Do you think Byleth being a silent protagonist will be a good thing or a bad thing?

4 minutes ago, TheDreamReturns said:

I mean that'd be interesting, but seeing as they're the son of someone who's apparently "THE GREATEST KNIGHT WHO EVER LIVED +5" I think they'll be more excited to work with him by association alone. If anything I see people being disappointed in him for not living up the the legacy of his father.

This would be a lot better if Byleth wasn't silent. 

5 minutes ago, TheDreamReturns said:

Kinda hoping we get to see Jerry fight. It'd be nice to see a legendary legend of legend like him in action instead of just being TOLD how cool he was. Maybe he was like a one man army on the battlefield, or he was super devoted to the church before leaving for whatever reason.

We'll see him fight in the battle he gets killed in.

On a more serious note, it would be nice to actually see Jeralt in action. Maybe even have him be playable for a bit.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I just want to say I appreciate the civility and patience you've shown when replying to that crazy person. You didn't deserve that hostility.

You should’ve seen him when he challenged me to a fight in Smash over what I said about Persona lol.

12 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Alm is an improvement on Corrin but I think he's still pretty guilty of the instant adoration that the avatars get. The most concerning bits were when other characters openly admitted their inferiority to Alm.

True though i do give him a bit of a pass there (the instant adoration part and not the admitting inferiority part) since Alm felt like he felt naturally likable as opposed to most Lords who are kinda liked by the rest of the cast because they're the Lord. Though that could just be the result of the script and especially the amazing voice acting.

57 minutes ago, TheDreamReturns said:

Honestly a lot of the problem from Fates' writing stems from being hastily slapped together, which is no doubt a side effect of them having to develop three interconnected games. I doubt we'll be seeing another nasty case of Corrin-itis ever again, no matter how Byleth turns out he'll be better than Corrin. So that's something to be happy about.

Perhaps you're right, but to be honest, I don't see Corrin as the worst lord in the series (that's a title for either Eirika or Sigurd, but that's neither here nor there).

Edited by Shadow Mir

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This would be a lot better if Byleth wasn't silent. 

We'll see him fight in the battle he gets killed in.

On a more serious note, it would be nice to actually see Jeralt in action. Maybe even have him be playable for a bit.

Jerry McJeigen, I like it.

Agreed though, I'm just waiting for the day when we abandon this player insert stuff. You can do so much more with a character that isn't mean to be a loose stand-in for a nebulous mass of players.

16 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Alm is an improvement on Corrin but I think he's still pretty guilty of the instant adoration that the avatars get. The most concerning bits were when other characters openly admitted their inferiority to Alm.

I just want to say I appreciate the civility and patience you've shown when replying to that crazy person. You didn't deserve that hostility.

From their post history it looks like they constantly do this. I'm honestly surprised they haven't been banned yet (that is if it hasn't happened already in the past), my old account got warnings because I kept double-posting like an idiot. Slinging that much """deserved""" venom toward one person on a regular basis for mere disagreements has got to be worth a "get lost", though I'm not telling the mods how to do their jobs don't get me wrong.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Perhaps you're right, but in spite of all the flak Corrin gets, I still consider them better than the Renais twins, especially Eirika, and Sigurd.

I can't comment on those since I haven't played Sacred Stones (plan to) or "teh besst fire embul" (meehhhhh) but the worst I've heard about them is "Poor, Ineffective Development via Plot Convenience" (Eirika), "Glorification" (Ephraim) and "Bland" (Sigurd).

These are ALL problems I have with Corrin, on top of others.

31 minutes ago, TheDreamReturns said:

And what if they don't? What if they don't remember the old games? What do you want me to do? Get mad? THIS IS A VIDEO GAME.

Get some fresh air. Learn to socialize. Go trouble someone else.

26 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Do do do, do do, do do, do Gamers are sinners~”

5 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Do do do, do do, do do, do Gamers are sinners~”

this but unironically

anyway op's been suspended for a few weeks please stop reporting his posts

EDIT:

2 minutes ago, TheDreamReturns said:

Off Topic: There's a way to mute/block people here right? Just curious. 

yes there's an ignore function

Edited by Integrity

nah be the bigger person and don't do that the mod team runs off of reports, either op shapes up or we hear he didn't

Edited by Integrity

I'd say, in general I don't mind silent protagonists. It shall be interesting how they handle that if it's really a thing as it'd be its own (not unlike Robin who while having a no-dialogue option, it was a side thing to the standard of having). If it turns out Byleth isn't really silent after all... well, so be it.

2 minutes ago, Integrity said:

nah be the bigger person and don't do that the mod team runs off of reports, either op shapes up or we hear he didn't

Hear ya loud and clear, sorry for the spam. That was immature on my part.

On the topic of Corrin I think the IS had a difficult job balancing a character that needed to be the main protagonist who makes the decisions and drives the story, but also had to be an avatar that the player could see themselves as. In my opinion, Robin was a lot more successful as an avatar because he/she wasn't the central focus of the story. This is why I hope Byleth takes a similar role as Robin instead of being the main protagonist. 

