Why the dislike for Sophie? She's murdering everyone

Volke29

So, just wrapped up Chapter 29 on hard and hands down, the MVP is Sophie. Went with Silas!Camellia. She maxed out a little bit ago as a lvl 40 Great Lord and I started searching for what to make her next. To my surprise, Sophie got a lot of "mehs" from people, which is crazy. 

Great Lord, lvl 40

• Aether (Use Sol and Luna in succession when attacking) 
  • Trample (+5 damage to non-mounted enemies) 
  • Dual Striker (+3 damage when backing up another attacker)
  • Armored Blow (-10 physical damage when starting an attack) 
  • Mischievous (enemy gets -3 defense and may lose clothing) 
  • Awakening (+30 HIT/CRIT/DODGE when HP is half or less)

Stats: 

• STR: 34
  • MAG: 11
  • SKILL: 36
  • SPD: 35
  • LCK: 30
  • DEF: 27
  • RES: 29 

When paired and given tonics, Sophie is an absolute wrecking machine. I can leave her on the front lines and she'll murder everyone with a stock Killer Lance. Any who. Why the dislike for Sophie? 

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

She's just kinda boring and I'm really not a fan of her design. 

Agreed on that front. She’s pretty much just a combination of Severa and Cynthia(at least based off the supports I’ve read anyway) a fun combination that can lead to some fun and charming moments but she doesn’t carry as much nuance as those two I find. Eh maybe I just need to read more supports.

48 minutes ago, Volke29 said:

When paired and given tonics

First of all, "they're good when they're given stat-boosters" is never a good caveat, and secondly you can't just show endgame stats as proof of how good a unit is.  I could show you how I got Est to cap in every single stat by endgame in New Mystery of the Emblem, but that doesn't demonstrate how I had to abuse the arena and funnel kills her way to get her to that point or how she was always on the cusp of getting killed until she caught up with everyone else.

Now, I'm not saying Sophie is bad, but...

For one, kids in general kinda got the big shaft.  I mean, they still have some advantages over parents, but they aren't as significant as in Awakening and in some ways the adults inherited some of the little bits and ends that kids in Awakening previously could enjoy exclusively such as the ability to take on the classes of other allies (basically an expansion of class options).  That, and they're particularly not ideal in Conquest where you have to have DLC to be able to get children right after the chapter you recruited their primary parents.

For another, the only really impressive stats Sophie has at base are skill and speed.  Stats can change, of course, but others have more impressive stat spreads at base.  Sophie is overall just kinda middling without some investment, and in a game where there are at least a couple dozen stars (and literally half a dozen cavaliers), that means she's gonna get forgotten about.

That and, like other people say, her character itself is nothing to write home about.  Characters such as Camilla, Oboro, Xander, Takumi, Niles, and various others simply stand out more - they have personality traits and quirks that could be more universally applied, even if they make you hate them.  Meanwhile, children like Sophie have very particular quirks that don't really bounce well off of other characters with their own particular quirks (which is what you get a lot with the 2nd Gen in this game, and they mostly only interact with each other, which only feeds into the problem further).

I love Sophie's design, and I do like her personality. She's earnest like Cynthia (though not as annoying) and never gives up. That's admirable. She's not a knight in countenance or whatever, but she's got the heart of one.

But that Avel bit wears thin very quickly, and like all the other children, she feels irrelevant and shoehorned in. I mean, anytime I read dialogue from the second generation, it really feels like it's an entirely separate game. It doesn't fit with the narrative at all.

I really like Sophie; she's one of the very few "clumsy" character I actually enjoy. She's the one single character that I always have on my team, no matter the path I'm following.

She's earnest and got a good heart, her clumsiness is (mostly) believable, she has some entertaining supports, her personal skill is very silly but fun and I love her general design. I did think her supports were sometime a bit too Avel-focused, but not too bad on the whole. She's my favorite of the Fates children, but from CYL3 she's unfortunately ranked last of the Fates women... Pretty unfortunate, but I'm used to it at this point; the majority of characters I really like don't score well on popularity pools (bar the rare exception). Alas...

From a gameplay perspective, she never been spectacular for me though. While she always carried her weight and never dragged my team down by her inclusion, she's never been a top tier unit for me. Power-wise, she's always one of my weaker character by endgame, no matter what mother she had (which includes great mothers like Corrin and Camilla), or if I recruited her incredibly early or very late. Still good enough to use every single run (like her too much not to), but never an important part of any of them.

First off, using endgame stats is never a good indicator of a unit's quality - they're pretty much never relevant. Second, your setup has three level 15 skills... in a game where outside of Felicia and Jakob, level 15 skills tend to come too late to be relevant, and getting more than one in particular would either require very costly Eternal Seals or end up being very seal-intensive. 

Anyhow, I don't get the feeling that Sophie is actively disliked - it'd be more accurate to say people are mostly indifferent to her.

7 hours ago, frankfawn43 said:

I dislike female horse units on principle in Fates. I hate how they have that stupid fanservice no pants. 

Fan service? In my Fire Emblem? Surely you jest!

If you are going to hate the lack of pants on female units in Fates, you might as well hate them all for similar reasons. So now that we have that out of the way, how do you feel about Sophie, ever-present fan service notwithstanding?

But I agree, it's stupid.

Even though you mention a Sophie with a lot of DLC skills, she can be pretty decent without.

I do believe she is much better in BR. That game much less horses, thus making her more useful.

In CQ she is just another unit. Not too sure about REV, as I still need to tackle that. But I believe Silas is top tier in that game, so most likely Sophie will be.

53 minutes ago, SSJDennis said:

Not too sure about REV, as I still need to tackle that. But I believe Silas is top tier in that game, so most likely Sophie will be.

I doubt it - Silas joins much later than in either Birthright or Conquest (though thankfully, he doesn't get the shaft like most other Nohrian units did), and that would affect Sophie too.