Persona 5 The Royal

Shiki

Persona is trying Musou now? First Rhythm games, then Fighting, then old fashioned Dungeon Crawlers, and now Beat 'Em Ups? SRPG is next on the lineup, not like it'd be hard, Majin Tensei and Devil Survivor already have the gird movement covered. Persona 8: Sphere of the Mind for an International Football/Soccer game eventually?

Musou isn't wholly unfeasible, that Fates franchise has done a Musou-like game, and Musou certainly can fit with JRPGs. Lots of flashy turn-based fighting turning into not arcane (as in the Fighting genre) non-RPG real time fighting is a manageable shift.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Catherine enhanced port had tonal change issues? Interesting.

I never bought DS2: Record Breaker, so I can't say if that got messed with, but I do think as early Devil Survivor: Overclocked it is arguable Atlus has been doing this, if it is a thing. The 8th Days of DSO were somewhat jarring compared to the 7ths that preceded them. Amane's was fine, probably the best in tone, yet Yuzu's and Naoya/Kaido's ran into issues concerning how Scratchy was portrayed, and Yuzu's had additional faults.

DSO's fault for me might have been making things a little too: simple, "anime", and happy? I'm not sure how to define it exactly. This could well not be a consistent theme, but given that from what I hear might be SJR's new girl and endings fault, and that IV: Apocalypse's (a brand new game released since this possible beginning of change) characters were these things for me, it might be Atlus is just undergoing a fundamental tonal change overall. I hope it doesn't affect SMTV.

Catherine Full Body isn't even out of Japan yet. And Jedi is already bragging about knowing all about it in our faces. :p
That make me all the more curious about the game.

Serious question though, Strange Journey was out before or after Persona 4 ? Depending of the answer you might get the, well, answer to when the tone shift started started.

Because I don't remember SMT being about 'Yeah, humanity can totally change' before SJ, which is funny considering Strange Journey general tone, and I actually liked Redux's new endings precisely because of... it all.

Record Breaker screwed up my favorite ending. As if the original didn't seemed biased enough with their time travel ending where everything is happy for everyone.

About DSO, well, first, I officially declare Scratchy as his best name ever, and second, It's funny because, yeah, the difference of tone between the 8th days and the original content is really striking.

Ehehe, wanna bet about SMTV ? I said it, hope, a rookie mistake. :p
I do hope with you though.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm assuming they'l go about that Shido has Wakaba braindead in a basement somewhere in case he'd ever need her.

Yes. Because that make perfect sense to do that. :p

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Also there will be a Musou Persona game. This Persona 5 will be on the Switch. Damn it Atlus.

Meanwhile, Philemon and Nyarly are rolling in his graves even more. This isn't why they fought for !

I wanted to defend it by saying that PQ2 was on the 3DS... but well, I realized that the Switch a tiny bit more powerful than the 3DS, so there is no reason why both this game and P5 Royal shouldn't be on the Switch. :/
I really do feel bad for those who have a Switch but not a PS4. It's really not fun wanting a game that is on a console you don't have, especially when said game is basically a glorified update.

3 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Also there will be a Musou Persona game. This Persona 5 will be on the Switch. Damn it Atlus.

Meanwhile, on SMT V’s development:

Edited by Roland
Mobile posting. Ruined the joke.

48 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well....it kinda does. Just kidnapping her leads to risk of escape or people looking for her. People being in a coma don't run off and people being ''dead' aren't searched for. 

Yeah, I kind of killed my own joke. Sorry. :/
The justification you gave had merit, from the perspective of the person in charge of doing the bad writing/retcon/whatever's, otherwise, it doesn't. You don't let someone you stole the work about a Carl Jung-like world and powers, who know you are going to abuse it, alive, you just don't, it's basic sense.

It's going to be so cringe, I feel it.

3 hours ago, B.Leu said:

Serious question though, Strange Journey was out before or after Persona 4 ? Depending of the answer you might get the, well, answer to when the tone shift started started.

