Final Fantasy VII: Remake-It Exists!

Dai

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I haven't the foggiest whether disconnecting the Compilation from VIIR is on the whole a good or bad thing. But this is useful information.

It leaves me wondering, how much of VII's plot is going to be redone? Nothing in VII Classic hints at AC, BC, CC or DoC (whatcha know- all FFVII Compilation titles are -C!) from what I'm aware, they're all unplanned prequels/sequels. 

My personal terminology when comes to games being redone is three terms:

• Port/Rerelease- Same game as original, minor tweaks and additions.
  • Remake- Substantially more changes or enhancements than a Port, see Super Mario 64 DS, or SoV, or FFIV DS.
  • Reimagining- Radical changes departing from the original game, see Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

Given the gameplay overhauls, in that regard FVIIR is already a reimagining. Seeing the plot and characters reimagined is absolutely possible and may have already been hinted at.

Although disconnecting the Compilation from VIIR might sound like it could free Cloud of his moody self, Nomura may have dashed those hopes already by injecting Noud Cells into the womb of VIIR. In which case, the plot we'd be getting would likely be Nomura's Fantasy VII, we would have the fullest look into his mind yet.

To be a little more positive, on the topic of usual seconds, I generally swapped in and out my non-Cloud characters and didn't stick to any two. But I think I favored Yuffie for some reason. I might have preferred those with higher Magic stats, since I didn't grind for better Limit Breaks and Magic is fairly good in VII, particularly if you knew where to get the great spells of Enemy Skills. But even bad casters can be adequately good spellslingers, Materia >>>>>>>> everything else after all (which is a flaw of VII).

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had it my way, the only Compilation game I'd really hint at would be Crisis Core. The parts of the story from that game that actually become relevant to FF7 are handled well in that game. Unfortunately you still get stupid shit like Genesis and diet Hojo, but Zack's arc is handled well, his interactions with Aerith and Cloud are sweet(Both of them bonding over being country/small town boys), Angeal is a solid mentor character who gives meaning to the Buster Sword, Sephiroth just being a pretty normal dude who gets along with his comrades is good for the character, and Zack's ending is tragic. Makes you hate Shinra and Hojo even more than FF7 did.

Oh, and The Price of Freedom is a good song.

Edited by Slumber

33 minutes ago, BZL8 said:

Anyone think we're getting a demo?

Possibly. Square's put out a bunch of demos for their higher profile games lately. XV got like a dozen demos.

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Possibly. Square's put out a bunch of demos for their higher profile games lately. XV got like a dozen demos.

Well, US Gamer's editor-in-chief claimed to know someone who has played a demo of the game. Whether that demo is for E3, press-only, and/or is to be distributed to the public is not clear. And not all demos make it to the general public.

1 minute ago, BZL8 said:

Well, US Gamer's editor-in-chief claimed to know someone who has played a demo of the game. Whether that demo is for E3, press-only, and/or is to be distributed to the public is not clear. And not all demos make it to the general public.

It's probably an E3 demo, since Square seems to have big plans for FF7R at E3. If we get a demo, it'll probably be a bit closer to release.

Then again, FFXV put out a demo/beta like, two years before the game came out.

5 hours ago, Slumber said:

It's probably an E3 demo, since Square seems to have big plans for FF7R at E3. If we get a demo, it'll probably be a bit closer to release.

Then again, FFXV put out a demo/beta like, two years before the game came out.

if we don't consider the sea of E3 visual demos, the actually playable ones were Platinum demo and Episode Duscae, wich were released respectively when the game was near completion, and when the game was being promoted before launch. at least, that's how i remember it.

i don't remember Kingdom Hearts 3 having any sort of demo, unless we consider the 2.8 prologue with Aqua, wich is indeed pretty much a demo to KH3 in its own way.

but in FFVIIR case, we're talking about the remake of a game that basicly was the major selling point for the Playstation 1 back in '97. there's good chances it will have a demo before release, at least for the first Avalanche mission.

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I haven't the foggiest whether disconnecting the Compilation from VIIR is on the whole a good or bad thing. But this is useful information.

It leaves me wondering, how much of VII's plot is going to be redone? Nothing in VII Classic hints at AC, BC, CC or DoC (whatcha know- all FFVII Compilation titles are -C!) from what I'm aware, they're all unplanned prequels/sequels. 

