Famitsu Articles Coming Out

Cool, new info. I knew that sword would end up being Byleth's. 

Also, I don't get the hate for Female Byleth's design. But whatever.

6 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

It looks like we'll be getting a proper article on Thursday, and will be receiving weekly updates about the game from that point.

Weekly updates on Three Houses? You have my attention.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The updates might not be weekly. We'll certainly be getting lots more updates from Famitsu,  but I don't think the article specifically said new info would be coming every week.  I think there was a bit of confusion as the magazine is called Weekly Famitsu.

Edited by Calico

9 minutes ago, Calico said:

The updates in all likelihood won't be weekly. We'll certainly be getting lots more updates from Famitsu,  but I don't think the article specifically said new info would be coming every week.  I think there was a bit of confusion as the magazine is called Weekly Famitsu.

I can live with biweekly updates. 

12 minutes ago, Calico said:

The updates might not be weekly. We'll certainly be getting lots more updates from Famitsu,  but I don't think the article specifically said new info would be coming every week.  I think there was a bit of confusion as the magazine is called Weekly Famitsu.

Yeah even with the game coming real soon I'm definitely expecting frequent updates here on out but likely every other week which imo is just enough space till release.

18 minutes ago, Calico said:

Oh. Well, I can live with getting new info whenever, because IIRC Three Houses release date isn't far off.

Finally we will start getting news.  I am probably one of the few people who like F!Byleth's design, but me being goth probably plays in to that.  I just want more info on how each of the three houses effect the story so I can plan my playthroughs and know who I will pick first.

Not 100% confident in my translations, but here's how I interpreted what I could read:

1. Male Byleth is called べレト (Bereto) while female Byleth is called ベレス (Beresu).
  2. Sothis: It's no good, I don't know. I can't remember anything but my name. [It's unclear if she speaks of herself, Byleth, or someone else, but I believe chances are good that she's talking about herself]
  3. As an instructor you guide the path leading to destiny [liberties taken here]
  4. The young leaders who will carry of the future of the continent on their shoulders [more literally: the next versions' young bellwethers who will bear the burdens of the future of the continent on their shoulders]
  5. I can't fully read the bigger text introducing Sothis. I might give it a go soon but some of the kanji are a bit blurry.

1 minute ago, Roland said:

I'm interested to see how Byleth's sword works in action, mainly because it's a whip-sword.

I hope it's not the only 1-2-Range physical Sword in the game.  That would be very stupid and regressive.

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

*puts hand in front of eyes

Sothis do you maybe want to put on some underwear? No DONT un-cross your legs.

Huh, that's odd. Could've sworn I heard police sirens somewhere in the distance...

16 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I hope it's not the only 1-2-Range physical Sword in the game.  That would be very stupid and regressive.

Make it a 1-3 range sword. Don't believe we've had one of those before and having that be the range of a whip sword would be very fitting.

I know I'll sound like a broken record saying this but I'm with @EricaofRenais on this one. I really don't see the problem with F!Byleth's design, it fits the setting and it looks aesthetically pleasing. But on the other hand, the news we received thus far looks good, this is going well so far. Hopefully TH will end up being a good game.

Edited by ~ Yuri ~

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

certainly interesting. I wonder if we're gonna be getting an official trailer in the near future. Only time will tell I suppose

There's the Fire Emblem expo on the fourth of May in Japan. I definitely thought we'd have to wait until then to get any news, but it seems as though we'll be getting weekly news from Famitsu now until the game is released.

19 minutes ago, ~ Yuri ~ said:

I know I'll sound like a broken record saying this but I'm with @EricaofRenais on this one. I really don't see the problem with F!Byleth's design, it fits the setting and it looks aesthetically pleasing.

It doesn't fit the setting or Byleth's characterization, though. Byleth begins as a mercenary and becomes a professor, and lacy stockings aren't remotely fitting attire for either role. It's a female avatar designed to cater to and titillate the male audience, rather than accommodate female players. 

