Final Fantasy VII: Remake-It Exists!

Dai

8 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I'd want it to be that it survives the blast to the face by the Sister Ray.

Something weird that happens in FF7 is the Sister Ray goes from a shell-type weapon when it kills the Sapphire Weapon, to a beam type weapon after they hook it up to the Mako Reactors in Midgar and fire on the Diamond Weapon and the Northern Crater. It could be further elaborated that Shinra needed to make massive upgrades to it if they want to fight the Weapons and Sephiroth, and the catalyst of this realization was the Sister Ray's inability to put down the Sapphire Weapon.

Then you could save the Sapphire Weapon as a optional boss fight like Emerald, Ruby and Ultimate.

They were alreay modifying the cannon to penetrate the barrier at the Northern Crater. Besides, I would think the beam was simply the result of having more energy to draw from. Midgard's eight reactors compared to Junon's single one. With Sapphire, it was basically a lucky shot. The thing positioned itself for a clear headshot. It's possible Diamond might've also bite it from just the shell-like blast, as well.

... come to think of it, why did both of them deliberately positioned themselves in the cannon's path. It's like they wanted to be destroyed...

Not sure on making it optional. Sapphire was determined to destroy Junon... or so. Might as well just make it the boss of the whole story segment. Keep in mind that, just like Diamond, being a boss doesn't exclude it from still being destroyed like how it happens during the storyline.

Anyway...

14 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Anyway, what are some more logical cut-offs in the story for FF7? If Midgar is "Disc 1", what would be Disc 2, 3, 4, etc? The way I see it, the game can be split up into roughly 4 equal chunks if they're expanding Midgar's content to be 30-40 hours.

• "Disc 2" would likely be the end of disc 1 in the original, ending with the events in the Forgotten City.
  • "Disc 3" is the hardest to find an end point for. Disc 2 and 3 in the original are pretty light on new content compared to all of disc 1, and the events are a lot more interconnected. There's no real good end point for the events of "Disc 3" until you finish the revisit Midgar and kill Hojo. Due to how many events happen in Midgar, I could see the death of the Diamond Weapon as the end of "Disc 3".
  • "Disc 4" would be the raid on Midgar and the Northern Crater. Together these events could be expanded to 30-40 hours.

I can see Cloud and Tifa's fall into the Lifestream, before the long sequence within, as a good spot for a disc-ending. If needed, turn the fight against Ultimate WEAPON into a proper boss (not that it's needed, the original was lenient in that the JENOVA*LIFE boss could be excised and not detract from the sequence; Ultimate can remain a 'survive for X turns' boss). Alternatively, the disc can end after the Lifestream sequence.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

They were alreay modifying the cannon to penetrate the barrier at the Northern Crater. Besides, I would think the beam was simply the result of having more energy to draw from. Midgard's eight reactors compared to Junon's single one. With Sapphire, it was basically a lucky shot. The thing positioned itself for a clear headshot. It's possible Diamond might've also bite it from just the shell-like blast, as well.

... come to think of it, why did both of them deliberately positioned themselves in the cannon's path. It's like they wanted to be destroyed...

Not sure on making it optional. Sapphire was determined to destroy Junon... or so. Might as well just make it the boss of the whole story segment. Keep in mind that, just like Diamond, being a boss doesn't exclude it from still being destroyed like how it happens during the storyline.

Anyway...

They were always planning on bringing it to Midgar(Well "Always" once Sephiroth put the barrier up), but I think it's plausible that Sapphire was the first time they used the Sister Ray on such a powerful object. It could just be an extra line of dialogue to establish that the Weapons and Sephiroth are far stronger than Shinra was anticipating, and need to make more adjustments than planned to destroy Weapons and the barrier.

Also, the Sister Ray in Junon, and its entire military base in general, is positioned above a Mako Reactor, and they were baiting the Diamond Weapon at Midgar. Since the Weapons are drawn to high-Mako areas, it's why Sapphire and Diamond conveniently line up with the Sister Ray.