My personal terminology when comes to games being redone is three terms:

• Port/Rerelease- Same game as original, minor tweaks and additions.
  • Remake- Substantially more changes or enhancements than a Port, see Super Mario 64 DS, or SoV, or FFIV DS.
  • Reimagining- Radical changes departing from the original game, see Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

Given the gameplay overhauls, in that regard FVIIR is already a reimagining. Seeing the plot and characters reimagined is absolutely possible and may have already been hinted at.

i agree with the remake concept for Final Fantasy IV and FFIV -The after years- since they both had an entire graphic rework from 2D to 3D while keeping the same functions and story.

but as for Shadows of Valentia, that's more of a remake in my opinion because the Berkut/Fernand arcs were not present in the original game, and that was way more than just an enhancement to the original game. that was entirely new content story-wise.

as for the FFVII compilation:

Concerning Final Fantasy VII Remake, which is a title loaded with a lot of mystery for now, it will be different from the original Final Fantasy VII. If we make a compilation, these games will hardly have an overall coherence. It will be difficult because there is no more continuity between the Compilation and the Remake for the moment

that was from Nomura, wich has pretty much admitted that they're already changing stuff in the game. that makes me think we probably won't have the same identical story of VII, but rather an alternative version that may or may not share the same major concepts of the original.

i hope they'll keep the same plot of the original game while adding new background stories for Avalanche, but that's just me. the 2nd episode will also need to have open world exploration with far more story development compared to the 1st episode, but for now i just want to see how they manage the Midgar starting arc.

Hajime Tabata, the director of Before Crisis said in 2010 he'd like to remake Before Crisis for the Nintendo 3DS. Tabata, also the director of Crisis Core would also years later say in 2015 he had no interest in remastering Crisis Core due to how difficult Type-0 HD was to make and due to the fact it was available worldwide unlike Type-0 before its HD remaster.

so it's also a matter of technical difficulties when it comes to ports, wich was to be expected since the titles of the previous compilation were all from different platforms( BC for specific cellphones in Japan only, CC for PSP, DoC for PS2 and DoC -lost episode- for cellphones again ).

if we also consider the fact that VIIR will have episodes, it's obvious that they want to focus more on its development rather than working on ports, at least for the moment.

besides, exception made for Before Crisis and Dirge of Cerberus -lost episode- wich are pretty much non-existant outside Japan, used versions of Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus can eventually still be found on the internet.

same goes for "Last Order", "On the Way to a Smile: Case of Denzel", and "Advent Children Complete", wich can be found anywhere.

Edited by Fenreir

2 hours ago, Fenreir said:

if we don't consider the sea of E3 visual demos, the actually playable ones were Platinum demo and Episode Duscae, wich were released respectively when the game was near completion, and when the game was being promoted before launch. at least, that's how i remember it.

i don't remember Kingdom Hearts 3 having any sort of demo, unless we consider the 2.8 prologue with Aqua, wich is indeed pretty much a demo to KH3 in its own way.

but in FFVIIR case, we're talking about the remake of a game that basicly was the major selling point for the Playstation 1 back in '97. there's good chances it will have a demo before release, at least for the first Avalanche mission.

Duscae came out in the middle of the overhauled development not too long after Tabata took over. It also came out about a year and a half before FFXV. The Platinum demo came out much closer to release, and was more of a tech demo of some of the systems that would be in XV.

Kingdom Hearts 3 had 2.8, Automata had a demo, Octopath Traveler had a demo.

I'd say those are four of their biggest projects of the last few years, and they all had demos. I'd say the biggest outlier are Dragon Quest XI and Shadow of the Tomb Raider which didn't have demos as far as I'm aware.

And of their internally developed stuff, that'd be KH, FFXV and OT(Partially), which all had demos.

Edited by Slumber

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

We have a release date folks. 03/03/20.

Damn it, now i can't make "FF7R never" jokes

If this is true, it'll be wayyy overdue, much like KH III, and I haven't played that since, so i'm pretty much, when it happens, it happens, at this point.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

If this is true, it'll be wayyy overdue, much like KH III, and I haven't played that since, so i'm pretty much, when it happens, it happens, at this point.

Yeah, Square (or really Nomura) needs to learn to not announce things way too early.

Anyway, here's official confirmation

-Looks at trailer-

Nomura, the reason Sephiroth worked was because of mystique. You never saw one bit of him until the Nibelheim flashback, which made him all the more chilling and intimidating.

And why are the clones there? Just...WHY? Oh dear Jenova

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

We have a release date folks. 03/03/20.

Damn it, now i can't make "FF7R never" jokes

Don't worry, this is only episode 1 (a fact that Square presently seems to ignore/avoid mentioning). The rest of the episodes will go back to never being released, so we'll have plenty of opportunities to make jokes in the future.

Speaking of which, shouldn't that official confirmation be specifying that Episode 1 is releasing 3/3/20 and not the whole game? Because I imagine people will be annoyed when they learn that they aren't getting the entire game at once.

2 hours ago, Aiddon said:

-Looks at trailer-

Nomura, the reason Sephiroth worked was because of mystique. You never saw one bit of him until the Nibelheim flashback, which made him all the more chilling and intimidating.

I'm guessing they need some kind of epic climax at the end of every episode, even if they have to make one up. Maybe the clones being around earlier has something to do with that.

Edited by Lightchao42

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, Square (or really Nomura) needs to learn to not announce things way too early.

Yeah, this gets annoying, for sure. I'm happy for anyone that enjoys FF VII, of course, i'm just not really among them. Not to say they won't fix the aspects I didn't like, but I wont hold my breath, either. Still, since i'm a fan I have to give it a fair chance.

