Least favorite boss fights

Armagon

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Fuck, i can't believe i forgot this one

Hades' Heart (Kid Icarus: Uprising): OHHHHHHH BOY, this boss. Very fast, always ramming into you, the layout of the boss room is ass so you can hardly attack it without going in front of the boss.......which results in it ramming into you multiple times (because if it misses, it comes back for round 2, 3 and 4). One day, i'll complete Ch.23 on the highest difficulty.

DANG, I forgot about this guy! And here I said I liked pretty much all bosses in Uprising. NOT this guy though, screw this boss.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, redlight said:

In recent memory, Melt and Shiki from CCC collaboration event in FGO. Melt is bulky AND is constantly buffing her attack. Shiki has a short cooldown special attack that has a chance to kill a party member. She could also charge it faster. Needed to have taunts for that. And that tank might just die instantly from the death debuff. And once you break her first bar of health she changes into a different form that has a AoE special attack with a slightly longer CD than her previous one, but can inflict death on your party. Less than the single target's chance, but now she uses a buff that boosts damage, pierces any kind of damage negating buff like invincibility/avoid AND decreases death resist chance for party members. That's enough to kill an entire row of your party most of the time with her buff active.

Watch until you met Qin Shi Huang

....he isnt even hard but if you got BS'd by him.... you got BS'd by him

Anyway

All Etrian Oddysey superboss besides Star Devourer. The problem is they all move in a very predictable pattern that if you got wrong it instantly fucking kills you. The worst of these is without a doubt Nexus one who not only have this, EXTREME amount of HP Bloats but also have a skill that bypass your primary physical answer and forces you to stay at 5 buff+debuff total unless you want to get buffwiped

Buffwipe mechanic is as old as at least EO Untold Primevil but that one was in form of thereshold nuke allowing the players to have MANY possible answer to them. Nexus superboss does it every fucking turn

The resulting fight against every EO superboss is a very boring have Protector + 1 invalidate the boss sad miserable existence while your dps do whatever the fuck they want - a thing extremely notable in Untold where its not just possible, the best strategy is to have 1 HP Dark Hunter and 1 HP Dark Hunter Alter Classer with double Wrath Might pounding at them for free. 

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

Every Mecha Fight in Cold Steel 1/2

One of my bigger gripes with Cold Steel. I may be in the minority, but i love love LOVE the normal Trails battle system, from it's different attack types, to AT manipulation, to positioning and etc...

Then Mecha battles come and throw everything out the window and you're stuck with overgrown Pokemon Battles that have 300k HP instead of 300. Not to mention until CS2 endgame, you're stuck with 1 Mecha, even when allies use Mechas, you can't use them, you can only watch them in a cutscene while you are stuck with same old one.

One of Falcom's worst additions to any game they did.

Edited by Shrimperor

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

One of my bigger gripes with Cold Steel. I may be in the minority, but i love love LOVE the normal Trails battle system, from it's different attack types, to AT manipulation, to positioning and etc...

Then Mecha battles come and throw everything out the window and you're stuck with overgrown Pokemon Battles that have 300k HP instead of 300. Not to mention until CS2 endgame, you're stuck with 1 Mecha, even when allies use Mechas, you can't use them, you can only watch them in a cutscene while you are stuck with same old one.

I think the Divine Knight battles in Cold Steel 1/2 were like, experimental. Because from what i've seen from Cold Steel 3 and 4, Divine Knight battles are expanded and most fights have you control at two to three mechs that use the fighting style of whoever's the pilot. Though i haven't actually played them so i can't actually say with certainty that Cold Steel 3 and 4's Divine Knight battles are better than Cold Steel 1 and 2's.

