The Unusual Prominence of the Leicester Crests (+ Sword Orb Crest)

Hello! This is my first time on this forum so I'm sorry about any formatting.

I was skimming over all the information we got since the Famitsu reveal and I noticed that some crests seem to take more precedence over others in an unknown capacity (unlike the Hresvelg crest, which is just all over the church). Namely two of the Leicester crests, and the orb crest.

(Some of these we have briefly seen in @VincentASM's articles)

Leicester_crest.png.aa32a9b0493c934438bd55ffbe727b8c.png 

We see the top right crest when we use magic circles:

training-7.thumb.jpg.95bfb525beea1aba29a407af53b8d1a9.jpg

And we see the bottom left crest on warp tiles! (The inner red circle)

famitsu-warp-tile.jpg.4b284cefbd75f676aafedb52ee66cc2c.jpg

Now you may have noticed the blue circle, which shows our mysterious non-Leicester crest, surrounding the smaller one. We have seen this one before too, with the orb in the sword hilt.

crest-stone.thumb.jpg.5d319e6919379be316850ef35b3ace26.jpg

crest-stone-circle.jpg.ecde3a1b2bbf93168ce68eb2e612e91b.jpg

What does it all mean? I don't know! I just think it's interesting seeing the crests dotted in these places, and I'm also frustrated that absolutely no information on their relation to the plot has been expounded upon since E3.

Oh, interesting. I didn't notice that they combined two crests for the warp tile.

Good observation. So maybe there will be some more combinations of crests for other purposes.

(Maybe the crest in the inner circle simply just shows to wich crest you will warp.)

Since we all know that that the crests are to blame and that they are most likely important to the plot, I think we might not learn too much about them until later down the release countdown.

It might not be coincidence that we see Leicester Alliance crests prominently, but I think the other crests are equally important.

I hope we get a story trailer to clear up the questions we have about these crests.

Right now we only know them to be “tokens of the goddess's power” which is really... open ended.

One thing that we may be able to infer from these pictures is that magic in Fodlan is powered by the crests, seeing as its in both the warp tiles and the magic circles.

Edited by Jakalak

It's a bit strange how this sort of implies that Leicester was where Fodlan's magic originated yet Adrestia is the one that's pupils are associated with using magic? I'm predicting that magic in general in Fódlan originated from Leicester Lords experimenting with the divine power of the crests they were given, I highly doubt any of this will be touched upon in the game mind you but it's cool to speculate

9 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

It's a bit strange how this sort of implies that Leicester was where Fodlan's magic originated yet Adrestia is the one that's pupils are associated with using magic? I'm predicting that magic in general in Fódlan originated from Leicester Lords experimenting with the divine power of the crests they were given, I highly doubt any of this will be touched upon in the game mind you but it's cool to speculate

I'm guessing that Alliance seceded from Adrestia. After all, they appear to have an thing against royalty if you go by how the Alliance works.

I think its more likely than not the crests are a set of icons with a shared history rather than anything that originates from the current political situation on Fodlan. For example the Star & Crescent has been used in many contexts historically, but is now taken as a symbol for Islam and is in a number of national flags (largely due to the Ottomans). Or how the Green, Gold, and Red of Ethiopia found its way into many post colonial national flags of Africa due to Ethiopia being a beacon of African Independence for some time.

17 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

8 hours ago, Armchair General said:

I'm guessing that Alliance seceded from Adrestia. After all, they appear to have an thing against royalty if you go by how the Alliance works.

I think this is the most likely conclusion as the Alliance is noted to be the newest among the three nations, which means they had to have come from somewhere. Not only that but Claude and Edelgard's surnames are typologically the same, and that might have to do with a shared linguistic, cultural and/or historical background.