Least favorite boss fights

Armagon

Well, guess this thread has been successfully resurrected. And I'm playing a game full of awful bosses right now, so that's rather convenient.

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition

Adecor & Boccos: Round 3
Nothing in a Tales game is quite as irritating as a 1 on 2 against any duo of enemies who will just run straight towards you and attack immediately upon getting in range. Because all your damage comes from combos, so you won't make much progress if any combo string you start gets immediately interrupted. And of course they can combo you all day long if you get unlucky.
Due to their size difference, you might think they have a movement speed difference that you can take advantage of to take them on 1 on 1. But their speed difference is miniscule, so you can't really separate them to a significant degree, seeing how the battlefield is a small circle.
So why "Round 3" specifically and not 1 or 2? Well, the first one you don't actually have to win. The second one you have teammates. But the 3rd one in Heliord, you have to win.
What makes these two particular daunting is two things: First, they are portrayed as bumbling buffoons that protagonist Yuri is utterly unimpressed by. Which painfully contrasts with how awfully they are to actually fight, and therefore ends up being much more frustrating that it needed to be.
Second one is that all their fights also serve as tutorials. And getting a Game Over in a tutorial battle is just not a good feeling.  It also means that every time you lose, you have to waste time clicking yourself through the tutorial again before the fight properly begins. You can't skip these kind of in-battle sequences, unlike normal cutscenes.
Oh, and speaking of wasting time: This battle occurs between a proper boss fight and access to a shop and save point. So you better hope you still have plenty of healing items on you, because if you lose, it's gonna take even longer to get a second try.

Gattuso
Gattuso and it's 2 welps have always been pretty infamous. But by the standards of Vesperia, I can't just put a boss in here because they are hard. It's gotta be utterly irritating bullshit that makes you wonder if the developers hate their players. And Gattuso most certainly provides that.
Still, it's important to establish that Gattuso and his 2 cups are indeed one hell of a difficulty spike. They hit like a truck and your party members are very likely to die when attacked, especially if it's the big guy himself.
But the actual bullshit starts with the fact that you STILL can't swap the party member you control mid battle. This is such a fundamental mechanic that there is no excuse for it not being available from the start. If this is your first Tales game, you might awkwardly try out all kinds of different things, because it just makes no sense for this not being possible. But good lord, it also takes so...bloody...long. I think they even give you access to Overlimit before allowing you to use this most basic of gameplay features.
Anyway, back to Gattuso. As I said, he's likely to kill any party member he gets to attack. You can set the AI so that they will try to stay away from any enemies, so in theory you should be mostly fine with just AI control. But the thing is, the 3 enemies aren't the only thing in the arena. There are also the Billybally Leafs. Those plants are indestructible, but can be targeted and send out spores when hit that stun everyone in range. Can in theory be helpful against the boss. Thing is, the plants are specifically placed just barely inside the battle arena. Seeing how the arena is a circle, if your AI allies try to run away from Gattuso, they will usually quickly run against those plants and get stuck there. And when the Gattuso strikes them, it's very likely to hit the plant, which will then paralyze your ally as if they already weren't fucked 10 times over. Suuuure would be nice to be able to take control directly to help the AI out here. But of course that can't be done because the game decides to withhold that ability from you for half the game for no reason.
It's also worth noting that this battle occurs when your party was fleeing into the forest from the knights. And even before that, you were running away from the knights in Halure. Which means you have no reason to assume you can just return to the same street you just came from and return to Halure of all places to stuck up on supplies. And this is still very early in the game, so you are very unlikely to have your healing items filled to the cap. Especially Life Bottles, who are really important in that fight because of all the unavoidable death you have to deal with.
But yeah, it IS possible to return to Halure and stock up, even if it would make 0 sense to be possible right now with the knights on your trail. But if you actually try it you are likely to activate a cutscene that turns you around. Why is it only "likely"? Well, because the cutscene is only meant to stop you from going further West, but it's placed in such a fashion you are likely to enter it on your way out of the forest unless you stay on the right side of the path. And the way it's presented, it looks like the game is trying to stop you from leaving the forest rather then going West specifically.

