Logbook and skill question

Tediz64

I lack a full understanding of how the logbook and skills are retained so hopefully someone can come along and maybe explain it that is backed with experience in it.

So I understand this much so far, if you learn a skill by leveling up in a class it is added to that character's bank of skills available to pick from (can equip up to 5) and this extends to classes obtained from A+ and S rank supports that lend a new class to whoever is in question. I get that.

Next, we have the logbook in which you have characters who you can add thru various means more specifically honing in on endgame people that you can add 5 with a clear file. So if my understanding is correct does that mean that on a separate save file you can recruit that person again as a card (enjhar?) and they still retain all the skills they learned in their bank? (If I got this right) so if you recruit them thru say the card shop, they only have access to the 5 they currently have equipped right?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes to that last one but here is where I don't know for sure, so if I had say for example a Silas who learned all cavalry skills, mercenary skills, and gave him thru A+/S  supports Knight and Fighter and then beat them game and added him as 1 of the 5. Then i proceed to start a new file I could teach my new Silas the Knight and Fighter skills, since the Silas in the logbook has all 4 classes and their associated skills respectively right?

Now based off how those questions above are answered here is where I want to know even more complex info that relies on people who have put it into practice. So say on a new file, I purchased the Fighter and Knight skills for Silas and also made sure he learned his Cavalry and Mercenary skills, then I proceed to give him 2 new classes by using A+/S rank supports and learned all of those skills tied in, when I get to the end of the game and pick him as 1 out of the 5 units to add to the logbook will he retain all 6 classes and their associated skills despite the fact that I purchased/taught him 2 classes (the fighter and Knight on this play thru) for a subsequent 3rd play thru? Or will the log book only keep his two base classes plus the 2 new ones that he actually learned thru leveling up? 

My intention or goal behind these questions is to understand if it is achieve able to teach a character every class of skills by spamming multiple play thrus and adjusting my Avatar's class to whatever my targeted character needs. I know the shared characters have it easy since you can have them marry conquest and birthright people but I want to put more hoshidan skills on nohrian characters and vice versa but also make it permanent in terms of their available skill bank. I know there is a few exceptions for classes like the beast ones, songstress, and villager but aside from those, I want to know if I can do it without mods/cheats. 

If anyone is confused reading this just post and I'll try to clarify. I know the info is all scattered. Also to people who answer, if you could give an example so I can mentally picture it that's be wonderful. Like use a character name as an example and the classes etc. If you don't want to use an example that's fine to. Hopefully as I read the response I can understand it if I simply read it several times including out loud :wacko::huh:

Let me tell you how I made a team of Oboro's through visuals down below, and explain a bit about how it all works because I get what you're generally going for, but it'd take too much for me to reply to every question you had:

Spoiler

Firstly, it's way too tedious to beat the game to get these units, so I'm gonna show you how to obtain these units the simpler way.  On a side note, your understanding of the Einherjar shop is inaccurate, I'll explain why later.

aVVncZC.png

So let's say I have the unit (Oboro), all the respective supports (this one's only married to Corrin with the Fighter talent), and all that...  The first step is to go to the StreetPass Team and place defenders (go to the Crystal Ball in your castle).  Nothing matters here except the units you have selected.

uoI8K8I.png

Note she can be added as just a level 10 unit, just so long as she obtained all her supports before she's added to the logbook.  She doesn't even need to reclass into fighter, though I'd recommend reclassing just so you can differentiate between units and so that you don't have to pay 2000 extra per unit in a new file.

This is the StreetPass Team selection.  The character you want should be among the first row on the team (if you have only the bronze Einherjar shop; could be among the first two rows if silver shop, and top three if gold shop).  Take note of who is in the first two rows.

RopVozM.png

In the Einherjar shop (this one's silver rank), we'll find the members of our StreetPass Team.  In this file I already recruited the logbook!Oboro, so it's grayed out.  Should be noted that the better stats and more skills they have, the more expensive they are, so that's a big reason why I strongly recommend only adding them at level 10 - you can train them after the fact, don't waste time in each individual file leveling them up because it's cheaper and faster to buy them all low and train them all as a team.

