Does anyone else think that Fates should have used the theme of choice more?

ConquestVeteran

The main selling point of Fates is that you make a choice that determines which route you take. However, aside from choosing whether or not to kill Shura, I'm pretty sure you're not really presented with any opportunities to make choices.

The mods are pretty allergic to the question of ''does anyone else think'' or ''am I the only one'' so you might want to consider changing titles. 

It would have been interesting but less then moral choices wouldn't fit with the dev's vision of an angelic Corrin so that's probably why the decisions aren't in our hands. Can't have Corrin murdering people. 

Personally I feel Fates could’ve done a better job of showing the consequences of your choice. That’s a theme in the game that’s presented somewhat but never really explored fully

Nope.  You're the only person in the world with that thought.  Don't you feel special?!

(a little bit of historical reading on this subforum would've answered this question, including my own)

16 hours ago, ConquestVeteran said:

The main selling point of Fates is that you make a choice that determines which route you take. However, aside from choosing whether or not to kill Shura, I'm pretty sure you're not really presented with any opportunities to make choices.

they had that chance, they wasted it.

we could have had a darker background story on the Nohr side, possibly with Corrin ending up becoming corrupted and turning into an anti-hero, but i guess the developers either didn't want that, or had no time to build upon that aspect.

yet we have Chiper cards with portraits of F!Corrin as the Dark Queen of Nohr, or even Chrom as Risen King.

i really don't understand IS's way of thinking.

Edited by Fenreir

They should have written a good story before implementing player choice. You can put as much player choice in your game but it won't matter if people aren't interested in what is going on. 

19 hours ago, eclipse said:

Nope.  You're the only person in the world with that thought.  Don't you feel special?!

(a little bit of historical reading on this subforum would've answered this question, including my own)

No need to be passive aggressive. If it's a problem, I'll just figure out a way to remove the thread or something of that nature.

1 hour ago, ConquestVeteran said:

No need to be passive aggressive. If it's a problem, I'll just figure out a way to remove the thread or something of that nature.

First, LOOK at your thread title.  You're putting the spotlight on your thoughts, and looking to see if anyone else agrees.  Did you honestly think that you were the only person in the entire FE fandom to come up with that idea?  Because that's what your topic titles implies.  From my PoV, that's either an immense ego speaking, or someone who's looking for validation, and neither are okay.

Didn't mean it like that?  Then stay away from such things, whether it's "Is is just me or (something)", "Am I the only one who (something)", etc.  A topic title should describe what the topic is, without having to resort to tactics that I'd expect to see on a low-quality clickbait site.  Something like "Fates and the theme of choices" explains what the topic is about, without trying to make yourself look special.

To edit a topic title, click and hold down on it.

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

First, LOOK at your thread title.  You're putting the spotlight on your thoughts, and looking to see if anyone else agrees.  Did you honestly think that you were the only person in the entire FE fandom to come up with that idea?  Because that's what your topic titles implies.  From my PoV, that's either an immense ego speaking, or someone who's looking for validation, and neither are okay.

Didn't mean it like that?  Then stay away from such things, whether it's "Is is just me or (something)", "Am I the only one who (something)", etc.  A topic title should describe what the topic is, without having to resort to tactics that I'd expect to see on a low-quality clickbait site.  Something like "Fates and the theme of choices" explains what the topic is about, without trying to make yourself look special.

To edit a topic title, click and hold down on it.

I'm abandoning the thread (since you said it was redundant in your first post) so do with it as you wish. I'm sorry if it appeared as I was egotistical, but I can assure you that I had no ill intent.

Edited by ConquestVeteran

2 hours ago, ConquestVeteran said:

I'm abandoning the thread (since you said it was redundant in your first post) so do with it as you wish. I'm sorry if it appeared as I was egotistical, but I can assure you that I had no ill intent.

The fact that you're posting this instead of changing the title tells me that you'd rather not change yourself.  This is also a bad thing - if you step on someone's toes (and you will, because you're human like the rest of us), apologize and take responsibility for what you did (in this case, it would be a topic title change).

Own your mistakes, don't run from them.

On 4/24/2019 at 12:04 AM, eclipse said:

The fact that you're posting this instead of changing the title tells me that you'd rather not change yourself.  This is also a bad thing - if you step on someone's toes (and you will, because you're human like the rest of us), apologize and take responsibility for what you did (in this case, it would be a topic title change).

Own your mistakes, don't run from them.

Since I'm on mobile, and the way one changes a topic's title isn't cooperating with me today, I figured I'd do the next best thing: offer a personal apology. I have difficulties with my ego on occasion, and have a hard time owing up to my faults and mistakes. I always regret having situations like this happen, but thankfully, I have a way to fix this one: swallowing my pride and saying sorry. It was foolish of me to be so stubborn and pathetic, when I should have just done the rational thing and changed the freaking title. Whether you believe I actually can't change the title or am just being a jerk is up to you (I wouldn't blame you if you don't believe me on this one), but I have taken what you said into consideration and have learned from it. If you choose not to believe this apology is geniune, I understand, but I really do hope that you know that I've taken something away from all this.

4 minutes ago, ConquestVeteran said:

Since I'm on mobile, and the way one changes a topic's title isn't cooperating with me today, I figured I'd do the next best thing: offer a personal apology. I have difficulties with my ego on occasion, and have a hard time owing up to my faults and mistakes. I always regret having situations like this happen, but thankfully, I have a way to fix this one: swallowing my pride and saying sorry. It was foolish of me to be so stubborn and pathetic, when I should have just done the rational thing and changed the freaking title. Whether you believe I actually can't change the title or am just being a jerk is up to you (I wouldn't blame you if you don't believe me on this one), but I have taken what you said into consideration and have learned from it. If you choose not to believe this apology is geniune, I understand, but I really do hope that you know that I've taken something away from all this.

1. Edit the first post.
2. I think the title should be one of the editable fields.  If not, let me know, and I can do it.

On initial announcement, I hoped this would be a CYOA styled FE, where you'd make choices that affected routes and character recruitment to a larger degree than we certainly got.

Bit of a shame.