3 x Lett
You know what's worse then fighting 1 vs 2 in against enemies that go straight for your throat in a Tales game? How about 3?
When arriving at Capua Nor, Yuri decides to split from the party and chase a suspicious figure into a dark alley. Suddenly there are 3 of them. With twice as many knives, no less. Rather then allow natural selection to take it's course, you gotta somehow win this fight in order to progress. So that's fun.
The Letts are much faster then the above mentioned knights, both in movement and attacking speed. So when you do get hit (which you can't exactly avoid if you want to actually beat these guys), there is really no telling how long they will keep you staggered. They might well combo you all the way down from 100% HP to 0 with no way to escape. Hopefully after beating the Gattuso, you had the foresight to run back to Halure AGAIN to stack up on Apple Gees, because despite already being in a town, the game won't allow you to shop until AFTER this fight. Sure would suck having to run all the way back to Halure again, especially since that carriage wreck still blocks the direct route and will in fact do so for the entire rest of the game for some unfathomable reason. *cry*

Alexei
Overlimit! Guardian Frost! Guardian Frost! Guardian Frost!
Need I say more?
Still, I wouldn't put Alexei here if it wasn't for the circumstances surrounding him which really amplify the frustration of dealing with him.
Alexei has been the main antagonist for several dungeons now. Dungeons that are long and frustrating. And every time you reach him, he just runs off to another super long dungeon. He also currently has your healer kidnapped, so several times you find that your literal princess is in fact in another castle. You have to beat no less then FOUR dungeons before you finally force this guy into a fight. The first 3 which have to be done without your healer, so that adds to the fun.
And now, after all the torture he has inflicted on the pure-hearted Estelle, making her beg for death while he gleefully laughs about it... after all the people he murdered... after all his loyal companions he happily sacrificed... and most importantly: after all those LONG-ASS DUNGEONS he made you run through to get here... he says: 
"None of you--NONE--thinks the empire is in the right."

So that comes a bit out of nowhere.
The idea that Alexei is merely a misguided person with good intentions is a fucking joke. Alexei has been indulging in needless cruelty in every scene he is in ever since this dumb goose chase started. And even now when the final battle is about to start, he says nothing of actual substance. "None of you think the empire is in the right" about... what exactly? Is it about the current conflict? Because my impression was the empire is very much opposed to a sadistic egomaniac gaining virtually unlimited power. And I kinda find myself agreeing with that stance. The heroes didn't mention the empire either. So there is really no additional context for this line.
And yet, this single line is enough for the entire party to go along with that stupid premise. So they now all give their own speeches about how "The ends don't justify the means yadayadayada" without every actually defining the "ends" everyone is supposedly talking about. This is how we are going to frame this stupid battle.
Any kind of enthusiasm I had left at this point about FINALLY taking this fucker down was replaced by sheer irritation of the absurdity of it all, about how the game expected me to view this guy, and how it did absolutely nothing to sell that interpretation. The perfect way to end this series of tedious and frustrating dungeons.
And it's the big climax of Part 2 as well. So that ended up on a bit of a whimper.

Edited by BrightBow

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Well, guess this thread has been successfully resurrected. And I'm playing a game full of awful bosses right now, so that's rather convenient.

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition

Adecor & Boccos: Round 3
Nothing in a Tales game is quite as irritating as a 1 on 2 against any duo of enemies who will just run straight towards you and attack immediately upon getting in range. Because all your damage comes from combos, so you won't make much progress if any combo string you start gets immediately interrupted. And of course they can combo you all day long if you get unlucky.
Due to their size difference, you might think they have a movement speed difference that you can take advantage of to take them on 1 on 1. But their speed difference is miniscule, so you can't really separate them to a significant degree, seeing how the battlefield is a small circle.
So why "Round 3" specifically and not 1 or 2? Well, the first one you don't actually have to win. The second one you have teammates. But the 3rd one in Heliord, you have to win.
What makes these two particular daunting is two things: First, they are portrayed as bumbling buffoons that protagonist Yuri is utterly unimpressed by. Which painfully contrasts with how awfully they are to actually fight, and therefore ends up being much more frustrating that it needed to be.
Second one is that all their fights also serve as tutorials. And getting a Game Over in a tutorial battle is just not a good feeling.  It also means that every time you lose, you have to waste time clicking yourself through the tutorial again before the fight properly begins. You can't skip these kind of in-battle sequences, unlike normal cutscenes.
Oh, and speaking of wasting time: This battle occurs between a proper boss fight and access to a shop and save point. So you better hope you still have plenty of healing items on you, because if you lose, it's gonna take even longer to get a second try.

