Next Famitsu preview (personal skills and crests)

3 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Maybe scenes which are unlocked by having units close to eachother on the battlefield in a similar vein to supports but the method of viewing it actually in the overworld rather than in a menu.

This is one of the gameplay limitations of Supports I'm not fond of. The system that has so many other limitations that I'm surprised so many people get on RD and SD's case for lacking them.

In-Castle interactions brings to mind Base Conversations, which have so much more potential for character expansion explored using physical locations and objects as props.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Maybe scenes which are unlocked by having units close to eachother on the battlefield in a similar vein to supports but the method of viewing it actually in the overworld rather than in a menu.

Im guessing this^ it's about time we're moving from portrait to portrait with jpg background supports now they're still great then but that's gotta change Persona it up and let us see!

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

7 minutes ago, bethany81707 said:

This is one of the gameplay limitations of Supports I'm not fond of. The system that has so many other limitations that I'm surprised so many people get on RD and SD's case for lacking them.

In-Castle interactions brings to mind Base Conversations, which have so much more potential for character expansion explored using physical locations and objects as props.

I didn't say I wanted that to be how it works, I'd love for supports to be more dynamic in terms of where they take place as the plain barracks background is quite stale. If we get base conversations after chapters with units giving you unique items if you find them in map would be quite fun and almost add a layer in a similar vein to Echoes' dungeon crawling. That was one of my favourite small features about the Tellius games that make them my favourite.

2 hours ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Well if that doesn't give sign that our character has a secret lineage I don't know what will lol. Interesting seems like Hubert isn't from a really big noble family then. 

Well if the scene is part of a support segment then its finally getting focused that's all I want I hope they finally go ALL in on it and don't hide what people obviously want to know about it for next issue before release guess well find out tomorrow.

To be fair, we don't know if Byleth's lineage is a secret at all. For all we know, his/her mother was a member of that original house and he inherited the crest from them. Maybe a minor house or one that fell out of favor with the other nobles.

37 minutes ago, SimplyUnknown said:

To be fair, we don't know if Byleth's lineage is a secret at all. For all we know, his/her mother was a member of that original house and he inherited the crest from them. Maybe a minor house or one that fell out of favor with the other nobles.

Most likely is a secret till a later reveal even if it triggers early from the plot it'll likely be a mystery till then I  doubt they would reveal it very early in the game if it was a minor house they likely wouldn't have a crest like Huberts house seems to be.

There's already a similar theory for this, but I am starting to wonder if Byleth is from a fourth nation that was absorbed by the Adrestian Empire or something.

Also, thinking back to that theory, Byleth was supposed to represent the wind in the Japanese title (wind, flower, snow and moon). If so, his/her crest should be the one that symbolises wind. I'm not entirely convinced about that, but I guess the crest does have wings.

Edited by VincentASM

4 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

There's already a similar theory for this, but I am starting to wonder if Byleth is from a fourth nation that was absorbed by the Adrestian Empire or something.

Also, thinking back to that theory, Byleth was supposed to represent the wind in the Japanese title (wind, flower, snow and moon). If so, his/her crest should be the one that symbolises wind. I'm not entirely convinced about that, but I guess the crest does have wings.

That would make sense - as Byleth seems to awfully linked to the Church. The Chruch of Seiros is under Adrestia, so the the empire conquering the 4th nation results in the crest stone and bone sword of the nation being taken by the Church upon the 4th nation's defeat. The war from the first trailer is between the Adrestia/Knights of Seiros and the Knights of this 4th Realm. Idk how Byleth would get both his crest and the sword back however, as it seems he has the crest relatively close to the start of the game.

13 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

That would make sense - as Byleth seems to awfully linked to the Church. The Chruch of Seiros is under Adrestia, so the the empire conquering the 4th nation results in the crest stone and bone sword of the nation being taken by the Church upon the 4th nation's defeat. The war from the first trailer is between the Adrestia/Knights of Seiros and the Knights of this 4th Realm. Idk how Byleth would get both his crest and the sword back however, as it seems he has the crest relatively close to the start of the game.

Jeralt is a former knight of the church though. Maybe they were gifted or awarded to him when Jeralt was still a Knight of Seiros and he passed the crest onto Byleth while the church held onto the sword? Or Byleth gets the crest when he becomes a teacher at the academy?  

21 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Which can connect to the scarred king with the chain sword first which he has that symbol it could possibly mean he's your actual father if he's still around or he's your mother's father therefore your grandfather that would be possibly interesting.

Oh yeah, here's my analysis of the limited info we have.

It's no surprise that Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude seem to have crests that correspond to the capitals.

Also, not sure if I mentioned it, but it seems characters can have 9 skills.

1 personal (cannot be changed, probably)

3 class (I'm guessing)

5 professor (weapons etc.)

Professor skills from the previous Famitsu:

• Sword Level 1 (Sword) – Grants Hit +5, Avoid +7 and Critical Evade +5 when equipped with Sword
  • Swordbreaker (Lance) – Grants Hit and Avoid +20 when equipped with Lance and foe is equipped with Sword
  • Axe Level 1 (Axe) – Grants Hit +7, Avoid +5 and Critical Evade +5 when equipped with Axe
  • Close Counter (Bow) – Enables counter-attacks when attacked at 1 range
  • Reason Level 1 (Reason) – Grants Hit +7, Avoid +5 and Critical Evade +5 when equipped with Reason
  • Faith Level 1 (Faith) – Grants Hit +5, Avoid +7 and Critical Evade +5 when equipped with Faith

3 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

It's no surprise that Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude seem to have crests that correspond to the capitals.

