First Playstation 5 details have been officially revealed

Armagon

If you're on Twitter, you've likely already heard the news but Sony has revealed the PS5......sorta. We don't actually know what the system looks like or what games will be on it but we have some details.

• SSD
  • Faster load times
  • Ray tracing
  • Won't release in 2019
  • 3D Audio
  • 8K Support
  • Backwards compatible with PS4
  • Still disc-based

If you're looking for sources, here's one. Alternatively, the whole thing is trending on Twitter where you can find more sources.

No way they'd talk about that many things and not mention PSVR. 

*Checks source*

Okay, they're just leaving that for later. We'll probably see this thing at PSX, considering Sony's absence from this year's E3. Backwards compatible? Considering how little new systems need updates in the future maybe we can expect this to be standard moving forward. Nintendo, you're the only holdout, now. Keep up.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

No way they'd talk about that many things and not mention PSVR. 

*Checks source*

Okay, they're just leaving that for later. We'll probably see this thing at PSX, considering Sony's absence from this year's E3. Backwards compatible? Considering how little new systems need updates in the future maybe we can expect this to be standard moving forward. Nintendo, you're the only holdout, now. Keep up.

"Is still using Gamecube controllers to play Smash"

It is quite a bit easier for Sony and Microsoft to include retro-compatibility since all of their systems have followed a linear progression, though that's only on a surface level obviously, programming is a different problem. Still, many Wii games have to be rethought to function properly on the Switch, you can't just give the option to play them and leave it at that. The same goes for the most touchscreen intensive Wii U games.

Not that I disagree with you but it's just not the same in my eye.

Edited by Cysx

39 minutes ago, Cysx said:

"Is still using Gamecube controllers to play Smash"

It is quite a bit easier for Sony and Microsoft to include retro-compatibility since all of their systems have followed a linear progression, though that's only on a surface level obviously, programming is a different problem. Still, many Wii games have to be rethought to function properly on the Switch, you can't just give the option to play them and leave it at that. The same goes for the most touchscreen intensive Wii U games.

Not that I disagree with you but it's just not the same in my eye.

It's always been their own damned fault for doing needless gimmicks and new proprietary hardware. Going with cartridges for the N64 ruined their spot at the top of the industry. Even their first disc based system refused normal sized discs because they couldn't help but make some arbitrary point. Nintendo's inability to make a backwards compatible system has been a marked problem since the Super Nintendo. In fact it was one of the premier selling points of the Sega Genesis. Nintendo has been fighting against this feature for nearly thirty years and only implemented it in some of its handhelds and the Wii. When they fail to deliver, I'm going to call them out.

Speaking of, I always thought Sony could make some serious money in producing a separate, monster model of Playstation console that runs everything. If Xbox can do it in free updates, why not Playstation?

23 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

It's always been their own damned fault for doing needless gimmicks and new proprietary hardware. Going with cartridges for the N64 ruined their spot at the top of the industry. Even their first disc based system refused normal sized discs because they couldn't help but make some arbitrary point. Nintendo's inability to make a backwards compatible system has been a marked problem since the Super Nintendo. In fact it was one of the premier selling points of the Sega Genesis. Nintendo has been fighting against this feature for nearly thirty years and only implemented it in some of its handhelds and the Wii. When they fail to deliver, I'm going to call them out.

Speaking of, I always thought Sony could make some serious money in producing a separate, monster model of Playstation console that runs everything. If Xbox can do it in free updates, why not Playstation?

I mean, you're handwaving it, but the fact that the Wii was fully retro-compatible, which implied putting four gamecube controller slots in it and supporting a different disc format, is something unheard of on modern consoles, similarly to the DS having an additional slot just for GBA cartridges; then there's the 3DS/GBA being able to run DS/GB games; that's a lot of systems. And hey, they're officially two for three on their gimmicky systems being massive successes, more if we include their portables, I'd say it's working out for them fairly well.

They've been considerably less generous in recent memory for sure, that I won't deny. But you're almost rewriting history here.

Also the N64 failure has been attributed to countless things,  the fact of the matter is, they arrived too late and Sony had already won the industry over. Even if it had been more competitive, the N64 would likely have failed to put them back on top regardless.

Edited by Cysx

1 hour ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

What does 8k mean?

Next step after 4K. Imagine 4K but better. I'm sure there's more to it than that but that's the gist.

1 hour ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Also, that PS4 compatibility means it’s backwards compatible with other PS systems, right?

It's backwards compatiable with PS4 games only.

37 minutes ago, Cysx said:

They've been considerably less generous in recent memory for sure, that I won't deny. But you're almost rewriting history here.

