E3 2019 - Hopes/Expectations

Anacybele

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Again, source? Proof? I have never seen anything stating that. Also, it doesn't make sense because of what I said before about characters from existing franchises in Smash being deserving of getting in.

First off, turns out that's a misquote by the internet. Big surprise.

Second, source for the ACTUAL quote: An interview with Reggie Fils-Aime during The Game Awards 2018

(Timestamp of 3:30:33 will take you to the right moment) And the quote itself:

"These are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5. Characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate." ~Reggie Fils-Aime

I mean, so far he's been right. Joker was the last person I expected, and I always thought Banjo Kazooie was no more than a dream locked behind legal battles.

Edited by Xenomata

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

First off, turns out that's a misquote by the internet. Big surprise.

Second, source for the ACTUAL quote: An interview with Reggie Fils-Aime during The Game Awards 2018

(Timestamp of 3:30:33 will take you to the right moment) And the quote itself:

"These are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5. Characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."

That doesn't sound like it's literally excluding characters from franchises already in the game. But at the same time, people WOULD anticipate Dixie, so this does stupidly exclude her. I don't understand this, because like I said, there are still characters from those franchises that are highly requested and deserve to be in, such as Dixie, or Impa from Zelda, or Rex and Pyra/Mythra from Xenoblade 2, and more. I think they said it "wasn't the right timing" for that third one or something like that, but yeah.

What an improvement over last year. All killer, no filler from Nintendo, it's way more than I expected. I can't name a single dud from these headlines. Maybe Panzer Dragoon, but I'll gladly be the only one in the room excited for a revival of that Sega Saturn franchise. The Zelda Maker thing in Link's Awakening is also a little weird. They didn't say anything about publishing your levels, so what would be the point? A little confounding. Animal Crossing also got a delay, but speaking for myself it wasn't unexpected. Fire Emblem was yet another CG trailer, for a game that's nearly out the door, that's obnoxious. And the only pokemon news was a new human character. Bo-ring. I guess they have to show something to communicate that it'll be at Treehouse. I rate this Direct a 9.3 out of 10. It doesn't have the sheer volume of games that other conferences had, but there was excellent variety, and even a new first party nintendo game which I explicitly bet against. Also the vast majority of games are 2019 releases which you cannot say about other conferences. And if you're going to do a surprise, make it a zelda game. Wonderful.

Edited by Glennstavos

About what I thought it would be.  But dang new Zelda hype and since it is reusing things from BOTW it will hopefully be out quicker then a brand new art design Zelda.  Still I am bummed about no SMTV news and I am starting to think it is not coming.

First off, can I say that for as excited for the Direct as I was,  I was disappointed.

...to see that I had to lower the quality of the stream to 480p and disable the chat just so I wouldn't have to keep reloading the page because "an error occurred". So I don't even know if any of what was shown even looks good cause it all looked kinda grainy and like it belonged on a Wii or Gamecube.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

That doesn't sound like it's literally excluding characters from franchises already in the game. But at the same time, people WOULD anticipate Dixie, so this does stupidly exclude her. I don't understand this, because like I said, there are still characters from those franchises that are highly requested and deserve to be in, such as Dixie, or Impa from Zelda, or Rex and Pyra/Mythra from Xenoblade 2, and more. I think they said it "wasn't the right timing" for that third one or something like that, but yeah.

It's not, but like I said it was misquoted, so people (myself included) made the wrong assumptions.

Xenoblade 2 they directly acknowledged in the final Smash Ultimate direct as it was announced after Ultimate began planning and its roster was already decided on. It's the reason why we only got a few songs and the Rex costume plus whatever spirits in the base game.

Nintendo's showing was just ok for me. Not a whole lot I'm personally interested in was show, Astral Chain is the only thing I'm actively looking forward to at this point, but I still might pick up some of the other games like Luigi's Mansion 3 if I've got the money for it. Smash Ultimate is an interesting case because it's something I've already paid for and let's just say that I was actually kinda disappointed. I have no personal investment in Dragon Quest or Banjo-Kazooie, granted I don't have any investment in Persona, but that at least was a really cool surprise. Dragon Quest was way too easy to see coming so I felt nothing at it's reveal and Banjo is another Krool character in the sense that the only reason he's in is because his annoyingly vocal fans wouldn't shut up about him. Overall I'd say my opinion of the Smash DLC so far is Joker>Banjo>Dragon Quest.

10 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

It's not, but like I said it was misquoted, so people (myself included) made the wrong assumptions.

