FE16 VA Discussion

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

What is the problem with Chris Niosi?

I’ll basically answer with the same response I did with another person who asked.

7 hours ago, Silverly said:

There are links to the allegations on page 13 as I was on the same boat as you, but a TL;DR would be he was a very manipulative and otherwise unpleasant boyfriend according to some statements from his exes as well as accounts from others that he has a big ego.

4 minutes ago, Silverly said:

I’ll basically answer with the same response I did with another person who asked.

I see. Well, I guess Patrick Seitz really liked him, or he wouldn’t get the role. Maybe some of the stories are exaggerated slightly?

1 minute ago, ZeManaphy said:

I see. Well, I guess Patrick Seitz really liked him, or he wouldn’t get the role. Maybe some of the stories are exaggerated slightly?

I don't want to get too deeply in to it, but I'd say it's likely there's more behind the scenes. His ex doesn't sound like someone playing with a full deck either. Not trying to make any particular judgment, but it's a mess all around.

And frankly, being a jerk isn't really something to lose his role over.

I see people saying they'll play either F!Byteth or with Japanese Voices.

Because that's going to accomplish so much.

I know I sound like a complete asshole here, but the fact is that "boycotting" English M!Bytleth isn't going to do anything.

3 minutes ago, Hunter Nightblood said:

I see people saying they'll play either F!Byteth or with Japanese Voices.

Because that's going to accomplish so much.

I know I sound like a complete asshole here, but the fact is that "boycotting" English M!Bytleth isn't going to do anything.

It's like they say, there ain't a cure for stupid.

Welp, it's official. Chris Niosi voices Male Byleth. Oh well. Like I said before, don't let this ruin your enjoyment of the game. I know that's easier said than done, but it'll be less of a headace...and restrictive.

I guess what some have said fits here.   "Separate the character from the VA

Chris Niosi voices Byleth, but he isn't Byleth. And Byleth isn't Chris Niosi.

If you dislike Chris Niosi, dislike Chris Niosi. Not Byleth...unless you don't like Byleth...then you can dislike them both. :P:

Now then...Colleen O'Shaughnessey(Colleen Villard)...wonder who she is...

*finds out she voiced Alicia Melchiott*

...Ok, you have my attention...:Rei:

Edited by Busterman64

For the record, I think Chris Niosi was fine as Therion and Mattias in Octopath traveler.

My beef is that ex thing, and his role as the main character of YIIK, which is probably one of the most offensive games I've ever seen.

53 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

More then likely neither him, Cup of Tea, or Nintendo knew about this. The allegations didn't come out and get traction until recently and he likely was cast into the role months beforehand, so they probably didn't even have an idea this was the case until we caught wind of it. 

6 hours ago, Busterman64 said:

Despite what I said earlier in this topic, I do try my best to give the benefit of the doubt. It's just...sometimes it can be a hard call to make. 

It doesn't help that a couple of people in the past few months have been revealed to do some messed up stuff. And with everything else going on in the world...it kinda puts a lot people on edge. 

With that said however...it's definitely a time where we gonna be as level-headed as we can and not assume things. Easier said than done, but we have too.

Ok, heavy stuff aside...the answers to Male Byleth will most likely be revealed shortly... 

I definitely agree. It can be difficult when things like this happen more than once in a short time period 😞

mod edit don't double post

1 hour ago, Sentinel07 said:

It's like they say, there ain't a cure for stupid.

Oh, the irony.

Of course it's not going to change anything. No one expects it to! "Making a statement" isn't why some people no longer want to play in English as male Byleth. Some players would just rather play the game in a way that lets them avoid hearing his voice, since the options are there.

The news doesn't change my plans to play the game in English as male Byleth, but if other people feel differently now then that's their choice. They've paid $60, they can play the game however they want to for whatever reason they decide.

Edited by Parrhesia

12 minutes ago, gilbert_prosnirav said:

Oh, the irony.

Of course it's not going to change anything. No one expects it to! "Making a statement" isn't why some people no longer want to play in English as male Byleth. Some players would just rather play the game in a way that lets them avoid hearing his voice, since the options are there.

The news doesn't change my plans to play the game in English as male Byleth, but if other people feel differently now then that's their choice. They've paid $60, they can play the game however they want to for whatever reason they decide.