This is what you get wrong about this shop: you don't recruit units from the logbook here, you recruit a few generics and some members of your StreetPass Team.  The unit logbook is accessed either by pressing start while in your castle or by talking to your servant.

You get the Einherjar shop after you beat Chapter 11 in any path.  So you only have to get up to Chapter 12 before you can buy a unit from this shop.  When you buy from the Einherjar shop, that unit gets added to the unit logbook, just like the units you add at the end of the game.  It's much, MUCH faster this way.

zppUog2.png

No units can inherit classes from logbook units.  They only have access to whatever buddy and marriage classes they gained access to in their respective files.  So that Malig Knight!Oboro could only access Oboro's base classes (Spear Fighter and Apothecary) plus Wyvern Knight, that Paladin!Oboro can only access Oboro's base classes plus the Cavalier class and Archer class from A+ support with Mozu, and so on and so forth.  But, as you can see here, you can store multiple Oboros from different files into the logbook (the logbook will count them individually instead of them all as the same unit) and recruit them all into one file.  This actually is a file where I was training these logbook units.

So yeah, let's say you got a logbook Oboro of every class.  They all can be level 10, and none of them have to ever be reclassed to get access to the A+/S rank classes they gained.  So you get them all into the logbook, then you make a new file and recruit every single one of them, train them all up until they get all the skills they can obtain for their respective classes...

wdEPZBT.png

When they all are done, go find them in the unit logbook (again, found by talking to the assistant/servant, who will be either Felicia, Jakob, or possibly someone else of your choice) and select "Update", which should update the logbook with the unit all leveled up and with their skills.  Then after that, go to the unit and select "Learn"...

UMQTuJ0.png

Notice the scroll bar on the right...

fbO0TQ7.png

The logbook units should have all the skills they learned as logbook units.

Each and every single one should have a bunch of different skills.  Each and every one of them is from a different file (that always got deleted immediately after I added them to the logbook), where each time I got up to chapter 12 and grinded for supports for Oboro.  And each and every single one of them is in the logbook.

So overall, I'd say you had quite a few misconceptions about this system, but it overall is less tedious than you thought it was.  Still takes a metric f*** ton of time, but not as much as it could take.  Note that you only have 99 spaces in the logbook to recruit units, and each character would require roughly 20 copies to obtain every single skill.  So it's overall impossible to do this for every character unless you have, like, 24 copies of FE Fates; it's only possible for you to do what you want to an extent, unless that extent is limited to, like, three units in particular.

I hope this helped you.

I super appreciate the visuals. And in regards to learning how the logbook works, i see....i'm saddened to hear that info. I was hoping that skills learned manually from leveling up and learned from being purchased would be permanent and so if you beat the game and added them as 1 of the 5 you could basically access all those skills (not the classes. i don't care about them being in the class. i like to keep them in their canon class) and then further learn more skills so that you could eventually have a specific unit in the logbook with access to every single skills since they learned it manually without mods.

7 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

I super appreciate the visuals. And in regards to learning how the logbook works, i see....i'm saddened to hear that info. I was hoping that skills learned manually from leveling up and learned from being purchased would be permanent and so if you beat the game and added them as 1 of the 5 you could basically access all those skills (not the classes. i don't care about them being in the class. i like to keep them in their canon class) and then further learn more skills so that you could eventually have a specific unit in the logbook with access to every single skills since they learned it manually without mods.

I actually don't remember how it works when you beat the game and add them that way.  It might add them with all the skills they learned, including those they didn't have equipped, but it's been so long since I've actually beaten this game and I did a factory reset of my 3DS so I don't even have any of that data.

But from how else I understand the system, yeah, one specific logbook unit can't have every single skill.  You can have a bunch of other logbook units that each have different sets of skills so that you could teach the character they are represented by the skills, but that's as far as I think it can go.  Though again, should beat the game yourself to see how that works, because that's the only element I'm really shaky on.

