FE Twitter shows new Anna design, some footage (& on-going character profiles)

Jedi

2 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

The male and female names are ベレト  and ベレス respectively, which is "bereto" and "beresu" when romanized. I don't know if Bylese is an actual name used in mythology but that's a fair enough interpretation of the spelling differences between genders.

Does she follow the same naming pattern as Robin and Corrin in Japanese? Is she named Byleth in the English translation?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Arvin said:

Does she follow the same naming pattern as Robin and Corrin in Japanese? Is she named Byleth in the English translation?

As far as I'm aware, Robin and Corrin have the same names in Japanese regardless of gender which would make the Three Houses avatar the first one with a different name for male and female. As far as the English release, I don't think there is any official media released that specifies what the female version is called or if her name will even be different.

It seems like they're showing all the most important characters first, I wonder who they'll show after Rea.

I also really dig Jeralt and Rea's designs...it's sad that they'll probably be unplayable in the main story and we'll be stuck with the bland-ish students.

I also wonder how Supports will work if we're a silent protagonist. I guess we can still talk during supports but if that happens, it will be kind of weird for me that we're only able to talk when it's something not relating to the main plotline. Or maybe supports are just between the other characters and Byleth doesn't get any. 

Edited by zuibangde

8 hours ago, Enduin said:

Hopefully they have articles with some Western publications coming soon too. Would kind of suck if they're just waiting until E3 to start their marketing outside of Japan.  The M/W/F Tweets are nice, but we're not even getting localized versions of the video portions to see how the VO is.

You're right, that could be a real problem. Basically we're doing the promoting for them at this point, and that rarely works.

Hopefully there's a Nintendo Direct planned relatively soon, to push Super Mario Maker 2. But with E3 right around the corner, who knows.

Edit: Neverming, SMM2 is after E3. Then there's just no way, E3 is in ~40 days only.

>Rea

Yup, looks secretly evil to me. Interesting that her and Jeralt likely know one another fairly well... and most importantly, that he'd be willing to work under her again. Either he's corrupt, he somehow doesn't know her that well, or both of them are actually legit good people.

Edited by Cysx

Rea could either go - yeah I'm the Mikoto/Emmeryn type that gets killed to further the plot since I'm a matriarch and that's my entire character, or her ruthless side becomes her entire character when it becomes clear she's a baddie. A motherly villain sort of like Birthright Camilla could be pulled off ok if they don't make her character a complete fetish though...

"Please, support the students so that they are not troubled by needless worries

• Of course
  • I'll do what I can

"Yes, I'm counting on you."."

So there are going to be yes and yes responses. Also Byleth will only speak in a map. More like in Persona where the MCs give most of the time gives gestures and everyone understands them. I don't know how effective that will be in the game,

I really like Rea's design tbh. I really hope that design doesn't go to waste like Emmeryn's and Mikoto's and she ends up dying early on. I can see her being a villain, but a villain is doing what she has to, not because she has any ill will towards Byleth or the students.

As for Byleth being silent, I'm rather happy tbh, tho I hope these option we are getting aren't always yes or yes because you might as well just Byleth their own personality with a voice. It will also be interesting to see how supports function. So overall, I'm super happy with these reveals and hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday we get either more npcs or maybe start getting students.

Ah yes, adding dialogue options that basically mean the same thing adds so much to my experience.

Hopefully that's just because this is early in the story, and later on we'll have actually meaningful choices.

6 hours ago, Thane said:

while on the other hand passes down strict judgement on those who oppose the Church.

This like 99% confirms my suspicions that she'll end up being the villain. I can see it now: our heroes discover the truth causing them to oppose the Church, at which point Rea drops her kind mother act and shows no mercy as she tries to defeat our heroes.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This like 99% confirms my suspicions that she'll end up being the villain. I can see it now: our heroes discover the truth causing them to oppose the Church, at which point Rea drops her kind mother act and shows no mercy as she tries to defeat our heroes.

I still think she's the singer of the main theme, so I'll go with her still being conflicted when we end up on opposing sides.

Pure speculation based only on snippets, mind you, but that's part of the fun.

Guest Lae
29 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

So there are going to be yes and yes responses. Also Byleth will only speak in a map. More like in Persona where the MCs give most of the time gives gestures and everyone understands them. I don't know how effective that will be in the game,

Thats what I'm wondering especially in supports I don't mind if the choices are slightly different but the same outcome but a bit to add enough flair to the choices made either way I'm glad there going with the Person Avatar Protagonist route which is a good choice since it feels much more like YOU are interacting/pairing with somebody than with already made dialogue this could be good if they do the Persona magic well here!

16 minutes ago, Thane said:

I still think she's the singer of the main theme, so I'll go with her still being conflicted when we end up on opposing sides.

Oh that's actually pretty interesting. I haven't really paid attention to the lyrics. Think you can share why you think the main theme is sung from Rea's perspective?

5 minutes ago, Guest Lae said:

Thats what I'm wondering especially in supports I don't mind if the choices are slightly different but the same outcome but a bit to add enough flair to the choices made either way I'm glad there going with the Person Avatar Protagonist route which is a good choice since it feels much more like YOU are interacting/pairing with somebody than with already made dialogue this could be good if they do the Persona magic well here!

