FE Twitter shows new Anna design, some footage (& on-going character profiles)

Jedi

RPG dialogue trees having several different options for saying the same thing is nothing new. I'd personally argue it's even desirable
 since it allows you to build your own image of how the character behaves. The alternative is being a passive onlooker watching characters talk, while this at least allows to do some roleplaying. 

In this case, option 1 would be the more confident/enthusiastic response (promises success) while option 2 is more reserved (only promises to do what they can). Most of the time dialogue options are not about making constant "meaningful" choices, but keeping the player as an active participant while allowing them to season the conversation with small variations.

For example in Dragon Age Origins, after the prologue you are forced to join an order for the rest of the game no matter what you choose. The plot would never move forward if you didn't join.  When presented with the offer the dialogue tree offers you not one, not two, not three but four different ways of saying "Yes":

1. I would be honored.

2. I accept.

3. Well, I can't see as I have much choice.

4. If it gets me out of the Deep Roads, I'm yours.

Three Houses is already promising to have a major(?) route choice with three options, which is more than most  games that are not VNs or choose your own story-adventure games. If anything they are maybe being a bit too ambitious with their promise of choice.

DAOCh.PNG

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Guest Lae said:

Yeah I can see some choices effecting things like support point(ie the heart in the Feb trailer with 1 or 2 arrows similar to say Persona 5s music notes which gives a certain amount based on how you answer and may also effect ones mood so you can further train up specific characters I feel these are likely things I can see happening.

Those are some great ideas and pretty believable things that could happen!

4 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

ah, Kikuko Inoue, of course they get HER to voice the most elegant, matronly woman in the game. So, when's "17 years old" cropping up? Also wouldn't be surprised if Rea and Jeralt knowing each other is a joke on how Inoue and Ohtsuka have been frequent collaborators like in Metal Gear Solid.

43 minutes ago, Mapina said:

RPG dialogue trees having several different options for saying the same thing is nothing new. I'd personally argue it's even desirable
 since it allows you to build your own image of how the character behaves. The alternative is being a passive onlooker watching characters talk, while this at least allows to do some roleplaying. 

In this case, option 1 would be the more confident/enthusiastic response (promises success) while option 2 is more reserved (only promises to do what they can). Most of the time dialogue options are not about making constant "meaningful" choices, but keeping the player as an active participant while allowing them to season the conversation with small variations.

For example in Dragon Age Origins, after the prologue you are forced to join an order for the rest of the game no matter what you choose. The plot would never move forward if you didn't join.  When presented with the offer the dialogue tree offers you not one, not two, not three but four different ways of saying "Yes":

1. I would be honored.

2. I accept.

3. Well, I can't see as I have much choice.

4. If it gets me out of the Deep Roads, I'm yours.

Three Houses is already promising to have a major(?) route choice with three options, which is more than most  games that are not VNs or choose your own story-adventure games. If anything they are maybe being a bit too ambitious with their promise of choice.

DAOCh.PNG

Man i gotta get into that game eventually.

Anyways yeah that sounds about right, like i Mass Effect where most choices dont have consequences but its always good to be able to answer how you want.

Thats even true for VNs since most of the choices wont have inmediate consequences, they are usually just flags thatvwill be used to lock or unlock endings.

While I don't consider having a silent avatar to be the No.1 thing I wanted for this game, it's at least better than Robin and Corrin. Corrin just irritated me so much with how they acted all the same, and Robin is so generically handyman that not talking probably would have had the same effect.

I'm hoping they at least have variety with the dialogue options though. If they're just giving options that all basically mean the same thing, it kind of loses any significance. The protagonist from Devil Survivor 2 is a great example of how to make varying dialogue options that are a lot of fun to mess with.

someone on tumblr pointed this out and I thought it would be interesting to share (also apologises if this is the wrong place to post this)

tumblr_pr1idmpLeg1rzdb7lo1_540.png

You know, with Rea's hair styled the way it is, we can't see if her ears are pointed or not... Her hair and eyes are also a more muted version of Sothis'. I definitely think there's some connection between the two. Possibilities:

1. Sothis is Seiros, the goddess the Church worships, and Rea is her clone/a magical copy of her.

2. Sothis and Rea are two halves of the goddess Seiros split into two people, which could explain Sothis' memory loss.

3. Rea and Sothis are both related/connected to Seiros, but neither are her.

The fact that Jeralt is featured as a prominent character alongside Edel; Dimitri; Claude and Rea makes me optimistic about his survival. However when thinking about Path of Radiance, Greil can most definitely be counted as a prominent character despite dying as early as he did. Hoping they get rid and try something new with Jeralt so I'm staying cautiously optimistic atm.

1 hour ago, Corrobin said:

With the L/R thing, how do we know it's Rea/Reia and not Lea/Leia?

