Baldo’s Turnwheel (short scene)

Alastor15243

Hey, so, thinking about the new turnwheel gameplay feature, which seems to be here to stay, has gotten me thinking about how it might impact future games and remakes. And as that happened, I suddenly visualized this scene. Feedback’s welcome, and I hope you enjoy!

Baldo’s Turnwheel: a hypothetical scene from Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Jugdral

(Seliph has just seized the first castle of chapter 6. He has just met Lewyn, and Julia has just joined the party.)

Lewyn: Oh yeah. One more thing, Seliph.

Seliph: Yes?

Lewyn: This is for you.

(The screen shifts to image of Baldo’s Turnwheel)

Lewyn: It belonged to your father. They call it “Baldo’s Turnwheel”. It’s a powerful holy artifact that’s been passed down the Chalphy line for generations, since the time of the first holy war.

Seliph: ...M-my father? Truly!?

Lewyn: Yep. Go on. Open it.

(The turnwheel opens, revealing a glowing glass)

Seliph: I-incredible...

Lewyn: It’s not just a light show, Seliph. It’s been blessed by the gods, and recieves visions from them. It has the power to see the future, and to warn the holder of dangers yet to come.

Seliph: ...Truly? It’s... that powerful?

(Cut back to the castle)

Lewyn: Keep that thing with you, as close as you keep your sword. Your father used it countless times, and every time it saved him and his friends from certain doom. And if we’re going to have any hope of saving Jugdral, Gods know we’ll need all the help we can get.

Seliph: ...My father had this? What happened to it?

Lewyn: Hm?

Seliph: Why didn’t he have it with him when he died? Was it stolen from him? ...No, then the turnwheel would have warned him that would happen...

Lewyn: Uh...

Seliph: Oh! Did you get it from Shannan? Did Sigurd give it to him and Oifaye to keep them safe when they had to leave for Isaac with me?

Lewyn: He, uh... ...No, Seliph. He... had it with him to his dying breath. Arvis took it from his body and kept it as a trophy. You wouldn’t believe what I had to go through to get that thing back. Use it well. Don’t let me down.

Seliph: ...He... had it? All along? Why didn’t... Why didn’t it warn him?

Lewyn: The gods won’t warn you of everything, Seliph. You need to understand that, right off the bat. Some things can’t be changed. Some things are just... destined to happen.

Seliph: ... (closes eyes)

Seliph: I see. Thank you, friend. That’s all I needed to hear.

(screen goes black)

Shing!

Lewyn: ...! Wha...! No, DON’T!

Smash!

(Still image of Seliph smashing the glass screen of the turnwheel with the pommel of his blade, a stern and determined look on his face)

Lewyn: ...

Seliph: ...There. That should do it.

Lewyn: ...KID! WHAT THE HELL!?

Seliph: Remind me again, sir, why we’re fighting?

Lewyn: ...!? What are you...!? You just... 

Seliph: We’re fighting to save the entire continent of Jugdral. To end Arvis’s reign of terror, and to avenge my family, and the family of my friends. Good people, proud and brave and noble people, who died in agony and disgrace, drowning in a pit of fire, choking on their own MELTING THROATS, because apparently that was their “destiny”.

Seliph: Lewyn... what’s MY destiny? Is it to succeed where my father failed? Or is it to die like a fool, at the crest of that next hill, struck through the heart by an arrow that wasn’t even aimed at me? ...Do you have any idea?

Seliph: I certainly don’t. But I will tell you one thing: I no longer care what my destiny is. And I certainly won’t be following any divine instructions to get to it. I have a countinent to save, Lewyn, and damn destiny if it has other plans. My friends and I are all orphans, raised in a living hell for more than a decade, because whatever god was whispering to my father from that amulet WANTED us to be. My father put his faith in that wretched thing, and it cost him his home, his family, his friends, his reputation, his dignity, and his life! He trusted the gods, and they repaid him and his friends with safe passage to the slaughterhouse, to be roasted like pigs! And all I have is a hope, not even the gods’ word, mind, but just a baseless HOPE... that they’ll treat me better this time.

Seliph: Thank you, Lewyn, but I won’t be needing this. And neither will anyone else. I won’t be placing my trust in gods who’ve done less than nothing to earn it. I have plenty else to trust. My heart... my wits... my blade... and my friends. Either all of that is enough, or it isn’t. But right now those wits are telling me I need to learn from my father’s mistakes. Now if you’ll excuse me, Lewyn... I have a rebel army to lead.

(Seliph leaves)

Lewyn: ...Heh. Hehehe... hahahahahah... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Whoo... oh wow... Sigurd... are you watching this? Your kid... he’s something alright. ...Bold move, kid. Let’s see how it plays out.

Edited by Alastor15243

Maybe I shouldn't be commenting if I haven't played enough of FE4. But it is very interesting that you introduced a turnwheel and then had it destroyed, that was unexpected. If this was an actual game, I have a feeling reactions would be mixed. Some people would be sad to lose a useful feature. Some people would like the twist. I would be both.

16 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Maybe I shouldn't be commenting if I haven't played enough of FE4. But it is very interesting that you introduced a turnwheel and then had it destroyed, that was unexpected. If this was an actual game, I have a feeling reactions would be mixed. Some people would be sad to lose a useful feature. Some people would like the twist. I would be both.

I was mostly thinking about the story implications of adding the turnwheel to FE4, and how Seliph would react to being given an artifact that's supposed to warn you of danger but which let the horrible events of FE4 Gen 1 happen. I came to the conclusion that Seliph couldn't possibly feel comfortable using or trusting such an object after how horribly things ended for his father, and ran with it.

Edited by Alastor15243

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I was mostly thinking about the story implications of adding the turnwheel to FE4, and how Seliph would react to being given an artifact that's supposed to warn you of danger but which let the horrible events of FE4 Gen 1 happen. I came to the conclusion that Seliph couldn't possibly feel comfortable using or trusting such an object after how horribly things ended for his father, and ran with it.

Well, it certainly worked! Maybe the turnwheel exists for Gen 1 but not Gen 2? Although it may be cruel to get players used to it, particularly new players, and then take it away from them.