E3 2019 - Hopes/Expectations

Anacybele

Ooh, Ubisoft's new Gods and Monsters game looks cool! It reminds me of Zelda with the swordfighting, monsters, and mentions of puzzles and dungeons on the website. I might try this one!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ubisoft starting off with not a game but an ad for an Assassin's Creed Symphony Tour. Maybe I shouldn't be upset at that, but I'm upset at that. It wasn't even to the service of advertising a game. People loved the God of War symphony years ago at Sony, but there was a purpose to that. Today there was nothing to announce as far as Assassin's Creed so it felt like a pointless ad that could have been stuck in a pre-show thing. I guess Ubisoft is going hard on movies and tv shows because two were announced in this event. Plus a big name actor headlining a new Ghost Recon. Watch_Dogs Legion looks great. Even the worst conferences had at least one good game to show and this was that. There's going to be a UPlay subscription thing to get a bunch of their games for 15 dollars a month. That's probably a steal if you want to binge on a bunch of missed assassins creed or far cry games, but if you have been keeping up with these games it's probably very overpriced for its potential value. And the Just Dance video was pretty cute and funny. There were multiple games announced that I cannot remember since it was just a teaser and nothing else. Terminator once again appears in a press conference this year and once again we are left wondering what it's supposed to be. The whole conference felt much longer than it actually was.

I rate this conference a 5.5 out of 10. Watch_Dogs alone will not carry you through the fluff and filler. And it's weird to see Just Dance be one of the coolest things at Ubisoft's show? 

These shows are really testing my perspectives as far as score. Gotta retool some of them:

• Microsoft: 9.1 -> 8.8
  • PC Gaming Show: 7.3 -> 7.8
  • EA: 6.0 -> 6.5
  • Bethesda: 6.3
  • Ubisoft: 5.5

Next up is Squeenix and Nintendo later tonight. Will Japan save this E3?

Edit: Whoops, misread the schedule, Nintendo is tomorrow

Edited by Glennstavos

Watchdog Brexit edition looked surprisingly interesting. I came in with zero interest in the title but saving London with old granny hackers sounds quite cool.  I don't entirely trust Watchdogs though. I remember the first game being full of promise and half of that being lies. 

So what's happening with Skull and Bones? It was revealed years ago and we still don't have a release date. Considering with how much the game is leaning on the already established Black Flag I find it hard to believe the game is in development hell. 

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Ooh, Ubisoft's new Gods and Monsters game looks cool! It reminds me of Zelda with the swordfighting, monsters, and mentions of puzzles and dungeons on the website. I might try this one!

Well, we don't really know anything of the game aside its existence. But it does show some promise. I've always been into Greek mythology and the artstyle looks quite charming. I just wanted to hear something....or anything really about the story and gameplay. 

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well, we don't really know anything of the game aside its existence. But it does show some promise. I've always been into Greek mythology and the artstyle looks quite charming. I just wanted to hear something....or anything really about the story and gameplay. 

Um, there's a trailer and a website, like I said... The website details a little bit of the story and some things players will find in the game, like an open world, dungeons, puzzles, etc. The art style reminds me of BotW, fighting monsters as a sword-wielding hero is Zeldaish, and dungeons and puzzles are a big part of Zelda. So yeah, this is definitely a Zelda-like game.

Edited by Anacybele

I never though it possible to over saturate an already over saturated market, but Ubisoft just did. Almost nothing but samey-looking first person shooters and I was bored out of my mind for most of it.

Square Enix's press conference was.....a thing. Final Fantasy 7 Remake was easily the best part. Then they went into Life is Strange lmao. Imagine going from something hype like FF7R to a shitty game like Life is Strange. Anyway, most of the stuff here was things we already knew about. Avengers PS4 was like the one big new thing they showed and to be honest......it doesn't look great. Comparing it to Spider-Man PS4, Spider-Man PS4 was a passion project. Avengers PS4 just feels like it's trying to cash in on Marvel hype.

Square Enix gets a C.

Square Enix started with FF7 and capped with Avengers. But you'd be hard pressed to remember anything in between. Lots of ports and remasters. Their mobile gacha game got like five minutes. Dragon Quest 11S has a cool ability to go into 16 bit graphics. And also Life is Strange presented by Youtubers. Kingdom Hearts 3 DLC has a dub in neither language, but I guess it's a story DLC where you relive the game's finale through some other playable characters? Uhm...how about 8.1 out of 10? Not a very exciting show to watch on the whole but Final Fantasy 7 was such a masterful presentation. It felt like foreplay with how they teased and groped every single mechanic and reveal. Then they let the game speak for itself with an incredible remaster of what used to be a joke of a boss fight. Also Avengers will probably be very good, it just feels like there's a catch somewhere we don't see yet. I'm not sold yet on such big budget episodic games. For FF7 it makes a weird level of sense because it's a remake, the developers know exactly what to make for each episode. 

Also exclusive Avengers content for Playstation? I rate Sony's crashing of the party a 6.9 out of 10.

even though i am not a big on FF at all, SE conference was the best one so far, by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar. Like the others can't even begin to compare.

