Favorite Rendition of the Fire Emblem Theme?

Favorite Fire Emblem Theme Version?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Fire Emblem Theme Version?

• Dark Dragon and the Blade of Light's
    • Gaiden's and SoV's brief ending inclusions
    • Mystery of the Emblem's
    • Genealogy of the Holy War's
    • Thracia 776's
    • Binding Blade's
    • Blazing Blade's
    • Sacred Stone's
    • Path of Radiance's
    • Radiant Dawn's
    • Shadow Dragon's and Heroes of Light and Shadow's
    • Awakening's
    • Fates's
    • Smash Bros. Melee Together We Ride + FE Theme Fusion
    • Smash Bros. Brawl's Opera or FE6's Commercial's Opera
    • The Opera of Light: Fire Emblem (Tokyo Mirage Sessions)
    • Codename S.T.E.A.M.'s Rockin' Emblem
    • Fire Emblem Warrior's
    • Fire Emblem Heroes's
    • Another Version

Since yesterday, April 20th, was the 29th Anniversary of the Fire Emblem Franchise, I felt it appropriate to ask this question.

The Fire Emblem Theme has appeared in some capacity in each game in the franchise (although some less than others- see Gaiden/SoV), and each time it has been spun differently. So, which version of the franchise's overriding theme is your favorite?

Note that for each game in the poll, I'm counting any and all renditions that appear in it. 

Having sampled most of the renditions, I'm most fond of Genealogy of the Holy War's, it has a perfect sense of grandiosity and elegance to it. Mystery of the Emblem's is similarly elegant, but crisper and not quite as orchestral.

I would further say that the original NES composition is surprisingly good. Hamstrung by a lack of real instrumentation and other forms of embellishment, it does show how the essential structure of the piece is very solid.

Tokyo Mirage Session's is very silly in context, but that is precisely why I love it.:P:

Thracia, SD and NM, and RD all occupy a middle group for me. Good, but not so much great. I guess I'd toss Awakening in here too.

The GBA trio are handicapped by the poor quality of the GBA's audio. They can't be that good because of it, even if they try.

I'd say Path of Radiance's, although I love Tellius, has a weaker take too. Maybe it's because I heard it too much as a kid.

I'd also consider Brawl's opera rendition outright bad. It tries to be great, glorious, grand, and classical, but ends up being too rich for its own good, it gives my ears indigestion. Genealogy aimed for the same, but graciously averts it and rises high.

Codename S.T.E.A.M.'s is just too fast for its own good. Use it as an alarm, use to defibrillate someone, but don't use it as music.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I like the rendition in Binding Blade and Blazing Blade the best, and I really like the renditions in Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776. Mystery of the Emblem's, Sacred Stone's, and the DS duos' are pretty good, but not at the top. I'm not too fond of Path or Radiance's or Radiant Dawn's, but they aren't terrible. Tokyo Mirage Sessions' rendition is AWFUL, though, it's one of the worst abominations of the theme I've ever heard.

Path of Radiance has the best one imo. It's just so upbeat and adventurous, and also kinda celebratory, though that's probably because it only shows up when you've BEATEN the game. :P Still, it's so beautiful!

I really like FE8. It was my first FE, but I think it's music has a hold over me that the rest of it doesn't; It gives you some "extra' to the theme without beating you over the head with practically more "extra" than the core theme itself.

FE5 is great because it's mostly the theme in standard but I like how it handles the final section compared to others

Everything else is fine, mostly judge whether they feel to me like their own thing or 'short" versions of 8 (not to be unfair to the other GBA games, but that is the order I played them)

The only ones I don't like are FE9, 10 , and Brawl... they're over-orchestrated and clearly use more instruments than they needed to.

My personal preference goes

8>5>11/ 12 (it's reused)>3 >4>7>6>1> 9>10

Fates is at a disgustingly massive disadvantage because its version of the FE theme only plays at the end of Revelation, so the people who actually have heard it or even remember it are few in number.  And you can't count me among that number, as it's been a long time since I've seen that ending and I've only seen it once.

Anyway...

Overall, I think I like Thracia's the most.  It manages to sound both gentle and adventurous, and it uses the SNES soundfont that I love so much quite well.  A lot of the other ones are either really bombastic or just don't leave as much an impression on me, but Thracia's is straightforward and nice to listen to.  I'd say second to Thracia's are both the original NES rendition of the theme and the DS games' rendition of it.

The FE theme playing in the background of the Three Houses E3 announcement trailer. The dark organs coupled with the ominous chanting make it such a unique take on the theme, and then that fucking bass drop right at the title reveal that flows so perfectly into the Three Houses theme. Simply breathtaking.

It may be the shortest iteration of the FE theme, but it was perfection.

Edited by Etheus