Trees look pretty bad in this game (for now)

To be fair, I can recall a screenshot of the ground of FE Warriors being showcased as a pretty big deal back before the game's release. And for good reason, as it was literally a photograph of actual rocks as the whole texture. It looked incredibly bad and amateurish.

Fast forward to today and I can't remember seeing that many complaints about details like that after people played the game.

10 minutes ago, eclipse said:

. . .so, uh, if it's "unnecessary fluff", then why did you make a topic, specifically to point out the trees?

I meant unnecessary fluff as in the devs didn't really need to spend resources on traversable 3D environments. Just keep it simplistic like in previous titles (SoV did have dungeon crawling, but that's bcs it was already in the game and it wasn't really all that noteworthy). 3D roaming is ambitious and that can be a good that thing, but as I mentioned 3D isn't something FE is good at.

I'm concerned that they want to do a bunch of things bcs they have better hardware and more money to work with, but ambition can be a dangerous thing in any kind of large scale projects. If you're too grandiose you might just end up doing things for nothing. Does X add something to the game? What would the game be like without it? What would the player think of it? Etc.

As much as I agree that this isn't top quality visual and critics will certainly take points there, I can understand why they are going for that. It's their first "console" title since a long time, and the multiple release date delays shows that it was hard for them. Then, I never had the impression that Koei were very good at scenery, but instead they sacrifice the landscape and backgrounds in the order to have more space for exemple to have many units and FX on screen. Finally, we have to remember that this is a Switch game, not PS4 or PC, so the place is limited. If they have a big number of maps, events and more they do need to save ressources somewhere.

VN like dialogues work well on 3DS because the screen is small, but on a bigger screen it would be a waste to do that. I know games that went from DS/3DS to home console games switching the VN format to Models and it was a lot more expressive.

Personally I'm glad they choose to do this, if the characters have nice animations and all, their story and supports will be more interesting, I've been witing for that to happen for ever !

Edited by FuranSuwa

I personally don't really mind those trees, but I admit it worries me a bit if things like this are going to affect review scores and sales from the more casual audience.

I feel the direction they are taking is the correct one; it's just that the implementation isn't quite there yet. If Three Houses sells decently, I'm pretty sure we'll get a considerably better-looking game for the next entry in the series. Awakening -> Fates -> SoV has shown some improvements in the visuals and animations, and I'm expecting an even bigger difference between Three Houses and the next Fire Emblem. Especially since the console itself allows for more growth.

I wonder if the troops were the biggest source of problems here? To allow a ton of troops to show on the screen at once, you need to make some concessions elsewhere.

In any case, something akin to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 visuals for the next Fire Emblem would be perfect in my opinion. It looks great, environments are stellar, and the characters are very expressive.

Seeing this shot makes me think that the game will look just fine in handheld mode. With Switch games it's always a question of what compromises the dev makes between docked/handheld modes. With Fire Emblem coming off of three 3DS entries I'd say it's a safe guess that Nintendo and IS want to serve the handheld crowd first. Tbh I'd rather have that than a Xenoblade 2 situation, where the game looked and ran significantly worse than on the big screen. 

I can really care less about background details as long as the character models are great, great cast, great art, supports/pairing, thrilling story, fun gameplay and the animations are smooth that's all I want.

I do agree with above user that it's likely gonna look beautiful in handheld mode which is great to me since I mostly use it to play games (exceptions being Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2).

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

1 hour ago, know_naim said:

Tbh I'd rather have that than a Xenoblade 2 situation, where the game looked and ran significantly worse than on the big screen. 

Really? Weird, I've played it plenty in handheld and didn't notice more than minor loading issues when quick traveling.

1 hour ago, Ayra said:

In any case, something akin to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 visuals for the next Fire Emblem would be perfect in my opinion. It looks great, environments are stellar, and the characters are very expressive.

How about they just forget about Fodlan and magically plop everyone in Alrest circa 501 years prior to the start of XC2? The game would end with a bang- magically returning everyone to their home world just as Malos destroys his first Titan which they so happen to be standing on.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

really? Weird, I've played it plenty in handheld and didn't notice more than minor loading issues when quick traveling.

Unfortunately, yeah. Played since day1 and had a rather... suboptimal experience including the game crashing and whatnot. That said, XB2 was significantly improved post-launch (visually Torna was a huge update) and that's also a point to consider for Three Houses: these days updates and patches are a guaranteed thing and I'd expect a lot of those in FETH. 

Since the majority of the games I play are a year old at least, I don't that I'll notice a last-gen looking tree when playing the game itself. Sure, the lower quality of the picture bugs me a little now, but will it really matter much if the gameplay, story, characters, etc. make up for it?

Being honest, my larger concern is the quality of the animations. The models in Echoes didn't exactly look great at a stand-still, but in motion they were a sight to behold. None of the attacks shown in Three Houses so far have reminded me of the combination of speed and punch that Shadows of Valentia had, and while it's not a be-all, end-all situation for me, I would be lying if I said that that hasn't affected my excitement for the game.