Buuuuuut i kinda agree with you regarding Divine Knight battles in the first two games (well, mainly the second one because there's only two of those battles in the first game). I think i made a mistake in expecting Divine Knight battles to have the depth of the Xeno series' mech battles. Cause what can you really do with Valimar? There's barely any customization for him, the secondary contractors don't really have much of a presence in the battle, it's damn near impossible to lose these fights because you can recover most of your HP with a snap of your fingers. Ordine at the end of Cold Steel 1 gave me a bit of trouble but none of the Divine Knight battles in Cold Steel 2 even came close to getting the better of me.

All that said, i do enjoy them a bit since i have a thing for mechs. And Divine Knight battles end pretty quickly too so it's not like i go "aw shit, here we go again" every time it's time for one.

I can't believe I forgot about that Fire Emblem Gaiden - Chapter 3 Bow Knight

A Bow Knight supported by two Paladins is one of the possible reinforcements that can spawn on Alm's route. Normally reinforcements aren't much of a problem when fought on their own, but this guy is a different story. It's a tier 3 unit that you may have to fight while you are still firmly in tier 1. As a Bow Knight he has 5 range and 8 Movement. And since Alm Chapter 3 is filled with forests, he pretty much can always attack from cover. Approaching this guy, let alone surround him is rough. As a Tier 3 he hits pretty damn hard and you're only source of healing at that point is Silk, who has to keep her distance due to that whole "5 range" thing. So you're units generally can't survive being anywhere near this guy for very long.

His counterpart in Echoes is a lot easier to deal with. The remake has increased experience gain, improved growths, Bow Knights no longer have auto 5 range, supports, forging, provisions, more weapons and items, Faye and Combat Arts. So needless to say, he is no longer anywhere close to being as troublesome.

Edited by BrightBow

On 5/2/2019 at 12:47 AM, Glennstavos said:

Nice to see another savant of this game! Yes, part of what bugs me about the design of dragoon forms and how boss designs try to counter it is how the developers seem to have vastly over-estimated how powerful it is, despite the inability to guard, use an item to heal, or revert to human form early to do any of these things. Not only can you get through the game without ever using a dragoon form, it almost feels like the ideal way to play since you have more options and can progress your character by working on combat additions and SP gain.

In all fairness its.... well founded

LOD's Dragoon is actually one of the most broken Limit Break mechanics in PSX era RPG if used properly - not only to gives you access to extremely powerful magic attacks, it also multiplies your stats. Its been shown off that its not just possible - its also VERY easy to have say Meru stocked up to 1-4(depending on HP relative to damage cap of 9999) shot every single bossfight from second disc onwards, doing damage cap within reasonable timeframe

Hell, Dragoon is so stupid that iirc there have been video of one shotting Divine Dragon through Dragon Block Staff with Meru

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

On 2019-05-03 at 12:43 PM, BrightBow said:

I find it strange seeing the Black Knight mentioned so often. I mean, yeah, sure the luck thing is not great. I just find it strange that someone would pick him over Ashnard. You don't actually have to defeat the Black Knight, so you can just go with whatever outcome you get. Ashnard on the other hand is obligatory. So if Ike got sufficiently stat screwed, then you're just stuck there.

I can't comprehend how they were smart enough to allow you to escape from the Black Knight battle in case Ike couldn't possible win, but then two maps later they force you to use him to beat an even stronger boss. If Ike couldn't survive against the Black Knight, he won't be able to take on Ashnard either.

With Ashnard, you also have Ena/Nasir and a Royal Laguz who can damage Ashnard if Ike is stat-screwed. With Black Knight, you only have Ike, and you only have a limited number of turns. I agree though that the Black Knight is far from the worst boss fight. 

I have another least favourite boss fight:

• Morpheel (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess). This thing is a really cool boss visually; seeming at first like Morpha before revealing what it really is. But, apart from the cool visuals, this boss is rather... dull. In its first phase, you can just stand there and wait for the eye to appear in the nearest tentacle, clawshot the eye, and hit it. Repeat and the boss will enter phase 2. It won't even attack you unless you get too close. Then, in phase 2, it's even more disappointing; it emerges from the ground; revealing its true form as a gigantic eel-like monster that almost could have come out of Shadow of the Colossus, and you have to beat it by swimming above it and using the clawshot to get to its eye. Great. The problem: it just swims around almost randomly. This thing does not care about you at all unless you are right in front of it.

