FE16 VA Discussion

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, SockPuppet said:

Dang, there’s been a lot of talk that Chris Noosi is Male Byleth, and that he gunned so hard for the role because he wanted to be in smash.

Okay, that's really goddamn stupid.

Firstly, has he not heard the Smash community ever in his life and how they are so sick and tired of getting FE characters who all use swords?

Secondly, what a vain reason to want a role.  He doesn't even care about the game he's actually doing work for, he just wants da bigg gam.  Fuckin' idiot.

Third, why does he just automatically assume that playing as a FE character will net him a role in Smash?  Especially considering the fact that his character barely speaks, they might just make Byleth an assist trophy who's mute.

And fourthly, I laugh that he didn't consider the possibility that he might get disavowed by a good chunk of the industry for having the kind of dirt on him that he has and get replaced before he even gets his precious Smash cameo, if it ever were to come at all.  I don't even care much about Byleth, but I almost want Byleth to make it into smash yet with someone else cast as male Byleth's voice.  That'd be goddamn hilarious.

1 hour ago, BZL8 said:

In regards to “separating the art from the creator”, I personally find it hard to appreciate something made by someone who is a really unpleasant person in real life.

I feel there's a few factors that are... unique in this case.

1. The entire point of the work of this actor was to better himself, rather than to enrich the work he's contributing to.  He seems to have made this role all about himself, and not about adding his voice to a beloved game.
  2. It's much more difficult to separate an actor from their work than it is to separate a graphical or musical artist or writer from their work, as you literally see/hear a piece of said actor in the work whereas the works of painters, musicians (aside from vocalists), and writers are typically detached from the artist.
  3. It's a matter of time period; for example, people today who appreciate Lovecraft's works weren't around when he was alive, so people today find it easier to appreciate his works because the man himself isn't around to sully them (he was a notable bigot, and is often cited as an example of "separating art from the creator").
  4. If a work becomes legendary, it transcends the creator.  One example I can think of is the author of Sherlock Holmes, Sir Doyle, detested the character so much that he attempted in many ways to "slay" him (in one instance he tried to literally kill off Sherlock Holmes in one story) - as most know, such attempts were in vain, and Sherlock Holmes wound up becoming an icon of British literature that would be adapted into many works to follow.  Or there's, again, Lovecraft, whose works of surreal horror were universally appreciated enough that people don't much care he was a bigot.  I don't think male Byleth will come even remotely close to this status - he's an avatar in a Fire Emblem game (already a bad start) who has barely any actual spoken lines.  Aside from that, it seems female Byleth is more popular anyway.

In any case, I feel a lot of people are gonna be with you on this front.  As someone who usually separates art from the creator myself, I don't think I'll be able to fully appreciate the voice of male Byleth now that I know it comes from a showboating asshole.

Even though I strongly dislike male Corrin in particular (female Corrin as well, but slightly less due to some support and design differences), at least his actors are actually respectable people.  When I play him, at least I don't have the nagging thought in the back of mind going, "hey, this voice belongs to an abusive asshole".

In time I might forget all about this, but for now it's kind of a bummer, especially when so many of the other voice actors seem so likable and appreciative of their roles.

13 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Ugh, Chris Niosi is M Byleth? YIIKes.

It's not confirmed yet, it's more just concern over the possibility of it being the case then it actually being the case. 

Thankfully we'll learn soon enough though, the FEH datamine will be done tomorrow night so at worst we should only have a day to wait. 

Edited by Medeus

I don't want this topic to spiral too badly, so I'll just say a couple cents and leave it at that. This changes nothing for me, assuming he has the role. I believe in innocent until proven guilty above all else, and I prefer not to take hearsay as gospel. To me, it's a dangerous precedent to take someone's words on the internet for granted without hard evidence.

So, that's all I have to say on that before moving on. Until such a time, this is just "ho hum" for me.

And another outrage about someone nobody knows about...

I know literally no one of these actors, now thinking that VA fandom is only indirectly linked to FE and the FE community being rather small nobody will in any way, shape or form influence anything regarding the VA of the games.

I have no opinion in the actual matter itself as it's not easy to find what actually happened with whom in a cursory search and it is also not of much interest for me, it's just most people will not really care as long is the VA is good.

EDIT: As Redlight stated below, if these are only unproven accusations I personally would not care even if i knew.

Edited by Lord of Riva

After the James Charles incident I looked like an idiot for automatically believing the allegations. I'll wait for the story to develop and then make my judgement

Nonetheless, if that dude has done the things he's done then fuck him.

Anyways, has he publicly stated that he wants to be in Smash or is it from leaked DMs?

Innocent until proven guilty people, especially on the internet and especially on abusive/sexual matters, people love to jump on the accusation bandwagon.

And even if he is proven guilty, don't expect any reaction from the fans, it may sound weird considering this discussion, but most people don't really care about VAs. They're just the voices behind the characters, I'm pretty sure the great majority of the players don't give a flying fuck about it tbh.

Obviously if it turns out to be true it would be appropriate for Nintendo to hire someone else (for 3H it's obviously too late, but not for any other appearence, be it Heroes or Smash).

btw I don't even know if investigations are underway, if it's not the case we might never know.

Edited by timon

7 minutes ago, timon said:

most people don't really care about VAs. They're just the voices behind the characters, I'm pretty sure the great majority of the players don't give a flying fuck about it tbh.

They care when the voices change.

Sometimes people will go "hey, what happened to that amazing actor/why'd this great actor get replaced by someone really awful?"  Or they'll say "thank god that one awful actor got replaced, his voice was so grating".