Gattuso
Gattuso and it's 2 welps have always been pretty infamous. But by the standards of Vesperia, I can't just put a boss in here because they are hard. It's gotta be utterly irritating bullshit that makes you wonder if the developers hate their players. And Gattuso most certainly provides that.
Still, it's important to establish that Gattuso and his 2 cups are indeed one hell of a difficulty spike. They hit like a truck and your party members are very likely to die when attacked, especially if it's the big guy himself.
But the actual bullshit starts with the fact that you STILL can't swap the party member you control mid battle. This is such a fundamental mechanic that there is no excuse for it not being available from the start. If this is your first Tales game, you might awkwardly try out all kinds of different things, because it just makes no sense for this not being possible. But good lord, it also takes so...bloody...long. I think they even give you access to Overlimit before allowing you to use this most basic of gameplay features.
Anyway, back to Gattuso. As I said, he's likely to kill any party member he gets to attack. You can set the AI so that they will try to stay away from any enemies, so in theory you should be mostly fine with just AI control. But the thing is, the 3 enemies aren't the only thing in the arena. There are also the Billybally Leafs. Those plants are indestructible, but can be targeted and send out spores when hit that stun everyone in range. Can in theory be helpful against the boss. Thing is, the plants are specifically placed just barely inside the battle arena. Seeing how the arena is a circle, if your AI allies try to run away from Gattuso, they will usually quickly run against those plants and get stuck there. And when the Gattuso strikes them, it's very likely to hit the plant, which will then paralyze your ally as if they already weren't fucked 10 times over. Suuuure would be nice to be able to take control directly to help the AI out here. But of course that can't be done because the game decides to withhold that ability from you for half the game for no reason.
It's also worth noting that this battle occurs when your party was fleeing into the forest from the knights. And even before that, you were running away from the knights in Halure. Which means you have no reason to assume you can just return to the same street you just came from and return to Halure of all places to stuck up on supplies. And this is still very early in the game, so you are very unlikely to have your healing items filled to the cap. Especially Life Bottles, who are really important in that fight because of all the unavoidable death you have to deal with.
But yeah, it IS possible to return to Halure and stock up, even if it would make 0 sense to be possible right now with the knights on your trail. But if you actually try it you are likely to activate a cutscene that turns you around. Why is it only "likely"? Well, because the cutscene is only meant to stop you from going further West, but it's placed in such a fashion you are likely to enter it on your way out of the forest unless you stay on the right side of the path. And the way it's presented, it looks like the game is trying to stop you from leaving the forest rather then going West specifically.

3 x Lett
You know what's worse then fighting 1 vs 2 in against enemies that go straight for your throat in a Tales game? How about 3?
When arriving at Capua Nor, Yuri decides to split from the party and chase a suspicious figure into a dark alley. Suddenly there are 3 of them. With twice as many knives, no less. Rather then allow natural selection to take it's course, you gotta somehow win this fight in order to progress. So that's fun.
The Letts are much faster then the above mentioned knights, both in movement and attacking speed. So when you do get hit (which you can't exactly avoid if you want to actually beat these guys), there is really no telling how long they will keep you staggered. They might well combo you all the way down from 100% HP to 0 with no way to escape. Hopefully after beating the Gattuso, you had the foresight to run back to Halure AGAIN to stack up on Apple Gees, because despite already being in a town, the game won't allow you to shop until AFTER this fight. Sure would suck having to run all the way back to Halure again, especially since that carriage wreck still blocks the direct route and will in fact do so for the entire rest of the game for some unfathomable reason. *cry*

Alexei
Need I say more?
Still, I wouldn't put Alexei here if it wasn't for the circumstances surrounding him which really amplify the frustration of dealing with him.
Alexei has been the main antagonist for several dungeons now. Dungeons that are long and frustrating. And every time you reach him, he just runs off to another super long dungeon. He also currently has your healer kidnapped, so several times you find that your literal princess is in fact in another castle. You have to beat no less then FOUR dungeons before you finally force this guy into a fight. The first 3 which have to be done without your healer, so that adds to the fun.
And now, after all the torture he has inflicted on the pure-hearted Estelle, making her beg for death while he gleefully laughs about it... after all the people he murdered... after all his loyal companions he happily sacrificed... and most importantly: after all those LONG-ASS DUNGEONS he made you run through to get here... he says: 
"None of you--NONE--thinks the empire is in the right."

