Future Avatar Classes

Ninjato

So it seems very likely the Avatar/My Unit is here to stay. That said what would you like a future Avatar Starting Class to be? Would you like to go back down the Kris route and make it optional during the customization process or make it unique like Robin and Corrin? I honestly can't decide, I like the idea of the MU having a unique class to help them stand out a bit, but at the same time they feel more like an avatar if you have the ability to choose their profession, making them a Soldier, Mercenary, Myrmidon, Cavalier etc. How would you guys handle the Avatar Starting Class?

Kris had the right idea, in terms of mechanics.  Though for this to work, the story would NOT have to revolve around the avatar.  Somehow, I don't see this happening.

I think it should be whichever way best suits the particular game. 

Personally, I would like to see a refinement of Kris' customization system: you choose from a selection of generic starting classes, and the base stats and growths customization is more thorough and potentially balanced than the boon/bane system. This, I feel, makes the most sense, especially since I want to see the avatar stay out of the story's spotlight (not like Kris, but instead more like the avatar in Xenoblade Chronicles X). 

One option that I actually think would be a great idea would be if the avatar in an FE game started out as a fresh recruit that goes through training, kind-of like Kris. But, unlike Kris, the avatar is a trainee class, like the other trainees. Over the course of the prologue, they make decisions that allow the player to (knowingly) adjust growth rates and base stats. This gives the player time to decide what they want their avatar character to become without it all being thrown at the player right at the start; making it more friendly for newcomers while also being more immersive. 

Have the avatar start as a villager who has been recruited by the lord/prince/princess/whatever of the game then they can then branch out depending on weapon use.

Avatar!Villager should be able to use any weapons up to like C rank, then from there you could pick any class, BUT you cannot go back to villager after making a decision.

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

Kris had the right idea, in terms of mechanics.  Though for this to work, the story would NOT have to revolve around the avatar.  Somehow, I don't see this happening.

It work for KOTOR, Persona, Fallout, etc. Why should Fire Emblem be any different?

As far I'm concern, they refine the Avatar's functionality.

I haven't played FE12 for myself, but I can say that it's execution of the avatar's class appeals the most to me, conceptually. Much like the villages in Gaiden / Echoes, it gives you a way to spice up your early game team composition, get more of a class you favor, etc.

Choose One, though there are of course games where a special class is sometimes a good thing. Byleth, for example, seems to either have a Noble class or Special class. This works well for him. But, say Kris a normal aspiring knight who is just a little bit better (or worse depending on your choices) than the other knights.

Summary: Does what works.

On 5/8/2019 at 2:28 PM, Zangetsu said:

It work for KOTOR, Persona, Fallout, etc. Why should Fire Emblem be any different?

As far I'm concern, they refine the Avatar's functionality.

It's heavily story-dependent, IMO.  I have yet to find a FE story where the main protagonist didn't have a reason to be a special class.  Believe it or not, Heroes is probably the closest to this.

I like the idea of "Captain" if the avatar is the head of a group of mercenaries or pirates at the start of the story. "Major" would be an obvious choice for the promoting class, and "Lieutenant" if three tier classes are a thing and/or if "Captain" will be the promoted class. It would also be a good work around for addressing the player in fully-voiced cutscenes, supports, and story dialogue.

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

It's heavily story-dependent, IMO.  I have yet to find a FE story where the main protagonist didn't have a reason to be a special class.  Believe it or not, Heroes is probably the closest to this.

Being a tactician class isn't special enough?

Well since "Awakening" is my favorite out of the 5 FE games I've played what would I know about the matter?

Well, if Avatars absolutely must be a thing form now on, I'd probably handle them in the same way as titles such as Fallout and KOTOR did, that being let us build the character of the Avatar by our decisions and actions throughout the game. Robin and Corrin weren't Avatar characters in the usual sense, but rather their own poorly defined characters. But if you ask me, if the Avatar character in question is pretty much a mute controller by our actions like Byleth is going to be, how "good" they're going to be is really all up to how the writing of the whole game is going to be. 

As for class: Kris had the right idea, being able to choose a class at the beginning from the usual pool and alter their base stats / growths slightly. I feel giving the avatar character a unique class has the potential to just break the balance of the game if done poorly. While in terms of reclassing options, Corrin did it best. Where you pick 1 extra class line at the start and have full access to reclassing to that. While if you want others you have to use supports for that.

As for how to make them feel unique. Have their attitude change slightly depending on who they support with, and how you use them as a unit. So if the avatar supports with more of the darker characters, they pick up a few traits from them. While supporting with nicer characters, they start acting nicer to everyone else. So it feels like your choices actually impact the character.

As for plot relavence. I would prefer it if they kept out of it for the most part. Not barging into the plot every 5 seconds like Kris did. I'm fine with them getting a few words in the story here and there, which can tie into the above point nicely. Where they have stuff to say on the story at certain points based on how their character traits are progressing. But keep them as more of a side character.

Edited by Faellin