Edited by lightcosmo

I was looking forward to this right up until the announcement that they'll be breaking the game up into parts. The game looks gorgeous and I'd love to experience FF7 but not if I'm going to be ripped off. I want to know what they'll be doing with the whole release in parts thing before I put any money toward this game and if they think I'm gonna spend more than 60 bucks for the whole game they're not getting my money.

6 hours ago, Aiddon said:

-Looks at trailer-

Because Nomura can't write for shit. Like, why the fuck is he putting Death Eaters (i'm guessing those are the clones you're refering to) in the scene where Cloud and Aerith meet? That scene was perfectly fine but it ain't a Nomura game without pointless "darkness".

3 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Speaking of which, shouldn't that official confirmation be specifying that Episode 1 is releasing 3/3/20 and not the whole game?

Yeah, they haven't specified yet, even though we know it's just one Episode.

By the way, i've been playing through the original FF7. I'm at Gold Saucer and i can say with confidence that there is no reason to split the remake up.

I'm curious to see if, given that they are willing to change a few aspects of the story...you think they'll have Aerith survive? Or have an option to bring her back? I doubt they'll do that, but it would sure be a tremendously callous thing to do.

I'm not sure. There are big plot points that involve Aerith being dead in order to work. It would involve some big changes to the plot... which while they could be done disregarding the original game... well, then it's no longer a remake, but a reboot, as it is. Then again...

17 minutes ago, Dai said:

I'm curious to see if, given that they are willing to change a few aspects of the story...you think they'll have Aerith survive? Or have an option to bring her back? I doubt they'll do that, but it would sure be a tremendously callous thing to do.

the thing is, apparently they are already changing some stuff in the story. there's good chances we're going to get an alternative version of the original story, so anything could happen.

if they really wanted to make a true and loyal remake, all they had to do was just to keep and improve the original gameplay mechanics, while changing all the old PSOne graphics and turn them into next gen. that would've been the perfect compromise for old fans and new players.

what we have now looks very similar to FF XV/KH III when it comes to commands and gameplay, so it's safe to consider it already a different game that got just inspired by the original in terms of story.

i honestly wouldn't mind having a way to save Aerith in this new game( let's pretend she's not beautiful beyond words ), however since it's only the first episode and it's all about the starting Midgar arc, i guess that won't be an issue for now.

2 hours ago, Dai said:

I could indeed see Nomura doing something that tonedeaf and stupid. This is the guy who tried to work in his love letter to Gackt into the Nibelheim incident.

17 minutes ago, Aiddon said:

I could indeed see Nomura doing something that tonedeaf and stupid. This is the guy who tried to work in his love letter to Gackt into the Nibelheim incident.

Oof. I forgot about Genesis. Shit, he'll probably get worked in too, huh?

I will admit, I do still love the scene with Angeal, Genesis, and Sephiroth on the Junon Cannon. If only for The Price of Freedom and One Winged Angel back-to-back. And how flashy it is.

Edited by Dai

The writing in FF VII is terrible to me, I don't understand how people can say it's story is so fantastic. It's so bland, just like the characters. Hoping it gets addressed, at least somewhat, though I doubt it it's nice to hope, right?

If you'll excuse me being a heretic here...

I actually liked what I played of FF7 (up to the date scene) more than FF6.  I don't know what it is, but I found 7's gameplay way more enjoyable than 6's.  6 has an excellent story, don't get me wrong, but gameplay always, always, always trumps story for me.  If the gameplay is worse than the story, you're better off just reading a book.  I may have spent too much time in 6 grinding or something.

I have poor opinions of FE4 and Mother 3 for similar reasons.

25 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

If you'll excuse me being a heretic here...

I actually liked what I played of FF7 (up to the date scene) more than FF6.  I don't know what it is, but I found 7's gameplay way more enjoyable than 6's.  6 has an excellent story, don't get me wrong, but gameplay always, always, always trumps story for me.  If the gameplay is worse than the story, you're better off just reading a book.  I may have spent too much time in 6 grinding or something.

I have poor opinions of FE4 and Mother 3 for similar reasons.

Gameplay > story is perfectly valid reasoning.

As for VI's gameplay, it is the link between IV's and VII's. The unique abilities everyone has like Terra's Morph and Cyan's Bushido are like the unique abilities of IV's cast, while Magicite is the predecessor to Materia, and Desperation Attacks are the simple prototypes Limit Breaks build upon.

As for VI vs VII as a whole, it's generally considered an even war. The most ambitious of an old era, against the first (and usually considered the best) of a new era. Although if all you've played is IV, VI, and VII, then try V, since that is the most gameplay-oriented of the SNES trio.

54 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

The writing in FF VII is terrible to me, I don't understand how people can say it's story is so fantastic. It's so bland, just like the characters. Hoping it gets addressed, at least somewhat, though I doubt it it's nice to hope, right?

Well in part that has something to do with a bad translation I'd certainly say. Things weren't good in that department for video games yet, on the whole that is.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well in part that has something to do with a bad translation I'd certainly say. Things weren't good in that department for video games yet, on the whole that is.

What makes Cloud an appealing character, though? I like FF VIII so much more for that reason.