When you beat the game and add a unit to the logbook they do retain every skill you taught them. So you could add every skill to Oboro, beat the game and she would have every skill retained in the logbook on a new playthrough. The classes wouldn't carryover.

4 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

@Ertrick36 That’s a lot of copies of your waifu. You okay?

lmao, I was just bored and also wanted to create a team of Oboro's for Conquest so that I could distract myself from that path's awful story (because it'd be quite ridiculous to have clones of Oboro all fighting for Nohr; ridiculous enough that the story just couldn't be taken seriously in any capacity).

It took maybe... eh, probably 40-or-so hours worth of play time to get them all logged.  Given that I play about 4-6 hours every day of the week, it was maybe a ten day endeavor.  It wasn't a significant waste of time, believe me; it isn't like trying to raise four three-star Oboro's in FEH up to five-star, level 40+10, or whatever the hell it is, without spending any money.  That would be a valid time to ask if I'm okay.

9 hours ago, Johnnie said:

When you beat the game and add a unit to the logbook they do retain every skill you taught them. So you could add every skill to Oboro, beat the game and she would have every skill retained in the logbook on a new playthrough. The classes wouldn't carryover.

I'm gonna have to try that, because I very much would like to have just one copy that has every skill in the game apart from the ones she obviously can't obtain.  And then I might do it for other characters like Smolzu, Memekumi, Forrest of the Forest, and Mitama the Haiku Queen.

Can you share any screenshots demonstrating this?  Even just ones of crappy quality like mine would do, though I understand if it's not possible for whatever reason.

IMG_20190418_191938712.jpg

Meet Jakob. He's in my logbook with every Cavalier, Troubadour, Archer and Pegasus skill. When recruited he keeps all of his skills and class options from his previous file.

If I were to take another Jakob to endgame with say Samurai skills, I could buy every one of these skills onto the new Jakob and add him to the logbook. Then he would have the skill sets of 5 classes but only his default class options and Samurai.

I could repeat this process indefinitely until I had a Jakob with every skill in the game. Given enough time and patience, I would only need 2 save files to accomplish this and I could work on 5 units at a time. 

Edited by Johnnie

On 4/17/2019 at 10:11 PM, Johnnie said:

So when you say every skill you "taught" them this applies to both learned from leveling up and learned from purchasing from a similar unit in your log book? This means from the drop down list, that character would have all the skills available even if they didn't have it equipped as one of the five at the time you beat the game? By the way to clarify I'm not just talking about the drop down list of skills you can select when you are under the skill equip section of the menu where you see the options to save, select units (for battle), view map, and etc. I'm also asking from the drop down list of skills if you are looking at them from the menu where you can edit castle settings and recruit units from the logbook itself. I don't have this info because I've never seen a unit there where you can buy skills from with more than just the 5 they have equipped. So I wanted to ask if you could buy all the skills they ever "learned" (both manually from leveling and taught by being purchased)

5 hours ago, Johnnie said:

IMG_20190418_191938712.jpg

I could repeat this process indefinitely until I had a Jakob with every skill in the game. Given enough time and patience, I would only need 2 save files to accomplish this and I could work on 5 units at a time. 

I have another question in terms of how to set up a file to expedite this process but I'll wait till you answer the previous questions since that info stacks with my next ones if you answer it the way I believe the system is set up to work. Or at least I hope they way it works

On mobile so bear with me.

Yes, when you add a unit to your logbook after beating the game that logbook character will retain every skill you taught. Except maybe DLC skills; I'm not sure. Using my Jakob above, I can start a new game and buy every Cavalier, Troubadour, Pegasus and Archer skills (including the ones you don't see) on to my new file. It's only for characters you capture from other castles that you can only access the skills that are equipped.

To efficiently get every Birthright skill onto a character is why you need 2 files. I'll keep using Jakob. Take him to right before endgame with only learning his base class sets and Archer from Takumi, then make a second copy of this save. On one copy marry him to someone, grind him up through the class sets and beat the game and add him to your logbook. Don't save! On the second save you can then buy those skills onto the other Jakob and save the game. Go back to the first save and marry Jakob to someone else. Keep repeating this process until you have all the skills on one character, beat the game and add them to the logbook. You can then delete all previous copies of that character.

