Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral

TheGoodHoms

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I just think that the US doesn't care about Puerto Ricans is something that would be as equally true with or without the fire. It hasn't shed any new light on the situation. But maybe that's because I'm rather cynical from the start.

No.  It has.

If the US pretended that France didn't exist, I think they'd still be able to repair Notre Dame.  Puerto Rico, on the other hand, absolutely needs outside aid for its situation - the raw materials needed to repair the likes of a messed-up power grid doesn't grow on trees.  I live on an island, and if we lose our imports, I'd expect to see the price of things like food go through the roof (never mind my own situation).  I don't even want to imagine how bad things would be if we didn't have power and clean water on top of it.

Guess which situation the president thought was more fitting for federal aid?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

No.  It has.

If the US pretended that France didn't exist, I think they'd still be able to repair Notre Dame.  Puerto Rico, on the other hand, absolutely needs outside aid for its situation - the raw materials needed to repair the likes of a messed-up power grid doesn't grow on trees.  I live on an island, and if we lose our imports, I'd expect to see the price of things like food go through the roof (never mind my own situation).  I don't even want to imagine how bad things would be if we didn't have power and clean water on top of it.

Guess which situation the president thought was more fitting for federal aid?

That's the case again of it not being a zero sum situation. It's not like one of the two things need to be chosen over the other. Both are possible (and yeah, not doing both is terrible). It's not a case of "Whoops. We'd love to help Puerto Rico but we've spent all our money on France. Better luck next disaster." There's still plenty of government money there to be distributed (well presumably, maybe the US government is secretly bankrupt but I doubt it).

Edited by Jotari

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That's the case again of it not being a zero sum situation. It's not like one of the two things need to be chosen over the other. Both are possible (and yeah, not doing both is terrible). It's not a case of "Whoops. We'd love to help Puerto Rico but we've spent all our money on France. Better luck next disaster." There's still plenty of government money there to be distributed (well presumably, maybe the US government is secretly bankrupt but I doubt it).

It's also motivation. . .but I've already done my best to explain it, so continuing on is pointless.

If anything, understand that there's going to be people upset by Trump's actions, and IMO they have every right to be.

30 minutes ago, eclipse said:

It's also motivation. . .but I've already done my best to explain it, so continuing on is pointless.

If anything, understand that there's going to be people upset by Trump's actions, and IMO they have every right to be.

Oh I get what you're saying. I just don't agree.