Prism (Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana) - Much too fast and powerful, and it's extremely bulky too. It DOES NOT HELP that it can heal itself. Nor does it that revival items are rare aside from the ones the main character can use (meaning if he goes down, you're royally fucked).

Schwann (Tales of Vesperia [360]) - Has devastating combos, and his secret mission requires hitting him after he uses his mystic arte, which is rather dicey since if you're far enough away to avoid it, odds are you're also too far away to get to him before he recovers. He's also the boss of a rather tedious dungeon. Worse yet, you're out the one viable healer (This does not apply in the PS3 and definitive edition, where you have Flynn for healing, mercifully; this also makes him a lot more bearable).

Edited by Shadow Mir

12 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

With Ashnard, you also have Ena/Nasir and a Royal Laguz who can damage Ashnard if Ike is stat-screwed. With Black Knight, you only have Ike, and you only have a limited number of turns. I agree though that the Black Knight is far from the worst boss fight. 

Getting Nasir requires beating the Black Knight. And if Ike can beat him, then he can stand against Ashnard. So he is a non-issue.

In Ena's case, she can neither damage Ashnard nor can she survive against him at base. And she has only one chapter to train.

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Getting Nasir requires beating the Black Knight. And if Ike can beat him, then he can stand against Ashnard. So he is a non-issue.

In Ena's case, she can neither damage Ashnard nor can she survive against him at base. And she has only one chapter to train.

Yes, but the Laguz Royal the player chooses can stand against Ashnard.

On 5.5.2019 at 1:51 PM, Shrimperor said:

I second this. 

If I "disliked" one thing about CSII, then the mech fights. I do not like robots as I do not like robot fights. Furthermore it took me forever to find out the enemy's weakness spot. The mech fight against Reinhardt was by far the hardest boss in the game, took me like a half dozen of attempts. The first mech fight was so frustrating hard on nightmare that I quitted my attempt and went for CSI which does not have them luckily except for the very end. 

12 minutes ago, Rosalina said:

Furthermore it took me forever to find out the enemy's weakness spot.

Really? I didn't think finding the weak spots was an issue since it's just a quick trial and error process. Divine Knight battles in general aren't that hard (though i've actually never played on anything higher than normal because the last thing i need is for certain bosses to be even more tanky).

22 minutes ago, Rosalina said:

The first mech fight was so frustrating hard on nightmare that I quitted my attempt and went for CSI which does not have them luckily except for the very end. 

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I didn't think finding the weak spots was an issue since it's just a quick trial and error process.

who needs to find weak spots when you can spam that evade/counter move?

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

though i've actually never played on anything higher than normal because the last thing i need is for certain bosses to be even more tanky

Bosses on Nightmare in Cold Steel die pretty damn fast. You don'T even need to abuse stuff to one-shot them. Cold Steel Nightmare is easier then playing Sky normal

Edited by Shrimperor

13 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

who needs to find weak spots when you can spam that evade/counter move?

I mean, can you really spam it when it uses up like 50 CP? I know there's an auto-CP recover move but i'd rather use CP for the special attacks. Fighting the battles solely on evade and counter takes longer.

59 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Yes, but the Laguz Royal the player chooses can stand against Ashnard.

I actually forgot about that. Been ages since I touched Normal Mode. If you are playing on the international hard mode, you only get the option of calling on of the Laguz commanders after defeating Ashnard's first incarnation. I think in the Japanese version, Berserk Ashnard is exclusive to Maniac, so I guess I can see why they felt they didn't need a backup since no player would do their first run of the game on Maniac and actually reach the end. And if you are already familiar with the game, then on Maniac you can be expected to use your resources to fix up Ike. In particular by using the Resolve skill which you can only equip on Ike after the Black Knight battle.

