Jump to content
Around.about

Bad ads?

Recommended Posts

This is undoubtedly the wrong place to report this, but I have been repeatedly getting redirected to malware from the main site by something called goodluckday.sites 

I didn't screenshot it but it's the typical fake Facebook/YouTube spinner claim your reward type thing. 

If there is specific way to report bad ads please do point me in that direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had it happen on my iPhone (I still don't really know why, and I don't care enough to find out; it's the same awful website, though), but I don't think it's an issue on the end of the website because I can use it just fine on both my PCs.

You might want to do a wipe of your browser history (cookies and the like) and scan your computer with an anti-malware program like Malwarebytes.  You might also want to consult your download history and try to remember if you agreed to accepted any unusual offers from some independently-developed/3rd party software like Daemon Tools.  Many times when you download a program, they'll give you offers for malware that's disguised as helpful programs and toolbars - it is always advised to decline all offers and install only what you asked for.  If it's a phone, clear all history and website data on your preferred browser and maybe install the latest update if you haven't already done so.

This kind of thing just sounds like a malware or some kind of ISP/phone problem.  None of the ads on this site should force you to go onto another site unless you explicitly click on them.  That said, if there's a specific ad on the site that you find inappropriate or bad, you should contact one of the admins via this directory and be sure you get the name of whatever it is that's being advertised (whether it's the name of a physical product, a brand, or a website).  I'd recommend one of them that has an actual profile picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Around.about said:

This is undoubtedly the wrong place to report this, but I have been repeatedly getting redirected to malware from the main site by something called goodluckday.sites 

I didn't screenshot it but it's the typical fake Facebook/YouTube spinner claim your reward type thing. 

If there is specific way to report bad ads please do point me in that direction. 

PM me a screenshot of these ads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something similar was happening to me before I wiped my laptop. Not to be gloom and doom, but I'd guess at some form of malware/virus. I'm unsure if it's exactly what I had, but I have heard of malware that pretty much deletes your browser, and replaces it with a fake one loaded with bad popups like those. It may be Chrome specific, sorry I can't recall it better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am receiving constantly fishing mails by Amazon when entering this forum for 2-3 months already (even if I am not logged in). Unfortunately I do not know how to make a screenshot with my tablet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rosalina @Azure in a Roundabout

Screenshot these ads and send it to me via PM.  If this really is a problem with the ad network, it's fixable!  But the higher-ups need to know about this first!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HOLY SHIT I WAS ACTUALLY ABOUT TO MAKE A THREAD ABOUT THIS!

I've been bombarded with these things today.

did take a mobile screenshot, but it reveals the city I live in, and I don't really have an editing software on my tablet.

That and I don't feel comfortable revealing where I live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, for those who messaged me, it seems to be locked to a particular device.

FOR ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS THIS PROBLEM:

Run a malware scan on the affected devices.  Chances are, you're infected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might be a total dumb question, but can anti malware software be used for tablets as well since I only have that issue with this device? 

Edited by Rosalina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Rosalina said:

It might be a total dumb question, but can anti malware software be used for tablets as well since I only have that issue with this device? 

Yes, it'll be available as an app.  I'd grab one from a reputable AV company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eclipse said:

Yes, it'll be available as an app.  I'd grab one from a reputable AV company.

Any good suggestions specifically? Please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Any good suggestions specifically? Please.

Issue is that I've never used one, and I'm not sure how well desktop-to-mobile translates.  Perhaps AVG's AV is amazing on the mobile side, or they've upped their game since I last checked (several years ago).

The only "well-known" one I'd avoid are McAfee, and maybe Norton.  The McAfee one is from someone who knows about this better than most.  Norton used to give me a headache with all the crap they installed on their desktop version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Issue is that I've never used one, and I'm not sure how well desktop-to-mobile translates.  Perhaps AVG's AV is amazing on the mobile side, or they've upped their game since I last checked (several years ago).

The only "well-known" one I'd avoid are McAfee, and maybe Norton.  The McAfee one is from someone who knows about this better than most.  Norton used to give me a headache with all the crap they installed on their desktop version.

Yeah, I heard McAfee sucked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2019 at 5:42 AM, Espurrhoodie said:

Any good suggestions specifically? Please.

I have Sophos Mobile Security and it's been great, but idk how well it would work if you already have malware.

My suggestion is factory reset your tablet and then get Sophos right away afterward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

I have Sophos Mobile Security and it's been great, but idk how well it would work if you already have malware.

My suggestion is factory reset your tablet and then get Sophos right away afterward.

How do you factory reset your tablet, and would it delete anything I've downloaded?

EDIT: Nevermind, I reset it, and everything is being redownloaded.

Edited by Espurrhoodie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Not exactly sure if this counts as double posting, but...)

Now I'm getting something called happy.uslucky.xyz, which is the same thing as goodluckday, but I swear I got one of those "Hot moms in your area are looking for fun" ads while I was trying to back up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 9:21 AM, Espurrhoodie said:

"Hot moms in your area are looking for fun"

Those ads are all over my pages, frankly, they're pissing me off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Joshii said:

Those ads are all over my pages, frankly, they're pissing me off.

Not sure how you can get rid of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 6:03 PM, Joshii said:

Those ads are all over my pages, frankly, they're pissing me off.

Try clearing your web history fully, including cache, cookies and site data. Probably only one of these will be required but I forget which.

For Antivirus I personally use AVG. I hear solid stuff about Avast too.

Edited by Super Kempfnna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still getting these ads, and that's with Sophos and MalwareBytes installed.

I did scans with both, and they say I don't have any malware, so I'm not sure what's causing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...