One thing I already don't like about Three Houses

Guest Dia
20 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Really? I don’t see it. Danganronpa’s artstyle is very distinctive and not replicated easily. If anything kozaki’s artstyle is closer to danganronpa if you ask me. One of the hall marks of DR’s artstyle is it’s very pop-up story aesthetic combined with a somewhat twisted but pleasing anime style giving it a feeling of familiarity yet uncanniness at the same time which is a feeling I don’t get with the 3h art style 

You are probably right. Still.... I cant get that feeling off. Maybe I am wierd ? :sweatdrop:

In any case I hope that the art style matches the Overall Story and gameplay (with character Backgrounds and all).

Man I really want another drop of new Information about that game.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, berriicoco said:

To be honest, I will never understand the “Fire Emblem is too anime” complaint. This franchise has always used the anime aesthetic, why are people complaining now (Or when Awakening first came out, I guess)? 

The FE art styles always reflected the anime aesthetic of the decade. FE 1-5 looks exactly  like the 90s anime I grew up with. The GBA and Tellius games look like the ones from 2000s. Just because they’re from a different time period, doesn’t mean they’ve never been anime. Anime always retains its basic art style which all FE games have. 

If I showed my friends and family members who don’t watch anime Fire Emblem and ask them if this is anime, they’d laugh and say: ‘Of course!’

Frankly speaking, this whole “this game looks like anime” is pretty nonsensical in my eyes. Sorry for being blunt.

Because people can no longer disguise the fact that FE is a game made by a Japanese design team, distributed by a Japanese company, and is primarily aimed at a Japanese audience. It's a form of othering and not having to admit that FE has ALWAYS been like this. Clash of generations and all that

7 hours ago, know_naim said:

I would kill for a Fire Emblem with Soejima art. TH doesn't even come close to the stylishness of Persona. Don't know why people keep referencing P5 apart from Edelgards red thights. You have a point if you say "Three Houses looks worse then Persona 5" but that sentence stands true with 99% of jRPGs imo.

Spoiler

Byleth-M.jpg

kisspng-shin-megami-tensei-persona-4-per

as everyone can see, the drawing style is quite similar.

there may be some small differences with the eyes/hair in terms of reflexes and shades, but the drawing style is almost identical between the two, that can't be denied.

then again, some like it, some don't, some don't even care. it's always a matter of preferences, so it's pointless to discuss about it.

7 hours ago, know_naim said:

I'd also argue that there is absolutely nothing unique about pre-Kozaki Fire Emblems and the current style is more in line with previous entries, hence "boring" in the eyes of folks who got used to FEA/FEF.

nope, the difference between drawing styles have always been there. but if you don't want to acknowlegde it, that's another story.

while there are some familiar designs between games, i believe there's currently a main "popular" style for every era: NES with late 80's styles, SNES with 90's styles, then the GBA games, the DS ones, the GameCube-to-Wii titles, moving onward to the 3DS with Awakening/Fates, ending with Echoes.

on a side note: there's also been different artists working at once on a single game, as it happened before with Shadow Dragon for the DS( Masamune Shirow as guest artist for the instructions manual ), and Awakening for the 3DS, featuring many different artists that created artworks for the einherjar cards.

3 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Really? I don’t see it. Danganronpa’s artstyle is very distinctive and not replicated easily. If anything kozaki’s artstyle is closer to danganronpa if you ask me. One of the hall marks of DR’s artstyle is it’s very pop-up story aesthetic combined with a somewhat twisted but pleasing anime style giving it a feeling of familiarity yet uncanniness at the same time which is a feeling I don’t get with the 3h art style 

+1 to this. I don't see it AT ALL. Rui Komatsuzaki's style extremely distinctive, messy with flat non-bright colors. Very easy to distinguish... especially the eyes. The FE3H art style is as far from Danganronpa as it could get.

Danganronpa_Reload_official_art_MakotoandHajime.jpg

Danganronpa_Reload_official_art_Sonia_and_Sayaka.jpg

Eh, its not really a Fire Emblem thing, but most JRPGs in general are similar to anime. Pokemon, Mario, Pheonix Wright Etc. Even Kingdom Hearts has it, even though the characters cross over with Disney, an American company with a very different art style. All have designs that are similar to anime. Though I do prefer Kozaki's work over the other artists. The cutscenes in Fates were handled beautifully, especially with the lighting. Kind of sad that 2D seems to be the thing now. 

