Using Jeigan/Oifey

jdb1984

2 hours ago, bethany81707 said:

Silvers are A Rank, so they're not even good for that. Especially in Path of Radiance, where they're the end of the line- if you can use a Silver Axe, which Titania would theoretically have given the player access to, you can use any axe you can legitimately obtain, because there's no Urvan. At least Titania does have the Axe rank to use Silver Axes when they come around.
Sothe's has a B Rank in Knives, which is what the Kard is, but he doesn't have a good enough rank to have a Silver knife to distribute if anyone even wanted one.

Though it does bear mentioning that, in regards to prepromoted units holding Silver Lances, Tauroneo has one. Once Tauroneo leaves the party, this is good for Aran (starts D), Fiona (starts C), promoted Jill (starts D), and promoted Meg (starts E).
If we're counting Tauroneo as a Jagen/general prepromote for the purposes of this topic (his contribution as one is debatable), I have indeed used Tauroneo- he even came to the Tower one time. He's... a unit. All his stats are solid, he doesn't really shine in anything. There are prepromotes everywhere and I've given most of them a fair share- I think Volug, Oliver, Giffca and Volke are the only ones left, depending on who you count and why you count them. Radiant Dawn's system in general is a pain to apply terminology and series staples to.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Tauroneo. The guy is good for the Dawn Brigade chapters (at least the ones you can actually use him in), since he can't die (even in 3-13), so he's my meatiest shield in these chapters. But, like all Knights and Generals, he eventually falls out of use come part 4, where other units take precedence over him. Me, I always give his Resolve skill to Volug for part 3 Wrath-Resolve shenanigans. Human Volug with Wrath+Resolve gets rid of enemy laguz surprisingly quickly and he gains a good amount of levels, too. Enough to catch up with Nailah, actually.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the archetype. I understand the purpose behind it, but in practice, I find myself more engaged having my supposedly "weak" units pull their own weight than having a "strong" unit weaken the enemy first. Sure, I know that their bases are good and can last them for quite a while, but I just find it more satisfying to train up the starting units and watch them grow over the course of the game. Doesn't help that Jeigans range drastically in how well they do their job in keeping enemy units alive (why does Fredrick start with a silver lance and Seth double everything, again?)

Doesn't mean that I dislike that playstyle, per se. I enjoyed using Alm and Lukas to level up the villagers in the beginning of Shadows of Valentia, and having rookies kill aliens that veterans injured in XCOM is a tense and engaging experience. The difference being that, in the event that the stronger unit killed the enemy by accident, they could still put that experience to use. Jeigans? Not so much.

The 2 situations I typically use them for are:

Try to have them weaken enemies, so others can finish it off for the exp

Bailing someone out of a bad situation or at an enemy that NEEDS to die right then and there and nobody else can.

But depending on the game, sometimes i'll keep them around, if they are someone who can remain useful for the entire game like Seth or Marcus.