Persona 4 vanilla released on July 10th 2008 (in Japan), Strange Journey vanilla released on October 8th, 2009. The original Devil Survivor released between these two dates, on January 15th 2009.

I admittedly haven't finished original SJ, but from the ~half of it I've played (up meeting Jack's Squad), it didn't seem like there was a tonal shift there to me. And from what I know already of the Law and Chaos endings, they still seem perfectly bleak.

Although admittedly, just going off of some instances of bleakness might not be enough. The Bootes experiments where demons just keep repeating they did good things by torturing and killing humans is very bleak. Yet Apocalypse, a game definitely a victim of the tonal shift, begins the game by having two old mentors' blood splatter everywhere. 

That brings me to a problem created by the tonal shift. SMT is keeping bleak ("dark") elements to it, and yet concurrently including the silly and overly hopeful. Apo has that opening, but it also has that dress up in makeup scene much later to name a particularly awful instance. The result is a disparate game that can't decide what it truly is. And it is arguable whether this is better than having SMT shed its bleakness altogether, if the lighthearted and optimistic are to remain a part of the franchise moving forward.

3 hours ago, B.Leu said:

the difference of tone between the 8th days and the original content is really striking.

I don't see how one can square the Shomonkai Founder on Yuzu's 8th, where he is a responsible and rational humanist, not beholden to the demon he has summoned. And the 7th Day for everyone else Founder, a cultist who passionately (thanks for the VAs Overcocked) offers his flesh, his soul, and his life to the same demon.  

And the "our parents are being held hostage" shtick on Yuzu's 8th was another very poorly written blow against it. Maybe they shouldn't have made the 8th Days take place immediately after the 7th, a delay might have helped. And the lockdown and countdown to doomsday ending removed a core aspect of DS1's tension and atmosphere.

Yes!!! This looks amazing! Persona 5 R is P4 Golden, but 10x better. And a Dynasty Warriors spin off? Holy cow. I hope we can play as other Persona characters in it. What a time to be alive.

2 hours ago, Roland said:

Meanwhile, on SMT V’s development:

:facepalm: See, this ladies and gentlemen is why nobody likes an SMT fan.

7 minutes ago, Decerd said:

See, this ladies and gentlemen is why nobody likes an SMT fan.

I hardly think that's fair. All he wants is atlus to give some attention one of his favorite franchises. No need to dunk on him for him being a little impatient

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

I hardly think that's fair. All he wants is atlus to give some attention one of his favorite franchises. No need to dunk on him for him being a little impatient

You probably shouldn't reply to him, he's not a fair person, or a very good person to begin with. Best to ignore Decerd.

Just now, Jedi said:

You probably shouldn't reply to him, he's not a fair person, or a very good person to begin with. Best to ignore Decerd.

fair enough I suppose.

11 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Yes!!! This looks amazing! Persona 5 R is P4 Golden, but 10x better. And a Dynasty Warriors spin off? Holy cow. I hope we can play as other Persona characters in it. What a time to be alive.

:facepalm: See, this ladies and gentlemen is why nobody likes an SMT fan.

Why am I not surprised that you’d say this something like this to me?

Look, I don’t know about you and everyone else, but I’m getting rather burnt out at seeing Persona get pretty much everything while I sit here and watch SMT basically sit in the dust. 

I’ve been a fan of Atlus for a long time, but frankly I’ve had enough of this. Excuse me for being let down.

speaking of SMT 5 how long has it been since that teaser? I mean I'm surprised how long we've gone without any information then again I don't follow SMT but I've been thinking about getting into the series seeing as I like Persona. It's worth a shot at least(even though in terms of tone the games are very different)

Edited by Ottservia

1 minute ago, Roland said:

Look, I don’t know about you and everyone else, but I’m getting rather burnt out at seeing Persona get pretty much everything while I sit here and watch SMT basically sit in the dust. 

I’ve been a fan of Atlus for a long time, but frankly I’ve had enough of this. Excuse me for being let down.

Then drop it. If you genuinely are as upset as you say you are, then why waste any more of your time? Move on my dude, and let the people who are excited have their fun instead of ruin it.