It doesn't matter if Byleth is a silent protagonist or not.

What matters if they actually made them an avatar instead of template character.

Not I care at the end of the day since self righteous punk is going to complain how the avatar ruins the story anyways.

5 hours ago, GaryGlacier said:

On the topic of Corrin I think the IS had a difficult job balancing a character that needed to be the main protagonist who makes the decisions and drives the story, but also had to be an avatar that the player could see themselves as. In my opinion, Robin was a lot more successful as an avatar because he/she wasn't the central focus of the story. This is why I hope Byleth takes a similar role as Robin instead of being the main protagonist. 

That would be great I just don’t foresee it 

I'd just point out that Suikoden 2 used the exact same system (silent protagonist with mostly meaningless "flavour" choices to characterize him), and this has not prevented it from being one of the greatest JRPG ever.

There are in general many thing that only an avatar can do. I honestly feel bad about The Witcher choices because i read the books first and i just can't pick a choice different than what BookGeralt would do, and i feel frustrated when the devs force you to choice to do something he wouldn't.

If the game is about choice and you can change events.(the Rhea yes or yes choice is just one dialogue. Doesn't mean that all choices will be yes or yes.), then a blank sheet character is better than an established one imo. 

Personally, I think it's a bad thing, but that there's also other elements of the writing that need to be done well too...e.g. not having an abundance of "trope-y" characters, not having nearly all characters praise the avatar/player like they're perfect and can never do wrong, not making the whole game take place mostly in the military academy, etc...

Story (and graphics) are mainly what I'm worried about with three houses, but I trust that IS will at least do a better job than fates for me, at engaging me with the world and characters...I hope.

On the bright side, the gameplay looks very interesting to me, as well as the novelty of having another 3d console fire emblem again.

Edited by Dinar87

I realize that my opinion on this isn't likely to be terribly popular, but I'm going to say it anyway; I hate the idea of a silent avatar. I hated it in FE7 with the original Mark, and if IS does it with Three houses, then I most likely won't be buying the game. If the devs want me to put myself in the game, then I expect to actually be part of the story; that's exceptionally hard to do with a silent Avatar.

55 minutes ago, GamerX51 said:

I realize that my opinion on this isn't likely to be terribly popular, but I'm going to say it anyway; I hate the idea of a silent avatar. I hated it in FE7 with the original Mark, and if IS does it with Three houses, then I most likely won't be buying the game. If the devs want me to put myself in the game, then I expect to actually be part of the story; that's exceptionally hard to do with a silent Avatar.

Well Byleth is the main protagonist(and is an actual character) so their gonna be the central focus with what's going for him(legendary sword, deep connection with the plot character, unique ability, important parents, etc) overall alongside the three house leaders so I doubt we'll get something like Mark even if we're a semi silent avatar.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

16 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

Well Byleth is the main protagonist(and is an actual character) so their gonna the central focus with what's going for him(legendary sword, deep connection with the plot character, unique ability, important parents, etc) overall alongside the three house leaders so I doubt we'll get something like Mark even if we're semi silent.

I know that Byleth isn't going to be like Mark, but what's the point of making Byleth an Avatar, and then taking away all player agency? You can't even customize his appearance, and now it's looking more and more like their going to take away my ability to feel like I'm actually connected to the world as well; they might as well have just made Byleth a predefined character and saved themselves a lot of unnecessary grief. 

Edited by GamerX51

12 hours ago, Roland said:

Hey man, I’m just not a fan of how Robin was handled in this game. You disagree? Great. We can still post in the same thread and have a civil discussion right?

And I’m all for a civil discussion and debate regarding this topic but you’ve yet to come up with a convincing argument for me here. If you wanna agree to disagree that’s fine but I’m just asking you please back up what you say when it comes to making objective criticism and arguments like that.

Edited by Ottservia

2 hours ago, GamerX51 said:

I know that Byleth isn't going to be like Mark, but what's the point of making Byleth an Avatar, and then taking away all player agency? You can't even customize his appearance, and now it's looking more and more like their going to take away my ability to feel like I'm actually connected to the world as well; they might as well have just made Byleth a predefined character and saved themselves a lot of unnecessary grief. 

Probably to try a different form of Avatar from other known series than what they're familiar with doing. Maybe they saw how popular other silent protagonists were like in things like Persona etc and want to have a knack at it here. I do think appearance customization could've still be possible despite the animated cutscenes showing the default but I guess not to them here. If it doesn't work well here they'll just go back to how it was before. I'm just gonna wait and see how well they implement it.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

I think that it will be handled the wrong way, but could be a good "idea". I would prefer a more minor role for the avatar, story line wise, of course. About them being too nice/well liked? I dont understand why you would want someone to treat someone else poorly, so I prefer the more friendly characters.