Sky Blue: Journey of the Azure Girl Build 1.0.7 Part 1: The Incident

Nanami Touko

Jack didn't want to load his stomach up too much before their first quest, so he only had what he'd consider a drink and a snack ... it felt real, alright. Even by the time they arrived at the cave, Jack still felt like he'd 'put something on his stomach,' and that was a good thing. The last thing he wanted was to be distracted in a place like this. They could be facing enough issues in the dark. "We definitely need a vanguard. I can hold a shield and a lantern at the same time but that's going to make it harder to fight. You feylines can see better in the dark, right?"

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hmm... I have a lantern, but I'm not exactly frontline material. Got a lot more squishy bits than you hulking warrior types, y'know? Looks like I can see better than I'd expect too though... so if Clarissa wants t'be a frontliner, combined with our kitty-vision and one of the torches, she'd be like a super see-er genius type! Just stick next to ol'man Jose and you two can make a super vanguard, what with the cuttin' through the dark like a glowin' knife through, well, dark, and his bein' a super tanky dude. That's what I'd do anyway, nyahaha~" Felicity chimed in, sticking her head into the cave to look around despite disagreeing with the notion that she herself should be leading their exploration. Bobbing her head around and wagging her curious tail as she dipped her lantern's glow around corners, scoping the place out. 

"Ooh, a copper piece! Hehe, finders keepers~ Nyurgh... there's definitely goblins about in this place... it reeks of... gobliney business. Gross."

There they were now, at the mouth of the cave. Right away, they were already discussing how to proceed.

"Yes, I can certianly be part of the vanguard so long someone else holds their lantern," José added. "I can also guard the rear, just in case."

Charles and Alf had some idea of how the highlands looked from their previous scouting, but still... they had just worked out how combat work before they were called. Charles had his attention divided, sorting out their surroundings. It semeed that monsters weren't about to attack them in the open yet, which did little to calm the elf girl. He still wasn't convinced.

Alf, on his end, decided to stick to the front. When they reached the cave, he turned his ear, tuning to the sounds. "Don't think they caught our presence yet. Or at least I don't hear no steps." To be fair, he didn't know if the race and stats he picked helped or interfered with that. Half-Orcs didn't weren't the sharpest race out there, if he hazarded a guess.

"I-it is dark... well..." Charles had hoped for a more beginner friendly environment for their first quest, he had no reservations in his sigh, producing a flame from his fingertips. "I can, stay closer to the front. It doesn't take me much to make this." At least not out of combat. "But you! You'll be my meatshield." His tone quickly shifted as Charles adressed his partner in crime, or friend, same difference.

"Huh? Oh, back to ordering again?" Alfred poked fun at the shift in demeanor, "A shame. The shy girl act was a breath of fresh air." Charles threw an innefective punch at his friend, which elicited some laughter from the latter.

"I wouldn't mind going in first." Ammy volunteered herself, taking a quick peek inside after Felicity to confirm something. "...Yeah. Apparently, Oni can see better in the dark too. And if José really needs me to, I've got my own lantern and a weapon I can one-hand, though I'll lose a bit of my combat effectiveness. I guess we could have someone be a lantern-bearer, but I'm not sure who'd be the best person to do that."

While Felicity did some 'preliminary scouting' ... a.k.a. being a curious cat, Jack idly listened to the others as their suggestions came. He liked the idea of Ocelotlal ... Jose, being the vanguard, but he made a very good point about a rear guard, as well. Amaterawhatsit also seemed like a good fit for the role. So it looked like they had two good candidates and a few workable alternatives. Definitely enough for a vanguard and a rear guard. "Well we definitely need someone covering our backs. To keep it simple, why not have Jose guard the rear and Amy take the front? Anyone else can do the lantern thing." Jack shrugged. "I'll even do it. This way it won't matter if they try to hit us from behind once we're inside and Amy can use that maul of hers on the first goblins we bump into."

"Guess... We're up first, Jose." Clarissa sighed, shield up, sword out. Stepping into the cave... Her mind was expecting things to suddenly seem rather dark, but she could see just about the same as outside. "Huh. That's a perk... Let's, head on in, then." With some nervous few steps, she hoped either the mage or Felicity would make good on a torch, for everyone else. It did seem like this place was pretty long, though... "Hmmmm... Well, nothing at the entrance here. Come on in, everyone." Okay... This won't be as bad as I thought it was going to be. Phew. She started to smile... This would be easy. Probably...

The cave itself stretched out past the entrance, ceiling opening up somewhat and providing a longer tunnel to walk through. Faintly in the distance, a few forking paths could be seen. Which one was best to take would have to be left to their team's decision making.

Not being able to see much of anything that wasn't being directly lit from outside, Jack was quick to get to work on the lantern situation, before things got too dark for even that. "Prime real estate," he murmured as he got the lantern going, "I wonder what the monsters do in here all day ..." When the various paths came into view, Jack could only wince at first. He did not like the idea of splitting up, but who knew just how big this cave was, or how long it would take to explore the whole thing as a single group ... still better than splitting up, but also still a pain.

"Well ... if we've gotta pick one--screw splitting up, that's how people get picked off--I say we go~ ... right."

"I suppose it doesn't matter, either way," José shrugged, "so I'd say right as well."

He pretty much went with the first proposal made, as it were.

"Though now we really need to keep an eye behind us. A fork like this makes it a prime chance to get surrounded," he added.

Amertarsu already had her maul in hand before she even entered the cave, not willing to take any chances. When Jack pulled out the lantern she was relieved, not because it meant she could see, but because it meant she didn't have to do it. "They probably just sit around and wait to be aggro'd. I doubt time went into making them have societies." She answered Jack as they spotted the diverging paths, letting out an annoyed sound. "Tch. Can't just have a straight path huh? Hopefully, it doesn't really matter what way we take; though, right's right as far as I'm concerned."

"Nyahaha, we have a lantern already, but given not all y'all can see in th'dark, I'll light mine too. That way we can spread out the light a bit more... n'heck, if Jackie wants to stick near the front, I can light up our butts~" Felicity noted with a chuckle, lighting her lantern and holding it in place while she looped her tail through the handle, with any luck... letting her hands drop a bit, her tail was totes strong enough to hold that sucker. 

"Heehee~ It worked... free hands, bitcheeees~!" The feyline giggled to herself, falling towards the back of their formation as her usual tail-wagging ceased, the appendage now given a task to actually focus on.

'A fork... how wonderful." Charles was really hoping for something a bit more linear for their first quest. "Well, considering the nature of the quest, I don't think it matters... we'll probably end up checking all of them." It was extermination, right? A path for them to split on was definitely just a bait. "We're not splitting. That's for sure..." Charles kept going, sticking close to his half-orcish friend.

"Right's right by me too." Alf affirmed, rather indifferent to which path they chose.