The only skills you couldn't do this with are the illegal skills: Nohr Prince, Dancer, Villager and Kitsune/Wolf. And possibly DLC skills since I never tested that.

Edited by Johnnie

Wait a second. So in your scenario, once I've added a few copies of him to the logbook with different skills learned from different classes, I go to the 2nd save slot and purchase them onto that Jakob then save followed by deleting the Jakobs in the logbook since I already purchased his skills and I want to save room in my logbook (since I intend to do this with all characters one day). Once I have every skill, beat the game with that 2nd save slot and add that Jakob to the to the logbook and it will be one with every skill possible and if I were to do a fresh new play thru, I could theoretically have a Jakob with every skill right from chapter 6 (or 15 if I do a male play thru and he comes later) provided I grind the gold DLC? And eventually, every character right after the chapter i recruit them? 

Btw I should do 5 characters at a time to speed things up? All while playing on casual and making sure I don't miss getting any character and doing this once I get to chapter 27 right before the final fight? (If I was on Revelations, I could do this with all characters in just "one" play thru)

Pretty much, yes.

Though thinking about it more you would have to do 2 playthroughs as Apothecary Corrin (male and female); 1 as a male Oni; 1 as a male Spear Fighter due to the rarity of those classes. You'd also have to do a separate file for each class if you want to include the Corrin -sexuals,  which means repeating the process on both Conquest and Revelations for the unique characters.

The child units would be harder if you want to include them since they have more limited supports.

Edited by Johnnie

Oh yeah I have a spreadsheet of which characters don't have access to which classes unless they marry the Avatar with it being chosen as the secondary class. I looked at who each person could marry and what classes would be passed so yeah.

I saw Apothecary was the hardest but I'm going to skip that one since I can still access Mechanist from Ninja and I don't want the Merchant gold related skills or Apothecary item consuming skills. I saw Outlaw was the 2nd least accessible with over 20 people requiring it. I mapped out how many play thru(s) I'd have to do all while waiting for your responses to confirm if the logbook works the way i think it does. 

I'm skipping the following characters since they can only support the Avatar and nobody else (I see Nintendo gave them 3 default classes but that isn't nearly enough to make them redeemable)

Izana, Gunter, Scarlet, Reina, Yukimura, Shura, and Fuga. 

I know Flora is the same but I like maids so I'll try to give her come classes when I'm doing all those male play thru. 

Thanks for your info. 

Don't under-estimate those Apothecary skills. 150 in gold gives +3 to a stat and a free extra turn which is very handy for certain situations. Not that it's worth grinding every character through Apothecary, but it is worth it to grab for the characters who can get it naturally whether through marriage or inheritance.

Outlaw is similarly useless aside from the +1 move.

Good luck.

But what about Pass? That skill on units with high move like mounted ones let's them navigate thru enemies and hit those pesky ones hiding behind tanks. It saves on turns when you can kill the people with ranged combat and let the direct ones come at your during enemy phase. Especially on maps where the objective is to route enemies. Pass is pretty valueable when you don't have to go around 2 or more enemies standing before you.

How does 150 in gold give people an extra turn and stats? Are you referring to the base skills that let you consume an item and still attack? And the other one that boosts the effects by 150%? Cause the advance skills from Merchant need to be equipped together to be useful. Pick up gold bars then do 10 extra damage (plus the -10 received). But that also requires space in your inventory. Where as if you get the skill from Master of Arms "Life and Death" you can do the same +10 damage (but then the downside is you also get +10 received) all for one skill equipped and saves you space so you can have various weapons to tackle certain enemies. 

I really appreciate the info again. Once more, thank you. 

I forgot about the usefulness of Pass.

I'm talking about the two Apothecary skills. The first one means a +2 tonic turns into a +3. The second means you can still attack or trade afterwards. Like I said, situationally useful but they're at least worth grabbing for the 7 or so characters who can get it.