Your favorite FE Artstyle/Graphics?

Comycat_Aleu

These are just opinions, you can disagree but please don’t take anything personally!

I was curious about what other people consider their favorite Artstyle in the series, in terms of both the character portraits, menus, and just general graphics.

For character portraits, I think Fates takes the cake. I like the texture underlay they use, that gives it that dirtier feel compared to Awakening. I really disliked the older games Artstyle in this regard, it just doesn’t look... good.

I haven’t played Hero’s, but I think the Chibi map is absolutely adorable. I don’t prefer any map style over another as long as it’s 2D (I really dislike the 3D models on or as the map). 

As for general character models, for some reason I think awakening had more charm. I like the pixel art of the older games, but I just think the characters without feet give them a certain degree of uniqueness. One thing I dislike about FE as a whole is the horrible clipping that happens (Just give Corrin a fox tail and see what I mean). I also think the FE warriors models are... kinda weird? I don’t know what it is about them, I just dislike them (and again with the 3D models as the portraits, ugh)

notice I haven’t talked about the Wii era of Games, that’s because I haven’t seen enough of them to make an opinion.

for me, it depends:

- drawing style/portraits: Fates;

- armor/outfit designs: Sacred Stones;

- world map: Echoes;

- scenery: Awakening.

however, if i were to choose a single title, i'd say Awakening without doubts.

then again, from the NES up to the GBA era the visuals are quite different due to being 2D, so those can't really be compared with titles from the 3DS era.

Hm..Let's see..

Portraits/Status Screen-Radiant Dawn/FE10. I don't really know how to explain it, it just works to me.

Map Sprites-Fates. They're cute, understandable (in terms of ''who da qruck is this unit?'') and cool. I do have some trouble with the new classes, though.

Designs-I'm lost at this one..maybe (New) Mystery of the Emblem?

Backgrounds-Shadows of Valentia. There's not really much to say here: I don't really care about any background from the older games and hate most of FE13 maps.

''Models''-FE5/Thracia 776. 

I think a lot of games did things right, so I'll just put my own categories.  I'm excluding Heroes due to the sheer number of contributing artists.

Best-dressed women: FE5, and so far, nothing has come close to it
Best colors: Tellius
Best map sprites: Fates
Best in-game portraits (think stat screen): Elibe

I'm missing a bunch, but that's all I can think of for now.

Tellius for all this stuff, though PoR's graphics are kinda eh, only RD actually makes it in that department. But Senri Kita is best artist! She does such a beautiful job! Also, RD Ike is my favorite design in the whole series. He's hot and sexy without his outfit looking stupid or revealing anything for the sake of it, he's got perfect muscles, and as Vanguard, he has the prettiest cape and armor. The armor is my favorite color!

Edited by Anacybele

generally I think that radiant dawn was the best the series has had in the art department, the models are phenomenal both on map and in battle, the designs are excellent across the board, the portraits are in line with the rest of the series (really, there are no bad portraits in the series, unless you go back to NES, but even that has it's place) the lack of emotes really does nothing, the only lesser point is backgrounds, but that seems more like the time rather than the game itself fates and SoV have done it best so far.

Echoes definitely takes the cake, Hidari's style and illustrations are amazing and work so well. The colors are amazing, and the animations are the most realistic and best out of the 3ds games. I think the snes games have the best in combat and map sprites, I just think they're classic and really well done, with the dark colors and critical animations being great. I think FE4, 5 and Echoes are the best in terms of unit design and overall look.

Echoes for portraits.

Awakening for Map and combat - Was a big deal for my expectations for handheld 3D especially at the beginning of a new hardware generation (mostly due to Original DS games and their N64ness)

Shadows of Valentia in terms of art. I love Hidari's art style, everything about it is nice and the character designs are consistently good too. No idea what my favorite is in terms of maps/graphics though, but I do like the animations from the GBA games a lot.

Artstyle: Definitely Echoes. Hidari's style looks great and was very refreshing after Kozaki's style (not saying its bad, but it got kinda stale)

For Gameplay/Menu/Other stuff: I have to give it to radiant dawn. I played it recently and while the models aren't hd they still hold up very well. Menus look and function well. Maps are pretty good design (as in art design) wise, and by gods those combat animations.

As far as graphical quality goes, new games are obviously going to have an advantage over old games, so this will have to be purely down to art.

In that case, Path of Radiance for me. I like the combination of realistic and stylized. The character portraits are really well-done, but the artwork especially shines in the area of the CGs and the cutscenes. I really miss the CGs; for some reason, IS kept using cutscenes but never really had CGs anymore in FE games after Shadow Dragon. And that's a little saddening, as I feel Path of Radiance in particular knew exactly when to use cutscenes and when to use CGs in terms of what would complement the story best. The scene of Ike and Mist mourning Greil is far better than any cutscene version could hope to be.

It's definitely not perfect, and there are a lot of things I could point to if they ever make a remake, but it is the best for me. 

Also, if there is a sequel, either add more detail to the CGs, or leave them completely untouched. Don't remove them, and don't even think about replacing them. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to say my favorite character portraits are from Radiant Dawn, but the official character artwork from Awakening is the best IMO.

I also really love Awakening's style of cg cutscenes. The scene where Lucina shows her brand is one of the best cutscenes in the series to me, and the trailer for Lucina and Robin in smash was pretty dope.

And I feel like echoes had the best 3d models and animations thus far. They were they only ones on 3ds games that I didn't think look silly.

I'm gonna go with the awakening/fates. I just love Kozaki's artstyle. The man is talented I'll tell you what and he really knows how to make a character look distinctive

Radiant Dawn is my favorite, especially the art panels (or whatever they're called). Heroes as well has a lot of great ones. There's just something I love about Shadow Dragon/New Mystery of the Emblem art too. Cipher too has some awesome art.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say my favorite goes to Echoes.

Character portraits, sprites and overall pallette give off a really good impression and do a great job at adapting a classic for a modern platform.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine goes to Yusuke Kozaki. I'm going to art school, so these are some of the notes I happen to love about his artwork:

Chrom- Concept Art: 

1. Love how he labeled every part and was very specific on what each part does.

2. Really the different poses and expressions.

Manakete Transformation:

1. Love the watercolor and how it focuses on 1-3 colors and how it goes well with ink.

2. Dragon Wings are not feathers, but rather, remniscent of leafy sea dragons. As a result he asks to give animation of flowing in water.

I happen to really like the animating, coloring, and lighting for the cutscenes of Awakening and Fates. There so colorful and vibrant. I'm dissapointed 3 Houses is doing a traditional animation.