1 hour ago, Fenreir said:

as everyone can see, the drawing style is quite similar.

there may be some small differences with the eyes/hair in terms of reflexes and shades, but the drawing style is almost identical between the two, that can't be denied.

Those differences aren't small.  Especially the shading.

At least everyone put my thoughts out saving me trouble when stated it's never "too anime" when the series literally is inspired off it day 1 like EVERY JRPG series always have been always will be. Then and now everything evolves to meet today's standards and its made by JAPANESE Devs from a JAPANESE company design/aim primarily to the JAPANESE audience of course this is not anything special.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

18 hours ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

Just by looking at Three Houses, I can tell that something's wrong - it's all flat-out anime.

Now don't get me wrong, I like anime, but not everything HAS to be anime. I know there was anime in Shadows of Valentina, but I honestly haven't seen much of it. I've only really noticed now (don't judge me).

This is something that I've thought about quite a bit. The complaint that fire emblem is becoming "too anime" is sort of deceptive because it implies that making something more anime-like is somehow wrong or going to result in a sharp decline in quality which probably isn't the case. I think that when someone complains about Fire Emblem looking "too anime" I think they are actually complaining about the games looking generic. I understand the concern even though it doesn't bother me that much anymore since it isn't at the core of what makes the Fire Emblem games great. Who knows, maybe the art style will grow on you after a while.

Okay everyone, going off the replies, I've detected some misunderstandings so I would like to clear a few things up:

This is a generic anime style to me:

Related image

This is a screenshot from Fire Emblem Warriors:

Image result for fire emblem warriors

Notice the difference?

Fire Emblem is far from the "generic style" in the later games. I knew that the early FE games were anime, but that was BEFORE they got their semi-realistic 3D style. I actually like Three Houses as much as I like Windows 10, I reckon it's going to be great, I even liked the battle animations showing all those random soldiers behind your battlers, which looked pretty cool. The character designs were pretty cool too.

But the art-style is a very small annoyance. I have Windows 10 on my new computer and I quite like it - I just don't like the interface graphics - I miss the Windows 7 taskbar, windows, and icons, and I just miss FE's unique style that they'd developed over the years. That's all. I still think I'll enjoy the gameplay - it looks quite promising. This is the only "problem" I have, and hopefully the only problem I WILL have... Just like Windows 10 and its alien graphics.

2 hours ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

What? The Pokemon style is very distinct (and looks nothing like TH so....) . I don't even know how you're judging something to be generic and something to be "semi-realistic".

Edited by NekoKnight

To be honest, while the graphics of FE 3H look mediocre imo, the art style is a lot like echoes was, maybe a bit more cartoon y but far from having uh...a certain cutscene introducing a certain character in fates birthright...but I won't link it here for obvious reasons ;) So yeah, I love the art style personally.

Overall though, I'm extremely excited for this game, as it seems to be taking elements from every fire emblem game, rather than leaning exclusively on any one era of fire emblem!

Edited by Dinar87

48 minutes ago, Dinar87 said:

far from having uh...a certain cutscene introducing a certain character in fates birthright...but I won't link it here for obvious reasons

As someone who watches a lot of anime to the point where it can be considered unhealthy. I’ll have you know that cutscene is actually extremely tame compared to most of the stuff you see every new anime season.

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

As someone who watches a lot of anime to the point where it can be considered unhealthy. I’ll have you know that cutscene is actually extremely tame compared to most of the stuff you see every new anime season.

Sure by anime standards...but for fire emblem standards too?

I dont see this style as generic in the slightest. Its got a unique look to it, as someone who has a lot of JRPGs and anime series under his belt. And its certainly a new style for Fire Emblem itself, which I think is more important than anything. As long as the new style is a new look for FE, I dont really care, along with it looking nice that is. and as far as that goes, I think it looks fine.