Xenoblade 2 they directly acknowledged in the final Smash Ultimate direct as it was announced after Ultimate began planning and its roster was already decided on. It's the reason why we only got a few songs and the Rex costume plus whatever spirits in the base game.

I see.

And yeah, but that doesn't mean they'd decided on the DLC characters at that point yet.

11 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

About what I thought it would be.  But dang new Zelda hype and since it is reusing things from BOTW it will hopefully be out quicker then a brand new art design Zelda.  Still I am bummed about no SMTV news and I am starting to think it is not coming.

I'm bummed as well but apparently they announced it earlier then they honestly should have. In an interview they mentioned that they were still trying to get used to the new hardware.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I see.

And yeah, but that doesn't mean they'd decided on the DLC characters at that point yet.

We'll just have to wait and see. Apparently the DLC roster was made entirely by Nintendo with Sakurai deciding if they could be a fighter, so who knows what bunnies will appear from the hat. Maybe they'll be fuzzy and cute, or maybe we're about to have our jugulars ripped out.

@Wanderer-Of-Fates I hope not. I've explored all of Hyrule twice already, I'd rather the third be for the replay of BotW than for the sequel.

Edited by Xenomata

Really great Direct, I'd say. Dunno much about DQ, but having Akira Toriyama representation in Smash is a delight, and Banjo was a great surprise. A BOTW sequel is also sweet, and AC looks very polished! Dunno about the island stuff, but it looks like we still got traditional stuff plus some new things like paths. Dunno how I feel about the plot direction of Three Houses yet.

Overall, lots of great stuff with some "okay sure", nothing really to scowl at for me.

I'd like a new world to explore in BotW too. And we probably will get one, as all past direct sequels to a Zelda game have left Hyrule and gone somewhere else. MM went to Termina, LA went to Koholint (it's the direct sequel to ALttP), PH went to some new part of the sea away from TWW's Great Sea.

4 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Also the Kongs + Rool reaction to Banjo Kazooie needs to be a gif.

Just saying.

giphy.gif

Suffering from ridiculous allergies, but this is a start.

Edited by Dai

WITCHER 3 ON THE SWITCH TAKE MY MONEY. Played the hell out of that game on my PC, excited to play it on the go soon.

Botw sequel is excited. Banjo in smash is cool, didn't care for the Dragon Quest characters though. Three Houses is looking good (Claude after the time skip <3). Disappointed in the lack of Metroid prime news. But overall decent direct.

Outside of Nintendo, excited for Cyberpunk 2077, Elden Ring, and FF7 remake. 

I hear Meridian Child. I am hype.

Seiken Densetsu 3 (now localized as "Trials of Mana", I suppose) was easily my favorite JRPG from my childhood, even if I never did finish it (I made the mistake of not having anyone in the party promote into a class with healing abilities, which is hard when items only stack to 15). I can't wait to play it again in full 3D with voice acting.

With the game coming next year, I might need to grab the Seiken Densetsu anthology as a refresher and to keep my hype up. I've been eyeing the import for some time now, and I could really use a new game to play on my Switch after finishing Fire Emblem Warriors ages ago.

Link's Awakening was also a childhood favorite, so I'm still hype for that, too. The graphics are so adorable.

This coming year looks like it'll be spot on with its remakes. Is it weird that I'm way more hype about remakes than actual new games?

1 hour ago, Wanderer-Of-Fates said:

@Anacybele Ooh you are totally right! That thought gets me excited! Oh man another MM-like game would be great!

Oh, I didn't mean I wanted it to be like MM. Tbh, I don't. I hated MM's three day system and I wasn't big on Termina or the small number of dungeons in it. Gimme more dungeons than a measly four and don't pressure me with stuff like the three day system.

Man, looks like Fire Emblem coverage is tomorrow. I was waiting for it all day...

Oh well, hopefully that means it'll have a longer segment to showcase more stuff. I'm guessing tomorrow will be the "other big hits" with some repeats to showcase other stuff, while the 3rd day is all about indie games.

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, I didn't mean I wanted it to be like MM. Tbh, I don't. I hated MM's three day system and I wasn't big on Termina or the small number of dungeons in it. Gimme more dungeons than a measly four and don't pressure me with stuff like the three day system.

Ah I see, I can totally understand that viewpoint! I like the game myself but the limited time does sort of stress me sometimes. More dungeons and less time pressure sound good to me! I think the thing that I liked the most in MM is the meaningful side quests and the dark story- so those would be cool in the next game!