Why do you think Jeralt left the Knights of Seiros?

I know it's still pretty early for theories, but if anyone has any interesting idea as to who or what made Jeralt leave the Knights of Seiros and start a mercenary company, I would be delighted to read! Also, if you believe that he is Byleth's biological father.

2 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

Maybe it has something to do with his wifes "unknown" death I do believe that's gonna play a huge role especially to Byleths lineage of who their mother is especially to the church.

I was actually thinking the same! That mayhaps he killed Byleth's mother somehow and felt bad for the child so he decided to protect him after all.

Maybe he had some problems with someone else in the knights, and decided to step down before it became a bigger issue. Something similar to what happened to Halcyon, but he isn't actually in fear of his life. This person then leads to the knights becoming a bit corrupted so when we join the academy he returns to the knights to keep an eye on him.

2 hours ago, Lemon Mystery said:

I was actually thinking the same! That mayhaps he killed Byleth's mother somehow and felt bad for the child so he decided to protect him after all.

Would IS really copy Greil? Really? I hope not...

32 minutes ago, YingofDarkness said:

Maybe he had some problems with someone else in the knights, and decided to step down before it became a bigger issue. Something similar to what happened to Halcyon, but he isn't actually in fear of his life. This person then leads to the knights becoming a bit corrupted so when we join the academy he returns to the knights to keep an eye on him.

Don't know who Halcyon is but I can second this. Maybe the Church and the knights started doing things he found questionable so he left. He sticks around and waits for shit to go down.

Edited by Dragoncat

11 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Don't know who Halcyon is but I can second this. Maybe the Church and the knights started doing things he found questionable so he left. He sticks around and waits for shit to go down.

Halcyon was the sage in SoV who Celica met in the Sage's Hamlet/ Conrad's caretaker after the fire in the villa.

He was also a member of the Duma Faithful, but IIRC Jedah drove him out.

1 minute ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Halcyon was the sage in SoV who Celica met in the Sage's Hamlet/ Conrad's caretaker after the fire in the villa.

He was also a member of the Duma Faithful, but IIRC Jedah drove him out.

Thanks, I forgot about him.

He went home to be a family man.

That's not a meme. I think he felt sorry for some brat and quit the order to take care of him since he doesn't have a wife at home to drop the burden on. And making a mercenary company is easy with a Home-turned-office.

1. Get's sent on a mission to eliminate some threat to the Church. Finds it's a mysterious woman who has a newborn or is preggo. Learns some truth about the Church that upends his world, covers up for her and leaves the Church in order to take care of her and the kid and ensure the Church doesn't find out they got away.
  2. He is sent on a mission and either kills said woman or she dies of sickness leaving behind her child. Jeralt is given the duty of taking care of this special child by the Church and leaves in order to limit suspicion about their involvement or the importance of this child.
  3. Simply fell in love with a woman, leaves just to be with her, she dies and he raises their kid. Never questions the Church one way or the other. Nothing special about any of it.

59 minutes ago, Enduin said:
  1. Get's sent on a mission to eliminate some threat to the Church. Finds it's a mysterious woman who has a newborn or is preggo. Learns some truth about the Church that upends his world, covers up for her and leaves the Church in order to take care of her and the kid and ensure the Church doesn't find out they got away.
  2. He is sent on a mission and either kills said woman or she dies of sickness leaving behind her child. Jeralt is given the duty of taking care of this special child by the Church and leaves in order to limit suspicion about their involvement or the importance of this child.
  3. Simply fell in love with a woman, leaves just to be with her, she dies and he raises their kid. Never questions the Church one way or the other. Nothing special about any of it.

All three of those could work! To be honest I really like the first one.

1 minute ago, Armchair General said:

I'm guessing that he got tired of fighting a seemingly pointless war waged by the church.

That could also be a thing! I think it's kind of too simple for fire emblem though. Maybe. Sometimes the unexpected happens

Probably didn't want to deal with corruption in the knights, like was the case with Haar and Shiharam, who ended up defecting to Daein.

Maybe there's a vow of celibacy among the Knights of Seiros, so he left to get married?

I would think there was a disagreement with the higher-ups, especially if they're corrupt, but I doubt they'd be eager to welcome him back if that was the case. Would the Begnion Senate have welcomed back Haar and Shiharam? Would King Ashnard have welcomed back General Gawain? So, if it was due to corruption, he either must have kept his mouth shut about it, or there was a change in management. 

Honestly, I think it's as simple as he wanted to get married and the two conflicted but he chose marriage over the church. I don't think he would willingly go back to the church if he had some big mission to kill Byleth's mother who he ended up falling in love or because the church was corrupt. Though he could also just be going back because he is a mercenary and just wants money, though I believe the former more. Obviously the game could turn the whole thing around tho lol.

Guest Dia

Why Jeralt left the Church of Seiros ?

I think the devs will Keep it rather simple :

Jeralt fought for the church because they followed a , by his view, noble Goal. But things changed. Maybe the methods the church used to "maintain" peace grew more and more "morally wrong". At some Point he could not stand the ways of the church anymore and so he left the church. Before Jeralt left this "Byleth" semms to cause potential Trouble for the church. So the church declared "Byleth" as a great danger who Needs to be eliminated.

Thus Jeralt took Byleth with him to protect him from the church. -> Since Byleth later becomes a teacher on an academy (ruled by the very same church Seiros) because of his powers , Jeralt will join the church once again . He wants to protect Byleth and wants to know what exactly causes the Changes in the church of Seiros.

Since the Church seems to be the "World Police" for all 3 nations , it would make sense that they cause Trouble (knowingly or unknowingly)

Sorry for the wall of text.   

1 hour ago, Guest Dia said:

Why Jeralt left the Church of Seiros ?

I think the devs will Keep it rather simple :

Jeralt fought for the church because they followed a , by his view, noble Goal. But things changed. Maybe the methods the church used to "maintain" peace grew more and more "morally wrong". At some Point he could not stand the ways of the church anymore and so he left the church. Before Jeralt left this "Byleth" semms to cause potential Trouble for the church. So the church declared "Byleth" as a great danger who Needs to be eliminated.

Thus Jeralt took Byleth with him to protect him from the church. -> Since Byleth later becomes a teacher on an academy (ruled by the very same church Seiros) because of his powers , Jeralt will join the church once again . He wants to protect Byleth and wants to know what exactly causes the Changes in the church of Seiros.

Since the Church seems to be the "World Police" for all 3 nations , it would make sense that they cause Trouble (knowingly or unknowingly)

Sorry for the wall of text.   

Why would they accept Byleth to teach at the academy if he was seen as a threat though?