Still not a fan of that approach, but considering this it makes sense that Ashnard hasn't been brought up in this thread.

Edited by BrightBow

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, can you really spam it when it uses up like 50 CP?

Gaius

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

. Fighting the battles solely on evade and counter takes longer.

not really. And it's much much less annoying the playing ''guess the weakpoint'', especially on multistance Mechas

Edited by Shrimperor

On 7.5.2019 at 6:52 PM, Armagon said:

Really? I didn't think finding the weak spots was an issue since it's just a quick trial and error process. Divine Knight battles in general aren't that hard (though i've actually never played on anything higher than normal because the last thing i need is for certain bosses to be even more tanky).

I did not notice the star icons which tell the weakness until my second run. 

Prism (Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana) - Much too fast and powerful, and it's extremely bulky too. It DOES NOT HELP that it can heal itself. Nor does it that revival items are rare aside from the ones the main character can use (meaning if he goes down, you're royally fucked).

Schwann (Tales of Vesperia [360]) - Has devastating combos, and his secret mission requires hitting him after he uses his mystic arte, which is rather dicey since if you're far enough away to avoid it, odds are you're also too far away to get to him before he recovers. He's also the boss of a rather tedious dungeon. Worse yet, you're out the one viable healer (This does not apply in the PS3 and definitive edition, where you have Flynn for healing, mercifully).

The Death Egg Zone (Sonic 2) - Technically, it's a level, but it's a boss only level. Which wouldn't be so bad were it not for the fact that, one, you don't get any rings, and thus have no room for error, and two, you have two bosses to deal with.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Grandia II - Eye of Valmar

Maybe it was just bad memories of playing against this boss, but both times when I played through the game the Eye of Valmar gave me trouble. The hardest part is trying to survive long enough to take down the adds, as they can work together to perform a "combo special" that deals tons of damage. This is while dealing with whatever the Boss decides to toss at you.
Once its minions are down, dealing with the boss itself becomes significantly easier.

Grandia II - Final Boss

... All right, who decided it was a good idea to let Millenia's stun skill work against the final boss? The final boss is made up of a single enemy, and Millenia can simply stunlock it with one of her skills, trivializing the entire fight. Granted, this boss may serve more as an "epilogue" boss as the Core of Valmar seems to be a proper "finale boss," but still.

As for others previously mentioned...

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - Black Knight (RNG Encounter, and if you want to want to beat him but fail, you gotta play through the entire level again...)
Valkyria Chronicles - Chapter 7 (Yeah, this one was something else. Luckily, I had knowledge that Selveria's "covering fire" shots do not pierce through tank armor, so I would use my tank as mobile cover against her. It helps I watched a LP of of the game, although my memory of it is fading.)

• 2 weeks later...

Spiral Pegasus (Mega Man X5) - (Unlike the other bosses in X5, he has no weakness. He is, however, affected by Dark Hold, for all the good that'll do you... which is not a lot since it'll wear off before you can take off a decent portion of his heaith. This is even worse if you're playing as X. And even more noticeable in the end-of-game boss rush since the bosses have high health. On top of that, his charges, which he primarily attacks with, have insane knockback. Were you unlucky enough to get hit next to a pit? You're probably falling into that pit.

Shadow Devil (Mega Man X5) - Zero has it especially bad against this thing, since the eye might appear in a position where he can't hit it. Also, it's weak against lightning, which in Zero's case means using E-Blade, which moves him forward, which means improper spacing will have you move forward into the Shadow Devil and get hit for MASSIVE collision damage. Also, when he deforms, he leaves an outline behind... which also does absolutely LUDICROUS collision damage if you touch it.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Spiral Pegasus (Mega Man X5) - (Unlike the other bosses in X5, he has no weakness. He is, however, affected by Dark Hold, for all the good that'll do you... which is not a lot since it'll wear off before you can take off a decent portion of his heaith. This is even worse if you're playing as X. And even more noticeable in the end-of-game boss rush since the bosses have high health. On top of that, his charges, which he primarily attacks with, have insane knockback. Were you unlucky enough to get hit next to a pit? You're probably falling into that pit.