Completely agree with you makes me more excited for it now(not just because Persona is one of my favorite series but taking a concept that work really well and possibly working well here with immersion I guess the SMT x FE crossover actually gave them an idea for this avatar!) just hope its done really well and we'll have something good going foward!

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

Lets remember that Byleth is talking with the person with the most power in Fodland and who is likely feared because of her harsh side.

It makes sense why your only options are accept, Byleth cant take any risks with her.

5 hours ago, zuibangde said:

It seems like they're showing all the most important characters first, I wonder who they'll show after Rea.

I also really dig Jeralt and Rea's designs...it's sad that they'll probably be unplayable in the main story and we'll be stuck with the bland-ish students.

I also wonder how Supports will work if we're a silent protagonist. I guess we can still talk during supports but if that happens, it will be kind of weird for me that we're only able to talk when it's something not relating to the main plotline. Or maybe supports are just between the other characters and Byleth doesn't get any. 

Persona, Growlanser, Dragon Quest, Devil Survivor, etcmanage to handle relationship esque mechanics well. Silent Protagonists have never been an issue when it comes to character interaction and we have already seen images of students asking Byleth things which allows us to make choices.

There is a reason why the avatars can support  everyone, most people care about who their pair their avatar with the most. I dont know why people think that pairing other characters are the most important.

12 minutes ago, kratoscar2008 said:

Lets remember that Byleth is talking with the person with the most power in Fodland and who is likely feared because of her harsh side.

It makes sense why your only options are accept, Byleth cant take any risks with her.

Said harsh side only manifests to those who oppose the Church.......which is what'll likely happen but declining to be a teacher =/= opposing the Church.

The real reason is that this game might end up being one of those games where your choices don't actually matter aside from what class you want to pick. Sounds a bit pessimistic, especially coming from me, but after Awakening and Fates doing that, i doubt IS would put actual meaningful choices in their games.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Said harsh side only manifests to those who oppose the Church.......which is what'll likely happen but declining to be a teacher =/= opposing the Church.

The real reason is that this game might end up being one of those games where your choices don't actually matter aside from what class you want to pick. Sounds a bit pessimistic, especially coming from me, but after Awakening and Fates doing that, i doubt IS would put actual meaningful choices in their games.

Declining could have consequences for the mercenary group, specially if its the offspring of the church's most reknown knight.

I dont mind choices dont having consequences as it still establishes how your character reacts which is good to me, besides the game is about becoming a teacher. If you decline it would just lead to a game over anyways so i dont know what people expected of that scene.

3 minutes ago, kratoscar2008 said:

Declining could have consequences for the mercenary group, specially if its the offspring of the church's most reknown knight.

The leader of said mercenary group is a former knight of the Church, which Rea knew personally if i read that right. So i don't think Byleth was forced into the role.

4 minutes ago, kratoscar2008 said:

I dont mind choices dont having consequences as it still establishes how your character reacts which is good to me, besides the game is about becoming a teacher. If you decline it would just lead to a game over anyways so i dont know what people expected of that scene.

There could've just not been a choice. Then again, it seems Byleth is silent so i guess having a "choice" in that scene was necessary but still.

44 minutes ago, kratoscar2008 said:

Persona, Growlanser, Dragon Quest, Devil Survivor, etcmanage to handle relationship esque mechanics well. Silent Protagonists have never been an issue when it comes to character interaction and we have already seen images of students asking Byleth things which allows us to make choices.

There is a reason why the avatars can support  everyone, most people care about who their pair their avatar with the most. I dont know why people think that pairing other characters are the most important.

Is it actual choices though? Your option to Rea's question was either 'yes' or 'yes'. Literally, the whole point of having a choice towards Rea's question is so that Byleth can be silent and just nod without it being awkward. 

Some games let you say 'no' only to have the person you're talking to forcing you to answer yes right afterwards. Obviously, we don't know how they'll handle Byleth as a silent protagonist but I worry that this is the direction the silent protagonist is going towards – an illusion of choice. What's the point of having choices when nothing you choose affects the storyline? 

Also, I think you misunderstood what I was saying regarding supports. I was wondering how supports with work with Byleth if he's silent without it being weird in the context of supports in Fire Emblem. (But also all literally all FE games have you 'pairing' characters with each other and an avatar only exists in 3 of these games so I'm not sure what your last point is supposed to mean).

Edited by zuibangde

28 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The leader of said mercenary group is a former knight of the Church, which Rea knew personally if i read that right. So i don't think Byleth was forced into the role.

There could've just not been a choice. Then again, it seems Byleth is silent so i guess having a "choice" in that scene was necessary but still.

That would still have consequences for any would be employee, thats like a music company declining to perform for the president, the president wont do anything but your business just took a hit in reputation.

Not all choices need consequences, you dont usually make choices that alter your life, most of your choices have no  other than how people perceive you. Thats what happens in most games as so in real life, if the supports work like Persona and there is a time limit then the consequences if your choices will impact on gameplay.