This is a new look for FE, and I think it works well. The characters all have rather unique designs to them, a lot stand out, even across the series. Seriously, go look at some of our old designs, they start blending together a bit. How many blond haired red armored cavalry can we have before they kind of turn into the same guy, different name?

THe characters have a unique look here, some of those unique looks are great, some......not so much. But overall I cant really say its generic, its far from it, especially from a FE standpoint.

8 hours ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

Okay everyone, going off the replies, I've detected some misunderstandings so I would like to clear a few things up:

Related image

This is a screenshot from Fire Emblem Warriors:

Image result for fire emblem warriors

Notice the difference?

Fire Emblem is far from the "generic style" in the later games. I knew that the early FE games were anime, but that was BEFORE they got their semi-realistic 3D style. I actually like Three Houses as much as I like Windows 10, I reckon it's going to be great, I even liked the battle animations showing all those random soldiers behind your battlers, which looked pretty cool. The character designs were pretty cool too.

But the art-style is a very small annoyance. I have Windows 10 on my new computer and I quite like it - I just don't like the interface graphics - I miss the Windows 7 taskbar, windows, and icons, and I just miss FE's unique style that they'd developed over the years. That's all. I still think I'll enjoy the gameplay - it looks quite promising. This is the only "problem" I have, and hopefully the only problem I WILL have... Just like Windows 10 and its alien graphics.

I know you did not just compare a screenshot from an anime that aired in the 90s to a game that released in a current gen console two years ago.

Bruh. No matter what people will try to say, Fire Emblem is and always will be “anime”. Now, I agreee the art this time around isn’t the best, but the whole “2Animu4Me” complaint is hollow. Fire Emblem’s always been this way. If you’re going to talk smack, at least have the decency to talk smack about something with common sense.

Well... looks like I worded it badly - when I said "generic anime" I meant the cartoony style with the cartoony shading, etc. I used it very broadly to refer to the common anime artstyle. Yeah, that's what I should be calling it. "Common anime".

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

I know you did not just compare a screenshot from an anime that aired in the 90s to a game that released in a current gen console two years ago.

So you want a more recent screenshot? Well... I was kinda under pressure to find a screenshot at the time sooo...

Related image

As you can see, that is a screenshot of the common anime art style that I'm referring to. The screenshot of FE Warriors STILL sports a much different art style and isn't the common anime I'm talking about...

6 hours ago, Roland said:

Bruh. No matter what people will try to say, Fire Emblem is and always will be “anime”. Now, I agreee the art this time around isn’t the best, but the whole “2Animu4Me” complaint is hollow. Fire Emblem’s always been this way. If you’re going to talk smack, at least have the decency to talk smack about something with common sense.

Again, it's not that it's too anime, but the anime displaces the OTHER art style that they had. It's more that I will miss the art style they had in games like Awakening, Fates, Warriors, and even some of the earlier games. I DON'T DISLIKE THE ANIME PART I JUST DISLIKE THE ABSENCE OF THE ART STYLE USED IN THE GAMES I JUST MENTIONED... it's the same reason why I miss Windows 7 - because its interface style isn't there in Windows 10.

Now have I cleared things up? I better have... hopefully...

I think your problem is that you simply don’t like the new artstyle of 3H because as everyone said, fe has always been anime inspired so using that as your reason for preferring awakening/fates/warriors when many people would say the same thing about them that you are about 3H, just sounds like you are trying to give a reason for disliking it when it’s okay to just dislike it

Hey, I don't dislike Three Houses, and I'm not complaining about it... it's just a criticism. And I don't dislike the new artstyle, I just kinda miss the old artstyle and its associated charms. And I know FE has always been anime-inspired, but they did eventually develop a more original artstyle, and I'm kinda missing that artstyle's uniqueness. That's all.

This makes no sense because Fire Emblem has always been anime. It's okay not liking the new style though, but the online fanbase complained a lot of Fates designs, so in response they decided to tone down the more flamboyant aesthetic to appeal the ones who criticized. It's not possible to please everyone.

As for Three Houses art style I don't think it's really "new". It resembles FE 6, 7, 8 art. I'm not big fan of it but also I don't hate it as well.  I think it's just a matter to get used to the new style