And the main reason I have a hard time making Sapphire mandatory is that there's realistically no place to put it in Junon before Tifa Makes her escape. Having it just on the streets of Junon while Barret, Cait Sith, Red XIII, Yuffie, Vincent and Cid run around would be a bit awkward. The only place I could see it happening other than that is on the barrel of the Sister Ray, and I think would also be a bit awkward. Also seeing the party fend off a Weapon that early after they're released by the Earth wouldn't sell them as a threat, I don't think. Saving it as an optional boss gives another end-game superboss to fight, which is always a plus.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I can see Cloud and Tifa's fall into the Lifestream, before the long sequence within, as a good spot for a disc-ending. If needed, turn the fight against Ultimate WEAPON into a proper boss (not that it's needed, the original was lenient in that the JENOVA*LIFE boss could be excised and not detract from the sequence; Ultimate can remain a 'survive for X turns' boss). Alternatively, the disc can end after the Lifestream sequence.

The problem I have with this placement is that's not much content of Disc 2. It'd be the journey through Icicle, the first trip through the Gaea Cliffs to the Northern Crater where you fight Schizo, the Junon Escape, saving Corel and Fort Condor(Which would be three reused areas), and then finding Cloud in Mideel. For context, in the original, there are a total of three boss fights through that course of events(Jenova-LIFE, Schizo and Ultimate Weapon who runs away). Even if you were to add Sapphire into that mix, it'd be pretty lack luster in terms of content. Disc 2 in the original doesn't really pick up until Cloud's back in the party, at least action-wise.

Edited by Slumber

3 hours ago, Slumber said:

They were always planning on bringing it to Midgar(We'll "Always" once Sephiroth put the barrier up), but I think it's plausible that Sapphire was the first time they used the Sister Ray on such a powerful object. It could just be an extra line of dialogue to establish that the Weapons and Sephiroth are far stronger than Shinra was anticipating, and need to make more adjustments than planned to destroy Weapons and the barrier.

Also, the Sister Ray in Junon, and its entire military base in general, is positioned above a Mako Reactor, and they were baiting the Diamond Weapon at Midgar. Since the Weapons are drawn to high-Mako areas, it's why Sapphire and Diamond conveniently line up with the Sister Ray.

And the main reason I have a hard time making Sapphire mandatory is that there's realistically no place to put it in Junon before Tifa Makes her escape. Having it just on the streets of Junon while Barret, Cait Sith, Red XIII, Yuffie, Vincent and Cid run around would be a bit awkward. The only place I could see it happening other than that is on the barrel of the Sister Ray, and I think would also be a bit awkward. Also seeing the party fend off a Weapon that early after they're released by the Earth wouldn't sell them as a threat, I don't think. Saving it as an optional boss gives another end-game superboss to fight, which is always a plus.

Diamond could come from any other direction towards Midgard. Or at least move out of the cannon's way at any point. I can give you Sapphire since assaulting Junon from the sea doesn't leave much room for direction... but placing itself in front of the cannon that had already fired at it just before still shows not much self-preservation.

Well, I see it differnetly. It can work. Sapphire kinda does or comes close to impacting Junon. Those of the party who can just decide to battle it right there and then before it rises. Alternatively, treat it like Ultimate, and have the party fight in the Highwind's platform. They don't need to fend it off or even destroy it. Like I said, it can be like Diamond. Diamond wasn't fought originally. THe added boss battle made it so Cloud and company comment they can't fend it off, then retreat back to the airship while the cannon does it work. Same could happen here. This can also sell off the idea that the WEAPONS are a league of their own, needing something big like the Mako Cannon to finish them off.

Can't say I like the idea of making it an optional boss. Half the WEAPONS are already optional, for things that supposedly are meant to protect the planet from what threatens it (which ends up incluiding humanity when you consider Sapphire, Diamond, Jade I believe, and Ultimate's attack on Mideel), few actually seem to actually do something about it. The rest seem to just be doing their own thing. It kinda sells them short, as it is.