7 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

This whole idea of SMT being a big league series is ludicrous when it never was to begin with, and it’s perpetrated by far too many people in the MegaTen community. I’ve become convinced they take it out on Persona because it somehow makes sense to them.

9 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Thanks pal. Don’t mind me. Just sticking up for a series that gets the wrong kinda hate for the wrong kinda resasons.

16 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

It's a worth a shot(even though in terms of tone the games are very different)

My recommendation is to start with Devil Survivor, or Devil Survivor 2, which is a little closer to Persona and "anime" in tone. And by "anime" I mean Airi- a redhead tsundere whose attire I could see Severa wearing. They're good games, nice characters, with SRPG gird movement, like Fire Emblem, but SMT combat.

Afterwards, try SMTIV, followed by Apocalypse if you liked it. Hold off until after IV to try Nocturne, for it is a little dated and unforgiving in a few aspects, if still very good to this day. If Nocturne is fun, then go ahead try Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, they've something of that dystopian young adult novel vibe that swept the movies with The Hunger Games a some years ago, and which had been preceded by the young adult novels themselves.

Anything pre-Nocturne is old-school SMT, which is a more acquired, niche taste. Although you can buy SMT1 in English on iOS.

And if by some chance you stumble on a Wii U, try the bastard child know as Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

5 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Then drop it. If you genuinely are as upset as you say you are, then why waste any more of your time? Move on my dude, and let the people who are excited have their fun instead of ruin it.

I’ve been a huge fan of the SMT series, and I am super excited for V. I’d like to think Atlus isn’t cold enough to leave SMT behind but I’ve been having second thoughts lately. And I’m not trying to ruin anyone’s fun. People want to play Persona? They can play Persona.

8 minutes ago, Decerd said:

This whole idea of SMT being a big league series is ludicrous when it never was to begin with, and it’s perpetrated by far too many people in the MegaTen community. I’ve become convinced they take it out on Persona because it somehow makes sense to them.

I never implied it was? I dunno what SMT fans you’ve been interacting with, but I’ve never picked on Persona “because it makes sense to them” or whatever you mean by that. In fact, I like P3 more than Nocturne. 

16 minutes ago, Roland said:

count yourself lucky, most of my favourite franchises are in the grave

unless catastrophic scenarios happen, SMT V is actually going to materialise eventually and not have its carcass dragged out to milk out pennies ala a dungeon keeper mobile or something

3 minutes ago, Roland said:

I’ve been a huge fan of the SMT series, and I am super excited for V. I’d like to think Atlus isn’t cold enough to leave SMT behind but I’ve been having second thoughts lately. And I’m not trying to ruin anyone’s fun. People want to play Persona? They can play Persona.

So, you’re not trying to ruin the mood, yet you made a comment about how SMT V has nothing in a Persona announcement thread. Riiiigth.

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

I never implied it was? I dunno what SMT fans you’ve been interacting with, but I’ve never picked on Persona “because it makes sense to them” or whatever you mean by that. In fact, I like P3 more than Nocturne. 

Two words: MegaTen. Reddit. Have fun, or lack there of.

5 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

unless catastrophic scenarios happen, SMT V is actually going to materialise eventually and not have its carcass dragged out to milk out pennies ala a dungeon keeper mobile or something

Thank! You! I guess some people haven’t heard of the term “profitable IP.”

30 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

speaking of SMT 5 how long has it been since that teaser? I mean I'm surprised how long we've gone without any information then again I don't follow SMT but I've been thinking about getting into the series seeing as I like Persona. It's worth a shot at least(even though in terms of tone the games are very different)

2 years since the Switch event teaser, 1 and a half since the one announcing it as SMTV.

18 minutes ago, Decerd said:

So, you’re not trying to ruin the mood, yet you made a comment about how SMT V has nothing in a Persona announcement thread. Riiiigth.

That was made as a joke. I haven’t come in here calling people names or saying fans of Persona are garbage (*cough*similar to what you did*cough*), I expressed my disappointment through a joke. Hell even earlier I stated P5R’s new content looked interesting.

