Fire Emblem Barry's Bandits

DotDotDot

5mi3NnG.png

Who am I?
Hello there I am DotDotDot, I'm a poor college student that has been trying to make my own fan game(Originally a Pokemon one) since middle school. I've worked on this to big chunks. I first started working on this during my Senior year of high school before burnout hit me hard and I stopped. The second chunk was recently were while watching Mangs LP a hack gave me a second wind to finally finish my hack and here we are! I hope you enjoy and do run into too many bugs or glitches I forgot about from the first chunk.

What is this?
This is a short 8 chapter(counted prologue and Final) Hack of Fire Emblem 8 I made to gain experience with FEBuilderGBA and with hacking in general. Originally I was gonna make my dream hack I've always wanted to make and I even made a full chapter and some portraits(some of which I repurposed for this hack) but, I decided not to continue  because I didn't want to get burnout making a long hack by myself (Which in the end didn't help because I started this hack about a year ago and then stop for like 5 months or so because I still got burnout, whops). I decided to go with an idea I had for a while of playing as the bandits of a fire emblem game were the bandits somehow manage to win!

The Pitch!
Have you ever wanted to be a bandit? Going around pillaging villages for all their goods, killing helpless villagers that are just trying to save their family, using almost exclusively axes! Well, now you can in Fire Emblem Barry's Bandits!

Features:

Spoiler

HP Bars
Skills System
Contemporary Support/Talk style(also action afterward)
Fully Written Supports for all characters!
Altered Menus to look more Bandit like
A single new class line!
Maybe More that I forgot 

Screenshots

nT2IcXi.pngcWwqeRu.pngfjjW6vO.pngSc91krY.png

leWfdA7.pngVQ03A89.pngmcX2w3p.png5W7DitE.png

sLXWedH.pngpzX30fr.png4F120tE.pngewAm1Fz.png

Download Fire Emblem Barry's Bandits

Bugs/Spelling Errors/Notes/etc

Spoiler

Bugs - To MY knowledge, there are currently NO game breaking bugs or glitches. 
Spelling - So I'm dyslexic(not an excuse but it doesn't help) and I have no friends that can really help me out with the spelling. I do have Grammarly but a lot of my game was written while hacking (because past me is very stupid) and I am not willing to copy all the text onto a doc and Grammarly check it (because currently, me is lazy). I've done like 3 full playthroughs and each time I have spotted more spelling mistakes so there are likely to be.
Tldr - There might be a lot of spelling errors please notify me of these so I can fix them in a later patch
Notes - I have no friends that know anything of fire emblem and even less that care about video games enough to download VBA to play a hack so as a result, I am the only person to have playtested this game(I've done about 3 full playthroughs along with playing through some maps many many many times) but I'm also not the best FE player so the game might be a little easy (or somehow hard?) or there might be some balancing issues.
Tldr - If you have any balancing problems or suggestion please feel free to let me know

Credits

Spoiler

Animations:
     FE 10 Fighter - MageKnight404
     Female Assasin - Moocavo and Riku
     Nuramon - Ephraim Great Lord
FEBuilderGBA and many patches Including!
     Circleseverywhere - Convert Titles to Text, Contemporary Support/Talk Style, Map Danger Zone, HP Bars, Skills
     Kirb - Class Expansion
     Tequila - Stats when anims off, show heal amount, Stat screen colors
     Aera - 5 People supports
     7743 - Various Helpful patches

Special Thanks to:
     Mangs (Of keeping me inspired with this FE Hack LPs)
     The people at FE Universe FE_Builder_GBA forum for putting up with my stupid questions
And anyone else I forgot to credit!

Edited by DotDotDot

really like how the playable units are red and the enemies are blue. Really does make you fell like the bad guy. This picked my interest. Gonna try it soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2019 at 10:57 AM, Pwntagonist said:

Good work on this hack. I just finished it and I'm very impressed. It won't catch too many people's eyes because of the portraits and general lack of polish but I really love the gameplay.

Thanks for playing. If you don't mind can you please tell me what was the "lack of polish" you were talking about? As part of the reason for this hack was to improve.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:27 AM, DotDotDot said:

Thanks for playing. If you don't mind can you please tell me what was the "lack of polish" you were talking about? As part of the reason for this hack was to improve.

To keep it short, the maps aesthetically could be better (see some map making tutorials) and the grammar is off quite often. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. I suggest you try to make a new hack from here keeping these things in mind because this one is already great and it's not necessary to keep polishing it when it will be far more worthwhile to start on a new one.

I've recently started playing through this and wanted to share my thoughts.

It definitely needs a proof reader, but the dialogue and characters are very entertaining.
I like a lot of the little touches, like switching the (player / enemy) (palettes / music), and how pillaging a house for all it's worth is more profitable than a friendly handout
Barry is an absolutely ridiculous Chad Jeigan Lord, geedis.
The "toolkit" you give the player is fun. For a short game, I appreciate being given a swordreaver right away.
I don't know how deliberate this was, but this game actually created scenarios where I liked having a steel axe around, which I consider a mark of quality.

The fact that you can't use shops is funny as an in-universe thing, but I also like how it really emphasizes item management and scavenging. I spent a lot of time trading, and I would go out of my way to kill enemies just so they'd drop a hand axe. It's a neat dimension to things.

Also, the decision to use this big lineup of screenshots in the opening post is a good presentation, kudos for that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 7/2/2020 at 6:36 AM, GURU GAMER said:

I am not able to pass chapter 3 dual rivals without lossing the units so plz make chapter 3 easier and try every chapter so that you confirm that is every chapter can be passes without lossing units. 

Here is how to get all recruitables and item drops from enemies and steal the items from boss (the most luck requiring part) in chapter 3

RIGHT SIDE:
send pirate with swordreaver near bush on right side, send 2 brothers + gary with a hand axe after him
make gary kil the other hand axe guy in the bush and stall the dark mages until your mage arrives
use your mage to kill dark mages
there will also be a brigand with a droppable steel axe coming make sure your pirate w/ swordreaver is in a bush waiting for him
after that rest of them can do 0 damage to you anyways so it should be no problem taking rest out
when you are done rush to the bush near the recruitable characters to help with middle

LEFT SIDE:
Send your thief with a killing edge into the bush near the cracked wall. DO NOT HIT THE WALL otherwise swordreaver will kill her
after 1 turn passes with the wall being broken send her to middle

MIDDLE:
Send everyone remaining there but do not leave the building.
Have barry with a bow in the range of the swordsman you are going to recruit, while waiting for him make your healer barrier both him and the silent axe dude whose name I can't remember
next turn recruit him and put him at the right at the outer doors also your thief with killing edge should be at middle right now from escaping the swordreaver coming from left. This is important because she will be the bait for that thief and the axe user coming from middle
next turn place the thief in the bush send your sword guy to the right bush
make barry with a silver axe + supports tank the swordreaver (he can 1-hit)
this is where barrier you used from before will start helping because dark mages from bottom and left will start hitting you
place barry in the bush and send the thief to steal the boots if you want but you will lose valuable manpower when trying to rescue her out of hit range, only person that can rescue her and still stay alive is either barry or the horseman you recruit which both of them are too important to make sure you don't get overrun. HOWEVER if you want to go for it you can do it last turn or the one before that barely since that is the earliest you can get the horseman near the boss
after you recruit the mage and the swordsman start rescue+drop to get the mage out of range
dont fight the berserkers and start running to the left side and that should be the end of it.

Edited by FlamerJoe