Legendary Hero: Alm - Saint King

Jave

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There goes my orb stockpile. XD
I was mainly aiming for Hector, Roy and Marth, and did manage to get both Hector and Roy plus some other characters.

I am quite content with the rolls; Now to decided if I should invest any new orbs toward getting Marth, Picnic characters, or just save them for a later event. (choices, choices.)

On 4/26/2019 at 3:59 AM, Lau said:

He's only +1 at the moment, hahah. But, well, slow and steady wins the race?

I like to think no longer having a bane is a good thing.

It's a very therapeutic feeling.

Ugh. You know how I said I was just going to pull until I got 3 copies of Eirika and then figure things out after that? Well, I guess I'm going to have to figure things out because I'm less than 300 orbs in and have already gotten 3 copies of Eirika.

And one Leanne. And no Alm.

Yo, game, what the ever-loving fuck.

Legendary Alm is genuinely god-awful in terms of game design, outclassing basically every infantry archer in almost every area That being said, his stat spread and exclusive special give him a ton of interesting builds. Here are a few I theory-crafted.

Standard Brave Bow

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.932a1e34eb5987a70d7e48dee39afedb.png  

Offensive Archer

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5060f29b82c5bce32da95bfcbef9e612.pngimage.thumb.png.284cb07dce6a8589ff2a49d342a5eb62.pngimage.thumb.png.9b45cba1ef72089b4dd794f7daad5593.pngimage.thumb.png.7e32916211fb47d717e7a4fa70729082.png

Close Counter + Vantage

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1e01483df3829316961e142c6d4f70e8.pngimage.thumb.png.435ccea93a0699bf3c9eabd515442922.png

Edit: Have no idea how to stop the image from appearin below

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by FoxyGrandpa

1 hour ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Legendary Alm is genuinely god-awful in terms of game design, outclassing basically every infantry archer in almost every area

Making a unit that sucks to avoid outclassing every other unit in the class just because all of the other units in that class suck is an even worse decision in terms of game design.

I may be exaggerating about how much colorless infantry bows suck in this game, but they currently have no niche because any role they can take is done better by a different class.

Recent dagger units have similar offensive performance, but also have built-in debuffs that provide offensive support (and a huge range of effective damage options). Staves are better at dealing chip damage due to Pain+ being generally better and more easily accessible than Firesweep Bow+. Cavalry and flying bows do pretty much the same thing as infantry bows, but have better mobility and easier access to buffs (not to mention Summer Takumi has the exact same offensive stat spread as Bride Cordelia). Armored bows have access to Bold Fighter, making them superior in raw combat performance (Halloween Jakob has the same Atk as Bride Cordelia, but huge defenses, whereas Halloween Niles has 1 less Atk, but huge Spd and access to Special Fighter).

The only thing infantry bows have access to that infantry daggers and staves do not is a Brave weapon, and even then, other movement types use Brave Bow+ more effectively than infantry.

2 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Here are a few I theory-crafted.

The Brave Bow+ build should run Heavy Blade or Quickened Pulse in the Sacred Seal slot instead of Attack +3.

The Life and Death build should be running Atk/Spd 2 in the Sacred Seal slot if he has an Atk asset (Attack +3 is better for other assets).

Bonus Doubler is the optimal skill for the A slot with Atk/Spd Solo and Fury 4 next in line (yes, I know they're all premium skills). His default Darting Blow 4 (Attack +3 in the Sacred Seal slot) is actually almost indistinguishable from Life and Death (Atk/Spd 2 in the Sacred Seal slot) in terms of performance, so there's little value in switching. And actually, Fury 3 is better than Life and Death, too.

You can also run the Atk/Def and Spd/Def Sacred Seals on him for very little loss in performance if Atk/Spd is taken by another unit.

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Making a unit that sucks to avoid outclassing every other unit in the class just because all of the other units in that class suck is an even worse decision in terms of game design.

I may be exaggerating about how much colorless infantry bows suck in this game, but they currently have no niche because any role they can take is done better by a different class.

Recent dagger units have similar offensive performance, but also have built-in debuffs that provide offensive support (and a huge range of effective damage options). Staves are better at dealing chip damage due to Pain+ being generally better and more easily accessible than Firesweep Bow+. Cavalry and flying bows do pretty much the same thing as infantry bows, but have better mobility and easier access to buffs (not to mention Summer Takumi has the exact same offensive stat spread as Bride Cordelia). Armored bows have access to Bold Fighter, making them superior in raw combat performance (Halloween Jakob has the same Atk as Bride Cordelia, but huge defenses, whereas Halloween Niles has 1 less Atk, but huge Spd and access to Special Fighter).

The only thing infantry bows have access to that infantry daggers and staves do not is a Brave weapon, and even then, other movement types use Brave Bow+ more effectively than infantry.

