I'm lost...

The game has too many characters and I'm only at chapter 4, I don't know who to use. I'm doing a Hard playthrough with no intention to reclass anyone besides MC(to see how they turn out) but I'm overwhelmed. What should I do? Who I should bother with? There are 77 playbale characters, man.

This game is not designed for a perfect run at all. If a unit dies you have to figure out who to replace them with. The only case a non-ironman run should be normal is if you are playing on Lunatic or something, in which case you can just use all of the absurdly broken units such as Palla and Sirius or just stick with a certain team in general.

Basically the game gives ya a load of options so you can adapt to a situation like losing units or units getting stat screwed, or try out different strategies.

Edited by CatManThree

Well, in terms of who may be good or bad...

Use maybe one or two of the starting cavaliers - Cecil, Rody, and/or Luke.  Arran sucks a lot, so only use him as a crutch.  Draug is good for what he is, but he's gonna have trouble keeping up movement-wise.  Use one of either Ryan or Gordin, I suppose, unless you plan to use hunters or your unit is an archer/hunter.  Mallesia is also pretty much the best healer in the game.

Using the pegasus knights you get (Catria, Palla, and Caeda/Shiida) is strongly recommended.  Having extremely mobile, fast units that ignore terrain restrictions makes a lot of seemingly impossible things possible, and it's worth the weakness they have against bow users.  Plus, they tend to have high resistance, which will help you with certain recruitments where you may have to talk to a character more than once.

Aside from that, Ogma and Navarre are good units.  Feena's also surprisingly useful both as a utility unit and as an actual combatant.  Linde also gets immediate access to some pretty good tomes, so she might be worth using.

I'd also say there are four particular units you should use a lot besides Marth and your avatar.  They are Julian, Sirius, Minerva, and Merric.  These units are actually fairly solid units (Merric gets immediate access to a stupidly good tome, Minerva gets a powerful axe, and the other two just have really solid stats), but I'll also say that building them up will help you tremendously in the long run.

But these are just the units I personally would recommend.  I'm pretty sure you can make virtually any other characters useful, though maybe you'll have to put in more effort with them (especially with Est).  You'll find that this game is more difficult than the previous, as there are more enemies and they employ some really dirty tactics at times (mainly in terms of reinforcement spawns), but I think you should be able to deal with it.  If you listen to all the base conversations and talks, you should have an easier time.