The problem I have with this placement is that's not much content of Disc 2. It'd be the journey through Icicle, the first trip through the Gaea Cliffs to the Northern Crater where you fight Schizo, the Junon Escape, saving Corel and Fort Condor(Which would be three reused areas), and then finding Cloud in Mideel. For context, in the original, there are a total of three boss fights through that course of events(Jenova-LIFE, Schizo and Ultimate Weapon who runs away). Even if you were to add Sapphire into that mix, it'd be pretty lack luster in terms of content. Disc 2 in the original doesn't really pick up until Cloud's back in the party, at least action-wise.

Well, like you said, if the Midgard portion can be expanded to be a full-disc's worth of content, why not that segment as well? The trek from the Forbidden Capital to the Northern Crater alone can have much more added to it. The portions with Tifa and Cid as party leaders can be expanded as well.

For example, for your concern about number of bosses. Well, you can turn the Elena encounter at Icicle into a boss battle. Keep Schizo at the Gaea Cliffs and Jenova*DEATH at the Whirlwind Maze (it's DEATH, not LIFE; LIFE is fought just after Aerith dies but before the disc ends). Turn Sapphire into a boss. Add a boss to the Corel segment. Turn the Fort Condor sequence into an actual seige rather than just being doing the mini-game once more time, with a proper boss as well. Turn Ultimate into an actual boss as well.

There, that's seven boss encounters. Which, incidentally, would be one less than the entire Midgard sequence, which has eight: Guard Scorpion, Air Buster, Aps, Reno, Sample H0512, Hundred/Helli Gunner, Rufus and Dark Nation, and Motor Ball.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Saving it as an optional boss gives another end-game superboss to fight, which is always a plus.

There is an option for this and keeping the Junon events. Sapphire gets shot, Sapphire sinks to the bottom of the ocean, still alive, but recovering. You go down there and stop it during this process.

Although on this note, they're going to have to revise what the Underwater Materia does. They should make it mandatory and for realism say it makes you able to move through water like air (increased floatiness in the physics for one superboss sounds wrong), increases one's weight so they sink, and do as it already does and makes breathing underwater possible. 

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Can't say I like the idea of making it an optional boss. Half the WEAPONS are already optional, for things that supposedly are meant to protect the planet from what threatens it (which ends up incluiding humanity when you consider Sapphire, Diamond, Jade I believe, and Ultimate's attack on Mideel), few actually seem to actually do something about it. The rest seem to just be doing their own thing. It kinda sells them short, as it is.

There could be a solution that allows for both present WEAPONs and those already optional.

I was thinking in line with what I just suggest of Sapphire above, that the WEAPONs be made very resilient and regenerative. You shoot a WEAPON once to the point it retreats, The Planet willingly lets it tap into the Lifestream, it heals itself good as new and attacks again within days/weeks/months later. 

The WEAPONs in this case would win any war of attrition. They still deal massive damage when active (and scarring up more towns to reflect WEAPON devastation once they show up in the story sounds great to me), and that damage to human civilization would be too frequent to heal it all between WEAPON strikes. On the other hand, none of humanity's counterattacks can stick. Eventually, the WEAPON rampages destroy civilization and smash away the tools used by humanity to stop them. And if that never happens because The Planet can no longer heal the WEAPONs, then that must mean the Lifestream is very close to very dead, which isn't exactly good for humanity either.

As for how to explain the optional boss battles. I guess we can make the WEAPONs think "Now is not the time to attack humanity. Now is time to take a defensive stance and prepare to destroy Meteor. We tried annihilating humanity, but we failed for now. We can do it again later, but Meteor is getting too close and intercepting it once it gets closer is our top priority." The excuse for destroying them then becomes "If we let them stop Meteor/live, they'll still kill us all later. We humanity, united under the Buster Sword, must use Holy and stop Meteor ourselves, without any reliance on the WEAPONs. The WEAPONs are our enemies, not our friends, and must therefore be destroyed, be it before or after Meteor".