So that comes a bit out of nowhere.
The idea that Alexei is merely a misguided person with good intentions is a fucking joke. Alexei has been indulging in needless cruelty in every scene he is in ever since this dumb goose chase started. And even now when the final battle is about to start, he says nothing of actual substance. "None of you think the empire is in the right" about... what exactly? Is it about the current conflict? Because my impression was the empire is very much opposed to a sadistic egomaniac gaining virtually unlimited power. And I kinda find myself agreeing with that stance. The heroes didn't mention the empire either. So there is really no additional context for this line.
And yet, this single line is enough for the entire party to go along with that stupid premise. So they now all give their own speeches about how "The ends don't justify the means yadayadayada" without every actually defining the "ends" everyone is supposedly talking about. This is how we are going to frame this stupid battle.
Any kind of enthusiasm I had left at this point about FINALLY taking this fucker down was replaced by sheer irritation of the absurdity of it all, about how the game expected me to view this guy, and how it did absolutely nothing to sell that interpretation. The perfect way to end this series of tedious and frustrating dungeons.
And it's the big climax of Part 2 as well, so that ended up on a bit of a whimper.

I can agree with Alexi, but tweedle A and tweedle B are fairly simple.

I find that trying to get too defensive gets you killed, getting aggressive works much better.

While we're on the topic of tales of vesperia, how do you beat Clint, Tison, and Nan in the labyrinth? Clint's mystic arte literally forces a loss, and I can react to it. I've tried about 5 times so far with no luck at all. Is there something I'm missing?

4 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

While we're on the topic of tales of vesperia, how do you beat Clint, Tison, and Nan in the labyrinth? Clint's mystic arte literally forces a loss, and I can react to it. I've tried about 5 times so far with no luck at all. Is there something I'm missing?

I've never seen him kill more then 2 party members at once with his Mystic Art. But yeah, the specifics on how this works would be nice to know. What triggers his Mystic Arte and what triggers his normal Fatal Strike. But I'm pretty sure he needs to infect you with his "Fatal Strike Status" either way. So as long as you can avoid his big attacks, you should be in the clear.

In any case, you should probably take Clint out first. Repede is probably the best one to face him head-on since he can use Gale Dog to become completely intangible if he can't manage to get out of range of Clint's big charge attacks. That move has no windup either. So he can just spam it to become completely invulnerable as long as he has TP. Even Mystic Artes can't do anything to him that way.
While common wisdom dictates to target the healer first, Nan's First Aid is actually heavily nerfed compared to the player version. So it doesn't actually heal that much. But even so, you can simply send a quick ally after her by setting them to target "Arte Users". This should be enough to keep her from casting. But once Clint is down, you definitely wanna take her out since she can cast Resurrection. I've never seen her cast the spell while in Overlimit, but that's probably something to watch out for just in case.
Casting Resurrection during Overlimit is generally a nice thing to do in the Labyrinth to avoid running out of Life Bottles.

Btw, did you find the event to fight the real Clint? That might be a good idea to tackle first.

Edited by BrightBow

6 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Who are you using? I'd have Estelle use Revive if you're using her.

Incidentally, I'd say the coliseum is where Clint's most worrisome. Specifically, in the single battles.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Incidentally, I'd say the coliseum is where Clint's most worrisome. Specifically, in the single battles.

Team Match also has the added difficulty of them having a 4th member. And King Kaboom is a much better healer then Nan.
Still, can't say I ever had much trouble with them outside of single battles. Other then King Kaboom dragging out the battle. But that's not an issue in the labyrinth encounter.

