Do you think Byleth being a silent protagonist will be a good thing or a bad thing?

41 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

IDK guys, Robin isn't Byleth hmmmmm.

Robin already has a somewhat set personality but you had enough leeway to be allow to interpret their character for your own.

I don't see the comparison to Byleth other than being an avatar

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Robin already has a somewhat set personality but you had enough leeway to be allow to interpret their character for your own.

I don't see the comparison to Byleth other than being an avatar

Look at the title, and then at who people are actually talking about.

Ahhhhh notice it yet? just sayin' this topic got off topic, nothing more.

4 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Ahhhhh notice it yet? just sayin' this topic got off topic, nothing more.

Better to get off-topic than what was happening earlier. Not that getting off-topic should justify anything for this matter.

So apparently Bylet does indeed have a voice (at least one per gender): https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/anvya/pc/characters/index.html

I guess what remains to be seen is where/when it will be used, but the fact that they put on the site makes me think that maybe Byleth isn't silent after all.

Edited by SushiCat

12 hours ago, SushiCat said:

So apparently Bylet does indeed have a voice (at least one per gender): https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/anvya/pc/characters/index.html

I guess what remains to be seen is where/when it will be used, but the fact that they put on the site makes me think that maybe Byleth isn't silent after all.

this combined with the calender in hubert's video it really does seem like they're going for persona emblem here

12 hours ago, SushiCat said:

We know they also have battle lines, we saw it in Nintendo JP commercial last month

I'm leaning towards bad just because I don't like silent characters in an otherwise voiced cast. It is just so jarring and doesn't make me feel like they make better avatars. Characters like these tend to fade into the background a lot which is annoying to me if they are supposed to be the main(or one of the) main characters. I get why people like them, and I've played and liked games with them before, but they are always a negative to me when I really think about it. I'd prefer to just have an established character then one that is going to be voiceless.

Reminds me of Xenoblade chronicles X where there was an semi-silent avatar character...and I can remember the devs talking about making xenoblade chronicles 2 more story based like the original, because they got fed up with the complaints of X having a weaker story according to fans....so yeah.

I do not like silent mains, they make it harder to tell a coherent story (not impossible; some of my favourite game stories include a silent main). In particular, they hurt the story if the main character is central to the plot, and FE has a habit of making the avatar central to the plot (note the exception: Mark being silent doesn't matter because Mark doesn't matter). Also, main character hero worship is becoming a big problem in FE and that's even more obnoxious with a silent main since at that point it's just transparently hero worship. I have often cringed at some of the Fire Emblem Heroes lines talking up the Summoner, and I certainly don't want that in a more serious game.

I hope that Byleth is not silent, and if s/he is, hopefully the story is instead carried by other strong personalities instead of being a hero-worship-fest.

On 5/12/2019 at 5:21 AM, Dinar87 said:

Reminds me of Xenoblade chronicles X where there was an semi-silent avatar character...and I can remember the devs talking about making xenoblade chronicles 2 more story based like the original, because they got fed up with the complaints of X having a weaker story according to fans....so yeah.

I don't think that was the case. XCX had a bit of a troubled development cycle due to it being Monolith Soft's first HD game, so they basically decided to go gameplay first and story second since the intention was for it to be more exploration-based. XC2 going back to being story-based had nothing to do with complaints on XCX. 

Something I've been wondering, but his Byleth even customizable? From what I've seen it looks like you just choose gender, not the rest. Weren't there normal cutscenes with Byleth's face? Byleth looks cool enough that I'd be fine with that.

15 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

I don't think that was the case. XCX had a bit of a troubled development cycle due to it being Monolith Soft's first HD game, so they basically decided to go gameplay first and story second since the intention was for it to be more exploration-based. XC2 going back to being story-based had nothing to do with complaints on XCX. 

Regardless, I know me and some other fans didn't like xenoblade chronicles x due to it being far more gameplay focused, with story being second, which I why I'm grateful monolithsoft did things like the first game again for xenoblade chronicles 2.

I will admit that I'm not a fan of player insertion at all. How much do you need to identify with (as opposed to empathize and/or sympathize with) the protagonist to like the story they're in? So yes, I'm not a fan of silent protagonists, although I can at least tolerate them in certain situations (e.g. Persona 4; haven't played 3 or 5 yet). The player is the director, anyway, not the lead actor. (The producer here would be IS.)

That said, the apparent lack of customization beyond male/female, and paucity of voicing, does appear to be a movement away from the more pronounced avatar-work of Awakening and Fates's MyUnits. (We haven't heard Byleth called a MyProfessor or the like, have we? Honest question, mind you.) Still, I'd rather see the idea of a player-defined strategist (which, technically, was there in Blazing Blade; you just weren't on the battlefield) abolished. I'm not convinced artistry benefits from being that mutable and/or intended for vicariousness.

On a side note, the reason I aimed at Sacred Stones and Awakening is because of the possibility of class/skill customization. Hopefully that survives the removal of player-inserts. (Fates? A little too amorphous in customizability...)

33 minutes ago, SkyknightXi said:

On a side note, the reason I aimed at Sacred Stones and Awakening is because of the possibility of class/skill customization. Hopefully that survives the removal of player-inserts. (Fates? A little too amorphous in customizability...)

Yeah, if skills, reclassing and brached promotions go away... It'll be a step back in my books. I don't mind silent avatars; I can imagine them as myself better if they don't say much. Dialogue trees are fine.

On 5/12/2019 at 7:21 AM, Dinar87 said:

It's funny you mention that because i think Cross is one of the best examples of how to handle a silent protagonist. His role in the story isn't that important because that's why Elma exists. The amount of customization you can do with him is insane. You have so many options to pick from when creating your Cross and then you can customize him even further in the game itself. His personality and whatnot is pretty much determined by you. He truly is an avatar character.

I have always said that i wish Intelligent Systems would take a page out of Monolith Soft's book on how to do avatars/silent protagonists. So far, i think Byleth is the closest we'll get to that.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:52 PM, Sentinel07 said:

XC2 going back to being story-based had nothing to do with complaints on XCX. 

No, it did. Somewhat. That's why they started working on XC2 before XCX was even finished. They were tired of people complaining that X wasn't like the original (it wasn't supposed to be). Ironically enough, people are begging for a Switch port of X now.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

It's funny you mention that because i think Cross is one of the best examples of how to handle a silent protagonist. His role in the story isn't that important because that's why Elma exists. The amount of customization you can do with him is insane. You have so many options to pick from when creating your Cross and then you can customize him even further in the game itself. His personality and whatnot is pretty much determined by you. He truly is an avatar character.

I have always said that i wish Intelligent Systems would take a page out of Monolith Soft's book on how to do avatars/silent protagonists. So far, i think Byleth is the closest we'll get to that.

That's true, but I'd rather of just had Elma to begin with for X, and to of made the story about her, rather than having a custom character in there.

For me at least, I do not feel immersed when playing as my own character, rather I like to relate to defined protagonists who aren't custom made. While 3 houses looks to be handling this better than fates at least (so far), I'd just much rather have a defined character than a customize-able one.

In fact...I think fire emblem is easily at it's best when it's not so focused on player pandering and choices, but rather is a linear, story driven experience just like in echoes for example. Sure echoes had very bad map design often, and all the grinding and other gameplay stuff was a chore, but ultimately I still cared about Alm, Celica and the rest...rather than just another generic avatar,