Weight loss thread

Rayne

I did a weird mix of a keto and paleo diet, where I would mainly eat meat and vegetables with only a few carbs a day (about 50 for me), and doing crossfit for 5 days a week. It was pretty nice as I could still snack on pork rinds every now and then since they're a very low carb snack. Went from 245 to 220 a couple years ago. 

I'd personally say to cut carbs, you can still get fast food just cut the sugary drinks, fries, and throw away the bun, I would ho yo McDonalds and get 2 mcdoubles plain and throw the bun to my chickens in the yard if I had to get a quick meal in.

I'd say find a gym to work out at, personally I think working out in a group is a lot better as it helps keep you in check making sure your doing what you're supposed to be doing. I think crossfit is the best at this, and if you're interested the classes always have a scaled version of the workout if you're not strong enough to do the full one.

I've never exactly been overweight, but I was getting heavier than I liked last year.  In high school and until I started having kids, I was around 135-145 pounds.  Last year, I got up to about 165 lbs, which was the heaviest I had sans baby weighed.  I just started tracking my calories and making sure to stay below my limit in general, and I'm now down to 156 lbs, so it's been working.  I'm hoping to get down to at least 145 lbs again, so I can wear my old clothes without feeling too tight.

I was overweighted a couple of years ago mosty because of my work schedule. I spent really much time in office and didn't care much about my diet and physical activity in general, besides I didn't have much time for the last one. Only after changing my work I could concentrate on improving my physical shape and now I'm not overweighted anymore. But I should mention that the weight loss is a very individual thing and not all my methods can be effective for you too.
For me the most helpful ones were:

- changing my menu in general (I stopped to eat junk food at all, added more vegetables and fruits in my diet, and reduced general amount of sugar and soda both for my food and drinks)
- stopping skipping breakfast (its absence is one of risky factors for the weight gain https://www.verywellfit.com/is-skipping-breakfast-best-for-weight-loss-3496232 )
- having regular meals (because having meals according to certain schedule helps to burn more calories faster)
- drinking much water during the day (for example I had 5 cups per day, it's very good for body's health in general, cleansing it and losing the weight too)
- making physical exercises regurarly (I preferred fitness, I made my favourite complex everyday and also went to our local gym's swimming pool several times a week)

It's also recommended by doctors to have a medical examination before starting your weight loss work because sometimes it's caused with hormonal imbalance and other illnesses, and without the medical treatment all other weight loss methods can be useless at all. For example lack of human growth hormone often causes the weight gain, especially during aging, as also sleep disorders, hair loss, weak libido, loss of stamina, strength and many more .

Edited by Kivan

• 1 month later...

Yes, until the last year I had a worrying overweight until the point it started to affect my health. I didn't have any diet, I had depression and the work in the office didn't allow me to do any kind of exercise, so I got 205,03 lbs. After my doctor warned me I tried to change my diet in every way possible, trying to eat all the nutrients I can but not eating much (specially in the dinner, if I have to stay hungry for a few hours, welcome) and avoiding junk or packed food, even today it's not an easy task, I try to eat at least 4 times everyday but in little quantities. Since I'm working at the office and studying at the same time, it's hard for me to exercise often, so I need weekends for this.

The most remarkable change I noticed at first was the fact that I lost a lot of weight by changing only my diet. Right now I keep losing weight but slowly, and that surprised me because I exercise often and try to eat healthy, then "how come I lost so much weight by only changing my diet, but I'm slower now when I'm even exercising", and the doctor told me it was better slower than fast. I reached the conclusion that losing weight is changing completely your lifestyle. Good luck with that!

• 1 month later...

I've never been overweight, but a last year I'd gotten to the highest I'd ever been (155lbs) so I knew I needed to change.  My biggest hurdle right now is not drinking to pass time.  Alcohol has a ton of calories and is just terrible for a person anyway, but even when switching other habits, this one seems difficult to break.  Not that I get drunk at work or anything, but it's hard to pass night before a day off without alcohol.

I've been doing keto on and off for several years, and recently started doing 1200 cal a day, and even more recently one meal a day (omad).  I've also been going to the gym semi-regularly.  ~3 days a week, although I'm upping that now since I'll have to take hour lunch breaks and skip lunch more often than not due to omad dinner vs switching off lunch/dinner.  I've fluctuated between 140~150 depending on whether I was drinking or cheated and broke fast early.