Final Fantasy VII: Remake-It Exists!

Dai

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

What makes Cloud an appealing character, though? I like FF VIII so much more for that reason.

I think it's more because of his growth. Most people consider him mopey and emo, largely in part due to the expanded universe and Kingdom Hearts, but in VII, he isn't like that at all. He starts out...rather uncaring, almost callous, even, simply there to do the job he was hired to do, which later becomes single-minded determination to find Sephiroth. Throughout the journey to find Sephiroth, however, he starts to care about those he's with, and met. A big part of that is breaking down the false image that he's given himself to cope with the SHEER ridiculous trauma that he underwent.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

i can say with confidence that there is no reason to split the remake up.

I'll give you a reason: Square Enix knows it can make more money if they split it up into parts, rather than have the whole game on one disk (and they know that people like you will pay for it).

Anyway, certain parts of the internet are pissed off that Tifa's bust apparently got nerfed, which I find hilarious.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

3 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Anyway, certain parts of the internet are pissed off that Tifa's bust apparently got nerfed, which I find hilarious.

Looks comparable to Advent Children.

Seriously? Are boobs that much of a problem? Reminds me of the reaction to Ultimate Samus.

3 minutes ago, Dai said:

Seriously? Are boobs that much of a problem? Reminds me of the reaction to Ultimate Samus.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Sony is trying to nerf sexual fanservice on all of its games now to "protect its reputation".

What a world we live in where Nintendo has the go-to console for that kind of content.

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Sony is trying to nerf sexual fanservice on all of its games now to "protect its reputation".

Oh, right. I forgot about that.

Makes me think of a time when they wanted only 3D games for the PS1.

2 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

What a world we live in where Nintendo has the go-to console for that kind of content.

Hah, imagine trying to comvince someone in the 90's that eventually, Sony and Nintendo would reverse roles.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hah, imagine trying to comvince someone in the 90's that eventually, Sony and Nintendo would reverse roles.

Gotta wait for Sony to start nerfing religious anything, first.

I had my reservations with the combat system, considering how bad FFXV's gameplay was, but I think they might have nailed it this time. This looks excellent. This looks like it could make FF7 an industry defining game a second time.

Also, new Tifa is gorgeous. I don't care about the bust size reduction. She's perfect and I'm glad that this is the direction they took with her.

What I find most amusing on this is that, if I remember correctly, back then her bust size was a technical issue. It was either making it bigger than what it actually was... or make it practically non-existant. So this "change" would fall under a 'correction', regardless of what ultimately it's for. I think.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

What I find most amusing on this is that, if I remember correctly, back then her bust size was a technical issue. It was either making it bigger than what it actually was... or make it practically non-existant. So this "change" would fall under a 'correction', regardless of what ultimately it's for. I think.

I could believe that. Quite frankly, Final Fantasy VII on the PS1 is...an ugly game. The game's great, but the visuals did not age nearly as well. And, given the lack of experience with 3D modelling at the time, I can believe features such as breast size were exaggerated.

Come to think of it, there's also that story that Lara Croft's own bust size was due to someone accidentaly adding an extra 0... and they liked the result, so they didn't bothered to correct it.

24 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

(and they know that people like you will pay for it).

But i don't have anything to play it on. Also, i'm not really a Final Fantasy fan. I've liked what i've played of the original FF7 so far but i'm only playing it to say that i've played it. I don't have any actual interest in the rest of the series.

Anyway, the gameplay looks great, they confirmed it's not being split up into Episodes but rather, discs (unless it's two discs for Episode 1 of FF7), and the visuals are amazing as always. Just gotta hope Nomura doesn't fuck up the writing (he probably will, it's Nomura).

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Anyway, the gameplay looks great, they confirmed it's not being split up into Episodes but rather, discs (unless it's two discs for Episode 1 of FF7)

Called it!

If I do try to play Final Fantasy VII again, I'll probably play the Switch port since I don't have a PS4.