5 hours ago, BrightBow said:

I've never seen him kill more then 2 party members at once with his Mystic Art. But yeah, the specifics on how this works would be nice to know. What triggers his Mystic Arte and what triggers his normal Fatal Strike. But I'm pretty sure he needs to infect you with his "Fatal Strike Status" either way. So as long as you can avoid his big attacks, you should be in the clear.

In any case, you should probably take Clint out first. Repede is probably the best one to face him head-on since he can use Gale Dog to become completely intangible if he can't manage to get out of range of Clint's big charge attacks. That move has no windup either. So he can just spam it to become completely invulnerable as long as he has TP. Even Mystic Artes can't do anything to him that way.
While common wisdom dictates to target the healer first, Nan's First Aid is actually heavily nerfed compared to the player version. So it doesn't actually heal that much. But even so, you can simply send a quick ally after her by setting them to target "Arte Users". This should be enough to keep her from casting. But once Clint is down, you definitely wanna take her out since she can cast Resurrection. I've never seen her cast the spell while in Overlimit, but that's probably something to watch out for just in case.
Casting Resurrection during Overlimit is generally a nice thing to do in the Labyrinth to avoid running out of Life Bottles.

Btw, did you find the event to fight the real Clint? That might be a good idea to tackle first.

Once, and only once, has he failed to wipe my whole team out, killing only three of them instead, but that luck can't hold out forever. His Mystic Arte randomly seems to inflict the fatal strike status on anyone on the field.

I don't have any issues getting that far, usually only using one or two life bottles, which is nice.

I'm not 100% sure, I might have before. I've beaten him in the coliseum, but he doesn't use his Mystic Arte there, so it's easy.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I have no idea how you could get a revival spell off fast enough, and even if I could, everyone dies in one Mystic Arte at the same time, so I can't revive.

When you say who am I using, do you mean my battle party or who i'm in control of?

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I have no idea how you could get a revival spell off fast enough, and even if I could, everyone dies in one Mystic Arte at the same time, so I can't revive.

When you say who am I using, do you mean my battle party or who i'm in control of?

Oof. 

Both, but mainly who you're using.

40 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Team Match also has the added difficulty of them having a 4th member. And King Kaboom is a much better healer then Nan.
Still, can't say I ever had much trouble with them outside of single battles. Other then King Kaboom dragging out the battle. But that's not an issue in the labyrinth encounter.

I was thinking more of the 80 man melee on up. Unless he doesn't use his Mystic Arte there...

Jon Irenicus - Baldur gate 2

Baldur gate 1 final boss is a group of powerful antagonists wich cover every class and whit effective builds, while dealing whit enviromental hazard. And their leader is a melee monster that can kill everyone in few hits while being basically immune to Baldur Gate. 

Throne of Baal final boss is a 5 phases epic onslaught where the big bad throw at you powerful melee attacks, epic spells both arcane and divine, an hordes of summons wich include a few elemental princes, potential corruption of party members, and it's immune to throne of Bhaal in every phase.

The final boss of BG 2 is... just an high level character. A lich whitout the undead immunities and resistances after you fought Liches since midgame. And the second phase is just the same whit a bit more stats and a few demons that, while not weak, are not really a threat either. 

Irenicus is the hypest and coolest villain, but has the lamest boss fights, after the 2 BG continuosly pit you againist great and tough bosses that challenges you in interesting ways and scale well. Then you fight a weakened lich as the final boss.

41 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

That shouldn't matter since the Revive spell resurrects a character automatically when they die.

In case there is any confusion, Revive is the Altered Arte of Resurrection. Estelle needs to have Hell Fire, Athenor. Gale and Great Deluge equipped to cast it. Cast it 51 times and she can use it without needing those four skills set.

Edited by BrightBow

40 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Oof. 

Both, but mainly who you're using.

I was thinking more of the 80 man melee on up. Unless he doesn't use his Mystic Arte there...

Well, I control Estelle in certain battles and Yuri in others, depending on the situation of course.

My party is Estelle, Yuri, Flynn, and last slot I switch hoping for the best. I have Flynn in for S. Spell area, it's really nice to have and makes wiping other bosses really easy.

12 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

That shouldn't matter since the Revive spell resurrects a character automatically when they die.

