Fe8 Unit Cap, HP Cap, and Palette questions

perhaps

Hiya friends!  I haven't been here in a while, but replaying FE8 has made me want to create something for myself that might be a bit of a stretch, but alas, here I am

I wanted to modify my FE8 game to have all of the characters from FE7 and FE6 as well, and possibly even include various boss units.  This is just to make the post game more fun for me, as I love seeing how my units grow, as well as using varying teams in post game combat.  I'm fairly confident that I can insert the battle animations I'd need, Portraits, new Text, etc using Feditor, since I've done it many times before.  I'm also fairly confident I can use Nightmare where necessary, and I'm pretty sure I have all of the necessary Modules and tools (I have a hex editor as well if needed.)

Here's where the problems come in: Last time I attempted to do something like this, I learned that FE8 has a unit cap of I believe it was 63 characters.  Adding anymore begins to overwrite character slots instead of adding new ones.  Furthermore, trying to add in new palettes in values after the pre existing palettes doesn't appear to work.  I'm not sure if that's because there's a hex string I'd need to modify in order to increase how many palettes are in the game, or maybe something else.  But when I tried inserting a palette over a pre existing palette, it worked fine.  So I'm not sure exactly what to do in that scenario.  

I also was interested in potentially playing with Stat caps, but the only one that seems difficult to modify is HP.  For some reason, no matter how much I try, I can never get it to go above 60.  I'm not too picky about this, since I intend to first roll with the base growths/max stats for each character.  But I'd be interested in trying to change it in the future

Any help or information is appreciated, and I know that this might seem kinda selfish since this is a mod literally for my own enjoyment rather than for the use of other people.  But I'm not sure where else to go in order to find this information

Many thanks, Jeremy

Hey there. I recently released a hack with similar goals in mind, and I quickly learned about the limitations of rom hacking too. I don't know much about Feditor or Nightmare, since I've been using FEBuilder for my project, but many of those things you want can be implemented by just selecting some patches from a simple menu in FEBuilder. For example, the 127 class limit (considering monster classes and female human classes) was very recently bypassed by "Stan's expanded modular save patch", which allows up to 255 classes. Keep in mind that you would still be limited to 255 battle animations though. As to the stats cap, I believe you need only to install two patches, "Double Maximum possible stats" and "Player character HP limit" which is locked to 60. Read this thread for more info. So yeah, all things considered, I would advise using FEBuilder instead, as it is a very powerful and easy to use tool that is still being updated and made even better. 

If you don't mind me asking lightcosmo, 

6 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

It's in the patches section. Use the search function to find it.

Do you know which patch it is?  I used the search, and I looked through each patch individually, and couldn't find anything, unless it's labelled as something differently

I really do appreciate the help

16 hours ago, perhaps said:

If you don't mind me asking lightcosmo, 

Do you know which patch it is?  I used the search, and I looked through each patch individually, and couldn't find anything, unless it's labelled as something differently

I really do appreciate the help

Double maximum possible stats version 2 works with the skills patch.

Edited by lightcosmo

Ohhhh I think there might be a bit of miscommunication.  I'm looking to raise the Unit cap, not the stat cap.  The game allows 63 units on your team before starting to rewrite over other characters.  I was trying to find a way to expand that

Edit: Although the stat cap is also important tbh

Edited by perhaps

Oh, sorry! The topic header mentioned HP caps, which ties with that patch, with it you can go to 120, i'm pretty sure? As far as units go, unfortunately, no much you can do there, sorry.