Platinum Games Has Two New IPs in the Works (with Bayonetta 3 Relevance)

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/platinum-says-secret-project-is-unlike-anything-done-before/

Apparently Platinum Games is moving toward self-publishing their games, and this will include two new IPs Platinum alone owns. Factoring in Bayonetta 3 and Astral Chains, Platinum now has four games under development.

By going to self-publishing, Platinum will be freer to determine what games are made and allowed to be more creative with those games. Bayonetta 2 seems to have involved a lot of back-and-forth negotiation that was a hassle to get through before the game was approved and done.  -Although this does not mean collaborations with other companies will cease to be, they'll keep that door open, they just want more options.

As a result, the methodology design process of Bayonetta 3 will be altered from that of 1 & 2, to create a "new foundation" for Platinum as a company.

Is this why Bayo 3 hasn't had anything really said or shown about it so far? Does this mean a later-rather-than-sooner timing for its release? I'm just hoping whatever happens, for fans of the company, genre, and Bayo, that the end product is Pure Platinum.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer
Title was a little iffy

Platinum Games has proven time and time again that they're a studio that can standout from the crowd with some of the best action games this generation has to offer, if any studio should start self publishing it's Platinum. Their name slapped onto a project has become a selling point for a lot of games recently so there's definitely a built in audience that will support a Platinum original IP, there's really no reason for them not to at least try.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Is this why Bayo 3 hasn't had anything really said or shown about it so far? Does this mean a later-rather-than-sooner timing for its release? I'm just hoping whatever happens, for fans of the company, genre, and Bayo, that the end product is Pure Platinum.

That's what I'd figured the moment Astral Chain was announced. The game was announced at the 2017 VGAs with nothing to show since-- either development had barely begun or snags had been hit.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit curious in seeing how Astral Chain and Bayonetta 3 do; Bayonetta 2 has only sold about 500k, with 2/3 of those sales being from the Switch re-release (which means a fair few of them may have been from people re-buying it). I'm just wondering how things will go long-term if Astral Chain comes out and puts up a million in sales and then Bayonetta 3 comes along a year+ later and doesn't match it. 

Bayonetta 2's announcement to release was almost exactly two years, so if Bayonetta 3 takes longer than Dec 2019 to come out then it will have been actually longer than the most immediate case example for this franchise. Of course Bayonetta 2 did have more updates than 3 has so far, including an E3 demo halfway to release, hence why we were anticipating it at last year's E3. At this point in time we naturally think Astral Chain is closer to completion - it has gameplay AND a release date! Personally, I wouldn't start worrying about Bayonetta 3 until E3 this year. Maybe a 2019 release is still possible, and Bayonetta always finds time for pillow talk.

I'm actually surprised to recall that Bayonetta 2 was not released in December. It's a Christmas game!