Sonic the Hedgehog-The Movie Trailer

Dai

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Reminds me of the realistic Sonic made by God of War 4’s artist. Except this is just the face.

mp98ihy2jh921.jpg

That doesn’t look half bad.

5 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I felt about ten shades of uncomfortable watching this trailer.

This here, basically. Imo, Sonic translates as badly into live action as Pokemon. He looks creepy as hell.

Also, why are he and Eggman/Robotnik the only actual Sonic characters appearing in this? I thought Tails, Amy, and others would be there too. Tails is Sonic's best friend and sidekick, isn't he? Why is he without him?

Well, I don't play Sonic games anyway. I do kinda like Tails though (and Shadow, but I didn't expect to see him), so I thought I'd give this trailer a look...only to not see him.

This just feels like you could literally replace Sonic and Eggman/Robotnik with any other hero/villain combination and nothing would change. It does not feel like enough Sonic to me.

Also, this thread should be in Entertainment. It's not a game.

Edited by Anacybele

'Tis a thing of beauty. Let us not forget this landmark moment for the Sonic franchise.

===

It's less bad than I thought, to be fair. I liked Detective Pikachu's take on Pokemon but I'm not sure if I can get past this.

Edit: Just watched it and wtf did I just watch? I'm totally gonna see this, it seems like it will be hilarious.

Sonic is very obviously CG compared to his environment, which just makes him look weirder.

Edited by snowyglacier

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

This here, basically. Imo, Sonic translates as badly into live action as Pokemon. He looks creepy as hell.

Also, why are he and Eggman/Robotnik the only actual Sonic characters appearing in this? I thought Tails, Amy, and others would be there too. Tails is Sonic's best friend and sidekick, isn't he? Why is he without him?

Well, I don't play Sonic games anyway. I do kinda like Tails though, so I thought I'd give this trailer a look...only to not see him.

To be honest some of the live-action Pokémon look way better.

Obviously they're saving Sonic's friends for the sequel, just like in the games

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

To be honest some of the live-action Pokémon look way better.

I don't think any of the Pokemon look good, personally. Except for maybe Pikachu, he looks okay.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also, this thread should be in Entertainment. It's not a game.

I was going to argue the Detective Pikachu thread in the Pokémon subforum, when I realized that it’s more of a general Pokémon thread.

I’m just going to assume more people would look for a Sonic thread here than in Entertainment.

I feel like this move is a lost relic from the mid 90's dug up and polished for 2019

kind of glad I'm not a parent who has a kid who wants to go see this

can't wait for the meme formats that will rise

5 minutes ago, Dai said:

I was going to argue the Detective Pikachu thread in the Pokémon subforum, when I realized that it’s more of a general Pokémon thread.

I’m just going to assume more people would look for a Sonic thread here than in Entertainment.

I pointed out in the Detective Pikachu thread that it should've been in Entertainment too. I'm just going by what each of the boards allow. General Gaming obviously is for video games. Entertainment is for forms of entertainment that aren't video games, such as movies. Detective Pikachu's movie and the Sonic movie are movies, not games, despite being based on games. A movie is a movie even if it's based on a game, so... I feel Entertainment is the most appropriate forum for them.

I also asked eclipse in the Detective Pikachu thread, and she was like "it could go either way, and I'm lazy." I can't really agree on that first bit, but I'm not a mod, so...

2 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

can't wait for the meme formats that will rise

I predict, "No, but thank you for asking."

e.g.: Teacher: Did you do your homework?

Me: "No, but thank you for asking."

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I pointed out in the Detective Pikachu thread that it should've been in Entertainment too. I'm just going by what each of the boards allow. General Gaming obviously is for video games. Entertainment is for forms of entertainment that aren't video games, such as movies. Detective Pikachu's movie and the Sonic movie are movies, not games, despite being based on games. A movie is a movie even if it's based on a game, so... I feel Entertainment is the most appropriate forum for them.

I also asked eclipse in the Detective Pikachu thread, and she was like "it could go either way, and I'm lazy." I can't really agree on that first bit, but I'm not a mod, so...

I think it's just easier to expect a thread on said franchise to be in a forum befitting the franchise. Sonic fits more with videogames, so I think it's just easier to expect them to come here than there.

7 minutes ago, Dai said:

I think it's just easier to expect a thread on said franchise to be in a forum befitting the franchise. Sonic fits more with videogames, so I think it's just easier to expect them to come here than there.

Doesn't matter. A movie is a movie, like I said. This is a Sonic movie, not a video game.

I'm sorry if I sound really annoyed at this. I'm mildly annoyed, I will admit. But it's mainly due to one of my biggest forum pet peeves being when mods call out one member for rule breaking all the time, but let others get away with it (no matter what rules are being broken). Nobody should be getting away with breaking the rules. Same goes for threads that get put in the wrong place. If a mod simply isn't there to see what's going on yet, someone's gotta report it/let them know. All I ask is for consistency in modding here, I have nothing against you or anybody else in this thread. I'm also not asking mods to be eyeing this place 24/7, I know they have lives of their own. Just get to it when ya can, ya know? :P Also, I'm pretty sure nobody's gonna post about Spiderman games in the Entertainment board just because Spiderman is originally a movie/comic/cartoon. So why should the reverse be acceptable?

If eclipse or nobody else wants to move these threads though, well, I can't make them. I'm just putting out my opinion.

Edited by Anacybele

It's kind of amazing how this design for Sonic looks so bad from the back but so passable (?) from the front. I still draw the line at Sonic's white fur taking the place of actual gloves. Like imagine if Sonic's shoes were replaced with red feet. It's an unnecesary and gross looking change. The "gotta go fast" line should not be said by Sonic. My bet would be the human sidekick character winking and saying that to Sonic to cap off the trailer. I totally should have made the bet that Sonic would own a retro 80s music player not unlike Peter Quill's Walkman, this is becoming a trope. What an obvious bet and I feel so blindsided by Sonic's cassette tape player. Music Choice is "Gangster's Paradise" and oh my god no. I had to pause the video and throw up my hands because that song didn't have a good reputation even when it released. On the other hand I'm very glad they chose something from the 90s rather than the 80s like most pop songs in hollywood trailers these days, since Sonic was born in 1991. He's pretty much the quintessential 90s kid. Eggman is...okay? It feels like a very Ace Ventura performance, and if the goal is to invoke more 90s nostalgia I guess it's a good call. Eggman was never a very serious character. And now he can make meta references to other Jim Carrey films.

Look this isn't a good trailer, but I think it's good for the movie that it's finally passed the uncomfortable era of bad concept art appearing online. And who knows, maybe the next trailer will be better. But this is not a Sonic I wanna hang out with.

Also! I call that scene of Eggman in what looks like Sauteed Mushroom Hill Zone to be at the end of the movie. He's been transported to Sonic's home planet after losing horribly to him, now swearing revenge, with the scene serving a sort of "and the adventure continues" sort of thing.

1 minute ago, Dai said:

Also! I call that scene of Eggman in what looks like Sauteed Mushroom Hill Zone to be at the end of the movie. He's been transported to Sonic's home planet after losing horribly to him, now swearing revenge, with the scene serving a sort of "and the adventure continues" sort of thing.

that's a scary thought

NuaRwzV.jpg