-Although now that I think about it, the regenerating WEAPONs sounds a bit too similar to Silent Cockroach's Vice Monster. And do we really want to get too close to that?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Looking back, they certainly were quick to degrade the WEAPONs. Back in the original Japanese release of VII, they really were presented as formidable imminent threats. This is because the optional ones, Ruby and Emerald, didn't exist; and Diamond wasn't a boss. So outside of Ultimate (which still had its moment of forcing the party to flee from Mideel), there was basically nothing the party could do against them. Ironically, it was the usage of the Mako Cannon that protected humanity from them, killing the WEAPONs with the very thing they were suppose to protect (the Lifestream, turned into energy to power the cannon). Quite the contrast, no?

Then they added Ruby and Emerald and made Diamond fightable for the overseas release. Making the party able to say they can confront the WEAPONs; and even destroy them if needed. Aditionally, you have the fact Ruby and Emerald pretty much do nothing. Unless you tell me Ruby was, like, waiting for when the Golden Saucer was at max capacity to kill them off all at once, it makes the idea that they're just chilling around and then Cloud and company rear in to beat them up for no apparent reason. lol

Anyway... well, I still hope for a fightable Sapphire that still has to be destroyed with the Mako Cannon. Though, well, if it happens otherwise, or even remains as-is like in the original game... that's fine too, I guess.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

21 hours ago, Slumber said:

Anyway, what are some more logical cut-offs in the story for FF7? If Midgar is "Disc 1", what would be Disc 2, 3, 4, etc? The way I see it, the game can be split up into roughly 4 equal chunks if they're expanding Midgar's content to be 30-40 hours.

• "Disc 2" would likely be the end of disc 1 in the original, ending with the events in the Forgotten City.
  • "Disc 3" is the hardest to find an end point for. Disc 2 and 3 in the original are pretty light on new content compared to all of disc 1, and the events are a lot more interconnected. There's no real good end point for the events of "Disc 3" until you finish the revisit Midgar and kill Hojo. But Disc 3 could be condensed to losing Cloud, finding Cloud, obtaining the Huge Materia, and then beginning the raid on Midgar. Due to how many events happen in Midgar, I could see the death of the Diamond Weapon as the end of "Disc 3".
  • "Disc 4" would be the raid on Midgar and the Northern Crater. Together these events could be expanded to 30-40 hours.

With the development of the current FF7R build being about 2 years, this would mean FF7 would be done by 2025-2026.

it could eventually go like this:

- disc 1 ends when the party escapes from Midgar;

- disc 2 ends when a certain tragic event happens(if it will happen again) - or after the final battle with Hojo;

- disc 3 will continue up to the northern crater, where Sephiroth is waiting.

unless they can hopefully put everything else on the 2nd disc, but considering what they did before with FF XIII and how long it took them to complete Lightning's saga, i'm not very optimistic.

On 6/12/2019 at 7:35 PM, Slumber said:

With the development of the current FF7R build being about 2 years, this would mean FF7 would be done by 2025-2026.

Which would mean it would probably end up on the PlayStation 5. Granted, the PS5 is supposed to be backwards compatible, meaning you could play the entire game on one system, but having to fork out extra money for a new console in order to play the last part of the game sucks.

On 6/11/2019 at 7:01 PM, Ice Dragon said:

They can also fit more game into the game if they split it up into parts. It also lets them release the game earlier. At least, that's the optimist's viewpoint.

They can also make more "Collector's Editions" for each part too, and assuming they're the same price as the Collectors Edition for the first part ($330), that's quite a nice chunk of cash they'd be making.

disc 2 ends when a certain tragic event happens(if it will happen again)

Yes, the certain tragic event that pretty much everyone knows what it is, and thus it really isn't a spoiler anymore.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

3 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Which would mean it would probably end up on the PlayStation 5. Granted, the PS5 is supposed to be backwards compatible, meaning you could play the entire game on one system, but having to fork out extra money for a new console in order to play the last part of the game sucks.

I imagine they'll keep it cross-gen, at least for a while.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

I imagine they'll keep it cross-gen, at least for a while.

