Short video of Byleth meeting Sothis

Thane

Here it is: 

I'm...very confused by one part of what Sothis is saying so I doubt my translation would be of much use. The transcript goes as follows:

いや、良い。おぬしごとには、己が命のまことの値打ちなぞわからぬじゃろう。まったく。。。わしがおぬしを導いてやらねば、な!

Actual translation thanks to NekoKnight: Fine. A lesser being like you wouldn't understand the true value of your life, right? Honestly...Well, I'll just have to lead you myself!

Edited by Thane

Okay, she's a Nyx rather than a Nowi, which is good news afaic. This is based on her tone and demeanor, can't help you with the translation. I seem to recognize wording typically used by very haughty characters, though.

Which is obvious I suppose, but eh

Edited by Cysx

13 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Okay, she's a Nyx rather a Nowi, which is good news afaic. This is based on her tone and demeanor though, can't help you with the translation. I seem to recognize wording typically used by very haughty characters, though.

She speaks in an archaic way. She uses washi for herself, which is often associated with older characters, and onushi when speaking to Byleth. She also conjugates her verbs a bit differently; for example, when conjugating a verb in the negative, she uses nu instead of the more common nai. She speaks kind of like Sanaki, I believe, although I've not checked the Japanese version of the Tellius games much.

My translation is non-sensical and I'd rather wait until someone who speaks better Japanese than I do takes a look at it. What I get is more or less "Well, fine. Like you, I don't understand the mysteries of life's true worth. Good grief...I will guide you from now on" [the last part is officially translated to "well it's up to me to guide you from now on, right?].

So it's a total non sequitur. 己 can mean "you" as well as "I", so it's possible she says "you really don't get the true mysteries of life", but then it doesn't match with the first thing she says. Or I've just misunderstood the whole phrase. 

Exasperating, but I'll hopefully learn something from this when a proper translation is out.

Edited by Thane

6 minutes ago, Thane said:

She speaks in an archaic way. She uses washi for herself, which is often associated with older characters, and onushi when speaking to Byleth. She also conjugates her verbs a bit differently; for example, when conjugating a verb in the negative, she uses nu instead of the more common nai. She speaks kind of like Sanaki, I believe, although I've not checked the Japanese version of the Tellius games much.

My translation is non-sensical and I'd rather wait until someone who speaks better Japanese than I do takes a look at it. What I get is more or less "Well, fine. Like you, I don't understand the mysteries of life's true worth. Good grief...I will guide you from now on" [the last part is officially translated to "well it's up to me to guide you from now on, right?].

So it's a total non sequitur. 己 can mean "you" too, so it's possible she says "you really don't get the true mysteries of life", but then it doesn't match with the first thing she says. Or I've just misunderstood the whole phrase. 

Exasperating, but I'll hopefully learn something from this when a proper translation is out.

That's already quite helpful to be honest, thanks for posting this. How did you even run into it though? It doesn't seem to appear on their main site...

3 minutes ago, SushiCat said:

Once again Byleth doesn't talk, or maybe they always cut things off right before he does.

He straight up reminds me of Link in this one. If he can speak, he's certainly overreacting here, but mute characters do have to emote a lot more.

5 minutes ago, Thane said:

Someone posted it on Reddit, actually. Maybe I should've said that in the OP.

Oh, whoops, should have checked Reddit.

34 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Okay, she's a Nyx rather than a Nowi, which is good news afaic. This is based on her tone and demeanor, can't help you with the translation. I seem to recognize wording typically used by very haughty characters, though.

Which is obvious I suppose, but eh

Yeah. She is a lolibaba who unlike the typical loli they are knowledgeable but their body remains childlike.

I read VNs so I have come across a few of them.

21 minutes ago, SushiCat said:

Once again Byleth doesn't talk, or maybe they always cut things off right before he does.

Would be strange if he wasnt one after all this time of him not saying anything. Fine by me.

1 hour ago, Cysx said:

He straight up reminds me of Link in this one. If he can speak, he's certainly overreacting here, but mute characters do have to emote a lot more.

I absolutely love Link and the LoZ saga but I have to say I'm not entirely sure that making a silent protagonist is a good idea for FE. It will probably make it harder for them to flesh the character out, which has been pointed as a major flaw in previous avatars, and the support system would need to be revamped too. This is frankly the only thing that I'm not liking about the game (if it turns out to be true anyway).

Edited by SushiCat

Actual translation courtesy of @NekoKnight: Fine. A lesser being like you wouldn't understand the true value of your life, right? Honestly...Well, I'll just have to lead you myself!

Turns out archaic Japanese is pretty confusing. Oh well, practice makes perfect. 

(I'd like to point out that I might be wrong too but until someone smarter comes into the room, I'll pretend it's 100% accurate.)