Now later today old Ninty. Please, do something good on this shitshow of an E3

Man, these pressers have been a mess. MS' only bright spots were Keanu and Phantasy Star Online 2, Bethesda was patronizing, Ubi was a whole lotta nothing, and the only reason SE's wasn't a disaster was because of FFVII (though I suspect hindsight won't be kind when that game actually releases). Seriously, Avengers was NOT a good capstone to that, not when it's a live-service game

Square Enix wasn't half bad all things considered, FF7 and Avengers are undoubtedly going to be huge points of discussion movie forward, But the fact that they were showing trailers for games that were already out made me feel like they wanted to pad out the run time to over an hour for no real reason. Us east coasters need our beauty sleep too!

Square Enix started strong and weaken over time. All the time could have been saved about ports that we already knew about. Still, need to know more information about the next Avengers game to make a verdict. For some reason, I thought that the next Neir was going to be presented, maybe next year.

STILL NO FUCKING RELEASE DATE FOR LUIGI'S MANSION 3?! ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME?!

I'm super excited as hell for this game, as I'm sure some others are, WHY CAN'T THEY GOD DAMN TELL US WHEN THE GAME IS COMING OUT AFTER OVER HALF A YEAR NOW?! Even if they could only say fall or winter or something! At this rate, it's going to be delayed into 2020.

Edited by Anacybele

Banjo in Smash is real! Woo!

Love everything in the Nintendo Direct thus far. It delivered a lot of what I was looking forward to.

Now to see how the Treehouse Coverage goes...

Edited by Sire

Terrible Direct. Hardly anything new was actually shown, just games we already know of. Though I can understand people being excited for Smash DLC.

The only good things for me here were Luigi's Mansion 3, and that STILL doesn't have a god damn release date, the small Pokemon segment, and a BOTW SEQUEL HOLY SHIT. Otherwise, what rubbish.

Worst part is that I got completely trolled at that dumb Banjo Kazooie trailer for Smash at the end and I'm crying now because I was expecting it to be Dixie Kong. Only to be DISAPPOINTED. I mean, great for Banjo fans. But how could I NOT think it would be Dixie? Highly requested DK character and the trailer started out as DK stuff. THANKS A LOT FOR MAKING ME CRY NINTENDO!

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Worst part is that I got completely trolled at that dumb Banjo Kazooie trailer for Smash at the end and I'm crying now because I was expecting it to be Dixie Kong. Only to be DISAPPOINTED. I mean, great for Banjo fans. But how could I NOT think it would be Dixie? Highly requested DK character and the trailer started out as DK stuff. THANKS A LOT FOR MAKING ME CRY NINTENDO!

Pretty sure it's been officially stated, if not at least in an interview with a half-asleep and hooked up to a caffeine machine Sakurai, that all the DLC characters bar Pirhana Plant (who I think they simply didn't have time to put in the finished game) would be from franchises that have had yet to appear in the Smash series whatsoever.

Joker, Dragon Quest, and Banjo Kazooie all fit the criteria. Dixie... couldn't be farther from the mark.

3 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Pretty sure it's been officially stated, if not at least in an interview with a half-asleep and hooked up to a caffeine machine Sakurai, that all the DLC characters bar Pirhana Plant (who I think they simply didn't have time to put in the finished game) would be from franchises that have had yet to appear in the Smash series whatsoever.

Joker, Dragon Quest, and Banjo Kazooie all fit the criteria. Dixie... couldn't be farther from the mark.

Source? Proof? I have never seen anything stating that. Also, it doesn't make sense because of what I said in the Smash thread about characters from existing franchises in Smash being deserving of getting in.

Edited by Anacybele

Well now, Seiken Densetsu 3, or now Trials of Mana, finally getting an overseas release. Well, the remake isn't that out there considering the last two... but the original game getting an official release as well?

Well, since they're remaking it anyway, might as well. Still, it's interesting how they even bothered to do so...

2 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Okay.

Just how much longer do we have to wait to hear about Shin Megami Tensei V?  A year?  Two?

Doesn't Atlus usually skip E3?

And I think they're trying to figure out how to make demon dating work. That reminds me- I need to update my LP.

This is the only presentation I care to watch, not being into other things. And since as an anti-hype measure my "watching" was silence with minimizing the window and only bringing to back up to see snippets of whatever was being shown, nothing really got me here. No emotions were stirred. A release date for DQXI if it wasn't already known evoked a small smile from me.

Although a revival of this Panzer Dragoon franchise I heard of is sorta interesting, it's RPG-oriented on-rails-shooter Panzer Dragon Saga is a small cult classic I hear, with a ginormous online price tag since I think the company that made the game lost the source code. For a brief moment I thought the scenery was Primordia; where is Monolith's next title? Get it done so XCX2 can get started- not to be rude to whatever it is. I just want the cliffhangers resolved.

And maybe I'll get the Mana Collection, I've only played Sword on iOS, and that wasn't very fun, but I blame the controls.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Doesn't Atlus usually skip E3?

And I think they're trying to figure out how to make demon dating work. That reminds me- I need to update my LP.

I'm not sure.  SMT4 and SMT4A both got shown off at E3 at some point, so I can only assume SMT5 also will, eventually.

Nintendo really knocked it out of the park. I'm quite pleased with the new Zelda. I'm doubly pleased that its a direct sequel of BOTW as I quite liked the main duo there. Zelda being at Links side is incredibly promising. My hope is that she will be playable in some form, my fear is that she gets kidnapped in the first cutscene. And Ganon will likely return in humanoid form. Cool!

Still no Kid Icarus though!