I can agree with the first point but I don't necessarily agree with the 2nd point.

Currently, the most versatile infantry archers are Leon and Jamke - they can choose to run CC+Vantage or Brave Bow+ builds though this is mainly because they're the F2P-friendly archers with the highest Atk stats. They're also not Legendary units, meaning they can take advantage of stat boosts from blessings while a Legendary unit like Alm can't do the same thing unless the seasons line up in Aether Raids... which may not always happen. Their main role nowadays is to be a counter against Flier Ball defense teams in Aether Raids. While Spring Loki can fly, she doesn't hit as hard compared to Leon or Jamke. She may be faster than either of them but when facing off against flier balls, OHKOs are typically more important than getting the double. Archers of other movement types may be great as units but availability is an issue. And some of these units are colored, which is generally considered a downgrade compared to being colorless.

Heck, tank dagger units can use the debuffs for themselves - for most of them, it's a free +7 Atk and +7 Def/Res if they're running Atk Smoke.

12 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The Brave Bow+ build should run Heavy Blade or Quickened Pulse in the Sacred Seal slot instead of Attack +3.

The Life and Death build should be running Atk/Spd 2 in the Sacred Seal slot if he has an Atk asset (Attack +3 is better for other assets).

Bonus Doubler is the optimal skill for the A slot with Atk/Spd Solo and Fury 4 next in line (yes, I know they're all premium skills). His default Darting Blow 4 (Attack +3 in the Sacred Seal slot) is actually almost indistinguishable from Life and Death (Atk/Spd 2 in the Sacred Seal slot) in terms of performance, so there's little value in switching. And actually, Fury 3 is better than Life and Death, too.

You can also run the Atk/Def and Spd/Def Sacred Seals on him for very little loss in performance if Atk/Spd is taken by another unit.

I don't disagree with you that infantry archers generally are a weak class compared to Daggers and Stave units, and my points about him outclassing the entire archetype was a bit misguided. Really my main issue with L!Alm is his BST. Like, the dude already has both a prf and fantastic exclusive special. Does he really need gen 3 trainee BST for no real reason? If the devs deducted one point from every stat, his performance might be a bit worse, but he'd still be by far and away the best infantry archer and adhere to the gen 3 standards IS has established. I still find it to be bad overall game design, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Fair suggestions about the builds, was pretty tired when making them last night. Only point I might disagree with is running Fury over L&D. This video (around the 55:00 mark) explains why L&D is not worse than Fury.

3 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Really my main issue with L!Alm is his BST. Like, the dude already has both a prf and fantastic exclusive special. Does he really need gen 3 trainee BST for no real reason?

He doesn't have trainee stats. He has standard Gen 3 physical ranged infantry stats. Gen 3 boosted the stats for ranged physical units of all movement types because they were outclassed by ranged magical units.

3 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Fair suggestions about the builds, was pretty tired when making them last night. Only point I might disagree with is running Fury over L&D. This video (around the 55:00 mark) explains why L&D is not worse than Fury.

I'm actually running match-up numbers, not just theory crafting. The comparison between Fury and Life and Death is different for each unit based on their stat spreads, and what works better for one unit might not work better for another (though why you'd run Slaying Bow+ [Res] on Jamke, especially with Life and Death, is beyond me).

In Alm's case, he gets better performance out of Fury over Life and Death for the first round of combat.

47 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

He doesn't have trainee stats. He has standard Gen 3 physical ranged infantry stats. Gen 3 boosted the stats for ranged physical units of all movement types because they were outclassed by ranged magical units.

I'm actually running match-up numbers, not just theory crafting. The comparison between Fury and Life and Death is different for each unit based on their stat spreads, and what works better for one unit might not work better for another (though why you'd run Slaying Bow+ [Res] on Jamke, especially with Life and Death, is beyond me).

In Alm's case, he gets better performance out of Fury over Life and Death for the first round of combat.

That... actually explains quite a bit. I was wondering why Palla and Loki had boosted BST, yet Veronica didn't during the spring banner.

So, just to clarify, in comparison to gen 2, gen 3...

• Melee infantry have plus +5 BST
  • Staff and Tome Infantry have + 5 BST
  • Dagger and Bow Infantry have +10 BST
  • Melee Fliers have + 0 BST
  • Staff and Tome Fliers have + 0 BST
  • Dagger and Bow Fliers have +5 BST
  • Melee Calvary have + 0 BST
  • Staff and Tome Calvary have + 0 BST
  • Dagger and Bow Calvary have +5 BST
  • Melee Armored have + 0 BST
  • Staff and Tome Armored have + 0 BST
  • Dagger and Bow Armored have +5 BST

Also, Jamke  was running the res refine to survive the first engagement against Dragon enemies.

Edited by FoxyGrandpa

So, just to clarify, in comparison to gen 2, gen 3...