4 hours ago, Dai said:

I think it's more because of his growth. Most people consider him mopey and emo, largely in part due to the expanded universe and Kingdom Hearts, but in VII, he isn't like that at all. He starts out...rather uncaring, almost callous, even, simply there to do the job he was hired to do, which later becomes single-minded determination to find Sephiroth. Throughout the journey to find Sephiroth, however, he starts to care about those he's with, and met. A big part of that is breaking down the false image that he's given himself to cope with the SHEER ridiculous trauma that he underwent.

Like I said earlier inthe thread, Cloud is a very complex character who goes though this really complicated arc dealing with self-loathing, failure, loss, forgiveness, identity, it's really something else. This is the kind of stuff you can devoted years of narrative towards. And the fact that comes through despite a wonky translation is a testament to the story.

As for the game itself, verdict: eh. Again, looks like Nomura has once again misread the game he supposedly worked on. Nomura, we don't need to explore all of Midgar, that's just padding and it was the least-interesting part of the story. Tifa looks good though.

5 hours ago, Aiddon said:

Like I said earlier inthe thread, Cloud is a very complex character who goes though this really complicated arc dealing with self-loathing, failure, loss, forgiveness, identity, it's really something else. This is the kind of stuff you can devoted years of narrative towards. And the fact that comes through despite a wonky translation is a testament to the story.

As for the game itself, verdict: eh. Again, looks like Nomura has once again misread the game he supposedly worked on. Nomura, we don't need to explore all of Midgar, that's just padding and it was the least-interesting part of the story. Tifa looks good though.

Really, I didn't gather most of this, considering it's hard to take the story line seriously when you have characters saying things like the in place swearing symbols, it's just silly. And he hardly interacts with the others, making him a pain to see on screen.

Judging the crowd's reaction and the internet to Tifa, there sure are a lot of fans out there. Going to take a while for me to get used to the stockings, sports bra, and changes in the chest region that's what mods are for. I like how they demonstrate an idea of how the same works with the first boss of the game. All of the new voice actors sounds spot on. At this point, I may need to be in cryosleep to make the wait faster for 2020 games.

15 hours ago, Dai said:

As a boob guy, I can't say I'm not a bit disappointed. Other than that, though, I find the rest of her design changes to be spot on, so I'm generally more satisfied than not. (Black worn underneath white happens to be totally my thing.)

15 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I'll give you a reason: Square Enix knows it can make more money if they split it up into parts, rather than have the whole game on one disk (and they know that people like you will pay for it).

They can also fit more game into the game if they split it up into parts. It also lets them release the game earlier. At least, that's the optimist's viewpoint.

In "multiple disks". Why ? What is the difference between that, and well, parts ?
I mean, yes, money, that's a valid reason, but crap, that's a bad valid reason. 

The only reason I'm bothered by Tifa's breast is the fact that it kinda break the Boobs of Steel Trope.
By bothered, understand 'I care enough to talk about it, but I'll probably forgot about it.'

I'm far more concerned about what 'part/disk' means.

17 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

What a world we live in indeed. It reminds me of how surprised I was at seeing Senran Kagura on freaking 3DS.
Learning that I had to say bye-bye to future Senran because of Sony being anti-"sexual fanservice" nazi or whatever they want to call their lack of balls... is annoying to say the least.

The double standard that it suffer is hilarious. And hypocrite, but hey, double standard and all that good stuff, amiright.

That would be a change I wouldn't mind.

Heck, the original VII did that with Diamond WEAPON. Wasn't fightable in the original Japanese release, it was made a boss for the overseas market. So I could see the same thing happening to Sapphire.

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That would be a change I wouldn't mind.

Heck, the original VII did that with Diamond WEAPON. Wasn't fightable in the original Japanese release, it was made a boss for the overseas market. So I could see the same thing happening to Sapphire.

I wonder how they'd do it. Sapphire seems aquatic like the Emerald Weapon. Maybe make Sapphire fightable from the Tiny Bronco, as like a surface sea fight, instead of a deep sea fight like Emerald.

Edited by Slumber

14 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I wonder how they'd do it. Sapphire seems aquatic like the Emerald Weapon. Maybe make Sapphire fightable from the Tiny Bronco, as like a surface sea fight, instead of a deep sea fight like Emerald.

I would think it may be more a matter of when. Sapphire approaches Junon, fires the beam that gashes the building, making the hole Tifa uses to escape the gas chamber, then rears up for another shot which then the Shinra Cannon finishes it off.

