you plenty of runs plus there is a daily quest that awards a stamina potion. What with most challenges requiring no stamina, I usually don't need anything more than natural stamina.

I forgot to mention it, and don't think anyone else has either, but decreasing the cap on the stamina cost of maps down to 10 is a big part of why stamina is so plentiful nowadays.  I remember the Lunatic maps could cost around 20.  That coupled with the removal of stamina costs for GHBs makes stamina almost meaningless at this point.

8 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I forgot to mention it, and don't think anyone else has either, but decreasing the cap on the stamina cost of maps down to 10 is a big part of why stamina is so plentiful nowadays.  I remember the Lunatic maps could cost around 20.  That coupled with the removal of stamina costs for GHBs makes stamina almost meaningless at this point.

The majority of my stamina potions to go. . .Forging Bonds.  Really.

Swap Places before battle (why was this not at start), Changes to TTs that made them MUCH more accessible (bonus points on fisrt 2 plays, +stats on bonus allies) and Combat Manuals were to me. Also, LQ data, cause my phone's 8GB memory could barely fit the HQ version.

6 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The majority of my stamina potions to go. . .Forging Bonds.  Really.

I have 918 stamina potions.  When I do use them, it's either Tempest Trials or Forging Bonds.

For all of the hate that enemy phase music received, I'm a little surprised no one mentioned the addition of special tracks. Might just be the vocal minority speaking out I suppose. 

Other than combat manuals and asset/flaw display, I have to say I like the heart system as it serves as a nice visual reminder of the boons of my units. I update my list of 5* units every month so for the most part I've memorized their asset/flaw by the virtue of exposure but it's nice to have that quick hint just by looking at the color of the hearts. 

For QoL improvements, I wish they add a quick hand way to change skills/seals on a unit when viewing the unit and allowing a unit to be able to equip both an AR blessing and regular blessing so I'm not forced to choose to use a unit in AR or not. But I do see it being too good given blessings bonuses stack.

Most likely unrealistic but I want them to add the ability to allow us to remove skills that are not native to a unit's base kit. I just want to erase the dumb SI choices I've made scroll less when looking for a skill.     

Edited by Flying Shogi