Fair point, but I'd assume it would be localized as Rhea in reference to the mythological mothers Rhea and Rhea Silvia. Rhea is the mother of some of the Greco-Roman gods and goddesses including Zeus/Jupiter. Rhea Silvia is the mother of Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome. This naming convention would be similar to Sothis, who is named after an Egyptian goddess who was sometimes associated with guiding departed souls, mirroring Sothis' (Three Houses) role as a guide for Byleth. Rhea (Three Houses) is stated in the bio to have a motherly disposition. As the highest ranking Archbishop, she could also be considered the "mother" of the Church of Seiros.

So this means we have Sothis, Rea/Lea, and whoever that mystery girl was in the trailer with the dragon blade thing.

(Mystery girl had mostly blonde hair with some green bits, different flowers in her hair and a completely different outfit. I think we know she and Rea aren't the same person now.)

On 5/4/2019 at 9:09 PM, Sentinel07 said:

Yeah, that sucks. Don't get why they go cheaper on advertising internationally. No reason we shouldn't be getting some English videos at this point.

On 5/4/2019 at 8:12 PM, Enduin said:

Hopefully they have articles with some Western publications coming soon too. Would kind of suck if they're just waiting until E3 to start their marketing outside of Japan.  The M/W/F Tweets are nice, but we're not even getting localized versions of the video portions to see how the VO is.

To be fair, many games get this. Publications like Famitsu just aren't really much of a thing in the west anymore, and Nintendo is a Japanese company so it's just simpler, logistically, to reveal details in a Japanese publication and let the internet spread it from there.

Even Smash has seen treatment like this.

21 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

English:
Rea: Please support the students so they can live without worries.
Byleth: >Of course.
             > I'll do what I can.
Rea: Good. I have great expectations for you.

Tough choice.

[Black Eagles] Hubert (CV: Konishi Katsuyuki, also did Xander)

The tactician of the Black Eagles. The eldest son of the house of Marquis Vestra(?), he has served Edelgard from a young age. He will do whatever it takes to eliminate obstacles for her. According to Edelgard, he is a calculating but honorable individual.

"My name is Hubert. I am a servant of Lady Edelgard. I heard that you saved my mistress. I thank you."

@SatsumaFSoysoy Thank you for the translations.

Somehow I kinda like Hubert. He seems and looks weird, but maybe that and his loyalty to Edelgard make him likable to me. I am looking forward to a creepy Frederick type of guy.

It might not make a difference gameplay wise, but I guess he will be starting as a Noble then.

Man, we’ve gotten a lot of info lately. I like this. If only another certain company would give out info on upcoming titles like this....*cough*Atlus*cough*

Anyways, but late, but Rea totally gives off the “secretly evil” vibe. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s the final boss or something similar.

Oh, and Hubert looks....decent I guess.

Do you think that this week it's gonna be the Black Eagles presentation ?

Or something like :

Monday : student from Black Eagles

Tuesday : student from Blue Lions

Wednesday : student from Golden Deers

Etc..

Edited by Chitsuuki

1 hour ago, zuibangde said:

Interesting that pretty much every single character introduced so far (other than Jeralt) gives off a potentially antagonistic vibe. 

And everyone is betting on him dying soon. Oh dear. 

Please don't tell me Hubert is also a teenager. It would be nice with a bit more age range, and I wouldn't buy this guy being that much younger than me. 

5 minutes ago, Thane said:

And everyone is betting on him dying soon. Oh dear. 

Please don't tell me Hubert is also a teenager. It would be nice with a bit more age range, and I wouldn't buy this guy being that much younger than me. 

Who has been confirmed to be a teenager? 

25 minutes ago, Chitsuuki said:

Or something like :

Etc..

It would be more interesting to get the houses students on rotation, but since they tend to show lots of information with the Black Eagles, they might go for them first.

4 minutes ago, Thane said:

Some of the students look a little older. Hubert seems like he might be a little older too.

In my headcanon this academy is more like university than high school. I think it is totally possible that the ages vary a bit.

34 minutes ago, Chitsuuki said:

Or something like :

Etc..

I’m personally hoping we get them in rotation rather than all the black eagles then the next house and so on.

as for Hubert himself, he seems interesting. I didn’t pin him as what he is tbh, but I’m happy.

I'm ok with each student from each house being focused on as long as they don't start dealing with plot relevant characters we don't know about yet. Having the 24 students + Byleth; Jeralt; Rea; maybe the two other teachers, will be enough without spoiling other potential antagonists or playable characters outside of the school setting.

Hubert is looking really cool - his design does give me the impression he is a lot older than a lot of the students - and his VA and his position as the Eldest Son of House Vestra makes me think he's somewhere in his early/mid 30s.