16 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

Is it actual choices though? Your option to Rea's question was either 'yes' or 'yes'. Literally, the whole point of having a choice towards Rea's question is so that Byleth can be silent and just nod without it being awkward. 

Some games let you say 'no' only to have the person you're talking to forcing you to answer yes. Obviously, we don't know how they'll handle Byleth as a silent protagonist but I worry that this is the direction the silent protagonist is going towards – an illusion of choice. What's the point of having choices when nothing you choose affects the storyline? 

Also, I think you misunderstood what I was saying regarding supports. I was wondering how supports with work with Byleth if he's silent without it being weird in the context of Fire Emblem.(But also all literally all FE games have you 'pairing' characters with each other and an avatar only exists in 3 of these games so I'm not sure what your last point is supposed to mean).

My last point is important since the avatar actually enhanced the support system and thats why Awakening and Fates are the best selling FEs around. Thats why its the avatar who gets all the supports, gets special CGs for his spouse and had his own room to interact with characterz. Nintendo knows thats what people like the most and thats where they will focus the Support system towards.

As for the first part sure its basically yes/yes but one choice depicts Byleth as sure or herself and the other she doesnt trust her abilities. The choice didnt had consequences but it let you characterize your Byleth. Its like in Awakening where the choices allowed you to portray Robin as either a tactician who sees things logically (Dont give the emblem to Gangrel to save many) or his feelings (Give the emblem to Gangrel since he wants to save Emmeryn). But he realistically couldnt do anything as he was cornered. 

These are games so they will never have the freedom to allow true choice but that doesnt means they can't  work with them in games. Many people love choices wether they matter or not as the illusion works for them (Like how people live world maps despite they having to reach from point a to b regardless, the illusion of choice is at work here).

Edited by kratoscar2008

I guess we're getting daily updates now? Neat. Rea definitely strikes me as a villain, which I hope she is! 

Nintendo of America haven't tweeted about either Jeralt or Rea for some reason. I'm not sure why they would stop. 

While that is true, but that was only one choice, we have no idea how it will be in the rest of the game. Again taking a look at the Persona games (or really any game with the whole silent avatar thing) always throws at you options which are sorta the same thing each now and then, which might sound cheap to some, but as long all of the game isn't like that, it should be okay.

Some games let you say 'no' only to have the person you're talking to forcing you to answer yes right afterwards. Obviously, we don't know how they'll handle Byleth as a silent protagonist but I worry that this is the direction the silent protagonist is going towards – an illusion of choice. What's the point of having choices when nothing you choose affects the storyline? 

I don't think the point of giving you choices is to make you feel like you could affect the story, but more like....to make the avatar have a closer personality to yours, again the Persona games does this, they give you stupid amount of dialogue options, and almost none of them truly "matter" but what it DOES do well is make you feel like the avatar is you. I can't speak for everyone but I would prefer for the avatar to have my personality than it looking like me.

Also, I think you misunderstood what I was saying regarding supports. I was wondering how supports with work with Byleth if he's silent without it being weird in the context of supports in Fire Emblem. (But also all literally all FE games have you 'pairing' characters with each other and an avatar only exists in 3 of these games so I'm not sure what your last point is supposed to mean).

Hmmmm....they can work, I hate bringing up Persona again, but whenever the avatar is bonding with a character in a Persona game, they would always get a lot of options to interact with said character, which normally bring out more of the character than the avatar himself, but it still could work, although it for sure would be something new to the series if they want that path.

Edited by Rose482

Hard to say how I feel about the silent protagonist. Even around the time of the second trailer, the three house leaders felt more like main characters to me than Byleth. They're much more prominent in the marketing compared to say, Ryoma and Xander, who only really highlighted in the cool cutscene shots and ended up not even joining you until the halfway point of the game. Story-wise, they were more important than the average character, but not much more than the other royal siblings and ultimately the plot still revolved around Corrin's decisions and character. Byleth's clearly going to have more story prominence than someone like Mark, but I'm hoping the three lords all have their own journey and character growth that can be juxtaposed well against a silent protagonist.

29 minutes ago, Dmys said:

Hard to say how I feel about the silent protagonist. Even around the time of the second trailer, the three house leaders felt more like main characters to me than Byleth.

Maybe thats the aim? I think it would be cool, really Byleth being silent will help other characters stand out and it would give much better replay value if the story is different as we see differents POV.

I mean i think thats why Persona cast is so popular as their MCs being silent makes the other characters having to carry the conversation give them more room to stand out.

Guest Lae
3 hours ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

Completely agree with you makes me more excited for it now(not just because Persona is one of my favorite series but taking a concept that work really well and possibly working well here with immersion I guess the SMT x FE crossover actually gave them an idea for this avatar!) just hope its done really well and we'll have something good going foward!

Yeah I can see some choices effecting things like support point(ie the heart in the Feb trailer with 1 or 2 arrows similar to say Persona 5s music notes which gives a certain amount based on how you answer and may also effect ones mood so you can further train up specific characters I feel these are likely things I can see happening.