Favorite Era?

Sub Zero

Whats your favorite FE era? NES/SNES, DS, 3DS etc. and say why.

My personal favorite is the DS era.

Games were great and the characters were memorable.

Tellius. Radiant Dawn in particular feels like a Kaga game, it's so technical. I think it's also got some of the best animations in the series since it looks like watching a fighting game. It's brought down a bit by Path of Radiance's slow animations but I love the idea of transfer data. And shoving!

Gonna have to go with the 3DS era. It had Awakening, which brought me into the series, Fates has some of my favourite characters in the series, and SoV is my favourite FE game.

Runner up is the DS era.

All of them- er, actually, all of them except the NES era.

In my mind, no era is better than any other except in the case of the NES era, because every FE game from 3 and beyond is better than those two atrocities of experimental f***ery.

Started with Blazing Sword, finally got into by Awakening.

I guess I prefer the 3DS era, but I only like 2 Fire Emblem out of the 5 Fire Emblem games I've played.  I don't like what that implies.

Either the GCN/WII era or the 3ds era.

GBA never really did it for me, and the SNES era, while fun and memorable, just didn’t hold my attention like my above choices did.

The DS era is whatever. I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it either.

GBA era is my favorite for sure.

I just love most of the characters and gameplay here. Even their stories, which admittedly aren’t as epic as say Tellius’s or Genealogy’s, are still quite enjoyable to me.

GC/Wii era would probably be my second favorite if I played RD but since I’ve only experienced PoR I’ll have to say 3DS era is my second favorite. Even Fates who I consider the weakest of any FE I’ve played has Conquest which I really enjoyed for multiple reasons.

GBA.

The stories are some of the best the series has ever told, and the characters are the best-written in the entire series. The protagonists are all great, especially Lyn, and the gameplay is smooth. The battle animations are fluid and look fantastic, and the music is memorable.

I guess the DS and 3DS era for me. 3DS because I felt they were simple and beginner friendly enough for me to get into and had some memorable characters.

However, I liked the story of the DS game (Archanea) more since it felt like a classic medieval fantasy story whose plot wasn't too contrived or overcomplicated. I also don't think the gameplay is as bad as people make it out to be either. Sure, it's missing several features people like in later installments but I still had fun with Shadow Dragon and hope to try out New Mystery someday.

As much as I love SoV, I have to echo (hah!) the people who picked the GameCube/Wii games (a.k.a. the Tellius games). They're both fantastic games, whereas all the other "eras" have at least one I didn't enjoy as much (3DS has Fates, GBA has Sacred Stones and Sword of Seals), and while I like Shadow Dragon and New Mystery, the Tellius games are just flat out better than those two in my opinion. I've never played anything before FE6, so I can't judge those games, but from what I've heard, they're pretty... mixed in their reception, so take from that what you will.

Tellius. Overall, it's the most competent FE era in my opinion. Path of Radiance's better for story, Radiant Dawn's better for gameplay. 

It's a tie between The GBA and DS era. The DS era added many gampeplay features that have become stable features and greatly refined the gameplay which would later result in huge succes during the 3ds era. The only thing that the ds era lacks is solid writing which the GBA games have (some more then others). What the DS games did for Gameplay, the GBA era did for writing. This era introduced supports which, while being a flawed mechanic, greatly increased what the writers could do for characterization. The GBA era also happens to have some of the best supports imo. The gameplay, while not as great as the ds games, is also quite good.

The other eras have some problems that bother me a lot.

The Famicom era is a mixed bag.  Fe4 & Fe5 are some of my favourites games in the series but also aren't the kind of games I would play often, Fe3 is ok but Fe1 & fe2 have aged about as well as the special effects in Tron (1982).

Tellius is an era of extremes. Fe9 has great writing (until the last chapters which are super boring) and  really bad gameplay. Fe10 sometimes has good gameplay and some of the worst writing in the series if you ask me.

The 3ds era is decent but unfortunately has my least favourite game in the series (besides fe1 & 2) which really lowers my overall opinion. fe13 & 15 also aren't as good as the games in the GBA and DS era (aside from fe8 which is the main reason I don't consider the GBA era the best).

DS > 3DS > GBA > Telius > Kaga

I guess there are outliers... I hate Echoes, the rest of 3DS is potentially good to great. I actually really enjoy Parts of Radiant Dawn way over GBA... it's kind of a game that you have to pick your own endpoint before the boringly designed chapters show up to replay though. Path of Radiance doesn't have the same saving grace since it is Sacred Stones 2.0.  It's a higher high, lower lower kind of thing. For Kaga…  FE5 is my favorite game after 11-14. FE1 is short enough to be used as a time waster. But FE2-FE4 just bother me so much that I can't speak well of the era overall. 

SD and NM have what I care about, UI speed, AI speed, higher difficulties that are fun to puzzle out, a fun version of re-classing, and "enough" of a story to please. 

Didn't we have a similar thread not too long ago? Or maybe I'm remembering wrong...

Anyway, it's a tie between Tellius and 3DS for me - GBA has only one good game (that being Blazing Blade - Binding Blade and Sacred Stones are weak, weak, WEAK), and the one easily accessible game in the DS era is one of the absolute weakest.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Tellius first, I absolutely love PoR's story, and RD has amazing graphics and gameplay imo.

GBA second, probably just because they were my introduction into this amazing series. Still love them ( funny enough, opposed to most other people I liked FE7 the least of the three)

3DS 3rd because it has SoV, not a big fan of the awakening and fates style but they're still good games

DS last because I don't like the blandness of the characters, New mystery was a lot better than SD, but doesn't lift the era up above SoV

(everything before FE6 I didn't finish)

I may be in the minority but I have always loved the Kaga games, all my favorite Fire Emblem games are from this era, thus I personally favor the Kaga era over the rest. If I have to split the Kaga era into two parts then I have to say that I like the SNES era the most. I have always been found of Geneology of the holy war, the story and the cast are lovely, especially the first generation. 

After the SNES era I would go and say the GBA is another great era for the same reasons. I love how colorful they are and the characters are way more polished than in the NES & SNES era. My favorite lord is from the GBA era and the GBA games are the first pre-Awakening games I have played so I have very good memories of them. I do think that the NES characters aren't as fleshed out as other characters which is still true in the case of the Archanea cast. 

Honestly SNES because in FE4 and especially 5 the standards for Fire Emblem of today were set there. 

New mission types like defense, capturing, fatigue, route splitting or a skill system were born in this era. 

Also the soundtrack was the best and FE5 feels like the only part of this series with an absolute senseful story to me. 

Edited by Rosalina