Shadow Devil (Mega Man X5) - Zero has it especially bad against this thing, since the eye might appear in a position where he can't hit it. Also, it's weak against lightning, which in Zero's case means using E-Blade, which moves him forward, which means improper spacing will have you move forward into the Shadow Devil and get hit for MASSIVE collision damage. Also, when he deforms, he leaves an outline behind... which also does absolutely LUDICROUS collision damage if you touch it.

I think Mega Man games are designed to be pretty frustrating. I mean, most of them are, and have been for a long time, including the BN games which have some pretty annoyingly hard bosses. But I can agree, though.

On 5/25/2019 at 8:28 AM, lightcosmo said:

I think Mega Man games are designed to be pretty frustrating. I mean, most of them are, and have been for a long time, including the BN games which have some pretty annoyingly hard bosses. But I can agree, though.

With the likes of Quick Man's level being a thing, I agree. Oh, and said level is also the basis for the level the Shadow Devil is the boss of. Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 even has an achievement for getting to the boss without the use of the aforementioned Dark Hold, appropriately named "You're Quick, Man".

Speaking of...

Quick Man (Mega Man 2) - Aside from the obvious, that being him being blindingly fast, the weapon he is weak to forces a Sadistic Choice on you thanks to a long segment of screens with instakill beams earlier in the level.

The Boobeam Trap - Requires the Crash Bomber to defeat, and said weapon doesn't have a lot of ammo. As an extra screw you, some of them are hidden behind destructible walls. Guess what weapon you need to destroy them, and why this is a problem? Oh, and this bullshit also has effects that make you suffer afterwards... Let's just say you're better off dying after destroying the walls.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

With the likes of Quick Man's level being a thing, I agree. Oh, and said level is also the basis for the level the Shadow Devil is the boss of. Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 even has an achievement for getting to the boss without the use of the aforementioned Dark Hold, appropriately named "You're Quick, Man".

Speaking of...

Quick Man (Mega Man 2) - Aside from the obvious, that being him being blindingly fast, the weapon he is weak to forces a Sadistic Choice on you thanks to a long segment of screens with instakill beams earlier in the level.

The Boobeam Trap - Requires the Crash Bomber to defeat, and said weapon doesn't have a lot of ammo. As an extra screw you, some of them are hidden behind destructible walls. Guess what weapon you need to destroy them, and why this is a problem? Oh, and this bullshit also has effects that make you suffer afterwards... Let's just say you're better off dying after destroying the walls.

Yep, that's Mega man for ya, for sure. That level of frustration is kinda what makes it what it is, though!

Hmmm, I don't remember Quick man in Mega Man 2 being particularly hard. But, I haven't played it in a while, so who knows, probably better off, though.

Boobeam, yes I remember him. I always hated that thing, how can you forget that thing? It's like, the 3rd level around Wily's castle?

• 2 weeks later...

Of the ones I can recently and vividly remember?

Most of the bosses from Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. The thing about them is that they’re simultaneously frustratingly hard and insultingly easy.

By that I mean that a lot of them have really tricky to dodge attack patterns that it would be extremely hard to get the hang of with the game’s awkward controls... but it’s meaningless because they do so little damage that you can just whale on them with the whip and cross without dodging anything and you’ll still win.

I come out of them feeling humiliated and empty, but with no desire to, or even concept of how I could, prove myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Kaiser Sigma (Mega Man X3) 

The hitbox is so small its damn near impossible to hit him with any weapon that isn't the X-Buster, and when you hit him you barely do any damage. I have played through this game twice, but I have never beat this fight before. (That's mostly because I only tried a few times before I got pissed and replayed Mega Man X for 50th time.)

That robot and mermaid from Cuphead.

!@%? these !@%?ing fights.