18 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Two words: MegaTen. Reddit. Have fun, or lack there of.

That place doesn’t represent ever SMT fan on Earth ever. No site dedicated to anything does.

24 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

You’re right. Compared to other series, SMT is most fortunate to last as long as it has. I’m not arguing that SMT is dying, I’m bummed that Atlus has been selling it so sort as they have been. If watching another series get re-releases of the game with new content, a Dynasty Warriors spin-off, freaking dancing games, a spin-off/crossover dungeon crawler with other games in the series, an appearance in the biggest crossover fighting game ever Smash Bros, crossovers in mobile games and it’s very own anime, and sitting there and watch you’re favorite series get virtually nothing in comparison is what I have to look forward to, then I’m out. I’m not going to sit here and be the third wheel.

Edited by Roland

9 minutes ago, Roland said:

I’m bummed that Atlus has been selling it so sort as they have been. If watching another series get re-releases of the game with new content, a Dynasty Warriors spin-off, freaking dancing games, a spin-off/crossover dungeon crawler with other games in the series, an appearance in the biggest crossover fighting game ever Smash Bros, crossovers in mobile games and it’s very own anime, and sitting there and watch you’re favorite series get virtually nothing in comparison is what I have to look forward to, then I’m out. I’m not going to sit here and be the third wheel.

Persona 5 has sold 2.7 million units.

As far as I can tell, the highest selling SMT game is IV... at 600k.

Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't seen a bunch of people thinking that SMTV will end up taking a lot from Persona.

Edited by The DanMan

15 minutes ago, Roland said:

That was made as a joke. I haven’t come in here calling people names or saying fans of Persona are garbage (*cough*similar to what you did*cough*), I expressed my disappointment through a joke. Hell even earlier I stated P5R’s new content looked interesting.

“It’s a joke.” I wonder else in your mind is “a joke”.

That place doesn’t represent ever SMT fan on Earth ever. No site dedicated to anything does.

No, but the people there sure do hate on Persona’s success like you do.

You’re right. Compared to other series, SMT is most fortunate to last as long as it has. I’m not arguing that SMT is dying, I’m bummed that Atlus has been selling it so sort as they have been. If watching another series get re-releases of the game with new content, a Dynasty Warriors spin-off, freaking dancing games, a spin-off/crossover dungeon crawler with other games in the series, an appearance in the biggest crossover fighting game ever Smash Bros, crossovers in mobile games and it’s very own anime, and sitting there and watch you’re favorite series get virtually nothing in comparison is what I have to look forward to, then I’m out. I’m not going to sit here and be the third wheel.

Then leave. Drop Atlus’s products and never buy stuff from them again. No one cares about your “victim story” you have to tell.

11 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't seen a bunch of people thinking that SMTV will end up taking a lot from Persona.

If it did that, then it’d be IV: Apocalypse 2.0, and yeah....I don’t think anyone needs that.

Edited by Decerd

It’s actually really simple why Persona is more popular that SMT. 

SMT is not a beginner friendly series, it’s themes probably turns off the more religious gamers, it can be grind heavy and it’s fandom is guilty of gatekeeping.

I agree Persona games look better than SMT myself. SMT does not seem to be to my tastes at all.

I've never played a Persona game, but this Persona 5 Warriors game might be something I'd be into since I've enjoyed the Warriors gameplay in the Zelda and FE installments. Too bad about that other Persona 5 game not being on Switch though. Weird how they're releasing one there and not the other.

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I agree Persona games look better than SMT myself. SMT does not seem to be to my tastes at all.

And that’s perfectly fine. I’d just like to believe I’m not being left in the dust is all.

20 minutes ago, Decerd said:

“It’s a joke.” I wonder else in your mind is “a joke”.

If you look in a mirror you’ll find out.

21 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Then leave. Drop Atlus’s products and never buy stuff from them again. No one cares about your “victim story” you have to tell.

Apparently expressing dissatisfaction with a company is a “victim story”. Okay then.