The PS5 is reportedly coming out next year (2020), so there's no way, no matter how idealistic you are, that Sony is going to be making PS4 games five to six years after the PS5's launch (not like Ubisoft who announced Just Dance 2020 for the Wii at their E3 presentation this year).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

14 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

The PS5 is reportedly coming out next year (2020), so there's no way, no matter how idealistic you are, that Sony is going to be making PS4 games five to six years after the PS5's launch (not like Ubisoft who announced Just Dance 2020 for the Wii at their E3 presentation this year).

Something to keep in mind with the PS5, but if it's going to be able to play PS4 games without crazy added costs like the PS3's backwards compatability, it's very likely that the PS5 is going to basically be a much beefier PS4.

If that's the case, then making a weaker build for the PS4 and a stronger build for the PS5 would probably be similar to a PC running a game at low settings vs. high settings. They wouldn't be specifically making a new game for PS4, just tweaking the PS5 version to run on weaker hardware.

Though that probably only works with graphic fidelity on textures and models. If Sony wants a huge, seamless open world and crazy visual effects for part 2 onward, then that wouldn't be as easy to make cross gen. It either wouldn't work or would need to be tweaked way more.

Edited by Slumber

5 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

They can also make more "Collector's Editions" for each part too, and assuming they're the same price as the Collectors Edition for the first part ($330), that's quite a nice chunk of cash they'd be making.

The price markup from the deluxe edition to the first class edition is 250 USD and the only difference in the contents is the figure. As someone who buys a large number of figures, I can attest that that's the correct price ballpark for a figure of that type. For example, the retail price of the comparable Play Arts Kai Advent Children Cloud and Fenrir was over 300 USD.

If the figure weren't packaged with the game, then there would be no doubt in my mind that they'd be selling the figure standalone instead and for the same price. That results in the exact same amount of profit per unit sold compared to packaging it with the game instead.

The difference is that packaging it with the game increases consumer awareness of the figure's existence. That will boost sales of the number of figures, but still doesn't change the amount of profit earned per first class edition sold.

Edited by Ice Dragon

18 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Yes, the certain tragic event that pretty much everyone knows what it is, and thus it really isn't a spoiler anymore.

not everyone has played FFVII before, so i'd rather not be an ass and spoil the story for newcomers.

16 hours ago, Slumber said:

Something to keep in mind with the PS5, but if it's going to be able to play PS4 games without crazy added costs like the PS3's backwards compatability, it's very likely that the PS5 is going to basically be a much beefier PS4.

If that's the case, then making a weaker build for the PS4 and a stronger build for the PS5 would probably be similar to a PC running a game at low settings vs. high settings. They wouldn't be specifically making a new game for PS4, just tweaking the PS5 version to run on weaker hardware.

Though that probably only works with graphic fidelity on textures and models. If Sony wants a huge, seamless open world and crazy visual effects for part 2 onward, then that wouldn't be as easy to make cross gen. It either wouldn't work or would need to be tweaked way more.

Metal Gear Solid V had versions for both PS3 and PS4 back at the time of its release, and since not everyone will buy a PS5 right away, there's a chance we'll get two versions of FFVIIR sequels available for both PS4 and PS5. i'm sure SquareEnix wouldn't like to loose profit either, we'll see what they'll do.

12 hours ago, Jedi said:

Here's some rambling from Maximillian Dood who got to actually play the demo at E3

looks like i'm not the only one around here that follows Max, good to know.

Edited by Fenreir

7 hours ago, Fenreir said:

Metal Gear Solid V had versions for both PS3 and PS4 back at the time of its release, and since not everyone will buy a PS5 right away, there's a chance we'll get two versions of FFVIIR sequels available for both PS4 and PS5.

Thing is, Metal Gear Solid 5 released when the PS4 was still pretty new. In this example, however, we are talking about a potential Part 4 of the FF7 Remake here, releasing in 2025/6, which would be five/six years into the PS5's lifespan. At this point, why would Sony be releasing PS4 games?

10 hours ago, Fenreir said:

looks like i'm not the only one around here that follows Max, good to know.

Yeah I mostly follow him for his FG stuff, but this was a nice bonus.

