I feel like an Idiot after Act 5's final battle

So this is my first play through of Echoes. I'm playing Hard/Classic and I also have insisted on not using Mila's Turnwheel and just restarting the chapter if a character dies (that's the way I'm used to playing anyway).

So I feel like an idiot since once I completed this chapter I decided to google how others had done it. I did it in the dumbest way possible.

1. I was mainly irritated since I missed the chance to recruit the sisters, but that's besides the point. (I mean Est's, but I totally would've used them here)

2. I didn't realize you could actually kill Jedah, so I just allowed him to summon the entire battle.

3. I didn't realize Alm wasn't the only one that could do damage to Duma.

My strategy was, once I got to the area next to Jedah, it was constant Silk warp and Faye Rescue of Alm to kill both Witches, the Medusa User, and Duma. It was ridiculously stupid and I feel like a loser for using such a cheap gimmick. I would have Genny heal Alm every time before he went back in.

I was wondering why they allowed us to use so many units this battle, since besides Valbar, Celica, and Claire protecting my Saint's I literally used no one for the entire second half of the battle.

Did anyone else have issues like this for this battle? Specifically passing up on killing Jedah?

Edited by TheLightMusicClub

One. you can't talk to Marla or Hestia. Unless you were instead talking about Palla and Catria, which wouldn't be relevant to this topic. Two, Jedah will stop attacks except for the fourth attacker (this is actually hinted at by an NPC in the Sage's Hamlet... except said NPC disappears after revealing this). For example, you have Celica, Leon, Mae, and Saber attack in that order. In this case, Saber doesn't get his attack nullified. Three, units other than Alm can damage Duma... up until he goes down to 52 HP. After that, only Alm can finish him off.

Edited by Shadow Mir

I left Jedah alone.  Let him figure out how to live in a world without his god!

But if you beat the game, congrats!  There's no "right" way of doing it.

Well, the Falchion (and Nosferatu!) are your only ways to damage Duma after he hits 52 HP, but before that you're good to go imo.

Jedah's fun to 1-shot with a crit, here I had Alm Scendscale him to death (Celica had 1-shot with Ragnarok the previous time), but if not I can understand trying to move around him.

I was able to use everyone though, so it was a bit easier to pull off.

14 hours ago, TheLightMusicClub said:

I was wondering why they allowed us to use so many units this battle, since besides Valbar, Celica, and Claire protecting my Saint's I literally used no one for the entire second half of the battle.

Did anyone else have issues like this for this battle? Specifically passing up on killing Jedah?

i guess it depends on the player: you can either take your time to defeat Jedah and his summons before moving on to Duma in order to have less things to worry about, or you can just focus on Duma while keeping Jedah busy. both ways are fine, as long as you can manage the situation properly.

the last battle in the original Gaiden was a bit more troublesome, since if you wanted an easier fight with Duma, you also had to go get the Falchion from a deep maze with multiple paths full of monsters and traps.

however, there was a little trick involving Alm and Celica fighting next to each other, wich was allowing Alm to perform critical hits by default( can't remember if it was a permanent effect or only available during player phase ), so in theory not having the Falchion shouldn't have been a huge loss.

I can understand not knowing how to defeat Jedah. The only clue to his weakness is a little vague and from an NPC who dies immediately thereafter so you can't view the tip again. The tip also made more sense left as is in its FE2 version, even if the FE12's is quicker to deal with.

Maybe if Mila had instead bestowed Celica with an "Earthlight" spell that pierced Jedah's protections, things would have been beter. This would be on top of his present "every fourth round of combat" weakness which everyone could damage him through. It'd make for a nice final battle parallel: Alm gets Falchion to slay Duma, Celica gets Earthlight to slay Jedah.