To be completely accurate:

• Melee, tome, and staff infantry have +1 base stat and +10% growth rate.
  • Dagger and bow infantry have +2 base stat and +20% growth rate.
  • Melee, tome and staff non-infantry have +0 base stat and +0% growth rate.
  • Dagger and bow non-infantry have +1 base stat and +10% growth rate.

Or alternatively:

• Infantry have +1 base stat and +10% growth rate.
  • Daggers and bows have +1 base stat and +10% growth rate (stacks with infantry modifier).

+10% growth rate is equal to 4~5 points at level 40. +20% growth rate is equal to 8~10 points at level 40.

Also, Jamke  was running the res refine to survive the first engagement against Dragon enemies.

55 magic bulk at +0 merge is an extremely uncomfortable place to be right now. +0 Grima and Duma, for example, have 56 neutral Atk before passive skills and buffs. +0 Myrrh has 54 neutral Atk, and +0 Tiki has 54 neutral Atk with her default Fierce Breath.

I'm of the opinion that Jamke's defenses are too lopsided to use reliably against dragons, especially since colorless units without access to exceptionally powerful weapons (Lyfjaberg, Fell Breath, Cloud Maiougi, etc.) now also lack the brute strength to reliably break through bulkier opponents, which includes most dragons.

This banner can go fuck itself, go straight to hell, not pass go, and not collect $200.

302 pulls. 5 Alm. 6 Eirika. 6 Leanne. 1 Ephraim. 1 Nailah.

An utterly abysmal 6.3% 5-star rate. That's lower than the expected rate from a normal 4-character banner (which should hover around 6.5% on average).

On 4/28/2019 at 1:55 AM, FoxyGrandpa said:

Standard Brave Bow

There are two standard types of Brave builds: quad/fast Brave and slow Brave.

Since you are running Desperation, I assume you are going for the quad Brave build:
+Atk or +Spd (+Atk is generally, but not always, better)
Brave Bow
Reposition
Luna
(Any A that boosts Atk/Spd)
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow — Brazen Atk/Def — Brazen Atk/Res

Slow Brave is built differently, and it focuses on killing things in two hits:
+Atk
Reposition
Moonbow — Luna (with Special Spiral or Desperation-Brash Assult)
Death Blow
(Any B) — Chill Def — Special Spiral — Desperation
(Any C)
Heavy Blade — Quickened Pulse — Attack +3 (with Moonbow-Special Spiral) — Brash Assault

Offensive Archer

For Player Phase archers, the only bows worth inheriting are Firesweep Bow and Brave Bow. Firesweep Bow is the best Firesweep Weapon due to it being ranged and the unit having access to Reposition; melee Firesweep users lack range and Pain healers lack Reposition. Brave Bow is the best bow for killing things by a huge mile; Cocobow comes second for first round performance, while Slaying Bow comes second once in Desperation range. With how easy it is to obtain Brave Bow, there is no reason to ever run Slaying Bow on any Player Phase archer.

However, similar to GA!Lucina, there is no reason for SK!Alm to even inherit Brave Bow since his exclusive Weapon is superior in terms of damage output. This leaves Firesweep Bow as the only other viable option.

On 4/28/2019 at 5:12 PM, FoxyGrandpa said:

This is not towards you, but more towards the YouTuber. To me, it seems like he does not understand how Fury works or why people go for Fury. First of all, Fury's recoil is not lethal, so it cannot kill you. Second, the reason to go for Fury is because the recoil is beneficial, as it allows the unit to get into Desperation range easier.

The Res Refinement is also kind of pointless since it does not really do anything for Jamke once he is in Desperation range, and as @Ice Dragon has said, you do not want to set up archers' Desperation using dragons anyways due to how hard they hit, and with Steady Stance 4 and Distant Def 4 being a thing, a lot of bulky dragons can also withstand being quaded by Brave Bows even if the archer has Desperation set up.

And his Brave Bow build for Jamke is... unique. Without Desperation, it lacks the sustainability of a regular quad Brave archer. Jamke also does not have the Spd to properly run a quad Brave build in my opinion, so Jamke is better off running a slow Brave build to emulate Reinhardt. If he really wants Jamke to be a quad archer, Jamke can use Desperation-Brash Assault, although setting that up might be difficult outside of Aether Raids without Bolt Traps.

Close Counter + Vantage

I recommend Brazen Atk/Def or Brazen Atk/Res for his Sacred Seal. Savage Blow's area damage might not reach all the fliers in the flier ball and that damage could be healed up by a Healing Tower (D), so Brazen's Atk+7 is a more reliable source of damage.

Edited by XRay

I've been pity broken and my orbs are almost gone. The Alm dream is dead . NOOOOOO!!!

On the other hand I've been pity broken by Nailah who I was gunning for as my consolation price. So between my Wolf lady and my two brave pulls I'd say this was a pretty successful run for me.