The whole Junon sequence is subject to change. Assuming it remains as-is, the prime opportunities to allow a battle would be shortly after Shapphire reaches Junon... or they have it survive the blast. Personally, I'd like the latter to not happen. It's amusingly ironic how the Shinra effectively finish off three WEAPONS pretty much on their own (Sapphire, Diamond, and Jade, this last one by the (ex)Turks as shown in Before Crisis), I kinda want that to stay.

Thing is, if it's the former, you would only have Barret, Cait Sith, and Yuffie (I want to say probably; but what are the chances Yuffie and Vincent will remain optional party members this time around?) in the party. Since Tifa would still be trapped in the gas chamber, Cid is busy taking over the Highwind, and Red XIII and Vincent are... well, I don't think they ever show what they were up to during the Junon events. Probably helping Cid or so. Then again, it might not be a bad idea... if not, well, the "actually survives the cannon blast" route can potentially have everyone present to finish the job.

E3 sold me on FF7R, I was probably gonna get it anyways, but them finally explaining how the damn combat works went a very long way. 

Cloud and Barrets banter was good, and most folks look to be in character so far, hopefully Aerith doesn't get hit by "i'm a patron saint" because she really wasn't.

13 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I would think it may be more a matter of when. Sapphire approaches Junon, fires the beam that gashes the building, making the hole Tifa uses to escape the gas chamber, then rears up for another shot which then the Shinra Cannon finishes it off.

The whole Junon sequence is subject to change. Assuming it remains as-is, the prime opportunities to allow a battle would be shortly after Shapphire reaches Junon... or they have it survive the blast. Personally, I'd like the latter to not happen. It's amusingly ironic how the Shinra effectively finish off three WEAPONS pretty much on their own (Sapphire, Diamond, and Jade, this last one by the (ex)Turks as shown in Before Crisis), I kinda want that to stay.

Thing is, if it's the former, you would only have Barret, Cait Sith, and Yuffie (I want to say probably; but what are the chances Yuffie and Vincent will remain optional party members this time around?) in the party. Since Tifa would still be trapped in the gas chamber, Cid is busy taking over the Highwind, and Red XIII and Vincent are... well, I don't think they ever show what they were up to during the Junon events. Probably helping Cid or so. Then again, it might not be a bad idea... if not, well, the "actually survives the cannon blast" route can potentially have everyone present to finish the job.

I'd want it to be that it survives the blast to the face by the Sister Ray.

Something weird that happens in FF7 is the Sister Ray goes from a shell-type weapon when it kills the Sapphire Weapon, to a beam type weapon after they hook it up to the Mako Reactors in Midgar and fire on the Diamond Weapon and the Northern Crater. It could be further elaborated that Shinra needed to make massive upgrades to it if they want to fight the Weapons and Sephiroth, and the catalyst of this realization was the Sister Ray's inability to put down the Sapphire Weapon.

Then you could save the Sapphire Weapon as a optional boss fight like Emerald, Ruby and Ultimate.

Anyway, what are some more logical cut-offs in the story for FF7? If Midgar is "Disc 1", what would be Disc 2, 3, 4, etc? The way I see it, the game can be split up into roughly 4 equal chunks if they're expanding Midgar's content to be 30-40 hours.

• "Disc 2" would likely be the end of disc 1 in the original, ending with the events in the Forgotten City.
  • "Disc 3" is the hardest to find an end point for. Disc 2 and 3 in the original are pretty light on new content compared to all of disc 1, and the events are a lot more interconnected. There's no real good end point for the events of "Disc 3" until you finish the revisit Midgar and kill Hojo. But Disc 3 could be condensed to losing Cloud, finding Cloud, obtaining the Huge Materia, and then beginning the raid on Midgar. Due to how many events happen in Midgar, I could see the death of the Diamond Weapon as the end of "Disc 3".
  • "Disc 4" would be the raid on Midgar and the Northern Crater. Together these events could be expanded to 30-40 hours.

With the development of the current FF7R build being about 2 years, this would mean FF7 would be done by 2025-2026.

Edited by Slumber