Why do you think Jeralt left the Knights of Seiros?

21 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Maybe there's a vow of celibacy among the Knights of Seiros, so he left to get married?

I would think there was a disagreement with the higher-ups, especially if they're corrupt, but I doubt they'd be eager to welcome him back if that was the case. Would the Begnion Senate have welcomed back Haar and Shiharam? Would King Ashnard have welcomed back General Gawain? So, if it was due to corruption, he either must have kept his mouth shut about it, or there was a change in management. 

This makes a lot of sense. Jeralt doesn't seem to have any similarities with Byleth though, and I am not just talking about the hair. Their clothing is completely different and I think that's intentional.

3 minutes ago, Lemon Mystery said:

Why would they accept Byleth to teach at the academy if he was seen as a threat though?

My thinking is that Byleth's mother could have been seen as some threat, Jeralt is sent to eliminate her but she has a child or pregnant when he finds her. Jeralt learns of some truths about the Church and decides to protect them. Either she dies then and there and he covers up the fact there was a child or he covers up the fact that she wasn't eliminated and shortly there after retires to protect them. Then she dies sometime after or he just takes care of Byleth alone from the start.

Fast forward ~20 years and the Church doesn't know of Byleth at all aside form the fact that Jeralt apparently had a kid after he left. Byleth gets powers and the Church takes an interest in them as a result. They may have suspicions but if Jeralt is at all capable they're probably not fully clued in. And in the event they do know who Byleth is exactly once they get their powers the fact that they're completely naive to the Church may make them think they can manipulate and use Byleth for their own ends. Their Mother may have been a threat because of what she knew, but since Byleth was raised by Jeralt and is ignorant to the true actions or intentions of the Church could be seen as more pliable for their purposes and not someone they need to eliminate immediately.

Guest Dia
13 minutes ago, Lemon Mystery said:

Why would they accept Byleth to teach at the academy if he was seen as a threat though?

Because they did not realize it right away. Byleth is seen as a threat AFTER the Story is 3/4 over.  That and they may not know that he is the son of a mother who had These Kind of powers. Jeralt may be the father or he may be someone who knew Byleths mother personally and wants to protect her child. -> That would explain why he left the church. To disguise Byleths origins.

And as soon as Byleths teaches at the academy Jeralt joins the church again to stay in touch with both ; the church and Byleth.

10 minutes ago, Enduin said:

My thinking is that Byleth's mother could have been seen as some threat, Jeralt is sent to eliminate her but she has a child or pregnant when he finds her. Jeralt learns of some truths about the Church and decides to protect them. Either she dies then and there and he covers up the fact there was a child or he covers up the fact that she wasn't eliminated and shortly there after retires to protect them. Then she dies sometime after or he just takes care of Byleth alone from the start.

Fast forward ~20 years and the Church doesn't know of Byleth at all aside form the fact that Jeralt apparently had a kid after he left. Byleth gets powers and the Church takes an interest in them as a result. They may have suspicions but if Jeralt is at all capable they're probably not fully clued in. And in the event they do know who Byleth is exactly once they get their powers the fact that they're completely naive to the Church may make them think they can manipulate and use Byleth for their own ends. Their Mother may have been a threat because of what she knew, but since Byleth was raised by Jeralt and is ignorant to the true actions or intentions of the Church could be seen as more pliable for their purposes and not someone they need to eliminate immediately.

That is what I meant. Man I am a slow writer.

1 hour ago, Lemon Mystery said:

This makes a lot of sense. Jeralt doesn't seem to have any similarities with Byleth though, and I am not just talking about the hair. Their clothing is completely different and I think that's intentional.

Biological father and son can look nothing alike. My dad and I look nothing alike. There's nothing unrealistic about it. 

As for why their clothing is different, perhaps Byleth is going through an emo teen phase? In all seriousness, different tastes, different combat roles, Byleth trying to look more like a professor to the future rulers of Fodlan; there are a number of different possible reasons. 

4 hours ago, Lemon Mystery said:

I'd guess they just look very different because they likely started building their designs from Greil and Ike in PoR who didn't really look similar either. Byleth ends up with a more formal look due to his eventual teacher role since they didn't want to give him a mercenary outfit just for a prologue.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:34 PM, vanguard333 said:

Biological father and son can look nothing alike. My dad and I look nothing alike. There's nothing unrealistic about it. 

Agreed. Kids don't have to look like their parents. I think Jeralt left the Knights because he got into an argument with a coworker and wanted to leave without causing further strife in the team.

Edited by PrincessAlyson

On 5/4/2019 at 3:34 PM, vanguard333 said:

Maybe there's a vow of celibacy among the Knights of Seiros, so he left to get married?

I would think there was a disagreement with the higher-ups, especially if they're corrupt, but I doubt they'd be eager to welcome him back if that was the case. Would the Begnion Senate have welcomed back Haar and Shiharam? Would King Ashnard have welcomed back General Gawain? So, if it was due to corruption, he either must have kept his mouth shut about it, or there was a change in management. 