Everyone is free to do as they please in this situation, but I will say personally that I feel it's a bit unfair to condemn the whole English dub just for one man. There are many VAs who have poured their efforts into this dub such as Chris Hackney, Ben Diskin, Tara Platt, Joe Zieja, Cherami Leigh, and so on, and all of them are good workers who seem to genuinely enjoy the work they've done. To ignore that work and switch to the Japanese dub just because of one bad apple just doesn't seem right to me, they likely didn't know a thing about this like the rest of us, so why should they get the same cold shoulder that's only directed at one of them?

But that's everyone's choice, I won't force them to do something they don't feel comfortable with, but I do wish that they'd take alternatives that didn't blow off the work of many just for the actions of a few. 

If any member of the cast was going to be kind of a cunt, it's pretty convenient it's the guy whose presence you can erase entirely from the game at character creation. But, yeah, he was cast before any of this was known, and they aren't gonna replace him, like... a fortnight? before release? So.

Apparently, this guy also voiced Reigen in Mob Physco 100. Love the character. I think this is a scenario where the guy may be pretty crappy I'm not gonna let this affect my enjoyment of the game.

Letting 1 bad apple ruin my plans for a $60 game I already bought would be pointless.

5 hours ago, Corrobin said:

My beef is that ex thing, and his role as the main character of YIIK, which is probably one of the most offensive games I've ever seen

His behavior towards his ex is certainly something you can blame him for. There's always an argument for separating the art and artist but there's also an argument to be had for not doing so since artist do influence the art they partake in. 

I'm not at all familiar with YIIK so I might be totally off base but I don't think you can really blame a voice actor for the content on a video game they lend their voice to. Unless he partook in the writing of the offensive material he was likely completely separate from that business. It would be akin to blaming Xander Mobus for Persona 5 having some homophobic elements. 

On 7/21/2019 at 3:49 AM, redlight said:

DC Douglas is still fine in Heroes after his women's bathroom recordings

On 7/21/2019 at 4:22 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Wait what? I thought the most controversial thing Douglas ever did was drunk dialing the tea party. 

Just popping in to clear this up: DC's bathroom video was just a self-deprecating joke where he accidentally went into the women's bathroom, noticed tampons, and then made a video that consisted of him embarassedly mouthing that he went into the wrong bathroom before cutting to outside the bathroom. He wasn't filming women or doing anything perverted in the video, contrary to the claims of some. I'd suggest to look for the video (DC had the video still up to prove his accusers wrong), but sadly DC got banned on Twitter due to a hater utilizing Twitter's automated report system to get him banned for saying a very vulgar word while quoting someone else, so I dunno if the video's still there.

DC isn't bad if you ask me, though he CAN get vulgar and raunchy against his haters.

Guys, I think we had enough of this chat already, can we please take this somewhere else entirely? It’s giving me a bad taste in my mouth already that a discussion about us guessing who would voice who is derailed completely to “why the fuck is he here?”, we get it already and we don’t have to repeat the same things over and over again

So with all that, grab your Chris Niosi complains, and other topics about him and take them somewhere else already

1 hour ago, Simpsons138 said:

Guys, I think we had enough of this chat already, can we please take this somewhere else entirely? It’s giving me a bad taste in my mouth already that a discussion about us guessing who would voice who is derailed completely to “why the fuck is he here?”, we get it already and we don’t have to repeat the same things over and over again

So with all that, grab your Chris Niosi complains, and other topics about him and take them somewhere else already

Totally agree with you.

So, who do you all think voices Anna?

6 minutes ago, Owain Dark said:

Totally agree with you.

So, who do you all think voices Anna?

Definitely not Karen Strassman. I mean, can you imagine Anna voiced by her at least once? I sure can't.

Edited by NoirCore
Oh wait this isn't Discord

I think it’s Karen again, I’m used to hearing her as Anna that it would be weird if it weren’t her

Also, yeah, Ingrid does sound a bit like Marcella, I hope it’s her as it was refreshing hearing her as Priscilla

I'm just hyped that a Digimon VA is voicing the GHB for 3H's debut banner. That show's my fucking jam and I'm so happy I get to see at least one more VA from my favorite show make it into my favorite game series