One example I can think of is Valkyria Chronicles 4's Squad 7 DLC.  For those unaware, that DLC features the return of characters from the first game.  However, none of the VA's returned.  As a result, about the only voice that really sounds like the original is the one of Isara Gunther, as she was originally voiced by Laura Bailey in the first game but then in VC4 was voiced by Alexis Tipton who seems to have partly taken on the role of a Laura Bailey soundalike.  And if you think people didn't complain about the other voices, then you have another thing coming.

They probably don't care about these actors' lives behind the scenes, but tabloids, hawks, activists, and people involved in the industry do, and such people can cause enough of a shakeup to change actors around, and the common people do notice when actors change, particularly when actors do a poor job of mimicking their predecessors.

They also notice when a big name actor shows up.  People do care to some degree about actors.

In any event, perhaps I was being presumptuous.  It's rather late here.  But with that said, I'm one of those people who has a big shtick against a lot of the entertainment industry specifically because it fostered a lot of abusers and molesters over the years, so I'm probably gonna have a more scornful eye than most with this issue.  And the Smash thing being true wouldn't help.  Hell, if the allegations turn out to be false, I'll still be disappointed over the motive, mostly because I feel works are better when everyone involved are passionate about it.

I did miss all this stuff... was it PROVEN, that he wanted to be Byleth to be in smash? Or is that a claim without real source too? In this case we shouldn't start believing it yet too. Or is there a base for this?

8 minutes ago, PowerCailbur said:

Holy shit I've subscribed to his shitty youtube channel this entire time and I didn't even know. (I don't even remember when or why I did tbh)

40 minutes ago, PowerCailbur said:

this is  a lot of gibberish about Personal relationship stuff.

So, people believe he is an Ass and now after somebody openly shamed him he thinks so as well about himself.

Maybe he is one, maybe it is just pressure through the outrage mob, i can't tell, but i still do not understand what actually has happened?

EDIT: as in, i won't read half a book of this pretty depressive stuff about a person i don't know or care about.

Being a shitty Person (most likely in circumstances, not in all) is not really actionable (and that is good, everybody will be an Ass sometimes). Relationship issues are normally a two way street as well you know.

Edited by Lord of Riva

While I do agree that Chris Niosi did not do the nicest things, I do believe people on the internet are way too trigger happy to call someone an Ass. The same happened with James Charles who proved himself innocent, but not before a huge blow was dealt to his channel, and even now people give him the cold shoulder. I feel like this apology, unlike a lot of apologies like Projared's, is really not that bad. While I do not agree of cutting him of all further work, I do agree that he shouldn't work for at least a while to just let things die down. He did mention his mental health after all. 

However, for allegations like ''He only wanted to be Byleth to be in Smash'' with literally no proof: Don't do this. There is no evidence to suggest this is true, you're just sending him to the stocks. Don't believe everything you hear on the internet. 

Also where do people get that Chris Niosi voices Byleth? He voiced Apollo Justice too if I'm not wrong and they don't really sound alike from what little we have heard from Byleth.

3 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Also where do people get that Chris Niosi voices Byleth? He voiced Apollo Justice too if I'm not wrong and they don't really sound alike from what little we have heard from Byleth.

Apollo Justice is voiced by Orion Acaba.

2 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Apollo Justice is voiced by Orion Acaba.

Oooh I see, i'm not sure how I got that mixed up, sorry about that.

14 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

From what I can gather it's just speculation. There are voice clips of Male Byleth from different press releases (IGN's class video is one of them since Male Byleth was used to represent the commoner class) and people assumed it might be Chris. There's no official word as of this point.

I’m also of the opinion that one is innocent until proven guilty, or at least if the evidence given is substantiated enough. I’m not terribly familiar with Chris Niosi outside of the fact he voiced Karna in Fate: Apocrypha (who I was disappointed that he wasn’t voiced by Xander Mobus), but he seems talented enough. After looking at Niosi’s accusations, at worst he’s... just an asshole? Not that being an asshole is a good thing, of course, just look at Sean Schemmel and Monica Rial. A lot of the relationship stuff I often take with a grain of salt because many times they boil down to a “he said, she said” kind of ordeal, and many times both are equally at fault.  Plus the whole “he voiced Byleth because he wants in on Smash” sounds like a potential lie one of his detractors would say to further smear his image.

In other news, it appears Janice Kawaye and Veronica Taylor are indeed voicing their respective characters, though oddly enough I couldn’t find a statement of any sort.

15 minutes ago, Silverly said:

In other news, it appears Janice Kawaye and Veronica Taylor are indeed voicing their respective characters, though oddly enough I couldn’t find a statement of any sort.

I remember people were speculating that Veronica Taylor was Manuela but I don't know what character Janice Kawaye is speculated to voice?

12 minutes ago, PowerCailbur said:

I remember people were speculating that Veronica Taylor was Manuela but I don't know what character Janice Kawaye is speculated to voice?

Lysithea

Hey guys, EdragonXX uploaded video that focused on the zoom in feature of the game, but also gave nice clean audio of M!Byleth's voice. Give it a listen! (1:12)

Edited by Busterman64

6 minutes ago, Busterman64 said:

Hey guys, EdragonXX uploaded video that focused on the zoom in feature of the game, but also gave nice clean audio of M!Byleth's voice. Give it a listen! (1:12)

Welp, that certainly sounds like Chris.

Oh boy howdy let the drama begin/continue.