What Happens To the Houses We Don't Pick

I was thinking about how there are topics asking what house people will pick for their first playthrough of Three Houses and something occurred to me. We still aren't entirely sure what happens to the two houses that aren't picked. There have been speculations about the stories merging later or possibly the other two becoming enemies or rivals, but nothing has been confirmed quite yet. Which would you prefer; joining the party or enemies?

And that brings up another question. Since there is so much customization for classes, do we still get to choose classes for the houses other than the one we pick? Or will those characters default to specific classes? There's a lot to think about and a lot to discuss here, so I'm hoping to hear everyone's thoughts!

I was assuming every character had a canon class and we'd recruit them at some point already promoted in it. Only your house's students get to be tutored, though.

Skipping on 16 characters every playthrough just sounds like way too much.

That being said... another issue is whether or not we'll face the other houses in combat(beyond mock battles), and that is really difficult to say at this point. As for the stories merging... I'm going to say yes. We're already seeing different Houses on the exact same map, and it doesn't seem like this will be three games in one in general.

they all get wiped off screen because without byleth to keep them alive they are completely incompetent

honestly I think that every character will be customizable in some capacity, and after a certain point we will get some new non student characters with some minor options.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

Between the 3, Yellow Alliance (can't be assed to spell their name right) and the Holy Kingdom feels like the ones that'll devolve into infighting because of religion and money and that the lords will side with their country instead of being with you. Or you're mostly stuck with 1 house with the occasional help from someone else. But the 3 lords don't strike me as the backstabbing type, except for the blue one.

Guest nanashi

I don't think any thing happens and the others houses will join up latter. We have seen students from other houses interacting at the school. For example in the direct video you seem them sparring with each other. There is also a screenshot from the famitsu that shows two students from different houses sitting next to each other.  

2 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Between the 3, Yellow Alliance (can't be assed to spell their name right) and the Holy Kingdom feels like the ones that'll devolve into infighting because of religion and money and that the lords will side with their country instead of being with you. Or you're mostly stuck with 1 house with the occasional help from someone else. But the 3 lords don't strike me as the backstabbing type, except for the blue one.

I imagine the empire will go out and do "empire things"

It's free real estate

6 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

They flunk and enter the wonderful field of customer service.

Maybe it's early enough in their history that the labor, agriculture, and mining industries are also viable options.

So they could choose between getting yelled at by soccer moms all day, getting horribly injured by shoddy equipment, starving because of poor harvest seasons, or getting killed by a cave-in within a mine shaft.

The true Fire Emblem Fates: what awful job do you want to get stuck with?  I personally would like to try my hand at Fire Emblem Fates: Agriculture because I'm pretty sure it features a cameo from Mozu, and I can never get enough of that adorable country bumpkin.

I really don't think IS will kill off the other 14 classmates(14 because we'll definitely get the other 2 leaders they're on the box let's be real you're definitely getting them all). Don't get me wrong, I'd love for IS to be bold and kill them off in an attack on the school, leading to friction between the 3 countries and the big bad, killing the country's youth. 14 units is still 14 highly detailed models, with unique outfits for each potential class and lots of dialogue in and out of story missions, so I doubt they'd waste all that time, it's IS we're talking about. On the bright side, even with 24 students there is still a lot of roster room for units out of the school arc so I'm not sure having all 3 classes will be such a big waste of roster space. Idk if we'll be able to customise those units though, I'm guessing they're recruited after the school setting is phased out, so it would make canonical sense for them to have promoted to a set class by then.

My personal belief is that they would join us later in their canon class, but that brings up another question.

How?

Receiving 8 characters in one chapter seems incredibly overwhelming, imagine 16! If they're recruitable how would they stagger their recruitment without altering the story too much, and allow for us to get characters who are not students/teachers of the academy? (Assuming that there are non-school related units) It seems like the students hang out in pairs, if that means anything. One of my favorite experiences every FE earlygame is wondering what characters I would get next, and testing them out. I hope they handle this well! :lol:

With the amount of characters shown so far i hope they merge up later if not immediately cause otherwise were stuck with the same characters for the whole playthrough. On the other hand this adds lots of replay ability with fresh new playthroughs. Could also do what they did with fates where you choose to support one of the kingdoms in there war. Example being support the Golden deer against an Adestrian kingdom invasion etc.    

I'm honestly expecting you to be able to recruit all of them. The House you pick get the most customization and that's it. I could be wrong, but honestly, I'd like some linear story after the failed implementaion of choice that was Fates.