In the series' past iterations of avatars, generally they've had parity in outfit design. If F!Byleth had M!Byleth's outfit, she'd both look better and be more believable as a teacher — rather than a teenage boy's fantasy of what their teacher should wear. 

Edited by Disclaimer

19 minutes ago, Disclaimer said:

It doesn't fit the setting or Byleth's characterization, though. Byleth begins as a mercenary and becomes a professor, and lacy stockings aren't remotely fitting attire for either role. It's a female avatar designed to cater to and titillate the male audience, rather than accommodate female players. 

In the series' past iterations of avatars, generally they've had parity in outfit design. If F!Byleth had M!Byleth's outfit, she'd both look better and be more believable as a teacher — rather than a teenage boy's fantasy of what their teacher should wear. 

So much of this game doesn't work for me visually. You have some really strange choices with stuff like Dorothea's hat, Petra wearing a Pencil Skirt, and whatever the hell is going on with F!Byleth, all clashing with other things that seem to be as old school as ever like what we've seen from the soldiers and enemies.

There's still plenty I'm interested/excited for from a gameplay/mechanical standpoint, but I'm really not a fan of the ascetic direction they've gone.

2 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Edelgard having 4 movement makes me wonder. In the first trailer she could move 5 spaces. Wonder why that change made?

Likely just bringing her inline with everyone else and series standards. It's possible earlier in development Edelgard was her own class like most lords, but now they've made the decision to make all of the students start as generic trainees. And typically trainees have 4 mov and non existent base stats (which does raise the question of how hard the early game on higher difficulties might be in this one)

11 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Edelgard having 4 movement makes me wonder. In the first trailer she could move 5 spaces. Wonder why that change made?

If the Noble class is a Trainee class like I think it is, then I believe only having 4 Mov would make sense because all of the Trainee classes in Sacred Stones had 4 Mov as well.  That said, it's going to make the early-game a serious pain in the butt having to deal with so many low-Mov characters.

10 minutes ago, colossus86 said:

So much of this game doesn't work for me visually. You have some really strange choices with stuff like Dorothea's hat, Petra wearing a Pencil Skirt, and whatever the hell is going on with F!Byleth, all clashing with other things that seem to be as old school as ever like what we've seen from the soldiers and enemies.

There's still plenty I'm interested/excited for from a gameplay/mechanical standpoint, but I'm really not a fan of the ascetic direction they've gone.

I would not be surprised at all if this game's development suffered from significant internal conflicts within IS like Fates's did.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

Cool that we're getting more information. But I'm not much of a fan of the official art in the article; mainly due to the angles and proportions. For example, I normally like Edelgard's design in most images, but the shorts and leggings seem off in this image. 

I didn't like female Byleth's outfit, and I still don't, but it is growing on me just slightly. I still think she needs a shirt and a pair of pants. Edelgard has a decent outfit; why doesn't female Byleth?

As for Sothis… why the exposed legs? Seriously; why? That's just stupid. 

To bring this back to positivity and not negative....I'm interesting in the added details they put for the characters since it looks like alot and their JP VAs!

While I don't really like some characters' designs, ultimately I'm just glad the game seems to be taking itself more seriously, and actively wants to reference old games again mechanically and aesthetically (e.g. blue circles around units like in path of radiance, weapon durability returning, 3d models returning for the maps, etc...)

All this gives me hope that IS is taking this project in a better direction than fates. No offense to those that like that game, but I personally vastly prefer the likes of echoes and path of radiance's more serious tone to fates' customization, child units and the whole "choose your path" theme. This does seem to be back with the three houses, but much better handled as, if the special edition is any indication, there's hopefully not going to be three paid versions of three houses (unlike the three versions of fates)!

Also...is it just me, or have the graphics been improved a lot since before? Everything has more detail and is more colorful!
z_5cb969d81b9ea.jpg

Edited by Dinar87