3 class (I'm guessing)

Hide contents

• Sword Level 1 (Sword) – Grants Hit +5, Avoid +7 and Critical Evade +5 when equipped with Sword
  • Swordbreaker (Lance) – Grants Hit and Avoid +20 when equipped with Lance and foe is equipped with Sword
  • Axe Level 1 (Axe) – Grants Hit +7, Avoid +5 and Critical Evade +5 when equipped with Axe
  • Reason Level 1 (Reason) – Grants Hit +7, Avoid +5 and Critical Evade +5 when equipped with Reason
  • Faith Level 1 (Faith) – Grants Hit +5, Avoid +7 and Critical Evade +5 when equipped with Faith

I like that we got 3 types of skills to work with! I assume the combat increasing skills gets stronger the higher the level is.

17 minutes ago, Etheus said:

This could be the most flexible, replayable FE ever.

While that is exciting, I'm also worried that by focusing so much on customization and replay ability, that the first time experience may not be that engaging potentially. Character palettes don't seem to be in the game, and I'm personally concerned with how much focus the "officer's academy" has in game. Will it feel like a grindy, customization first rpg...or will it feel more like a traditional fire emblem game?

Anyways, I'm sure those who like that stuff will have a blast with this game, and I hope I will as well!

8 minutes ago, Dinar87 said:

While that is exciting, I'm also worried that by focusing so much on customization and replay ability, that the first time experience may not be that engaging potentially. Character palettes don't seem to be in the game, and I'm personally concerned with how much focus the "officer's academy" has in game. Will it feel like a grindy, customization first rpg...or will it feel more like a traditional fire emblem game?

Anyways, I'm sure those who like that stuff will have a blast with this game, and I hope I will as well!

Character color palettes are a problem, and I'd say that this is easily my least favorite cast of characters (except for Conquest) yet.

However, it's hard to say how much of the story actually takes place at the Officer's Academy. It's difficult to showcase the outside/overall world without major plot spoilers, and they are clearly being careful with that.

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

Character color palettes are a problem, and I'd say that this is easily my least favorite cast of characters (except for Conquest) yet.

However, it's hard to say how much of the story actually takes place at the Officer's Academy. It's difficult to showcase the outside/overall world without major plot spoilers, and they are clearly being careful with that.

Yeah that's possible I guess...it's just that with how much they've been showing the officer's academy in their marketing for the game, it makes me think it'll take up nearly the whole game, which I don't think I'd enjoy as much as a traditional fire emblem plot and setting tbh. 

12 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I see Byleth's crest gives them what seems to be a health draining effect on attacks.

There's no way you could actually read that lmao. So I guess the crests are like augments you can activate for combat? Maybe a limited amount of use per map and that's what the triangles are?

7 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

There's no way you could actually read that lmao. So I guess the crests are like augments you can activate for combat? Maybe a limited amount of use per map and that's what the triangles are?

They seem to be at the end of their attack animation in the screen in the upper left corner, with a green "4" and their crest above them.

8 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

They seem to be at the end of their attack animation in the screen in the upper left corner, with a green "4" and their crest above them.

Fair enough, and it seems it isn't linked to the Gambit Boost system so I'd imagine it's activated before combat with limited use. Perhaps Byleth's crest ability is "25% of damage dealt is restored to the user".

On another note. It seems that the personal skills are listed on the right page, with the 3 lords having the same crown symbol with different colours, implying they do a similar thing. Dedue and Felix seem to have the same skill, which is also the same one as Bernadetta in Trailer 2, so I'm intrigued as to how that will work. Dorothea's icon is very clearly a music note, so before we get clearer scans and confirmation, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is not a singing skill as what it looks like, probably some kind of rally effect or something.

14 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

On top of that, there's 16 damage dealt to the enemy and 25% of 16 is 4. So it could be that Byleth's crest has a Sol-like effect.

I'm kind of worried that the teachers don't have a personal skill on that preview. It's not a confirmation of anything of course, but it does make me slightly less optimistic about their chance of being playable characters. 

Anyway, besides that, things look promising. The Bernadette/Dorothea image makes me optimistic that supports have been upgraded to full-fledged events with in-game visuals instead of just still pictures. Personal skills are very welcome especially since everyone starts in identical classes. The crest thing has potential. Looking forward to the full scans and translations!

52 minutes ago, Ayra said:

I'm kind of worried that the teachers don't have a personal skill on that preview. It's not a confirmation of anything of course, but it does make me slightly less optimistic about their chance of being playable characters. 

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Personal skills could be comparable to Jugdral/Tellius rather than Fates, so some character may not have them. Or, they don't want to reveal them at this point.

Edit: Well, looking at it again(been slacking on this one), it does seem weird. They're under their own section, too... so at least we may know fairly quickly.

Edited by Cysx

3 hours ago, VincentASM said:

3 class (I'm guessing)

Reveal hidden contents

The amount of skills available makes it seem like there'll be a wealth of customization in this game, which is promising.

However, I'm a little worried that these -breaker Professor skills will be the extent of the traditional weapon triangle, which we've otherwise seen nothing of. That might be a little weird.

Edited by Disclaimer