13 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Thing is, Metal Gear Solid 5 released when the PS4 was still pretty new. In this example, however, we are talking about a potential Part 4 of the FF7 Remake here, releasing in 2025/6, which would be five/six years into the PS5's lifespan. At this point, why would Sony be releasing PS4 games?

they could even change and shorten the story past the opening Midgar arc in order to fit everything else in a 2nd disc, for all we know.

the other towns aren't as huge as Midgar, exception made for Junon, the Gold Saucer and Wutai. and even then, in the original they weren't exactly fully explorable.

the main reason of separating the remake in parts was to make development easier, in order to have a starting chapter focused on Midgar to get people interested in the game, and then have an explorable open world like it was in the original that could be developed in the meantime.

however, since at the moment we don't even know how many parts there will actually be, it's kinda pointless to make assumptions for now.

the project started back in 2015 by the way. it was put on hold due to issues with CyberConnect back at the time, before taking the development back to Square Enix, otherwise it wouldn't have taken 5 years to get released.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/06/19/final-fantasy-vii-remake-director-tetsuya-nomura-confirms-cross-dressing-event-talks-tifas-design/

“The Keepers of Fate (black mist from the trailer) are mysterious beings that appear before the party. I want those who played the original game play it and also enjoy the new elements.”

“The Honey Bee Inn cross-dressing event will be there. It’ll be arranged with a modern touch. We made the facility like it was in the original version, but it felt extremely out of place, so we decided it was no good…”

“We wanted to give Tifa abs, so we made her an athletic style. The ethics department of the company also said we needed to tighten up her chest area so that it wouldn’t look unnatural during intense action. So that’s when we decided to go with the black underwear and tank top.”

I wonder how will the Honey Bee Inn play now?

Saying "our ethics department told us to do this" was probably the worst possible way to word that. It sounds like fodder to get the "SJWs are ruining video games" faction riled up for the umpteenth time. On the other hand, I'd find it immensely funny if it the wording were intentionally used to pressure said ethics department to back down (because that sounds like something I'd do in that situation).

I'd also find it funny, though less so, if they would just admit that they didn't want to deal with the physics to make it actually look good. (Bad jiggle physics is immersion-breaking for me, though "bad" and "unrealistic" are by no means the same thing.)

I still stand with my original opinion that the new outfit is an improvement, but that I would definitely prefer a few more sizes up.

34 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I wonder how will the Honey Bee Inn play now?

The wording makes it sound like it's just a visual redesign of the facility.

The Honey Bee Inn IIRC was just prostitution, right? Or was was there gender fluidity beyond Cloud? I don't recall going through all the options there which there seems to have been many of.

I can understand wanting to adjust it for a more modern context, times have changed. But at the end of the day, it can't change that much, since the whole point to the visit of Midgar's underside is to rescue Aerith from the disgusting Don Castrato.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

(Bad jiggle physics is immersion-breaking for me, though "bad" and "unrealistic" are by no means the same thing.)

Reminds me that I think I once heard in the case of Dead or Alive Xtreme (Beach Volleyball) 2, they made it so each mammary gland flesh sack can move separately of the other, resulting in some funky physics in practice.

It would be kinda cool if they reuse the very original Honey Bee Inn. What we saw in the finished game is only about half of the place, with several rooms and a few events dummied out. Can be checked out here. I've always thought it was very interesting to have cut content restored in a port/remake.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

"Our ethics department told us to do this". Interesting choice of words. 😛
But boy, am I happy to heard about Tifa's abs and breasts and design, truly, this is what I want to head from FF7R's development team. Gameplay ? Who gives a crap about that amirite ? 😛

More seriously, I'm actually fairy interested in that moment of the game. Although it left me fairly indiferent... It was funnier in machinabriedged. But boi was it funny, really funny, when Don "This guy are sick" Corneo chooses Cloud ! Good time.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Reminds me that I think I once heard in the case of Dead or Alive Xtreme (Beach Volleyball) 2, they made it so each mammary gland flesh sack can move separately of the other, resulting in some funky physics in practice.

Those were... "impressive". Not in a good way. In the "What" way.