Hey, i'm having a lot of trouble with chapter 14 on the ephraim route. I have only played Eirika's route before, so i went into chapter 14 (Father and son) blind. I saved on the battle preperations screen, and i haven't bought any restore staves. I'm sure you can see the problem there. With 2 sleep and 2 berserk staves and i think theres also a silence staff somewhere, i have no idea how i'm supposed to do this, at least when recruiting Rennac. Any tips?

Your options:

1. Attempt to bait the staves with the biggest Res tank at your disposal.  Promote someone if necessary.
2. Throw the AI with Pure Waters, if you have them.
3. Prepare to shell out money for Rennac.  If you've trained up L'Arachel, you have a chance at recruiting him for free.
4. If you're on emulator, save state/RNG abuse.  This is tedious, but can be quite effective.

I have tried this, but the problem is that by the time the staves are broken, Rennac is long gone. I have only used one pure water though, i'll have to check how many i have. thx!

Rennac I recall starts to the right and flees to the left. I've never done this before, but you could try abandoning the right, just have everyone who starts over there move to the left. Doubling your manpower on one side might make the status staffs a little more bearable, since losing one unit to status in a group of 12 is not as bad as losing one in a group of 6. 

You'd still have to ward off the reinforcements from the right as you move left, but that won't require as much resources to deal with as it would to do that and assault the right side. You have no reason other than the map splitting your troops in two to have to go in both directions here- something I learned from a certain Conquest chapter.

And in case you aren't already skipping it, the central treasure room is not at risk of thieves or anything, and it poses no threat until you enter it. So just ignore it until you're done with the more crucial parts of the battle.

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

If you're on emulator, save state/RNG abuse.  This is tedious, but can be quite effective.

To be precise, if the person is not aware already, you can harmlessly burn individual RNs using any odd-numbered Move unit. With save states, you can just reload and burn one more RN than you did last time until success. So burn one, if that fails, reload and burn two, if that fails, do three, and so on.

To waste an RN, pick a character with 7 movement (you can do it with any odd number of movement, but I want to keep things simple). Make sure there’s plenty of space and the character is not obstructed by too much terrain. Click on the character and move the cursor to get the movement arrow shown below:

ssrn

Now move the cursor one tile to the right and see what happens. You will either get a smaller L shape arrow or a 180 degrees rotated L shape. Which arrow you get depends on the next RN that the game has stored. Doing this manouevere uses up that RN, which is often referred to as wasting RNs.

[For a 5 move unit, a person could I think just do: two right, one down, one left; for the same RN burning.]

So, RNG abuse.  You'll be doing it specifically to make the staves miss (they take a RN to determine hit).  Other ways to lower their hit are to be further away from the caster, and to up your Res.

I also forgot about rescue-dropping the recruiter, if you have a mounted unit with good Res.  But this is risky because of all the other enemies.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

So, RNG abuse.  You'll be doing it specifically to make the staves miss (they take a RN to determine hit).  Other ways to lower their hit are to be further away from the caster, and to up your Res.

Yeah, I was just giving an explanation of how to do it for the OP.

And to provide the exact formulae for Staff accuracy and avoid while I'm at it.:

Staff Accuracy = 30 + (Magic x 5) + Skill

Staff Avoid = (Resistance x 5) + (Distance from enemy x 2)

So using a Pure Water gives +35 Avoid at maximum.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So using a Pure Water gives +35 Avoid at maximum.

Pure water abuse is twofold.  First, it lowers staff hit rate by the amount you said.  Second, if a better target is in range, the AI will target that unit.  I think sleeping units can be rescued, so deflecting that status effect can work. Berserk units are on their own.

I've already tried abandoning the right, but losing a unit isn't really that much of a problem, getting berserked is. They mostly just kill my other units or suicide on the enemies. Guess i'll have to use everyone with passable res and just rng abuse then, although i really dont like doing this, but this chapter is extremely difficult without restore.