On 5/5/2019 at 8:48 AM, ΔZZ said:

Honestly, I think it's as simple as he wanted to get married and the two conflicted but he chose marriage over the church. I don't think he would willingly go back to the church if he had some big mission to kill Byleth's mother who he ended up falling in love or because the church was corrupt. Though he could also just be going back because he is a mercenary and just wants money, though I believe the former more. Obviously the game could turn the whole thing around tho lol.

Yeah, I could be wrong and wouldn't be surprised if I am, but it just seems odd that if Jeralt left the church because he learned they were corrupt/evil, that he'd then be joining back up with them. And be allowed back. And he's also apparently okay with his child working for the church too (remember, they run the academy and the knights sometimes work directly besides the students.)

I know we're pretty much all expecting the Church of Seiros to be secretly (or not so secretly) evil and so it's natural to assume something sinister related to his departure, but I honestly hope IS goes a different route.

11 hours ago, Mad_Scientist said:

Yeah, I could be wrong and wouldn't be surprised if I am, but it just seems odd that if Jeralt left the church because he learned they were corrupt/evil, that he'd then be joining back up with them. And be allowed back. And he's also apparently okay with his child working for the church too (remember, they run the academy and the knights sometimes work directly besides the students.)

I know we're pretty much all expecting the Church of Seiros to be secretly (or not so secretly) evil and so it's natural to assume something sinister related to his departure, but I honestly hope IS goes a different route.

To be honest, I was suggesting the vow of celibacy thing as a joke. As far as I recall, there hasn't really been any mention of vows of celibacy even among priesthoods in Fire Emblem, let alone orders of knights in service to a priesthood.

Don't get me wrong; it's certainly possible as a reason, but it is a little unlikely. 

It's also possible that he left because of prejudices or conflicts within the church, "but now times have changed and [the church] wants [him] back! [They'll] even allow [Byleth] to become a professor!" is what they tell him at the very least; whether or not it's entirely true will be explored over the course of the game. 

1 minute ago, Jayvee94 said:

Because his wife is a descendant of "Liberation King" Nemesis. And she's dead. Let that speak for itself

I think there's less and less reason to cling to the "Byleth's deceased mother is actually the important parent", or "Byleth was adopted" theories as time goes on. As pointed by others, Jeralt and allegedly Nemesis have very similar looks, and we know Jeralt is one of the strongest warriors in the land and will have some role in the plot. Plus at this point, Byleth being related to "Nemesis" can no longer be a big plot twist, it's way too easy to figure out from promotional material alone.

That doesn't mean the mother isn't important, but if Byleth got anything meaningful from her, I'm willing to say it's something else.

18 hours ago, Cysx said:

I think there's less and less reason to cling to the "Byleth's deceased mother is actually the important parent", or "Byleth was adopted" theories as time goes on. As pointed by others, Jeralt and allegedly Nemesis have very similar looks, and we know Jeralt is one of the strongest warriors in the land and will have some role in the plot. Plus at this point, Byleth being related to "Nemesis" can no longer be a big plot twist, it's way too easy to figure out from promotional material alone.

That doesn't mean the mother isn't important, but if Byleth got anything meaningful from her, I'm willing to say it's something else.

Maybe Jeralt is the Liberation King (or the Liberation King was some kind of Evil Counterpart of Jeralt), Jeralt is actually secretly unintentionally immortal thanks to the ??? Crest, and Byleth's mother is simply a woman who managed to convince him that starting a family is worth it even if it means he will outlive all of them. Jeralt's rejoined the Knights of Seiros to investigate the bad guys and find a way to regain his mortality. 

It could be like Al's backstory where his mom was a dragon of some sorts and was sealed away by his actual father Nemesis(or not) then Byleth was found by Geralt and was raised as his son from now until three houses started up. And maybe Sothis is his sister or aunt who was sent to watch over him.

Theory: Seiros  x Nemesis = Byleth and Sothis

I'm more inclined to believe Jeralt himself is the descendant of Nemesis, rather than Byleth's mother, perhaps Byleth's mother was a priestess of Seiros, who upon realising that her child had the Crest of ???, was executed by the Church for mistakenly thinking that it was his mother who had the Crest of the enemy. Jeralt runs away with the baby and became a mercenary, and only came back to the Knights when Byleth is offered to teach at Garreg Mach, and stays close to protect him knowing how the Church may react to his heritage.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:31 PM, Onestep said:

A vow of celibacy would prevent us from S-supporting any hot nuns, and we can't have that.

This post was brought to you by Nintendo. S-supports print money™!

It is no coincidence that the letter "S" and the dollar sign "$" look so similar.

1 hour ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I'm more inclined to believe Jeralt himself is the descendant of Nemesis, rather than Byleth's mother, perhaps Byleth's mother was a priestess of Seiros, who upon realising that her child had the Crest of ???, was executed by the Church for mistakenly thinking that it was his mother who had the Crest of the enemy. Jeralt runs away with the baby and became a mercenary, and only came back to the Knights when Byleth is offered to teach at Garreg Mach, and stays close to protect him knowing how the Church may react to his heritage.

That doesn't make sense why would they come back to the church, or why church invites them in at the first place, especially since Byleth's crest isn't a secret at all.