It's kind of interesting how Sothis has a patronizing tone in her speech, not maliciously so, but clearly she is an existance far above mortals like our protagonist. I'm curious to know what she's suggesting by Byleth not understanding the true value of his life. Could it mean that he is a special individual with more value than he's aware of, or could it simply mean that Byleth is too eager to sacrifice his life to save Edelgard from Kostas?

Archaic Japanese and ambiguous pronouns are the enemy of translators.  

Edited by NekoKnight

1 hour ago, SushiCat said:

I absolutely love Link and the LoZ saga but I have to say I'm not entirely sure that making a silent protagonist is a good idea for FE. It will probably make it harder for them to flesh the character out, which has been pointed as a major flaw in previous avatars, and the support system would need to be revamped too. This is frankly the only thing that I'm not liking about the game (if it turns out to be true anyway).

That could certainly pose a few problems with the FE formula, and I'm definitely curious about supports specifically as well. But at the same time, that should also limit how hated the character can be. We could do with people in this community being more accepting of avatars(since the chance of them going away seem extremely slim) than they currently are, and that's one way for that to be accomplished.

31 minutes ago, Thane said:

Actual translation courtesy of @NekoKnight: Fine. A lesser being like you wouldn't understand the true value of your life, right? Honestly...Well, I'll just have to lead you myself!

Turns out archaic Japanese is pretty confusing. Oh well, practice makes perfect. 

I'll assume she's saying that as a reaction to Byleth throwing his back directly into the blade of an axe... which would make it warranted. If you forget the "lesser being" part.

Edited by Cysx

16 minutes ago, Cysx said:

I'll assume she's saying that as a reaction to Byleth throwing his back directly into the blade of an axe... which would make it warranted. If you forget the "lesser being" part.

Yeah. Hasn't it been more or less confirmed that they meet "properly" for the first time when Byleth gets hit by an axe trying to protect someone (Edelgard?)? Before that Byleth only dreamed of her.

"Lesser being" is a bit harsh but it's to convey the tone of the pronoun Sothis uses. Chances are this nuance gets either removed or just expressed in a different way. I personally omit it when we don't really know the full context.

17 minutes ago, Thane said:

Yeah. Hasn't it been more or less confirmed that they meet "properly" for the first time when Byleth gets hit by an axe trying to protect someone (Edelgard?)? Before that Byleth only dreamed of her.

"Lesser being" is a bit harsh but it's to convey the tone of the pronoun Sothis uses. Chances are this nuance gets either removed or just expressed in a different way. I personally omit it when we don't really know the full context.

My guess is that it'd be localised as 'mortal' or 'human'. Sothis clearly isn't using it maliciously or to demean Byleth, but just as a casual statement of fact.

I really like that she is seemingly harsh/a bit sassy. I was worried she would be the typical dragon loli but thankfully she seems to be more along the lines of Nyx or even Midna from TLoZ Twilight princess. Hopefully this personality persists when we see more of her and in the English localisation.

12 hours ago, Thane said:

Honestly...Well, I'll just have to lead you myself!

In an unexpected twist, Sothis ended being the true avatar.

Now seriously, her demeanor kinda gives me hope towards the tone of the game, I hope she keeps this vibe and doesn't change her personality every now and then like Nowi did.

2 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

In an unexpected twist, Sothis ended being the true avatar.

Now seriously, her demeanor kinda gives me hope towards the tone of the game, I hope she keeps this vibe and doesn't change her personality every now and then like Nowi did.

She might have some Tiki style sleep gags.

9 hours ago, ΔZZ said:

I really like that she is seemingly harsh/a bit sassy. I was worried she would be the typical dragon loli but thankfully she seems to be more along the lines of Nyx or even Midna from TLoZ Twilight princess. Hopefully this personality persists when we see more of her and in the English localisation.

Well, from what little we've heard of her in English so far, I feel like she'll be plenty sassy. :)

These cutscenes are made using the in-game character models, right? They look pretty impressive.

Also, since we first got a clip of the two Byleths, then Sothis, I wonder if we'll get short clips of the house leaders in the next few days.

The thing that confuses me about silent Byleth is 'How will the supports work?' I mean, he can't just stare silently at someone while they wax on about their life to him, can he? Surely, even if he doesn't talk in cutscenes,  he has to talk in conversations? Unless we're going full Persona, which I don't know how I'd feel about.

14 minutes ago, Calico said:

Also, since we first got a clip of the two Byleths, then Sothis, I wonder if we'll get short clips of the house leaders in the next few days.

Hopefully we do. On May 10th, FE Heroes will add some new characters and if they are from Three Houses, they'll want to tell us more about them beforehand.