In case there is any confusion, Revive is the Altered Arte of Resurrection. Estelle needs to have Hell Fire, Athenor. Gale and Great Deluge equipped to cast it. Cast it 51 times and she can use it without needing those four skills set.

I thought revive didn't work against Clint's Ultimate Fatal Strike? I should mention I have all the alternate artes already unlocked, as well as alternate Mystic Artes.

All the talk of Tales reminded me of another awful one...

Emeraude in Graces. For starters, she has an aura around her that damages you if you touch it, which sucks for melee fighters. Second, her attacks make the fight feel more like bullet hell. In an RPG. Third, she will use Killing Field - a spell that hits the entire field a la Tidal Wave - once Eleth Break happens (Eleth Break is essentially Eleth Burst, which is Graces's version of Over Limit, but for the entire enemy party). While it can be blocked, the AI is too stupid to do so, and they'll likely get wiped by her Mystic Arte that she'll follow it up with. On top of all this, you fight her right after another boss, who, while easier, isn't a cakewalk, meaning you might have already gone through some of your supplies before fighting her. About the only thing in your corner is knowing you won't have to fight the previous boss again if you're defeated.

Then there's Duke's third form. It's a huge difficulty spike compared to the second form (the second form is level 65. The third form? Level 82). He's capable of hitting you with every status effect under the sun, including Charm, which is really nasty as it's the analogue to Confuse in other RPGs. Also, he can heal himself. Oh, and he has another Mystic Arte aside from Big Bang... that also heals him for a lot of health. And as this is the third form, odds are your item supplies might have been significantly drained.

Edited by Shadow Mir

I FINALLY BEAT HIM! 

Heavenly Bladewing ended him very quickly. And the idea to take Clint out first worked! Thank you so much! I feel so much better now!

Edit: I just went up against the Traitor to Heaven for the first time and... ouch, that one stung a bit. Just... wow, I could not keep up with the damage output in that battle. I was so confident after my victory against Clint, I guess this is me getting my dues.

Edited by lightcosmo

On 1/15/2020 at 12:06 AM, BrightBow said:

Alexei
Need I say more?

Oh yes I recall that mystic art hell. Every time it was going well he just performed his mystic art which takes about half the screen. And if you survive that he does it again. Granted I was about a decade younger last time I tried him so I'm not sure if it would still be such hell. I actually don't entirely mind though. Unlike that lame wolf boss I think Alexei earned some right to be incredibly powerful. 

Largo from Tales of the Abyss has the opposite problem. Either his boss fight is poorly designed or outright glitched because every time you hit him he goes in a long stun animation, and considering his size you'll be hitting him a lot. This makes his boss fight primarily about just wailing on the poor guy as he just stands their. A pitiful end for an imposing and likable villain. 

Aww, poor Largo

You will never do a successful attack in time thanks to your inertia.

I remember in my first Abyss playthrough in the fight against the Three God Generals, Natalia solo'd Arietta and him without issues because I did not know how to use life battles on the others.

It was one of my most hilarious moments in videogaming.

Edited by Rosalina

Gonarch (Half-Life)

I feel like the Gonarch fight was only added to Half Life just to extend the time it takes to get you through Xen, its a fairly easy fight since you just got stocked up on health and ammo before entering but its dragged out since you have to chase the thing down multiply times before finely killing it.

"The Baby" (South Park the Stick of Truth)

I hated this boss fought because of its constant spamming of using moves that give the Gross Out effect on the character. Its also a tedious fight because it has the ability to absorb health from the character. Not a hard boss fight, just one that takes an unnecessary amount of time.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to revive this topic because, holy hell, Farnirarras the pensive is lame as Hell. 

To put into perspective. He is Pathfinder:Kingmaker superboss that can be fought only after you did a gamewide sidequest about hunting 45 monsters. Or if you cheese and teleport into the room.

When i found out about him i tried to fight him out of masochism just to see how much overpowered bullshit the guys who made the Stag Lord and Hargulka where going to give him. 

I killed him in 3 turns whitout any serious preparation. No buffing and no equipment changing. 

I was at an almost appropriate level and my MC is kinda overpowered, but i was expecting much more. I guess i got lucky whit saving throws againist wail of the banshee, but again, my next try i would have casted death ward, so the result would end up the same.