I care about the now and the later more than the history when we're sitting here talking about new consoles. They used to go the extra mile in making backwards compatible systems, and now they don't. I'm calling them out on it because the Switch's unrelated success will probably convince them it's unnecessary in the future. If you think I'm being unfair fine, but don't call me wrong. Game companies shouldn't be "earning a pass" for bad products just because they made good ones in the past. They're businesses, not people.

Also the N64 failure has been attributed to countless things,  the fact of the matter is, they arrived too late and Sony had already won the industry over. Even if it had been more competitive, the N64 would likely have failed to put them back on top regardless.

Oh please, the big N's arrogance is to blame for that generation. Don't accuse me of rewriting history. If they learned to play nice with other companies we could have lived in a world with the Nintendo Playstation which would have rocked. The only victory that was assured for Sony in 1995-1996 was their win over the Sega Saturn which was tragically unveiled (earlier than the PS1 I might add) at too high of a price point to compete and long before developers would be ready with their planned launch titles.

40 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I care about the now and the later more than the history when we're sitting here talking about new consoles. They used to go the extra mile in making backwards compatible systems, and now they don't. I'm calling them out on it because the Switch's unrelated success will probably convince them it's unnecessary in the future. If you think I'm being unfair fine, but don't call me wrong. Game companies shouldn't be "earning a pass" for bad products just because they made good ones in the past. They're businesses, not people.

Why bring up the history at all, then? You said they had a retro compatibility problem since the Snes and fought against the feature and to my knowledge that was inaccurate, I was merely replying to that.

I'm not giving anyone a pass, I look at the situation and see that Wii U, 3DS and Wii retro compatibility on Switch were close to being an impossibility, and considering it'd be weird to consider the Switch a bad idea on a conceptual level, especially compared to an hypothetical Wii U 2, there is a sense of fatality here(and yes, that situation's on Nintendo). If their next system can reasonably support it but doesn't, my stance won't be the same.

40 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Oh please, the big N's arrogance is to blame for that generation. Don't accuse me of rewriting history. If they learned to play nice with other companies we could have lived in a world with the Nintendo Playstation which would have rocked. The only victory that was assured for Sony in 1995-1996 was their win over the Sega Saturn which was tragically unveiled (earlier than the PS1 I might add) at too high of a price point to compete and long before developers would be ready with their planned launch titles.

Again, I've accused you of almost rewriting history when it came to retro-compatibility for Nintendo systems, and only that. I mean it. My stance on the N64 debacle is that I don't have the tools to know with reasonable certainty what was the primary problem(beyond them being way too late, because that's pretty easy to figure out), and I don't see the point in assuming. But, it could very well be a matter of arrogance indeed.

Let's not get into Sega and the Saturn. Really, let's not, we'd be here for days.

Edited by Cysx

42 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Why bring up the history at all, then? You said they had a retro compatibility problem since the Snes and fought against the feature and to my knowledge that was inaccurate, I was merely replying to that.

We're talking about backwards compatibility. By definition there's an element of history. You responded to my original post saying there's a greater set of issues on Nintendo's end with all their console designs, and to that I said "yeah (I agree) it's an issue they really should have been considering for the future when they make all these weird systems with unique gimmicks and hardware". Of course I'd cite some examples. 

Besides the Switch just bugs me. The Wii U and 3DS were both dual screen systems, if the Switch didn't suddenly revert from that design we'd be asking for backwards compatibility all the time over these full-priced "Deluxe" remasters. But instead people give the Switch a pass because it was born with some "defect" of being a single screen system. The design may have deliberately intended to shut the door on backwards compatibility requests from consumers.

Let's not get into Sega and the Saturn. Really, let's not, we'd be here for days.

*Leans into mic* Two Ninety Nine

5 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

We're talking about backwards compatibility. By definition there's an element of history. You responded to my original post saying there's a greater set of issues on Nintendo's end with all their console designs, and to that I said "yeah (I agree) it's an issue they really should have been considering for the future when they make all these weird systems with unique gimmicks and hardware". Of course I'd cite some examples. 

Besides the Switch just bugs me. The Wii U and 3DS were both dual screen systems, if the Switch didn't suddenly revert from that design we'd be asking for backwards compatibility all the time over these full-priced "Deluxe" remasters. But instead people give the Switch a pass because it was born with some "defect" of being a single screen system. The design may have deliberately intended to shut the door on backwards compatibility requests from consumers.

Fair enough.

I hear you, but the fact of the matter is, the Switch is a winning design, that doesn't really lend itself to having two screens. Are they extremely happy that they can overprice Wii U ports as a result, I'd bet money on it, but it's hard for me to imagine that avoiding retro-compatibility was one of the main factors that made the Switch what it ended up being.

20 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

*Leans into mic* Two Ninety Nine

Dude.