1. Byleth chooses a class to tutor for the mock battle and wins it. 
  2. Because of this victory, Byleth and his class are assigned a mission. The other two classes stay at the monastery.
  3. When you return, you get at least one of the other classes (the other one might be on a mission of their own). By this point those units have reached their "canon" classes.
  4. Potentially do another mission and repeat the process.
Edited by Thane

1 minute ago, PrincessAlyson said:

I'm honestly expecting you to be able to recruit all of them. The House you pick get the most customization and that's it. I could be wrong, but honestly, I'd like some linear story after the failed implementaion of choice that was Fates.

This right here. I want there to be as little variation between the House choices as possible. Just make one really good story with no deviations or variations and we are just picking who we'd like to customize a bit more.

I mean realistically I wish there was one fixed story that didn't change at all based on our House choice, but each House had dramatically different roles within that story. Like House A was the heroes, B the bad guys and C the undecided. So our House choice resulted in seeing the whole story from an entirely different point of view, but didn't change the actual events or ultimate outcome. But given how special and important Byleth/Sothis seem to be to the story I don't see that being realistic in the slightest . Their power and presence is the kind of thing that would dramatically tip the scale, much like Corrin's choice in Fates completely changing the entire course of the war and story.

5 minutes ago, Stroud said:

They get the evil teachers. 

So they get the teachers who make them do advanced geometry and calculus without calculators?

Or maybe the teachers that force them to watch a live birth video multiple times because, like, two girls were whispering to each other in the back of the classroom?

Either way...

Ngug3zE.png

13 minutes ago, Thane said:
  1. Byleth chooses a class to tutor for the mock battle and wins it. 
  2. Because of this victory, Byleth and his class are assigned a mission. The other two classes stay at the monastery.
  3. When you return, you get at least one of the other classes (the other one might be on a mission of their own). By this point those units have reached their "canon" classes.
  4. Potentially do another mission and repeat the process.

This seems very probable.  In Valkyria Chronicles 2, it seemed like your class was the only class that would ever actually conduct missions while all the other classes seemed to stay back at the academy, so I could see it being the case here as well.

I could very easily see them bringing back the paralogue system but have other students be the focus of them instead, have a few students from each house for each one, give them a difficulty and far away locations from the party's position, to stagger recruitment, allowing for other units to show up as more powerful classes later game. I'd imagine the other leaders and maybe teachers will be recruited through the story anyway. For example:

Black Eagles Paralogues{01 - Petra
                                             02 - Bernadetta + Ferdinand
                                             03 - Caspar + Linhardt
                                             04 - Hubert + Dorothea}
Blue Lions Paralogues{05 - Mercedes + Annette
                                         06 - Sylvain
                                         07 - Blonde Girl + Ashe
                                         08 - White Haired Guy + Felix}

Golden Deer Paralogues{09 - Leonie + Raphael
                                            10 - Marianne + Lysithea
                                            11 - Ignace
                                            12 - Hilda + Lorentz}

Guest Lae
1 hour ago, Guest nanashi said:

I don't think any thing happens and the others houses will join up latter. We have seen students from other houses interacting at the school. For example in the direct video you seem them sparring with each other. There is also a screenshot from the famitsu that shows two students from different houses sitting next to each other.  

Exactly the difference won't be major

I think what will happen is that the three countries will no doubt end up warring against one another so each house will return to their country and you'll probably end up fighting most of them at one point but you will be able to recruit them in their 'canon' classes as by the time they are gotten I predict we will have left the monastery.

But even if we don't get the other students (which I say is unlikely) we will definitely get the other two lords.

48 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

So they get the teachers who make them do advanced geometry and calculus without calculators?

Or maybe the teachers that force them to watch a live birth video multiple times because, like, two girls were whispering to each other in the back of the classroom?

Noo, after these lessons they will be like a zombie class D=. 

I would find it strange for the other classes to do nothing and would dislike it, the game should at least make an attempt that the other classes are going through experience without you. I guess depending on which country your "field study" will be certain classes get along. I mean it would make sense for Edelgard helping you around the Adrestian Empire. 

I think it would be ok if its like this. The Story has some knot points which will remain the same whatever class you pick, but certain chapters have differences depending on the choice...kind of like Tactics Ogre. were the end was the same no matter which path you choose. 

With that the story could have a clear line and still give new information on each playthrough.

They explode. 

Actual answer, I think they'll be NPCs and maybe recruit-able but i'm not 100% sure on that yet. I could see you fighting them in like house combat drills though.

Im hoping that maybe based on some stuff in the game, we side with another house, and maybe the 3rd becomes an enemy or something later on. Or maybe we have to choose to save certain members of one house and the others die.

Something to make the house choice matter and give us something to replay several times for.

They get sold to the highest bidder at auction.

It's too early to say right now, especially with evidence of mixed house factions (including your own), but it doesn't sound like you lose out on everyone from the unpicked houses.